Author Topic: Big Boards 9"+( I wanna hear big boys talk about their big boards)  (Read 546937 times)

Jory4

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 106
Re: Big Boards 9"+( I wanna hear big boys talk about their big boards)
« Reply #1860 on: August 17, 2020, 07:48:15 AM »

That’s a 92 with 159s and 56mm slime balls (which are pretty wide)

I never loved the 92. Something about the squareness of it. Moved from that to a dressen 9.3 which is posted a few pages back and I much preferred for some reason

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #1861 on: August 17, 2020, 07:52:51 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Totally guessing but the 1992 is probably 8.5 over the back trucks. Here's the dims from the Polar site if it's any help:
9.25" (WIDEST POINT) X 32"
NOSE: 6.875"
WHEEL BASE: 14.25"
TAIL: 6.625"
[close]
I'm riding 169's which is alright on the 91 shape, but I think it's closer to 8.75 in the back, I'm wondering if the 92 would need 159's which I'm not sure I'd be willing to change to try it. That nose and tail and wb look good though
[close]
I
1992 does taper more than 1991, 8.6 wide at the back truck. I ride 159s because for any flip tricks the 169 is sluggish and almost impossible to flip.

speaking of how would 169 fit on that grimple? 9.1 seems pretty perfect.

144p

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1082
    • 35th Ave Skates avatar image
« Reply #1862 on: August 17, 2020, 08:43:42 AM »

Looks like it might be a slightly slimmed down version of Jim's Real "Wrench Justice" deck from 1991.
It is the slick bottom bunny shape.

144p

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1863 on: August 17, 2020, 08:46:36 AM »
They wouldn’t, it’s narrow in the back. I’m not the flush up front/hanging out in back truck guy. Never had that hangup like most people do with magic carpet. Rather have a setup that is functional/practical vs the flush aesthetic.

I take care of my curbs.

« Reply #1864 on: August 17, 2020, 09:33:10 AM »
Some hot shit posted in the last page.
Really curious about 1/4" risers and 58-60mm wheels now. Thinking about it seems monster truck status, something about lower quicker pop seems more comfortable. The higher feels tippy? Even with larger wheels?

I would say the feeling isn’t too bad but it really depends on what you’re used to.  I actually sized down to 1/4 inch risers and 58s after years of riding 1/2 risers with 61-63mm wheels.  These 58s feel, to me, like a 7.75 with 49s.  Also the height of the riser can depend on the concave of the board, I could go with an 1/8 riser on a popsicle deck but with the scram stuff I need a 1/4.  Hope that helps you decide dude. 

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1341
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #1865 on: August 17, 2020, 10:21:48 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
They wouldn’t, it’s narrow in the back. I’m not the flush up front/hanging out in back truck guy. Never had that hangup like most people do with magic carpet. Rather have a setup that is functional/practical vs the flush aesthetic.
Yeah I had to relearn the back truck flush rule when I started fucking around with shapes again.
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

jay_nev

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1866 on: August 17, 2020, 11:22:41 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Oh, ok. somewhat surprised but the bunny shape image above looks a lot more tapered than your pics did. I ran 169 on a Dane 1 to cruise around with for a bit but I heard you mention impossibles and im not doing those haha. i get why that can work better for you.

144p

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1867 on: August 17, 2020, 01:53:18 PM »
After staring at it for a while 169s would probably be fine. The rail doesn’t have too much taper. Maybe it’s my bad luck with 9+ wide trucks. Couldn’t really do much so I gave up on them.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #1868 on: August 17, 2020, 02:50:22 PM »
I've had the same problem with 9"+ trucks. 8.75" is really as wide as I can go before all my flip tricks are done. I also advocate lining up the back truck with deck width. Hotrodding is not an option on wide shaped boards...

Please Ace make n 8.75"er....

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #1869 on: August 17, 2020, 03:04:27 PM »
I've had the same problem with 9"+ trucks. 8.75" is really as wide as I can go before all my flip tricks are done. I also advocate lining up the back truck with deck width. Hotrodding is not an option on wide shaped boards...

I've been running my 55s with no washers inside and it kind of gets the job done. I am also tall with 11.5 feet so maybe its not as big a deal to me. That being said, can't wait for the 8.75" Ace to happen. While I love the current sizes, there is a void between 44s with extra washers inside and 55s with no washers inside.

Speaking of, I have pretty much sold off all my standard size boards. Right now I have 2 Cardiel footballs, a Tired Sigar, and a shaped Deathwish 9.1 on deck and am skating a Girl Loveseat that I set back up to try and get some last sessions out of. For the kind of skating I do, the shapes work so well and I love how they look and feel. I was always kind of resistant to the the idea of going all in but it just makes skating so much more fun.

Seventyfrigginseven

« Reply #1870 on: August 17, 2020, 05:24:21 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I've been running my 55s with no washers inside and it kind of gets the job done. I am also tall with 11.5 feet so maybe its not as big a deal to me. That being said, can't wait for the 8.75" Ace to happen. While I love the current sizes, there is a void between 44s with extra washers inside and 55s with no washers inside.

Speaking of, I have pretty much sold off all my standard size boards. Right now I have 2 Cardiel footballs, a Tired Sigar, and a shaped Deathwish 9.1 on deck and am skating a Girl Loveseat that I set back up to try and get some last sessions out of. For the kind of skating I do, the shapes work so well and I love how they look and feel. I was always kind of resistant to the the idea of going all in but it just makes skating so much more fun.
100% agree..I have fun flipping my little boards but I truly have more fun on my 9+ setups. Yesterday I was skating my 9.5 just doing ollie variations over random shit I had in my garage and skating my little 1/4 pipe and I was literally still smiling when I left for work this morning. There's something to be said about that for sure.

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #1871 on: August 17, 2020, 05:54:42 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
100% agree..I have fun flipping my little boards but I truly have more fun on my 9+ setups. Yesterday I was skating my 9.5 just doing ollie variations over random shit I had in my garage and skating my little 1/4 pipe and I was literally still smiling when I left for work this morning. There's something to be said about that for sure.

Funny you mention that because not too long after you posted that 7.75" setup I was running an 8.06" with Venture lows and was super into how easily it flipped BUT at the same time it just felt off for the stuff that I really want to do when I go skate. It kind of made me reassess things and realize that all my favorite skating of the past couple years has been on ~9" shaped boards.

Seventyfrigginseven

« Reply #1872 on: August 17, 2020, 06:11:04 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
[close]

Funny you mention that because not too long after you posted that 7.75" setup I was running an 8.06" with Venture lows and was super into how easily it flipped BUT at the same time it just felt off for the stuff that I really want to do when I go skate. It kind of made me reassess things and realize that all my favorite skating of the past couple years has been on ~9" shaped boards.
Sounds like we are in the same boat. If I could learn to be more consistent with fliptricks on my big setups I wouldn't own anything else. Unfortunately its one or the other with me, do flippity-do's with pop with little boards or the overall fun factor of 9+. Can't have your cake and eat it too, I suppose.

texasplant

• Rep: 84
« Reply #1873 on: August 18, 2020, 03:17:54 AM »

New Winkowski Shape 10 x 31.59 (14.5wb)
169 (conical bushings + flat washer)
OG Classic 58
Swiss
1/8” riser

Same concave, longer nose, wider at the back truck and narrower at the tail. It’s interesting, definitely an improvement but I miss the old tail. Fucking excited though

Nth syd bear

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1874 on: August 18, 2020, 03:25:06 AM »
Well that looks fresh...  sick set up texasplant  :)

Seventyfrigginseven

« Reply #1875 on: August 18, 2020, 03:54:58 AM »

OG Classic 58
Swiss
1/8” riser

Same concave, longer nose, wider at the back truck and narrower at the tail. It’s interesting, definitely an improvement but I miss the old tail. Fucking excited though
What a beauty.

jay_nev

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1876 on: August 18, 2020, 04:05:08 AM »
The changes to that all seem really good.

texasplant

« Reply #1877 on: August 18, 2020, 04:17:56 AM »
Forgot to mention it’s double drilled for 15” as well

animalflesh

« Reply #1878 on: August 18, 2020, 05:53:03 AM »
Was waiting for someone to post one of those

Looks sick

GBLange

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 276
« Reply #1879 on: August 18, 2020, 09:37:50 AM »

OG Classic 58
Swiss
1/8” riser

That deck shape looks great..

Sundaynuggets

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Rep: 124
« Reply #1880 on: August 18, 2020, 09:47:46 AM »
Does that new Winkowski still have the same double kick on the tail?

jay_nev

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1881 on: August 18, 2020, 05:34:58 PM »

Anyone know dims? Woodshop/shape for lurkville?

texasplant

« Reply #1882 on: August 18, 2020, 05:37:06 PM »

Yeah, thank god

Seventyfrigginseven

« Reply #1883 on: August 18, 2020, 05:42:43 PM »

I don't know your answer unfortunately, but that kid is fucking good! Thank you for the enlightenment.

Sundaynuggets

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Rep: 124
« Reply #1884 on: August 18, 2020, 05:48:44 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Yeah, thank god

Nice, I didn’t think I would like that feature but it actually feels pretty cool

144p

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1885 on: August 18, 2020, 07:40:58 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
They use generator, I know Chris was riding a Dane 1 shape and his board is based off that. Might just be that board. He rips for sure.

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1341
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #1886 on: August 18, 2020, 07:48:22 PM »
Apparently that dude had a pro model drop seven hours ago but I can't find it up anywhere. Looks likely that shape will be available any minute. It does look a lot like a Dane1, at least in the tail.
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

jay_nev

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1887 on: August 18, 2020, 07:53:20 PM »
Thought it looked longer than Dane 1.. wb too. Not as wide and less taper.

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 864
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1888 on: August 18, 2020, 11:41:44 PM »
Thought it looked longer than Dane 1.. wb too. Not as wide and less taper.
now i want it
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

Giza Butler

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 87
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1889 on: August 19, 2020, 03:23:03 AM »

OG Classic 58
Swiss
1/8” riser

ooohhhh weeeee. This is right up my alley, I never wanted to get an "old" Winkowski due to the lack of nose.
The '80s were the worst period. You had these horrible pop bands growing their hair and calling themselves metal.