Author Topic: Corona Virus. What's going on where you live?  (Read 93150 times)

givecigstosurfgroms

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -958
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
Re: Corona Virus. What's going on where you live?
« Reply #1440 on: July 13, 2020, 02:39:37 PM »
I agree that basic mistrust is validated. But it should be applied universally, including first and foremost ones own judgements.
  'Should' dosen't mean much and "you'd have to be pretty dumb not to believe the health authorities" is just thick.  Things like peoples income bracket and how they were raised, general mental health issues combined are all understandable predicaments that can affect smart people.  And that being said, I wouldn't trust any authorities outright period.  Bad plan to blanket trust people in power, bad concept to promote. 
"I just care about the river, I dont care about your back"

EdLawndale

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1104
    • My Wife avatar image
« Reply #1441 on: July 13, 2020, 02:47:12 PM »
Governor Newsom just reinstated a LOT of restrictions here in CA due to surging cases...
"Was just about to say, wtf is up with this EdLawndale guy?"

Alan

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2537
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1442 on: July 13, 2020, 03:20:55 PM »
Again, people who believe a global pandemic is a hoax are dumb. People who believe in conspiracy theories are dumb. And you can find them across social and economic strata and cultures, so the argument about these people's background doesn't hold water. Maybe they do have mental health issues, but that only means that their beliefs aren't grounded in facts.

Blanket distrust of medical authority (in the sense of expertise, not power) leads to incidents like these. It leads to people drinking bleach. That's the result of being a "free thinker." Only they didn't come up with these ideas themselves. They saw them on the internet and chose to believe them. They thought some YT rando was more trustworthy than the whole scientific community. That's plain dumb.
Hosin' out the cab of his pickup truck
He's got his 8-track playin' really fuckin' loud

Allen.

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 732
    • Cigarettes for Cardio avatar image
« Reply #1443 on: July 13, 2020, 03:26:27 PM »
The more and more this goes on, the more guilty I feel for thinking that this was “just a flu” in the very beginning. It was very short lived, and for the most part, I kept my mouth shut, but my god.

Also, we’re completely and totally fucked.
For someone w.no signature ur awfully hostile, & that is why I do this

Joe Pesci

« Reply #1444 on: July 13, 2020, 03:57:24 PM »
Blanket distrust of medical authority (in the sense of expertise, not power) leads to incidents like these. It leads to people drinking bleach. That's the result of being a "free thinker." Only they didn't come up with these ideas themselves. They saw them on the internet and chose to believe them. They thought some YT rando was more trustworthy than the whole scientific community. That's plain dumb.

Vaccines are being used to inject microchips to make you a slave to Bill Gates when 5G is fully released man, I read it online its facts

Hyliannightmare

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -199
« Reply #1445 on: July 13, 2020, 06:15:56 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Vaccines are being used to inject microchips to make you a slave to Bill Gates when 5G is fully released man, I read it online its facts

Fuck they got me

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 307
« Reply #1446 on: July 13, 2020, 07:08:33 PM »
Local school district is soon to announce fall plans. It’s assumed to be some kind of hybrid model.

Wife announced today out of the blue “well I’m not sending the kids in no matter what.  You can homeschool them!”

Fuck me. This is going to get ugly.

Nick..

• Rep: 10
« Reply #1447 on: July 13, 2020, 07:50:40 PM »
Cases have been plummeting in Ontario since the end of May, most of the province is entering Stage 3 by Friday while the GTA has to wait another week at least.

Wild how successful a country can be in treating a virus when it’s treated as a public health & safety matter and not like a game of political football.

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 146
« Reply #1448 on: July 13, 2020, 08:48:37 PM »
https://abc13.com/covid-party-19-death-coronavirus/6312899/

Expand Quote
A San Antonio doctor said one of her hospital's patients, a 30-year-old man, died after attending a so-called "COVID party" -- a bizarre trend where young people intentionally get together with someone who's infected.

Dr. Jane Appleby, chief medical officer for Methodist Hospital and Methodist Children's Hospital, said the patient thought the coronavirus pandemic was a hoax.

"He thought he was young and he was invincible and wouldn't get affected ... One of the things that was heart-wrenching that he said to his nurse was, 'I think I made a mistake,'" she said.
[close]

Why on Earth would you think it's a hoax?

Group think ...probably was convinced by a conspiracy theorist

blurst_of_times

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 816
    • Skateboarding Magazine Scans avatar image
« Reply #1449 on: July 13, 2020, 10:16:04 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
  All this lock down shit and suspension of basic rights was a huge mistep -im sure time will inform us of this.    No I don't think it was a conspiracy.
[close]

What basic human rights have you been denied during this time?
[close]
   Operative term is 'lock down' bro.  Right for sanity right to make a living.
What about the basic right of being healthy? Frontline/essential workers don't have that option
There was no wire. Clark's planet needed him.
 Note: Clark Hassler died on the way back to his home planet.

gnarlycharlie

• Rep: -4
« Reply #1450 on: July 14, 2020, 09:11:57 AM »
west palm beach florida just wear a mask in stores and shit wash your hands been solid and skating the whole time pretty sure alot of it is just propaganda people need to turn the tv off

ok boomer

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1028
  • Gnar Kook
« Reply #1451 on: July 14, 2020, 09:26:18 AM »

Ms. Tamzarian

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 735
  • I like dork tricks :/
« Reply #1452 on: July 14, 2020, 09:57:45 AM »
What about the basic right of being healthy? Frontline/essential workers don't have that option

You have only to look at the numbers in other countries to begin to perceive how much we fucked ourselves, and it gets worse every goddamn day

Trump, Fox News, the Christian Right, "free thinkers" on the internet, and all the other climate-denying, COVID denying, common-sense denying idiots have massive amounts of blood on their hands. Your "political" opinions are literally murderous.

Real shit all around, thank you both for these.

I hope everyone is healthy this week and please be safe.

Johnes, we are wishing the best for your family - hopefully things have been stable for you and your folks!

Gnarfunkell

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 136
« Reply #1453 on: July 14, 2020, 12:25:49 PM »
What's so tough about all the anti-science or really anti-common knowledge people in the world is that factual information does nothing for them. I feel like the thing they like most is this sense of having "true knowledge" or knowing the "real reality".

There are so many imbeciles all over the world, and rejecting the norms of "intelligent society" makes them think they're smarter than everyone else.

Freaky times y'all. Stay safe and stay informed.

whale

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 207
« Reply #1454 on: July 14, 2020, 01:23:47 PM »
Cases on the rise again after gradually opening up during the summer, nothing drastic yet but confirmed cases at a kindergarten.
This happened about 5 days ago.
The cases weren’t at our kindergarten, but got the kid tested today anyways because he had a runny nose.
Takes a few days, we’ll see.

Joe Pesci

« Reply #1455 on: July 14, 2020, 05:17:24 PM »
What's so tough about all the anti-science or really anti-common knowledge people in the world is that factual information does nothing for them. I feel like the thing they like most is this sense of having "true knowledge" or knowing the "real reality".

There are so many imbeciles all over the world, and rejecting the norms of "intelligent society" makes them think they're smarter than everyone else.

Dunning Kruger effect combined with people who believe everything they read and hear on the internet... I had a couple friends tell me that humans can't get viruses and that this isn't real, and another who acknowledged the virus exists but reposted a video of some lady talking about how you should hold your breath for 10 seconds or gargle vinegar to prevent corona. I'm just thinking to myself dude how do you guys believe this shit.

The guy who said people can't get viruses, I didn't expect him to ever be a person that would say some shit like that. I made it pretty clear how ridiculous what he just said was without being condescending or insulting and he was still just like "Idk man, I'm just trying to keep an open mind. Check out these doctors on youtube" and it was basically 2 different guys both preaching some conspiracy shit about how this is all about controlling the masses.

A lot of people should just stay the fuck off the internet. Think about the fact that a lot of these people vote... then again I don't believe our presidential votes matter but that's a whole different discussion

VHS ERA

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 211
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1456 on: July 14, 2020, 05:58:50 PM »
Zero covid deaths in NYC the other day, first time since the March.

I’d feel better if the whole country was moving in the right direction (ya know, like if we had any kind of science guided national response and citizens smart enough to listen to it), but it’s not.

Telly

• Rep: -150
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #1457 on: July 14, 2020, 08:24:44 PM »
https://abc13.com/covid-party-19-death-coronavirus/6312899/

Expand Quote
A San Antonio doctor said one of her hospital's patients, a 30-year-old man, died after attending a so-called "COVID party" -- a bizarre trend where young people intentionally get together with someone who's infected.

Dr. Jane Appleby, chief medical officer for Methodist Hospital and Methodist Children's Hospital, said the patient thought the coronavirus pandemic was a hoax.

"He thought he was young and he was invincible and wouldn't get affected ... One of the things that was heart-wrenching that he said to his nurse was, 'I think I made a mistake,'" she said.
[close]

Why on Earth would you think it's a hoax?

Unfortunately this story is the hoax.  This a third hand story that is most likely not true.  The problem with this bullshit is once it gets exposed as a lie then the “hoaxers” have more ammo to not social distance/wear masks/etc.

Alan

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2537
« Reply #1458 on: July 14, 2020, 08:47:27 PM »
Yeah, there is only one source, and the patient died, so it's hard to corroborate, and I'm sure the news cycle is already over this particular story. But there are many corroborated reports of people partying and getting infected as a result. They obviously didn't believe they were in any danger, which is worrying.
Hosin' out the cab of his pickup truck
He's got his 8-track playin' really fuckin' loud

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1489
  • Illusion Flip
« Reply #1459 on: July 14, 2020, 09:11:09 PM »
I find it even more worrisome about the people talking about being sick for months with this without any viable treatment. Just feeling like hell and exhaustion. No thanks.

I'd rather err on the side of caution and be called names by anonymous internet conspiracy nuts than have to go through any version of that.

Telly

« Reply #1460 on: July 14, 2020, 09:17:54 PM »
Yeah, there is only one source, and the patient died, so it's hard to corroborate, and I'm sure the news cycle is already over this particular story. But there are many corroborated reports of people partying and getting infected as a result. They obviously didn't believe they were in any danger, which is worrying.

Absolutely.  I agree people are being reckless and partying and transmitting a deadly disease. But false reports of “covid parties” ala the chicken pox gatherings of the old days just give the fanatical “they are Stripping my rights” crowd more ammunition, as this is fake news.  So if this news is fake, they will tell you, then what else is bullshit?  And it goes both ways.
I believe this is a particularly nasty and easily transmitted disease which I am planning to do my best to avoid, while not spending all my savings on Uber eats and other delivery services.  I’ll wear a mask and if the grocery store is super busy I’ll go back later and drive around looking for a curb.  I just keep my board in the car all the time now and get mini-sessions in sometimes when the gas station is full of people or sams club is particularly stroller-y.

Telly

« Reply #1461 on: July 14, 2020, 09:19:24 PM »
I find it even more worrisome about the people talking about being sick for months with this without any viable treatment. Just feeling like hell and exhaustion. No thanks.

I'd rather err on the side of caution and be called names by anonymous internet conspiracy nuts than have to go through any version of that.

Same.  Or even by my friends for skipping gatherings

Billy Bitchcakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 478
  • Q U I T E S T Y L I S H
« Reply #1462 on: July 15, 2020, 03:26:02 AM »

During sex to prevent myself from ejaculating I think about Osama Bin Laden running my dick through a sewing machine.

Gnarfunkell

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 136
« Reply #1463 on: July 15, 2020, 06:49:31 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I remember writing a report in my middle school history class about how I'd rather live in the pre-agricultural age... I want that more with each passing day lol.

johnes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -238
« Reply #1464 on: July 15, 2020, 07:05:18 AM »
My parents are feeling better, now that they have some strength back they have been spending a lot of time working on their garden. Me and my wife are good but now that I’m back at work, there still ways chance that I could pick up Covid and bring it back home to my wife. Me and her both tested negative, hopefully it stays that way.

I don’t remember if I said it on here but my half sister, her husband and one of their daughters all got Covid and recovered. The crazy thing is that their youngest daughter never got it even tho they were all in the house together. She was even tested multiple times.

One of my friends who lives in San Antonio TX is working on some case study involving Covid patients. She normally works with blood all day but out of the 100 cases they have in their study, 20 have died already. I’m not sure what the age ranges are of the study tho.
I’m a fat Siamese cat.

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -958
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #1465 on: July 15, 2020, 03:50:40 PM »
  Making someone cover their face is pretty symbolic.  A great reason not to wear one is to advocate freedoms that are completely serious.
"I just care about the river, I dont care about your back"

Buck Russell

• Rep: -318
  • Bug or gnat?
« Reply #1466 on: July 15, 2020, 05:53:54 PM »
  Making someone cover their face is pretty symbolic.  A great reason not to wear one is to advocate freedoms that are completely serious.
this is an interesting point.

a lot of people see muslim women being forced to cover their face as highly oppressive and problematic . and they're right.

there are however many muslim women who say they like wearing the covering and would do so even if they weren't forced to and they're also right.

Enrico Pallazzo

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Rep: 218
« Reply #1467 on: July 15, 2020, 05:57:00 PM »

It’s as symbolic as you want it to be. You can look at it as some weird marker of freedom or you can look at it as just part of daily life due to an unforeseen epidemic and doing your best to prevent the spread and protect others. There’s no freedom judge that’s going to give you demerits for not being selfish.

Buck Russell

• Rep: -318
  • Bug or gnat?
« Reply #1468 on: July 15, 2020, 06:00:50 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

It’s as symbolic as you want it to be. You can look at it as some weird marker of freedom or you can look at it as just part of daily life due to an unforeseen epidemic and doing your best to prevent the spread and protect others. There’s no freedom judge that’s going to give you demerits for not being selfish.
the problem is the people who said it was a slippery slope from day one were right. it is reasonable to put one on inside especially like a grocery store or something and it's not that big of a deal

but then here comes mandates to wear them outside which no sane person can argue is reasonable so..

everyone who resisted from the start was proven right with the eventual overstep that has no end in sight.

Enrico Pallazzo

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Rep: 218
« Reply #1469 on: July 15, 2020, 07:46:34 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
the problem is the people who said it was a slippery slope from day one were right. it is reasonable to put one on inside especially like a grocery store or something and it's not that big of a deal

but then here comes mandates to wear them outside which no sane person can argue is reasonable so..

everyone who resisted from the start was proven right with the eventual overstep that has no end in sight.

So... people refused to wear masks at all early in the outbreak because “slippery slope”,which then caused numbers to rise, which then lead to more stringent requirements since they wouldn’t follow guidelines, and you’re saying they’ve been proven right for not following recommendations in the first place?

I will say I think the CDC and WHO share a portion of the blame for allowing anti-mask rhetoric to take hold by being unclear and changing their message on transmission so many times in early spring.