Author Topic: "Cherry" a video by William Strobeck for Supreme  (Read 239337 times)

Monkey_Mcpott

Re: "Cherry" a video by William Strobeck for Supreme
« Reply #1170 on: March 22, 2014, 04:19:46 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I've been thinking about it, and I feel that this video uses the exploitation of the homeless/addicts to propagate their ideas of elitism and the idea that money makes you better than others. Lots of blatant disrespect to those people in the video.
[close]

Did anyone find that Pops smoking scene or that AO scene where he pushed the guy cool, funny, or entertaining. I found it completely weird and disturbing.
[close]

First your deslusional, "propagate their ideas of elitism", kek.

Fuck, you guys are square. �AO might have asked that guy 15 times to move, he says "goddamn it, I asked nicely." �The pops smoking scene is funny, fuck stoners.
[close]
Want it more PG? Shit happens in the streets and you don't have to edit it out. It didnt look glorifies to me, just showing you how it is. Anyone remember that guy getting a one punch knockout in the Spitfire video? I'm not saying violence is awesome or fucking with drug users is cool or doing tricks over the homeless is funny but life in a big city means you've gotta roll with it.
"I want my skateboard videos to look cool.� No, not that cool!� TOO MUCH! TOO MUCH!"
[/quote]

Must be and east coast thing i guess which i can understand. I didn't say it shouldn't have been in the video if anything its the same shit baker does with all their hyjinxs in their videos, no different. Just saying besides the awesome skating its one of the few things that stood out to me.

darth nihilus

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 11
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1171 on: March 22, 2014, 04:20:31 PM »
these kids are skating nyc streets and having fun as a crew while you guys argue about how they dress and what tricks they do on an internet forum. they win, you lose.

THIS

mr cheese

« Reply #1172 on: March 22, 2014, 04:26:36 PM »
Expand Quote
these kids are skating nyc streets and having fun as a crew while you guys argue about how they dress and what tricks they do on an internet forum. they win, you lose.
[close]

THIS

pekkaaa

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 237
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1173 on: March 22, 2014, 04:47:46 PM »

360 frip

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -65504
  • -65 G 4 RYFE
« Reply #1174 on: March 22, 2014, 05:27:29 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
There was some amazing skating in it, but to me it comes off as pretty annoyingly pretentious at times.

I couldn't read the whole thread...has an allusion been made to the kid from gummo yet?

Showing those kids fighting was lame. I don't know what happened, and I'm not even trying to disparage the kid who was in the fight because I wasn't there. Putting it in the video is lame though, who wants to see a kid get punched in the face. Disturbing, and comes off like a hipster edited that shit in to show how "real street" he is now that he lives in the big city. I wrote this before he post above me showed up, but yeah, dudes involved feel shitty, video guy thinks he's got "cool footage" and glorifies the violence.
[close]

yeah i was thinking about this... its one thing for kids to be wild and crazy, but how old is Strobek, Dill and the guys editing the video?  i'm assuming he wasn't filming it, but he put it in there just seems lame and pathetic.  i hate seeing shit like that.

after second watch I enjoyed this a lot more, except for the entire cheif keef section.  the bank to wall section was my favorite.  guy's fakie bigspin, pressure flip line was sick.  still can't get over how good Dylan is.  great music.. .always love hearing Group Home.

i'm old

[close]

regan and bea,

i too am an old guy who had somewhat of a visceral reaction to the scenes mentioned above (ao, pops with smoker, dudes fighting, teen smokers, etc...).  however, these "filler" / "shock rock," scenes were exactly what i was expecting since first seeing the trailer. in fact, they happened a lot less than i expected. even though i am a father to a 2 year-old little girl and wouldn't want her exposed to such scenes, i don't blame strobeck for being lame like that. his client, supreme, has built an image off this rep. to me, at least, it is somewhat reminiscent of what the early world era would do with things like the "f'd up blind kids" pro-models or 90s "big brother" type of shock rock/ larry clark perverted videography. skating is still marketed to a young audience and the young audience thrives off dehumanizing imagery/content. i work with teenagers and skater and non-skater kids eat this shit up three times a day (in between this time they eat hot cheetos, lol). it is what it is because money and stupidity allows for this content to build an industry and consumer relationship.

bea, i like the guy footage too. i like how he seemed shocked to have landed the bigspin-blunt and strobeck or whoever was behind the lens says "flip trick" and guys bust a pressure flip, lol. classic. i also like how they show him roll into the steps after he hits the downtown l.a. brick banks that natas skated back in the day. i think it's those subtleties that make this video come together for me. but of course this does not mean that i wouldn't want a skate-only video.

regan,

overall i agree with your description that the video "comes off like a hipster edited that shit in to show how "real street" he is now that he lives in the big city."

-biggest bummer for me, though, was the lack of ave/dill skate footage. i honestly thought dudes were going to have a part. maybe this mean fa video in the works.
[close]

it's funny though... i've heard mention of how this video has a 90's feel.  no way... this video is definitely 2014 hipstered-out Williamsburg/New York vibe.  Still, I enjoyed it

Would have loved to see more Ave.

If you can't feel the 90's vibe in this video,  you are either too young or blind.

"I DON'T WANT TO BELONG TO ANY CLUB THAT WILL ACCEPT PEOPLE LIKE ME AS A MEMBER." Groucho

"Sorry 360 frip, you are banned from using this forum!" HATE

piece of shit, straight up.

• Rep: -182
« Reply #1175 on: March 22, 2014, 06:58:08 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I've been thinking about it, and I feel that this video uses the exploitation of the homeless/addicts to propagate their ideas of elitism and the idea that money makes you better than others. Lots of blatant disrespect to those people in the video.
[close]

Did anyone find that Pops smoking scene or that AO scene where he pushed the guy cool, funny, or entertaining. I found it completely weird and disturbing.
[close]
I found it really strange and sad. That's the only complaint I had about this video though.
Also, fuck Whatitdo?. That dude's a fucking kook.

You have MF Doom in your avatar.  ::)

Nigga

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 5
  • PHILA
« Reply #1176 on: March 22, 2014, 07:05:42 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
I found it really strange and sad. That's the only complaint I had about this video though.
[close]

Don't you dare try to insult DOOM you corny ass dickhead

Exposure

• Rep: -269
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1177 on: March 22, 2014, 07:21:23 PM »
Hipster runoff is one of the best posters on this site. A real critical look at what's actually going on without the bias of opinions or ignorance.
I can ollie 6 decks why would I want to scrape the ground with my tricks

Jared

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 59
  • Die Slow
« Reply #1178 on: March 22, 2014, 07:32:24 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

Fuck outta here with your hate towards doom. Sorry my big words confused you.

harrison ford invented the first car, in America

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -936
  • I own Malibu? I am going to fuck you.
« Reply #1179 on: March 22, 2014, 07:48:17 PM »
Honestly, I didn't find the Pops and the homeless weed dude thing that offensive at all. Sure he was fucking with him, but not in a way that hurts him or insults his identity, he probably just got higher than he would have if he blew it out.
Are you a kook? If you would say this, the answer is “YES”
I quit skating for a time due to piling out

Exposure

• Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1180 on: March 22, 2014, 07:48:49 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

You have MF Doom in your avatar.� ::)
[close]

Whatitdo, I wasn't gonna say anything because at first I figured you were either a troll or learning deficient, but wow if you really have something against DOOM you're fucked

heritage

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 98
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #1181 on: March 22, 2014, 07:50:37 PM »
Hipster runoff is one of the best posters on this site. A real critical look at what's actually going on without the bias of opinions or ignorance.

Agreed. I thought he made some valid points and his entire post was a really interesting read, IMO.

Donkey Punch

• Rep: -3
  • Wavy Gravy
« Reply #1182 on: March 22, 2014, 07:57:57 PM »

Dylan. Is some sort of kickflip god from outter space.

rhythm

• Rep: -1
« Reply #1183 on: March 22, 2014, 08:02:16 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Agreed. I thought he made some valid points and his entire post was a really interesting read, IMO.

Felt the same way

vegan*shawn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -416
  • listen to Jawbreaker
« Reply #1184 on: March 22, 2014, 08:35:08 PM »
Alright here is my opinion:
Skating was top fucking notch!! Made me want to go skate 5 mins in.
Gonz still kills it, bringing originality to a bank to rail.
Alex Olson shouldn't have pushed that guy, but I don't know the back story
This video reminds me of the times that skating switched from the old guard to the new, those F.A. kids are on fucking fire!
I am sick and tired of seeing people smoke in videos, it's 2014 and you still fucking smoke tobacco, your a fucking moron making assholes rich off of your addiction!
I really want to skate NYC and Los Angeles
Great soundtrack
Wish they had some footage of the bowl sessions, would have been cool to see some of the old guys get down that session there!!
Love the black and white, came off as a homage to Eastern Exposure 3
Paulo Diaz looks like he has been on a binge for 20 years, loved his skating, but man I hope he gets clean!!
I wish they had put titles, I have no idea who is who of the younger guys.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2014, 08:39:52 PM by vegan*shawn »

dadstyle

• Rep: -1
« Reply #1185 on: March 22, 2014, 08:50:58 PM »
Get some of the Paulo Diaz weird tricks, especially the the weird half flip rewind.

Mob ruined my life. My mob kickflips invented this stupid trick in junior high. I call it a "quarterback." I never thought I'd see it filmed. Let alone in a Supreme video. I made it ma.

vegan*shawn

• SLAP Pal
  • listen to Jawbreaker
« Reply #1186 on: March 22, 2014, 09:05:27 PM »
Dude that trick has been around for years, we called them kickflip kickbacks in the 80's!!

mattdlx

• Rep: 165
« Reply #1187 on: March 22, 2014, 09:13:48 PM »
Thiebaud does a rad one in Speed Freaks.
SPB!

vegan*shawn

• SLAP Pal
  • listen to Jawbreaker
« Reply #1188 on: March 22, 2014, 09:32:55 PM »
Thiebaud does a rad one in Speed Freaks.

Yes he does, I think Natas does one in one of the old Speedwheels videos as well!

pointandclick

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 245
« Reply #1189 on: March 22, 2014, 09:35:23 PM »
Alright here is my opinion:
Skating was top fucking notch!! Made me want to go skate 5 mins in.
Gonz still kills it, bringing originality to a bank to rail.
Alex Olson shouldn't have pushed that guy, but I don't know the back story
This video reminds me of the times that skating switched from the old guard to the new, those F.A. kids are on fucking fire!
I am sick and tired of seeing people smoke in videos, it's 2014 and you still fucking smoke tobacco, your a fucking moron making assholes rich off of your addiction!
I really want to skate NYC and Los Angeles
Great soundtrack
Wish they had some footage of the bowl sessions, would have been cool to see some of the old guys get down that session there!!
Love the black and white, came off as a homage to Eastern Exposure 3
Paulo Diaz looks like he has been on a binge for 20 years, loved his skating, but man I hope he gets clean!!
I wish they had put titles, I have no idea who is who of the younger guys.
this bummed me out.

iwishilivedinfinla

« Reply #1190 on: March 22, 2014, 09:38:23 PM »

what are you talking about

Toadfish Rebecchi

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -45
« Reply #1191 on: March 22, 2014, 09:57:51 PM »

Where the hell was this stuff? The nollie that Paulo did over that bar was ape as fuck!

[http://distilleryimage1.s3.amazonaws.com/ea8128aa83b711e383dc1219137b9e09_8.jpg]

stayfalse

• Rep: 5
« Reply #1192 on: March 22, 2014, 10:03:28 PM »
For everyone bitching about AO pushing that old dude or whatever, a buncha people asked him on tumblr about it and hes repeatedly said that it was lame and he regrets it or whatever. he also mentioned that the dude was being unnecessarily a douche.
but seriously where was that 5050 up there that pops did, tyshawns back lip in the jacket with no shirt underneath, and sages ride on back smith posted a while back?

shark tits

« Reply #1193 on: March 22, 2014, 10:14:15 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

guy pushed paulo in front of the bus during his epicly later'd talkin about running into him at the cop spot. i'm not sure if he said they got high together but they were both doing the same thing. he looked awesome skating so i'm sure he kicked.

Exposure

« Reply #1194 on: March 22, 2014, 10:34:44 PM »
For everyone bitching about AO pushing that old dude or whatever, a buncha people asked him on tumblr about it and hes repeatedly said that it was lame and he regrets it or whatever. he also mentioned that the dude was being unnecessarily a douche.

Don't worry everyone, on Alex's tumblr he admitted that assaulting an elderly person on camera because he wouldn't let Alex play with his skateboard was lame. No harm no foul!

juhzden

• Rep: 6
« Reply #1195 on: March 22, 2014, 10:35:46 PM »
Kevin Bradley's kick flip over that hubba took forever for him to hit the ground.

Nakel's Gap to feeble. HOLY SHIT! Hes nuts in general. I want to know what he tried on that 18 stair handrail.

Dylan killed it. I liked the switch 180 manny impossible

BA was gonna get that tailslide by all means necessary. He's raw for wearing that Red Wings jersey too.

Alex Olson's black hubba back lip 270 was so good that I forgot Kevin Tierney did it until now.

Any Koston and Guy Footage is good.

POPS WENT THE FUCK IN!!!

Is it wrong that I thought Pops was smoking crack with that dude for more than 10 seconds?

i used to skate

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -27
« Reply #1196 on: March 22, 2014, 10:39:16 PM »
Expand Quote
this is what kids in a Supreme facebook group have to say about Cherry, some of the responses are pretty funny

[close]

That one nigga said GONZO though hahahaha.

i went to the premiere with a girl and for fun i asked her what her favorite trick was and she just says "gonzo"

??? never mind that it wasn't a proper answer, but is that like the poser/uninitiated way of saying the gonz?

Monkey_Mcpott

« Reply #1197 on: March 22, 2014, 10:41:57 PM »
Kevin Bradley's kick flip over that hubba took forever for him to hit the ground.

Nakel's Gap to feeble. HOLY SHIT! Hes nuts in general. I want to know what he tried on that 18 stair handrail.

Dylan killed it. I liked the switch 180 manny impossible

BA was gonna get that tailslide by all means necessary. He's raw for wearing that Red Wings jersey too.

Alex Olson's black hubba back lip 270 was so good that I forgot Kevin Tierney did it until now.

Any Koston and Guy Footage is good.

POPS WENT THE FUCK IN!!!

Is it wrong that I thought Pops was smoking crack with that dude for more than 10 seconds?

???

Hairy Ballsagna

• Rep: 32
« Reply #1198 on: March 22, 2014, 11:37:04 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I thought that post was 10x more contrived and pretentious than the video.

vegan*shawn

• SLAP Pal
  • listen to Jawbreaker
« Reply #1199 on: March 22, 2014, 11:51:54 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

He looked haggard!