Author Topic: Spitfire formula four  (Read 720259 times)

Paco Supreme

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 546
  • One Trick Pony
Re: Spitfire formula four
« Reply #4380 on: September 01, 2022, 03:43:31 AM »
I often wondered why they never made f4
Big heads, that seemed a logical step. Classic full is a better name

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1038
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4381 on: September 01, 2022, 03:48:41 AM »
I think navarrette would have the same shape as the mandersons but in 58-60s. (Altho way before 2016) was that the longest running pro wheel? Feel like I had the mandersons in 2011 or something

Found them!

The link is long dead, but this is what they were from:

http://www.dlxsf.com/summer11/sf/

Spitfire Catalog Drop #2
7/25/2011

Check out Mike Anderson's newest Spitfire ad featuring his new custom designed SFW Pro Edition wheel

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

thanksgiving

• Rep: 214
« Reply #4382 on: September 01, 2022, 01:48:46 PM »
Does anyone know if the radial fills were only a one time release?? Fallen in love with em & couldn't stock up at any of the locals when they were in
they were in prebooks for winter or spring i don’t remember.

Skatebeard

• Rep: 130
« Reply #4383 on: September 02, 2022, 12:39:30 AM »
Back on F4 classics again after skating a set of Bones STF v3s for a few months... boy it's good to be home.

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 622
« Reply #4384 on: September 02, 2022, 02:46:23 AM »
Back on F4 classics again after skating a set of Bones STF v3s for a few months... boy it's good to be home.
How do they compare? 99 or 103 stf? Never had f4 classics before because they get so stupid wide above 52 or so, but I'm curious.
My dream would probably be an f4 99a in the v3 shape. Classic slim?

Skatebeard

« Reply #4385 on: September 05, 2022, 05:41:35 AM »
99a STF vs 99a F4 Classic

The F4s slide a bit easier and have much less of a bark to them on concrete, in terms of hardness I'd say they are about comparable.

I didn't mind the STF at all and got pretty used to them, the slim profile works great for flatground... but I do welcome the extra slide on the F4s, nice to have it there when you need it.

Fooj

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Rep: 188
« Reply #4386 on: September 08, 2022, 10:56:07 AM »
Any Radial first-timers pick up the 53mm's and have first impressions? 
Had some 52s and 55s in the past but 53s seem perfect.

BartHarleyJarvis

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1156
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #4387 on: September 08, 2022, 10:59:31 AM »

Mine are in the mail. Can't wait. Not a first timer, just love radials.

swongolianbbq

• Rep: 54
« Reply #4388 on: September 08, 2022, 12:28:01 PM »
Just realized tablets, og classics, and conical fulls are all like, the same wheel in different widths, stepped up equally but with the same riding surface

Crazy they never seem to be putting out plain ol radial slims, that's probably their lightest weight wheel. The old Reynolds classic slims would prolly be lighter

And I'd think the 49ers and lil smokies would be more popular for the venture low and thunder people

Anyways I got some of the OG Classic in 54mm, seems like a really good all rounder if you like square wheels

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1017
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #4389 on: September 08, 2022, 01:38:38 PM »
Recent drop saw Radial slims for a change, but yeah, the OG Classic/Tablet/Conical are damn similar (especially once you wear them down past the lip...when it's probably time to swap them out anyway); that's what tablets are really, worn down og classics/conical for those that don't want to wait :P

swongolianbbq

• Rep: 54
« Reply #4390 on: September 08, 2022, 04:08:37 PM »
I wonder if tablets would be more hooky/catchy than wheels with a rounder edge. Curious about them but idk about having that much grip for such a skinny wheel

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #4391 on: September 08, 2022, 04:23:24 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Not a first timer, just love radials.

53mm is the perfect size for a radial, can’t go wrong

Fooj

« Reply #4392 on: September 08, 2022, 05:12:56 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Not a first timer, just love radials.
[close]

53mm is the perfect
size for a radial, can’t go wrong
Amen

Skatebeard

« Reply #4393 on: September 09, 2022, 02:13:43 AM »
I've been mostly on 50-52mm 99a F4 classics for a few years...are there any other Spitfire F4 shapes worth considering for pure flatground skating on tarmac/asphalt and occasionally park concrete?

99a works perfectly, just wondering if I'm missing out on anything not trying out the other shapes. the Bones STF v3s I had recently worked pretty well and are a slimmer wheel than the classics for sure.

FUBAR

• Rep: 240
« Reply #4394 on: September 09, 2022, 02:56:29 AM »
I sure hope they bring back 50 and 51mm in future drops. I could run out now and stock up in 51mm Classics but I really don’t need to spend that money.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4395 on: September 09, 2022, 05:48:56 AM »

They might not be in the catalogs but there are still a lot of wheels coming out, or making it to some skate shops that people are asking for, but I guess it is down to what you are looking for and checking with whatever shop you want to support, ordering or asking them to get them in for you.

If you are more just a find them online and or buy them when on sale, no worries, but I think most wheel options are around, but a lot sell out quickly or are harder to find if you don't search high and low or go to each specific shop site, which all up can be a pain to do and takes a lot longer than most people would want to spend on the whole process.

As far as smaller sizes, try the "Lil Smokies" which are the 49, 50, 51 mm versions of all the usual shapes in F4 wheels in both 99 and 101 and have a single black graphic, usually at a discounted price too, but some shops have them at the same price as all the other Spitfire F4 wheels.

I saw some shops in AU just got a whole lot more of them, so they are out there - just not in any listings, catalogs or official releases it seems.

Just looking through some shop accounts and there are more of the Radial Slim wheels out, as had been said by XEN and others recently.

They might be a good alternative if anyone wants a small slim wheel.

Radim

• Rep: 12
« Reply #4396 on: September 09, 2022, 06:12:03 AM »
99a STF vs 99a F4 Classic

The F4s slide a bit easier and have much less of a bark to them on concrete, in terms of hardness I'd say they are about comparable.

I didn't mind the STF at all and got pretty used to them, the slim profile works great for flatground... but I do welcome the extra slide on the F4s, nice to have it there when you need it.
I agree with everything being written.
Unfortunately for some reason, i flatspotted F4s quite easy with underrotated 180s from the kicker ramp. But not the tablets, just classics.
Fountain of Youth since 1995. Thank you Skateboarding!

Creature 8.0 - Venture 5.2 - F4 52/99a

MysticalTypeExperience

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 128
« Reply #4397 on: September 09, 2022, 06:28:10 AM »
Can someone impart some sage SLAP wisdom on a young padiwan real quick? Just looking for an overview on what each shape is best suited for.

Currently running 99a 52mm classics on my main board. I pretty much only skate park right now. Wondering if I should go up to 101 duro, or if a larger wheel or different shape would help me lock into smiths better.

BartHarleyJarvis

• SLAP Pal
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #4398 on: September 09, 2022, 07:50:28 AM »
Can someone impart some sage SLAP wisdom on a young padiwan real quick? Just looking for an overview on what each shape is best suited for.

Currently running 99a 52mm classics on my main board. I pretty much only skate park right now. Wondering if I should go up to 101 duro, or if a larger wheel or different shape would help me lock into smiths better.

Conicals, radials, or lock ins could help you lock in better on your smiths. Classics have the roundest edge so they’re going to lock in the least. Harder wheel will help with slides, bigger wheel for speed.

kneebone

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 356
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #4399 on: September 09, 2022, 08:07:15 AM »
I sure hope they bring back 50 and 51mm in future drops. I could run out now and stock up in 51mm Classics but I really don’t need to spend that money.
I'm in this boat as well

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1077
« Reply #4400 on: September 09, 2022, 10:21:42 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Conicals, radials, or lock ins could help you lock in better on your smiths. Classics have the roundest edge so they’re going to lock in the least. Harder wheel will help with slides, bigger wheel for speed.

Classics will aid some people in flip tricks by allowing the board to turn over easier. I’ve never had a problem with kickflipping a conical wheel, but the physics of a flip trick certainly made more sense without overcoming the sharp lip of the wheel.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 690
  • Fuck the revoltion. Bring on the apocalypse.
    • ThePastParticple avatar image
« Reply #4401 on: September 09, 2022, 12:43:48 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I find more square edge wheels (lock-ins, conicals, etc.) to make smiths, hurricanes, feebles much more twitchy; their sharp "corner" catches, and causes the wheel to pop out. Whereas something like a classic does a better job at hugging the slanted angle of the wheel against the edge on those type of grinds.

Ben DeGros did a great a video on the differences between rounded and squared wheels. It's worth a watch.

IG: ThePastParticiple

DLX 8.25  |  144 Forged  |  53mm Classic  |  Super Swiss 6

"Everything has been figured out, except how to live." -Sartre

Fooj

« Reply #4402 on: September 12, 2022, 01:00:24 PM »
Gotta admit, no regular packaging with the label card kinda bummed me out, but nevertheless happy to have these. 53mm Radials seem like the perfect combo

BartHarleyJarvis

• SLAP Pal
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #4403 on: September 12, 2022, 03:07:24 PM »
Gotta admit, no regular packaging with the label card kinda bummed me out, but nevertheless happy to have these. 53mm Radials seem like the perfect combo

I bought the two tone blue/black conical fulls and those were supposed to be "limited" so I understood not having packaging, but I was definitely surprised the radials also had no packaging. I wonder if they were rushed because they didn't know when the movie would be released and they wanted to capitalize on that?

notinternetfamous

• Rep: 315
  • Watch PURGATORY - the Sproul video
« Reply #4404 on: September 12, 2022, 03:34:05 PM »

53 radials are great! these look surprisingly white for F4s lol

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4405 on: September 12, 2022, 04:16:22 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
53 radials are great! these look surprisingly white for F4s lol

I was surprised how pale some other new F4 wheels have been lately too.

Guessing when they say "Natural" colour, that could be anything from this brand new pale through to a more murky (almost going yellow) urethane and everything in between.

Also wonder if it is a cost saving thing too, given people know exactly what the wheels are and want them regardless of how they are packaged.

Timeframe and getting them out ASAP definitely seems like a consideration though, as Bart said.

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #4406 on: September 12, 2022, 06:11:01 PM »
Yeah those Baker f4s are much more chalk white than some of the previous iterations

Edit: I just noticed some of the new AVE wheels are coming out in that shrink wrap shitty packaging too.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2022, 06:28:20 PM by Paco Supreme »

backside_frontside

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -303
« Reply #4407 on: September 12, 2022, 06:41:28 PM »
First they took the sticker, now it’s the packaging and the wheels only get more expensive.

Paperclip20

• Rep: 137
  • Please send symmetrical board information
« Reply #4408 on: September 13, 2022, 12:33:45 PM »
First they took the sticker, now it’s the packaging and the wheels only get more expensive.

We live in a society

kneebone

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 356
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #4409 on: September 13, 2022, 12:55:45 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

We live in a society
the sticker is back in now!