Author Topic: Wtf is up with the nine club  (Read 351148 times)

shouldn't

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 73
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Wtf is up with the nine club
« Reply #3060 on: April 23, 2024, 11:40:27 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Kelly, I know you’re reading this. Roberts is an asshole to you and clearly doesn’t give a fuck about your opinions. Every time you speak, Roberts has already dismissed whatever you’re going to say before you say it. You can see it on his face and hear it in his voice. Maybe you’ve found a way to justify it. Maybe it’s a gimmick for the show. Regardless, you know exactly what I’m talking about.

I hope dude treats you much better off camera. We all deserve better friends than that.
[close]

I noticed that Crob only picks on Kelly when certain people are around. Catching up on the episodes now, and Im on the one with &&, & was thrown off by Roberts being normal to him

Excited for the Karl Watson ep. Kinda surprised he actually went on
[close]

Interesting, I haven't noticed that. I still don't like it. Kelly has a wealth of skateboarding knowledge, seems to be all positive vibes, has a big hand in booking guests so I know he pulls his weight, and honestly was just as productive and talented on a skateboard as anyone else in the room. But every time he speaks, Roberts makes an assy face. At least Jeron gives him the time of day.
yeah he just needs a “boss bitch” and he’s all good. anybody have those screen shots still?  ;D

in all seriousness i have grown to like him more over the years due to the things you mentioned. he doesn’t trail off the way crob does and he actually asks interesting questions when it does start to shift away from the focus point. i’m all for it going off topic at times the way any podcast does as they all warm up to each other, it doesn’t always have to be crob “sarcastically”  talking himself up though. the sw flip manny thing was fine as a staple joke of the show with the tablets playing and all that but man, he’s really gotten carried away with it. kelly is just an oc bro deep down & makes himself a target sometimes almost purposefully seemingly.

one thing kelly does that i have noticed more recently that almost bothers me even more than crob’s narcissistic sarcasm is he will one up people in a very nonchalant, almost “slide” kind of way. for instance, in this episode karl is talking about how he was struggling a bit to do the 360 flip over the gap in it’s official, whilst thanking kelly & complimenting him on how well he does giving trick tips. kelly is just like “yeah that was fun man, i think that’s the day i nollie tre’d it.” i really can’t stand when people do that. it’s funny too because he never does it to chris when he brings up the sw flip manny even though kelly’s trick is way crazier, fear of getting eldy’d i assume.

imagine fucking the dog shit outta chris roberts

kookdusoleil

• Rep: 46
  • Have fun out there
« Reply #3061 on: April 23, 2024, 03:43:30 PM »
Was going to tell a story about how Karl Watson was incredibly cool to me and my friends at pier 7, but it seems many have already told the exact same story - and that's awesome. Love Karl.

FWIW I didn't get the vibe he was shitting on the Bunt. I think he was just giving it up for the people he was sharing the room with.

Uncle Flea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 964
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #3062 on: April 23, 2024, 05:37:17 PM »
Expand Quote
'Karl is def someone i wanna meet someday. He reminds me of my little brothers. Makes me wonder if his mom is like my mom.

i know it sounds funny but its triggering all memories. Its just the way he speaks and carries himself. I cannot help but look back and weigh it.
[close]

when I was like 16 skating around pier 7 I got to meet him. He was genuinely nice to me and my friends even though we were probably annoying and obviously not from there. I never forgot that. He’s a special dude.

It the way he talks. He sounds like my brother who lived in California for a while.

I checked some other interviews.
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

somedudefromnj

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
« Reply #3063 on: April 23, 2024, 08:07:11 PM »
I’ve told this story here before, but my first time skating in SF I met Karl. I was probably only 10 or 11 and the first spot my mom took me and my brother to was pier 7. I was trying to ollie up the small part for a good 20 mins and when I finally made it and was preparing to roll of the bigger part I was snatched of my board and spun around in a big circle. “Hell yeah lil homie!” I heard from above. “You got that!” I look up and it’s Karl with a big smile on his face. So stoked for everyone at any level. I will always remember that.

It was a heavy session: Karl, Henry Sanchez, Pat Washington, Fabrizio Santos, and I wanna say a young Jack Curtain were there. Sanch yelled at me for getting in his way. I’ll remember that forever too.

My mom bought me a pair of AWS wheels and my brother Spitfires from a sketchy looking dude who had an Indy logo tattoo that was colored outside the lines. I really wanted the Dan Pageau world deck he had but my mom didn’t want to give him more than $20 lol

and just like that I have decided to buy a maxallure board. Not my thing but hey

Lol. Eldee is definitely a human. He’s like a raider on horse back who’s kinda scared to do battle. Somehow he closes his eyes and swings his sword wildly and wakes up in a pile of dead orcs.

CarcassToss

• Rep: 27
« Reply #3064 on: April 23, 2024, 09:09:32 PM »
I've had a Max Allure deck that I liked and it looked a little different. Took some pics and DM'ed Karl. Turns out it was a run they did during Covid that was supposed to be team only. He got my address and sent me 3 more for free. Haven't found one of them since, but can only imagine he hooks up kids and his local community just as much.

Shuh

• Rep: 4
« Reply #3065 on: April 23, 2024, 10:02:03 PM »
I've had a Max Allure deck that I liked and it looked a little different. Took some pics and DM'ed Karl. Turns out it was a run they did during Covid that was supposed to be team only. He got my address and sent me 3 more for free. Haven't found one of them since, but can only imagine he hooks up kids and his local community just as much.

Dam i need to convince my local to carry MXA

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 144
« Reply #3066 on: April 24, 2024, 08:11:07 AM »
Karl denying $10k a month for 4 years to do an Ipath like spinoff through Osiris is insane. I don’t blame the guy cause it’s Osiris…but still.

yeah guarantee $120k/yr salary for 4 years...sounds pretty good and I don't think the industry would have kooked him for doing it back then.  And he was on Satori back then which was successfully selling shirts at whole foods

I love I-path as much as the the next person but the brand really didnt seem like a "core" company to me at the time

BartHarleyJarvis

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1135
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #3067 on: April 24, 2024, 11:37:07 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Kelly, I know you’re reading this. Roberts is an asshole to you and clearly doesn’t give a fuck about your opinions. Every time you speak, Roberts has already dismissed whatever you’re going to say before you say it. You can see it on his face and hear it in his voice. Maybe you’ve found a way to justify it. Maybe it’s a gimmick for the show. Regardless, you know exactly what I’m talking about.

I hope dude treats you much better off camera. We all deserve better friends than that.
[close]

I noticed that Crob only picks on Kelly when certain people are around. Catching up on the episodes now, and Im on the one with &&, & was thrown off by Roberts being normal to him

Excited for the Karl Watson ep. Kinda surprised he actually went on
[close]

Interesting, I haven't noticed that. I still don't like it. Kelly has a wealth of skateboarding knowledge, seems to be all positive vibes, has a big hand in booking guests so I know he pulls his weight, and honestly was just as productive and talented on a skateboard as anyone else in the room. But every time he speaks, Roberts makes an assy face. At least Jeron gives him the time of day.
[close]
yeah he just needs a “boss bitch” and he’s all good. anybody have those screen shots still?  ;D

in all seriousness i have grown to like him more over the years due to the things you mentioned. he doesn’t trail off the way crob does and he actually asks interesting questions when it does start to shift away from the focus point. i’m all for it going off topic at times the way any podcast does as they all warm up to each other, it doesn’t always have to be crob “sarcastically”  talking himself up though. the sw flip manny thing was fine as a staple joke of the show with the tablets playing and all that but man, he’s really gotten carried away with it. kelly is just an oc bro deep down & makes himself a target sometimes almost purposefully seemingly.

one thing kelly does that i have noticed more recently that almost bothers me even more than crob’s narcissistic sarcasm is he will one up people in a very nonchalant, almost “slide” kind of way. for instance, in this episode karl is talking about how he was struggling a bit to do the 360 flip over the gap in it’s official, whilst thanking kelly & complimenting him on how well he does giving trick tips. kelly is just like “yeah that was fun man, i think that’s the day i nollie tre’d it.” i really can’t stand when people do that. it’s funny too because he never does it to chris when he brings up the sw flip manny even though kelly’s trick is way crazier, fear of getting eldy’d i assume.

I thhink the difference is Kelly actually likes skating. Crob clearly has nothing but disdain for skaters and skateboarding.

formula420

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 86
« Reply #3068 on: April 24, 2024, 01:56:04 PM »
Just another +1 for maxallure. I really like the team and the videos they have put out. And they do 8.5 with short wb.

Gab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 266
« Reply #3069 on: April 25, 2024, 03:22:12 PM »
Expand Quote
I’ve told this story here before, but my first time skating in SF I met Karl. I was probably only 10 or 11 and the first spot my mom took me and my brother to was pier 7. I was trying to ollie up the small part for a good 20 mins and when I finally made it and was preparing to roll of the bigger part I was snatched of my board and spun around in a big circle. “Hell yeah lil homie!” I heard from above. “You got that!” I look up and it’s Karl with a big smile on his face. So stoked for everyone at any level. I will always remember that.

It was a heavy session: Karl, Henry Sanchez, Pat Washington, Fabrizio Santos, and I wanna say a young Jack Curtain were there. Sanch yelled at me for getting in his way. I’ll remember that forever too.

My mom bought me a pair of AWS wheels and my brother Spitfires from a sketchy looking dude who had an Indy logo tattoo that was colored outside the lines. I really wanted the Dan Pageau world deck he had but my mom didn’t want to give him more than $20 lol
[close]

and just like that I have decided to buy a maxallure board. Not my thing but hey

Now we’re talking really great guy

Ty Evans Lightman

• Rep: -34
« Reply #3070 on: April 26, 2024, 12:16:48 PM »
Timestamps
00:00:00 Tyrone Olson
00:01:08 Growing up in Madison Wisconsin
00:02:18 How Tyrone found skateboarding
00:04:32 The T-Bone nickname
00:07:00 Meeting Dave Mayhew for the first time
00:10:45 Moving out west at an early age
00:14:43 Leaving LA to go to SD
00:15:12 Surviving in California
00:20:09 Getting his first photo in a magazine
00:25:58 The beginning of Osiris
00:33:03 Filming for Osiris "The Storm"
00:36:54 What happened with Osiris
00:43:48 Germ Skateboards
00:46:04 Skating big stuff
00:55:26 Becoming William Patrick
00:58:08 Entering Tampa Pro
01:02:07 Moving back home to Wisconsin
01:03:17 How Tyrone ended up back in Cali?
01:11:32 Tyrone as a productive skater
01:12:52 Scarred Skateboards
01:17:52 Breaking his ankle
01:22:20 Using ramps to get on rails
01:24:29 Getting his nose broken by a security guard
01:41:05 Wake skating
01:44:16 Being on Thrashers "King Of The Road"

jgonzalez

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 773
  • no not never. looser.
    • JGonz4ever avatar image
« Reply #3071 on: April 26, 2024, 02:11:06 PM »
Timestamps
With humble beginnings originating from Kansas City, MO, DeWayne "Steezus Christ" McMurry is a living expression of what life looks like when you stay true to what you believe in and pursue your dreams.

From manifesting some of the most extraordinary opportunities, to withholding the composure to battle through unfavorable situations, DeWayne has been a genuine inspiration to not only his peers and individuals around the world, but has truly influenced an entire culture and inspired the new generation.

As one of the most known unknowns in the world of skateboarding, DeWayne's association with The Berrics, one of the world's most visited skate websites, introduced the general public to the "Steezus Christ" brand. His infectious personality and good energy was undeniable, and his 'public debut' on The Berrics created a cult following, which compounded DeWayne's positive influence on the culture over night. DeWayne’s been an industry figurehead ever since, effectively producing and creating content behind the scenes, whilst simultaneously maintaining a strong on-camera presence.

With an unwavering desire for knowledge, a non-stop positive outlook on life, and a contagiously uplifting spirit, DeWayne has not only been the ideal ambassador for a bundle of industry-critical brands such as New Era, Skullcandy, eS Footwear, and The Berrics, but most notably has transcended the skateboard industry to become a notable figure in the sneaker world and streetwear culture.

Under his mantra of "Don't quit your day dream", DeWayne is a reminder to all that dreams do come true and a lifestyle can become your job. DeWayne is a reflection of patience, persistence and conviction, of which he stayed true to himself and his beliefs. Thus, resulting in a character who is well-known globally for his passion to continue growing skateboarding ethically, and keeping kids all around the world uplifted and inspired.

DeWayne is one of the most recognizable digital media profiles in the industry, and is blessed to travel the world and engage the youth, investing his time simply to remind kids and his admirers not to quit their day dream. That said, it's clear that DeWayne’s ability to inspire others simply through his inherent character and way of living is due to his conscious efforts to stay grounded, and most importantly, spend time to reflect. This can be seen on a weekly basis on the globally recognized podcast, The Nine Club Experience.

DeWayne's delivery, both verbally and in action, is a demonstration that qualifies he lives by the advice he gives. Unquestionably respected by his peers, associates and corporate partners, DeWayne is a pure "by-product" of what a wholesome life in skate-boarding can create if one stays true to themselves and the culture that raised them.  DeWayne’s embodiment of this testament is what makes him so valuable to the industry, of which he stands to become a legacy-profile that will never be forgotten

nothing's been the since same

somedudefromnj

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
« Reply #3072 on: April 26, 2024, 06:10:43 PM »
Expand Quote
Timestamps
[close]
With humble beginnings originating from Kansas City, MO, DeWayne "Steezus Christ" McMurry is a living expression of what life looks like when you stay true to what you believe in and pursue your dreams.

From manifesting some of the most extraordinary opportunities, to withholding the composure to battle through unfavorable situations, DeWayne has been a genuine inspiration to not only his peers and individuals around the world, but has truly influenced an entire culture and inspired the new generation.

As one of the most known unknowns in the world of skateboarding, DeWayne's association with The Berrics, one of the world's most visited skate websites, introduced the general public to the "Steezus Christ" brand. His infectious personality and good energy was undeniable, and his 'public debut' on The Berrics created a cult following, which compounded DeWayne's positive influence on the culture over night. DeWayne’s been an industry figurehead ever since, effectively producing and creating content behind the scenes, whilst simultaneously maintaining a strong on-camera presence.

With an unwavering desire for knowledge, a non-stop positive outlook on life, and a contagiously uplifting spirit, DeWayne has not only been the ideal ambassador for a bundle of industry-critical brands such as New Era, Skullcandy, eS Footwear, and The Berrics, but most notably has transcended the skateboard industry to become a notable figure in the sneaker world and streetwear culture.

Under his mantra of "Don't quit your day dream", DeWayne is a reminder to all that dreams do come true and a lifestyle can become your job. DeWayne is a reflection of patience, persistence and conviction, of which he stayed true to himself and his beliefs. Thus, resulting in a character who is well-known globally for his passion to continue growing skateboarding ethically, and keeping kids all around the world uplifted and inspired.

DeWayne is one of the most recognizable digital media profiles in the industry, and is blessed to travel the world and engage the youth, investing his time simply to remind kids and his admirers not to quit their day dream. That said, it's clear that DeWayne’s ability to inspire others simply through his inherent character and way of living is due to his conscious efforts to stay grounded, and most importantly, spend time to reflect. This can be seen on a weekly basis on the globally recognized podcast, The Nine Club Experience.

DeWayne's delivery, both verbally and in action, is a demonstration that qualifies he lives by the advice he gives. Unquestionably respected by his peers, associates and corporate partners, DeWayne is a pure "by-product" of what a wholesome life in skate-boarding can create if one stays true to themselves and the culture that raised them.  DeWayne’s embodiment of this testament is what makes him so valuable to the industry, of which he stands to become a legacy-profile that will never be forgotten

i do wonder how Steezus is

last post of his I saw, he was on tiktok basically shitting on people trying to become social media influencers

didnt dill call him steven once?

Lol. Eldee is definitely a human. He’s like a raider on horse back who’s kinda scared to do battle. Somehow he closes his eyes and swings his sword wildly and wakes up in a pile of dead orcs.

Dr-Feelgood

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 41
  • Hello, i love you, won't you tell me your name?
« Reply #3073 on: April 27, 2024, 06:19:54 PM »
Im liking the fact they 86'd that clown steezus, hes way too high and mighty for a "never was" funny how bitter he is for not being part of the nine club anymore when that is the only reason a handful of people know who he is these days.

We may not know what skateboarding is
But we sure as hell know what it aint
Wait we know what it is now too -
Falling down and gettin back up

dallou

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 163
    • Music avatar image
« Reply #3074 on: April 28, 2024, 05:20:49 AM »
I might be dumb but what is the connection with Stezus ?
check my music

citycity

• Rep: -98
« Reply #3075 on: April 28, 2024, 05:34:45 AM »

Lolololololol he grew up w Malto, has some skills but suffers from tall guy syndrome.

Doesn’t look ‘bad’ on the board but doesn’t look all that great. Also tbh his kits / braids / vibe is hella wack!

Hope that helps!

shredflanders

• Rep: 17
« Reply #3076 on: April 28, 2024, 09:44:50 AM »

Well it ain’t between his forehead and his hairline.

Shitbag

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 162
  • A mystery wrapped inside a Twinkie
« Reply #3077 on: April 28, 2024, 02:07:07 PM »

DISTANT RUMOURS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 401
« Reply #3078 on: April 29, 2024, 01:00:24 AM »
When I google "Steezus Christ" all I get is a ripping Jezus from Tony Hawk's Pro Skater.

I guess my algorithm has been cured.

citycity

• Rep: -98
« Reply #3079 on: April 29, 2024, 05:08:08 AM »
Lololololololololol

Jim and Dan

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 484
  • Twenty-six Conversions in A.D. 46
« Reply #3080 on: April 29, 2024, 07:19:56 AM »
When I google "Steezus Christ" all I get is a ripping Jezus from Tony Hawk's Pro Skater Skate 3.

I guess my algorithm has been cured.

"Eeeeeeeeeeeevvvveeeennnnnn fllllloooooooowwwwwww", I've heard that enough times to put a nail through my skull.

Actually quite pleased for a T-Bone episode, owner of of the objectionably worst 360 flips ever recorded to film and recently surpassed former king of the street kicker, love it.
Roll for Rusty, Frip, Dapple and Tate

"My boiz better take my body, and boardslide me down the fucking bridge, in San Francisco"

EARL***THE***PEARL

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -112
  • MR.MADN3SSS LOVES YOU... NT MM
« Reply #3081 on: April 29, 2024, 02:33:34 PM »
When Dubs held T-Bone's arm because he couldn't keep still was probably the hardest I've laughed watching the Nine Club since the ''Whole house bacon" argument very very very entertaining episode 

shouldn't

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 73
« Reply #3082 on: April 29, 2024, 06:18:33 PM »
Im liking the fact they 86'd that clown steezus, hes way too high and mighty for a "never was" funny how bitter he is for not being part of the nine club anymore when that is the only reason a handful of people know who he is these days.
where can i see him being bitter about getting kicked off? that sounds like a good read/watch/listen

imagine fucking the dog shit outta chris roberts

grandslam

• Rep: 47
« Reply #3083 on: April 29, 2024, 06:21:42 PM »
I don’t watch regularly anymore but I watched Karl’s because I’m a huge fan.

Few things I noticed
• Chris did his research and it helped the episode move more cohesively
• Chris pushed back against Karl’s claims that an ipath employee had something to do with a team decision affecting Karl - while I think the people who lived the experience know best, I thought it was different for Chris to standup for someone he knows personally
• Chris pushed back on some answers / disagreed with some things - although a few times it felt contrived and just doing it to maybe practice doing it, I did appreciate the approach

I can imagine it is hard to get out of a routine and it takes practice and failure.
Will take a lot more refinement before I’m a full fledged listener again, but props for at least trying to change it up.

sid vicious

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 64
« Reply #3084 on: April 30, 2024, 03:14:12 AM »
I always heard he quit Arcade to ride for Baker after a prank call from Knox & Evan

DISTANT RUMOURS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 401
« Reply #3085 on: April 30, 2024, 04:57:28 AM »
I don’t watch regularly anymore but I watched Karl’s because I’m a huge fan.

Few things I noticed
• Chris did his research and it helped the episode move more cohesively
• Chris pushed back against Karl’s claims that an ipath employee had something to do with a team decision affecting Karl - while I think the people who lived the experience know best, I thought it was different for Chris to standup for someone he knows personally
• Chris pushed back on some answers / disagreed with some things - although a few times it felt contrived and just doing it to maybe practice doing it, I did appreciate the approach

I can imagine it is hard to get out of a routine and it takes practice and failure.
Will take a lot more refinement before I’m a full fledged listener again, but props for at least trying to change it up.

Yes, seemed Chris put in the work or grew some balls.
Good to see.

OctopusJack

• Rep: 1
« Reply #3086 on: April 30, 2024, 09:44:36 AM »
Same here, someone give me a link. I literally stopped watching and listening to the Nine Club afterwhile when every week it was just Steezus relentlessly hammering in his toxic positivity and promoting the most useless shit on the show

Expand Quote
[close]
where can i see him being bitter about getting kicked off? that sounds like a good read/watch/listen

Ty Evans Lightman

• Rep: -34
« Reply #3087 on: April 30, 2024, 11:42:01 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I don't know of any specific moment but the moment he got dropped by the Nine Club he pretty much dropped off the skate map.

The only content I saw surface (besides a couple of tiktoks) was this bizarre Day in the life thing used as promotion for his new role as a talent for hire. The other thing I got from it was that you could hire Steezus to take you hiking???
He's wearing a "Fuck skating, let's dance" hoodie which felt like a real steezus way of bidding farewell to the skateworld.

Worth a watch to discredit the guy but it's 30 minutes you can't take back.

I add some spiel about him from the "talent agency" website too just for laughs.

https://mn2s.com/booking-agency/talent-roster/steezus/

A genuine inspiration to his peers, as well as to countless individuals across the world, DeWayne “Steezus Christ” McMurry has influenced an entire culture and inspired a new generation. Hugely influential in the skateboarding world, Steezus’s association with The Berrics, one of the world’s most popular skate websites, has introduced the general public to his Steezus Christ brand.

An infectious personality, Steezus became an instant hit after making his public debut on The Berrics site, quickly building a cult following due to his good energy and positive outlook on life. He has been an industry figurehead ever since, producing and creating original content behind the scenes as well as proving to be a truly enigmatic presence on-camera. An ideal ambassador for countless industry brands, including Skullcandy and eS Footwear, Steezus quickly transcended the skateboard world to become a notable figure in streetwear culture and in the sneaker industry.

Contagiously uplifting, Steezus’s own mantra, “Don’t quit your day dream”, has been the core principle of his unwavering passion for skateboarding and helping to keep kids from all over the world uplifted and inspired. He is a truly inspiring character and regularly connects with his legions of skater fans, via Twitter and Instagram, through his YouTube channel, as well as via his globally recognised podcast, The Nine Club Experience. You can also catch him regularly chatting about all things skateboard on twitch.tv

« Last Edit: April 30, 2024, 11:58:33 AM by Ty Evans Lightman »

Dad Board

• Rep: 85
« Reply #3088 on: April 30, 2024, 12:31:14 PM »

Holy fuck. There’s so much yet so little to unpack here. Core values, wal mart x swiffer, effortlessly manipulating his audience to feel included in his inner circle. Thank the fucking stars this guy never got any real platform.

work_lurker

• Rep: 82
  • I've never had a shaved head in my entire life
« Reply #3089 on: April 30, 2024, 12:34:01 PM »
Yeah, gets the wackest endorsements and just hypes them the fuck up. You gotta pay the bills, but man you corny.
Hopefully not a kook, but if so, fuck it.