Author Topic: Corona Virus. What's going on where you live?  (Read 93147 times)

igrindtwinkies

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 402
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.

KoRnholio8

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1515
  • SkateMagArchive
    • SkateMagArchive avatar image
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: Corona Virus. What's going on where you live?
« Reply #961 on: April 13, 2020, 12:10:37 AM »
Expand Quote
Both, Slovenia's and Austria's prime ministers are mentioning a ban on international leisure travel this summer and also claim that population's herd immunity could take more than a year to establish with a flat curve, pointing to some restrictions being in place for a very long time.

This seems like an overreaction and I doubt my fellow countrymen and women would be able to psychologically handle all these restrictions with no real holidays to look forward to.
[close]

Don't think they are overreacting at all. To get herd inmmunity in a year there would have to be 20.000 cases everyday, combining both countries. Are you able to manage the percentage of people that would need hospitalization?

Until something like quick testing appears I don't see another way to handle this.

Yes, but wouldn't summertime's high temperatures make the virus very hard to contact in the first place?

pica

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -36
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #962 on: April 13, 2020, 12:29:24 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Both, Slovenia's and Austria's prime ministers are mentioning a ban on international leisure travel this summer and also claim that population's herd immunity could take more than a year to establish with a flat curve, pointing to some restrictions being in place for a very long time.

This seems like an overreaction and I doubt my fellow countrymen and women would be able to psychologically handle all these restrictions with no real holidays to look forward to.
[close]

Don't think they are overreacting at all. To get herd inmmunity in a year there would have to be 20.000 cases everyday, combining both countries. Are you able to manage the percentage of people that would need hospitalization?

Until something like quick testing appears I don't see another way to handle this.

[close]

Yes, but wouldn't summertime's high temperatures make the virus very hard to contact in the first place?
Since it spread to hot countries already it‘s possible high temperatures won‘t harm the virus at all...

os89

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1182
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #963 on: April 13, 2020, 08:14:30 PM »
Divide 100 thousand deaths into a population of 7+ billion people and get back to me. It's about .00001 percent. Unless I'm a complete moron, this shit is overhyped.

Edit: or just kook me without explaining why I'm wrong. That's cool.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2020, 10:08:13 PM by os89 »

legion

• Rep: 32
« Reply #964 on: April 13, 2020, 08:59:14 PM »
Dived 100 thousand deaths into a population of 7+ billion people and get back to me. It's about .00001 percent. Unless I'm a complete moron, this shit is overhyped.

This is just getting started. Give it a year or two.

https://abc7news.com/fauci-trump-newsom-coronavirus-update-california-gavin/6100167/
Big press conference for Cali tomorrow at noon. Gonna outline plans for easing up on stay at home restrictions. OR and WA states are in on it too. I haven't read what NYC's plans are but Cali could be similar.

ColinYourAssOut

• Rep: 13
« Reply #965 on: April 13, 2020, 09:05:14 PM »
Dived 100 thousand deaths into a population of 7+ billion people and get back to me. It's about .00001 percent. Unless I'm a complete moron, this shit is overhyped.

A lot of people think it's overhyped at this point.  That is NOT to say it's not a shitty fucking virus that can kill even seemingly healthy people, but even when Swine Flu cases were in every state, it's not like we closed the entire nation down for something that was FAR more fatal to those who got it.

Yes, if you're old or have compromised health, it's something to worry about and avoid going out for some time.  But, there's always a fair chance a HUGE portion of the population has/had it and is just asymptomatic and never even had a clue they were infected.

Notice that the goalposts for how many deaths, how long for lockdowns etc. changes like the wind.  Fauci has flipped more times than Jeffwonsong's board down a 10 stair set on a summer afternoon, the fact is that we honestly don't know enough to really gauge for sure how much of a threat it will be in the long run.  But, all I know is there are some state governors who seem to be a bit TOO happy with projecting the chance of long-term closures at the expense of the livelihoods of those who need it well beyond what most are saying is reasonable, which to me sets off alarm bells that once again, a crisis has been seized to turn into someone else's political opportunities for more power grabs at all costs.

I give it to the start of May, but after that, fuck it, people are going to start rioting if the "experts" try to claim summer has been canceled over this as if the whole world can just grind to a halt without long-term ramifications that we may never rebound from.
You can't beat cheeks with weak meat.

Skeptic

• Rep: -22
« Reply #966 on: April 13, 2020, 09:11:03 PM »
I'm in CO. 300 deaths per 5.7 million people. I'm gonna go ahead and say we overreacted by shutting the country down.

Quique

• Rep: 52
« Reply #967 on: April 14, 2020, 01:11:41 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]
Since it spread to hot countries already it‘s possible high temperatures won‘t harm the virus at all...

Yep, it's in Brazil and in the north (where is 30°C almost all year) it's getting complicated...iirc virus get killed at 65°C, too hot for lungs obviously.

As far as overhype, well a lot of those numbers are the reflection of quarantine. No politician wants to be the face of the new Italy. Swine flu (as common flu) was far easier to identify, you got infected, day two you already had obvious symptoms, can get isolated. This shit can take more than a week to start showing, that time is crucial. But the main reason is lack of information, this is still so new and I bet nobody trust whatever comes from China in terms of medical research.

I'm more afraid of people rioting because they cannot buy food, not holidays to be honest. Third world problems. Let's hope for the best.

Stay safe y'all!

beatifk

• Rep: 162
« Reply #968 on: April 14, 2020, 01:25:47 AM »
Divide 100 thousand deaths into a population of 7+ billion people and get back to me. It's about .00001 percent. Unless I'm a complete moron, this shit is overhyped.

I'm in CO. 300 deaths per 5.7 million people. I'm gonna go ahead and say we overreacted by shutting the country down.

The problem is not the numbers of people dead, the problem is the number of people simultaneously in the ICU. There aren't enough beds/doctors/nurses/equipment to treat all the people getting VERY sick, so doctors are choosing who lives and dies and the hospitals are not trained properly for this type of situation.

In the end, everyone will get the virus, but it's helpful if it's staggered a bit and not everyone gets it during the initial outbreak.

The hospital systems were never overwhelmed by the common seasonal flu. It's not the same.

JudoOrigami

• Rep: -90
« Reply #969 on: April 14, 2020, 01:44:25 AM »
If it's just a simple matter of deciding who lives and dies I'd be happy to help

JudoOrigami

« Reply #970 on: April 14, 2020, 01:50:07 AM »
Im universally hated already so there's no pressure honestly

igrindtwinkies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 402

theresnothinghere

• Rep: 33
  • ugly with a heart of gold
« Reply #972 on: April 14, 2020, 02:14:18 AM »
Stimulus money is being sent out. Just got mine a few hours ago, I'm in california.

Mouth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -297
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #973 on: April 14, 2020, 04:52:57 AM »
Here in Singapore cases are skyrocketing amongst low paid foreign workers. 380 new cases in a day, largely due to the fact that they live 15 to a room in bunk beds. Can't imagine the lock down will be lifted as planned on the 4th of May.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2020, 07:38:26 AM by Mouth »
'No Mouth, you have a negative rep because you are a fan of growing your wealth off of the backs of low paid workers and brag about having bodyguards. You literally kook people for doing charity in South East Asia. Don't deny it.'

JANUS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 598
« Reply #974 on: April 14, 2020, 06:11:45 AM »
If it's just a simple matter of deciding who lives and dies I'd be happy to help

The fun of a virus is that fuckbois like you don’t get to make these decisions. Nature is in charge, bb.
If you can't handle me at my Marc Johnson, you don't deserve me at my Bobby Puleo.

JudoOrigami

« Reply #975 on: April 14, 2020, 06:13:31 AM »
how do you know for certain I'm not mother nature incarnate

lampshade

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 132
« Reply #976 on: April 14, 2020, 06:17:41 AM »
Lots of masks.  More people getting out as opposed to a week or two ago.  I have two big dogs, so I have no choice to walk them, but I keep it super local.  We have three grocery stores in the neighborhood that are all open. 

Our parks are all closed down, playground equipment and tennis courts all chained off.  Buses and Metro are still running. No idea how the six foot rule works there.  This is inside the beltway DC suburbs. 

JANUS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 598
« Reply #977 on: April 14, 2020, 06:21:57 AM »
how do you know for certain I'm not mother nature incarnate

Well shit, I don’t lol.
If you can't handle me at my Marc Johnson, you don't deserve me at my Bobby Puleo.

ihatejulio

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1124
« Reply #978 on: April 14, 2020, 10:31:54 AM »
Stimulus money is being sent out. Just got mine a few hours ago, I'm in california.

I'm in California too. I just checked my bank account out of curiosity and sure enough, $1200 was deposited in my account. Very grateful to have that happen because being unemployed right now has pushed my persistent anxiety to its brink. Temporary relief from that feeling is a godsend.

tom

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 989
  • the moon rules
« Reply #979 on: April 14, 2020, 04:29:51 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I'm in California too. I just checked my bank account out of curiosity and sure enough, $1200 was deposited in my account. Very grateful to have that happen because being unemployed right now has pushed my persistent anxiety to its brink. Temporary relief from that feeling is a godsend.
Have you filed for unemployment yet? Everyone has been complaining about the process, but they approved my claim within 4 days. I got the edd debit card within a few days of certifying for benefits. The extra $600/week hasn’t shown up in my account, but I’m not stressing yet. They’ve seemed to be on top of their shit with it so far

I drove by Griffith park in LA today and people were treating it like the first day of summer. Families all out and about, picnics in the park, games of catch, etc.. Shit like that makes me feel like this is gonna stretch out longer than it has to
fuck you bama

VHS ERA

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 211
« Reply #980 on: April 14, 2020, 05:57:32 PM »

What if it’s only 300 because social distancing worked and it coulda been way worse like it is here. Just sayin.

TheLurper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 640
« Reply #981 on: April 14, 2020, 06:15:50 PM »
The park was packed with people today, but everyone seemed to be keeping a bit of distance.

The line at Canadian Tire (kind of like a Target mixed with a Home Depot, sort of) was a million miles long.

I walked 2 miles to an amazing Portuguese place to get some take out... only to find out that they closed Sunday through Wednesday. Kind of bummed on that one.

Quote from: ChuckRamone
I love when people bring up world hunger. It makes everything meaningless.
"That guy is double parked."
"Who cares? There are people starving to death! Besides, how does that affect you? Does it lessen the joy of parking?

PlugSkullcandy

• Rep: 93
« Reply #982 on: April 14, 2020, 07:21:49 PM »
So I got the virus, 2 weeks with ups and downs but it feel a lot better now ! Still a little tired but it’s OK

Watched a ton of skate videos from different eras, I fell asleep watching Transworld Feedback with a fever i had strange psychedelic dreams involving Chad Muska and Geoff Rowley speaking French.

The worst thing is my uncle I never talk to sending not funny COVID memes I’ve seen 2 weeks ago every hour

Here in France it’s locked until at least may 11th

Stay safe Slap people

LesbianPUNCH

• Rep: 25
« Reply #983 on: April 14, 2020, 09:05:13 PM »
So I got the virus, 2 weeks with ups and downs but it feel a lot better now ! Still a little tired but it’s OK

Watched a ton of skate videos from different eras, I fell asleep watching Transworld Feedback with a fever i had strange psychedelic dreams involving Chad Muska and Geoff Rowley speaking French.

The worst thing is my uncle I never talk to sending not funny COVID memes I’ve seen 2 weeks ago every hour

Stay safe Slap people

Curious, were you actually tested or did you just self-quarantine? I’m pretty sure I had the virus late February, but at the time I don’t even know if there were confirmed cases in the states yet. I don’t know anyone (and haven’t heard from anyone) who has actually gotten a test.

JudoOrigami

« Reply #984 on: April 14, 2020, 09:10:12 PM »
The park was packed with people today, but everyone seemed to be keeping a bit of distance.

The line at Canadian Tire (kind of like a Target mixed with a Home Depot, sort of) was a million miles long.

I walked 2 miles to an amazing Portuguese place to get some take out... only to find out that they closed Sunday through Wednesday. Kind of bummed on that one.

Yeah the random changing of store hours has been the most annoying thing of this for me every time I go to the LCBO it's just closed and I have to hit up walmart for wine when I actually want vodka.

As for whether or not the lockdown was necessary that shit was spreading like wildfire through the NBA alone. When that first game got cancelled while tipoff was about to happen that should have tipped everyone off to the fact this shit was about to get very real very quick. I wonder if Rudy Gobert will ever bounce back from this. Personally I don't care but anyone who's a true germaphobe may never forgive the guy.

JudoOrigami

« Reply #985 on: April 14, 2020, 09:21:40 PM »
Which reminds me I miss the NBA so fuckin much and I'm not even that into sports. bucks raptors lakers and clippers were all looking so good this year and the current Toronto Raptors roster is so damn entertaining to watch. Never realized how important those regular season games were to maintaining my sanity.

Dope that Norm Powell is still player of the week tho cuz he's player of the week for me every week <3333

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 951
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #986 on: April 14, 2020, 11:03:06 PM »
I don't understand curfew at all. I'm don't want to go out in the day
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

JudoOrigami

« Reply #987 on: April 14, 2020, 11:10:21 PM »
Agreed fuck the day

Mr.Jenkins

• Rep: 159
« Reply #988 on: April 14, 2020, 11:51:56 PM »
Still no lockdown in Sweden. Been out skating everyday. Its all strange though, a lot of people doesn't seem to care at all looking at playgrounds, parks and restaurants. Its a strange feeling in the city though, since a lot of peopleDO care about it, so its kinda empty but packed at the same time, if that makes sense.

With that said.. A distance cousin to my mom passed yesterday in Covid-19, 58 years old. We dont know him, but heard he didnt have a healthy lifestyle to start with. Makes it a bit real for me anyhow.

PlugSkullcandy

• Rep: 93
« Reply #989 on: April 15, 2020, 02:04:19 AM »
Expand Quote

Stay safe Slap people
[close]

Curious, were you actually tested or did you just self-quarantine? I’m pretty sure I had the virus late February, but at the time I don’t even know if there were confirmed cases in the states yet. I don’t know anyone (and haven’t heard from anyone) who has actually gotten a test.

I was tested - I have type 1 diabetes so they tested me. I think if I wasn’t diabetic they wouldn't have tested me - at least this is the policy they follow here in France.

They didn’t let me stay at the hospital, at first I was panicking but they were right.  They said I was not that bad. Just one night I woke up with pain in my chest - like imagine somebody sitting on your chest blocking your breath... overall I didn’t cough a lot, but I was VERY tired.

Some people I know had (or still have) the symptoms but weren’t tested. I was tested.

So I don’t know the rules they follow in the States, but here in France the way they handle it seems a bit odd sometimes.

I have to admit I have no faith in the French government for a lot of reasons (like Macron telling people it’s not important to wear a mask and showing up on TV with a mask 4 days later) but we have strong caregivers and doctors.