Author Topic: why aren't the kids skating transition?  (Read 3757 times)

dr.prestige

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 330
  • rest in peace Loaf
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: why aren't the kids skating transition?
« Reply #60 on: November 01, 2022, 12:35:25 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Obviously no one posting here lives in the Northwest because I find this question baffling.
[close]

Fellow PNW rider, the whole vibe up here is hunting for the coolest bowl. One of the first parks I started riding had the worst street section and a bowled out snake run/pump track around a 10ft deep end.

Idk, crawling walls and doing slashes and disasters speaks to me more than tech or gaps.

I will say, not much is worse than a dogshit bowl. Either no speed lines or bad features can really kill any luster skating tranny offers.
[close]

what do pnw riders consider to be the coolest bowl?

Not really a single bowl per se but I fucking love Newberg. The funnest place to skate in my opinion and it barely has even one ledge. I also enjoy the penis bowl in McMinnville. Aumsville is also super rad.

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Obviously no one posting here lives in the Northwest because I find this question baffling.
[close]

Fellow PNW rider, the whole vibe up here is hunting for the coolest bowl. One of the first parks I started riding had the worst street section and a bowled out snake run/pump track around a 10ft deep end.

Idk, crawling walls and doing slashes and disasters speaks to me more than tech or gaps.

I will say, not much is worse than a dogshit bowl. Either no speed lines or bad features can really kill any luster skating tranny offers.
[close]

[close]

Donald

Donald is gnarly. Perhaps I'm too green to skate there but all I could muster is a slash grind. It's a fun visit and my roommates at the time really liked it but I could only take so much of it before I basically had nothing else to throw at it, I didn't feel like eating shit that day lol.

Op, you ok man? Being real here, you doin alright?

versacekid420

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1259
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #61 on: November 01, 2022, 01:33:56 PM »
too busy going through it

pleasent street

• Rep: -91
« Reply #62 on: November 01, 2022, 01:36:50 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Well its a hunt like i said, i havent found "the coolest" but off the top of the dome:

Lincoln city has a bunch of cool sections, Delridge and Greenlake in Seattle have sick bowls. Battleground is awesome, Burnside should be mentioned (not technically a "bowl" but skates like one), Marginal Way if youre trying to get gnarly. The Apple Bowl in Wenatchee is pretty sick too, Whitefish and Polson in Montana are both beasts.

There's a number of Evergreen parks around too, if you're into a different kind of transition. Hamilton, Alberton, and Stevensville in MT are rad parks from them.

cool. i tried to check out as many bowls as possible when i was in oregon and i was shocked at how many of them i could barely skate. i'm fairly comfortable skating big transition but so many of them were just so much tighter and steeper than what i am used to. but i also didn't really see anyone else at the local parks skate the bowls, everyone would just be skating the street obstacles. maybe i was just going at weird times of the day. my favorite bowls that i skated were bingen and glenhaven. checked out lincoln city, west linn and burnside too but i basically got overwhelmed trying to skate them, those are the sort of parks where i think you need to have a few sessions getting to know the place before you can really start skating it properly.

bo bice

• Rep: 88
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #63 on: November 01, 2022, 01:41:34 PM »
a 7-year-old just landed a 900 last week, what are you talking about

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1582
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #64 on: November 01, 2022, 02:14:53 PM »
You’re right….a kid is skating transition….you win. 

frontsideNECKTIE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 222
  • Precision Posture
« Reply #65 on: November 01, 2022, 03:03:52 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Well its a hunt like i said, i havent found "the coolest" but off the top of the dome:

Lincoln city has a bunch of cool sections, Delridge and Greenlake in Seattle have sick bowls. Battleground is awesome, Burnside should be mentioned (not technically a "bowl" but skates like one), Marginal Way if youre trying to get gnarly. The Apple Bowl in Wenatchee is pretty sick too, Whitefish and Polson in Montana are both beasts.

There's a number of Evergreen parks around too, if you're into a different kind of transition. Hamilton, Alberton, and Stevensville in MT are rad parks from them.
[close]

cool. i tried to check out as many bowls as possible when i was in oregon and i was shocked at how many of them i could barely skate. i'm fairly comfortable skating big transition but so many of them were just so much tighter and steeper than what i am used to. but i also didn't really see anyone else at the local parks skate the bowls, everyone would just be skating the street obstacles. maybe i was just going at weird times of the day. my favorite bowls that i skated were bingen and glenhaven. checked out lincoln city, west linn and burnside too but i basically got overwhelmed trying to skate them, those are the sort of parks where i think you need to have a few sessions getting to know the place before you can really start skating it properly.

OR definitely has some gnarly stuff; Florence, Reedsport, Pier Park, the upper bowl at Hood River is fucked up. I could spend 2 months easy at Lincoln City finding lines.

Bingen is a fun park, that bowl is money too.
Wow sorry, didn't realise I was dealing with a sick cunt here

JoseCansnake0

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: -30
« Reply #66 on: November 01, 2022, 03:22:14 PM »
Honestly, I think more parks need a good mini ramp, or two for that matter, one thats like 2-4' and another thats like 5-6'. That would satisfy the vast majority of transition needs, and really help decongest the rest of the park while also segmenting some of the more dangerous young kids to the little mini.
[/quote]

THIS! Love me a good pivot fakie

Uncle Flea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 965
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #67 on: November 01, 2022, 03:40:18 PM »
They go too small sometimes. They expect kids to get good on a something we wouldn't even use as a jump ramp back in the day.

Falling on these little cement ramps is the worst too.

I'd rather it be crazy tight if we're going 2.2 foot tall.
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

JoseCansnake0

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: -30
« Reply #68 on: November 01, 2022, 05:13:39 PM »
They go too small sometimes. They expect kids to get good on a something we wouldn't even use as a jump ramp back in the day.

Falling on these little cement ramps is the worst too.

I'd rather it be crazy tight if we're going 2.2 foot tall.

4ft with 5ft extension. Learn every trick in the book

work_lurker

• Rep: 82
  • I've never had a shaved head in my entire life
« Reply #69 on: November 01, 2022, 05:30:57 PM »
Because VANs indoor park in Orange closed down. Was a daycare and training facility for kids under 10 who could 540.
Hopefully not a kook, but if so, fuck it.

pleasent street

• Rep: -91
« Reply #70 on: November 01, 2022, 05:34:50 PM »
seems to me like all these kids who can do 540s and 900s exist on the internet but not irl because i've never seen it

KGB

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -461
« Reply #71 on: November 01, 2022, 05:40:56 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I’d say Pier. There’s 3 of them small medium and crazy.

"Armed with seven rounds of space doo-doo pistols"

boi-cuzudo

« Reply #72 on: November 02, 2022, 08:28:16 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

I’d say Pier. There’s 3 of them small medium and crazy.

lincoln city, tigard, bingen, battleground and many others...the pnw is too spoiled

Spacenoid

• Rep: 0
« Reply #73 on: December 20, 2022, 04:01:19 PM »
bowl at my local skatepark has more kids inside it smoking weed in the evenings than people I've *ever* seen skating it.

rukes

• Rep: 217
  • Yabba dabba doo
« Reply #74 on: December 20, 2022, 04:04:42 PM »
Why shred bowls when you can smoke em?
Is it true?  Or did you read it on the slap message board?

gnidraobetaks

• Rep: 22
« Reply #75 on: December 20, 2022, 06:53:18 PM »
Why skate transition when you can win soty skating flat ground?

ziggy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -217
« Reply #76 on: December 20, 2022, 07:02:50 PM »
because Jimmy is so good he makes everyone want to quit