Author Topic: Big Boards 9"+( I wanna hear big boys talk about their big boards)  (Read 546933 times)

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
Re: Big Boards 9"+( I wanna hear big boys talk about their big boards)
« Reply #2100 on: October 01, 2020, 02:27:15 PM »
@Seventyfrigginseven hell yeah just looked back at the beginning and holy shit boardy cakes on 215

fs1/2cab

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 622
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #2101 on: October 01, 2020, 02:30:20 PM »
@Seventyfrigginseven hell yeah just looked back at the beginning and holy shit boardy cakes on 215

What the heck?! My 159s feel funny with 50 mm spit classics, can't imagine how sick that must feel.
IG: @flowterspace

yourbreakfsat

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 769
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2102 on: October 01, 2020, 03:16:30 PM »
xpost from setup thread

Transportation Unit Dog Walker 9.85" x 31.625" with 14.5" wheelbase
Indy 169s with aftermarket Indy 90a bushings
Speedlab Jason Adams 56mm 99a wheels
Bones Swiss
Powell Rib Bones
MOB
Mini Logo 1/4" risers
Shorty's 1/4" hardware

Black Label deck is much more beat than the picture shows.

YungJugg

• Rep: 229
« Reply #2103 on: October 01, 2020, 03:25:59 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

What the heck?! My 159s feel funny with 50 mm spit classics, can't imagine how sick that must feel.

I thought my 41mm on 169s looked absurd (they do) but this is next level.

Gabagoolslide

• Rep: -85
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #2104 on: October 01, 2020, 03:32:32 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I thought my 41mm on 169s looked absurd (they do) but this is next level.

Notice the wheelbite

bigdave

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 179
« Reply #2105 on: October 01, 2020, 03:35:26 PM »
Guys, do I need to go from 14.5 WB to 15" WB?

Skating more tranny lately than anything, or just curbs, manual pads (not in a tech way at all). popping ollies, dont really care about any flip trick at the moment.

I am trying to improve the tranny skills though. I am 6'3"+ too, so proportionately....does a longer WB make sense for me? Still gonna ride the 9s of course.
ok thanks

Seventyfrigginseven

« Reply #2106 on: October 01, 2020, 03:50:35 PM »

That is wild! Gotta be fun as hell!

Diocletian

« Reply #2107 on: October 01, 2020, 05:21:29 PM »
It's been a while since I've had a shaped board so I thought I'd try something different

Love Seat 9.0
159 hollow standard
54mm conical full

I almost bought this because of the super short wheelbase, I think it's around 13.5"? Then I decided maybe it's a little too short. I'd be curious how this feels with Ace's.

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1341
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #2108 on: October 01, 2020, 05:54:08 PM »

Skating more tranny lately than anything, or just curbs, manual pads (not in a tech way at all). popping ollies, dont really care about any flip trick at the moment.

I am trying to improve the tranny skills though. I am 6'3"+ too, so proportionately....does a longer WB make sense for me? Still gonna ride the 9s of course.
What's your inseam? If you don't know, measure it to get a good idea of what wb might work for you. I'm 6' but I have relatively short legs so I ride a shorter wb.
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

sketchyrider

« Reply #2109 on: October 01, 2020, 07:40:26 PM »

im the same height as you, size 12 shoes. when i was real into a bowl/transition phase i was into those 15 inch WB boards. i think they helped me learn how to carve, especially bigger mellower pockets that can be a little challenging to make speed off of.

im back down a to shorter WB, im happy at 14.38 or 14.5. reasons being, i can pivot the board faster which makes stalls and grinds way easier, i get less ghost pop, and flips are easier.

i guess i don't really have an answer for ya, other than i think us bigger guys should be on the longer side of the WB spectrum, but exactly where is up to you. you could even get crazy and go for one of those powell boards with a 15.5 inch WB. for me it kinda helped to size up and then back down, it allowed me to notice a sweet spot.

Seventyfrigginseven

« Reply #2110 on: October 02, 2020, 05:20:13 AM »
Expand Quote
It's been a while since I've had a shaped board so I thought I'd try something different

Love Seat 9.0
159 hollow standard
54mm conical full

[close]

I almost bought this because of the super short wheelbase, I think it's around 13.5"? Then I decided maybe it's a little too short. I'd be curious how this feels with Ace's.
I believe the wb is a little bigger than 13.5. I can tell you I have skated one with Ventures which really extended the wb. I didn't really like it so on my second loveseat I used indys and it is perfect for me. I imagine that aces would be close to the indys in terms of wb, but I have never skated them. Basically keeping the wb short on that shape is fun.

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #2111 on: October 02, 2020, 06:31:34 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Love Seat 9.0
159 hollow standard
54mm conical full

[close]

[close]
I believe the wb is a little bigger than 13.5. I can tell you I have skated one with Ventures which really extended the wb. I didn't really like it so on my second loveseat I used indys and it is perfect for me. I imagine that aces would be close to the indys in terms of wb, but I have never skated them. Basically keeping the wb short on that shape is fun.

13.875" WB. I'm 6'3" and skated mine with aces and Indys. It was fine. Tons of flat and the a steep angle when the kicks do go up so it feels longer. This was my lockdown board and I wasn't skating transition on it but for flatground and curbs were super fun.

@bigdave recently skated transition for the first time in ages and it made me break out my 14.75" WB. For curbs and stuff I'm down with whatever WB but as far as transition that big WB feels so much better to me.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2020, 06:46:30 AM by FrozenIndustries »

bigdave

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2112 on: October 02, 2020, 06:44:47 AM »
Ok. I went up in WB to see how I like it. I was reticent to do it but it seemed like a good idea to at least try after reading some threads here.
AH Team Eagle 9x33(!!) 15.06WB
Ace 55s
Dressen OJIIs 56mm
Bronson Shieldless
Will ride this on everything
IMG_3039 by LivingMinimal, on Flickr
ok thanks

knee surgery

• Rep: 12
« Reply #2113 on: October 02, 2020, 07:46:38 AM »
the dane1 shape is probably the best big board shape ever (short wheelbase works like a charm) I can do everything I do with my regular board but it feels even better.

Polar Dane1 shape
indy 169
spitfire 60mm classics
1/8 risers

jay_nev

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2114 on: October 02, 2020, 08:20:38 AM »
Ok. I went up in WB to see how I like it. I was reticent to do it but it seemed like a good idea to at least try after reading some threads here.
Ace 55s
Dressen OJIIs 56mm
Bronson Shieldless
Nice. riding clutch V10 now same dimensions, let meknow how you like it on ace 55. I've just been cruising neighborhood on it and its a labor to pop and 180 around haha. with indy 169 ti

sketchyrider

« Reply #2115 on: October 02, 2020, 08:36:25 AM »
i was gonna ask whats up with all the 6 foot 3 clowns in here but i forgot we are in the mondo board thread.

bigdave

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2116 on: October 04, 2020, 07:38:31 AM »
Expand Quote
Ace 55s
Dressen OJIIs 56mm
Bronson Shieldless
[close]
Nice. riding clutch V10 now same dimensions, let meknow how you like it on ace 55. I've just been cruising neighborhood on it and its a labor to pop and 180 around haha. with indy 169 ti

You know, I like it, but I dont love it. I skated a 5' wood bowl with a tight pocket yesterday and it was definitely stable, but in skating street, it does feel laborious. That said, I am not flipping my board much but in frustration at the bottom of the bowl yesterday I did a perfect heelflip on it? Random.

I am thinking of picking up a couple of these in 9" - Pat says they'll be restocked soon.
https://codaskateboards.com/collections/decks/products/exquisite-corpse-rowland-9-0

14.75" wheelbase feels like a happy medium. (its literally the medium between the polar I was riding and the Antihero)

I am a big fan of Pat and Coda. Always have been. When I got back into skating I was glad to see they're still going and Pat is into so many cool projects now with the curbs and whatnot.
ok thanks

jay_nev

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2117 on: October 04, 2020, 01:42:44 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Ace 55s
Dressen OJIIs 56mm
Bronson Shieldless
[close]
[close]

You know, I like it, but I dont love it. I skated a 5' wood bowl with a tight pocket yesterday and it was definitely stable, but in skating street, it does feel laborious. That said, I am not flipping my board much but in frustration at the bottom of the bowl yesterday I did a perfect heelflip on it? Random.

I am thinking of picking up a couple of these in 9" - Pat says they'll be restocked soon.
https://codaskateboards.com/collections/decks/products/exquisite-corpse-rowland-9-0

14.75" wheelbase feels like a happy medium. (its literally the medium between the polar I was riding and the Antihero)

I am a big fan of Pat and Coda. Always have been. When I got back into skating I was glad to see they're still going and Pat is into so many cool projects now with the curbs and whatnot.

that does look good. Yeah I’m curious to try 14.75” with ace. That 9” would be a good candidate for 55’s but would have to see top down and finger of flat etc. I’m not riding bowls or transition atm so we might be looking for different things. But I’m also not flipping my board a ton like you said.

animalflesh

« Reply #2118 on: October 04, 2020, 02:13:13 PM »
Coda is a great company and worth the support

Everyone involved truly cares about skateboarding and doing right by it

bigdave

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2119 on: October 04, 2020, 02:18:32 PM »
Coda is a great company and worth the support

Everyone involved truly cares about skateboarding and doing right by it

Yeah. my credit card is ready for two of those boards as soon as they come back as well as any tees or merch I can get my hands on.
ok thanks

sexhaver2006

• Rep: -13
« Reply #2120 on: October 04, 2020, 09:38:36 PM »
Anyone got a read on popsicles in the 9.0-9.5 range?

animalflesh

« Reply #2121 on: October 05, 2020, 10:27:01 AM »
So I popped my hip out a few times the past few months

Last night I stepped on a board I set up months ago for the first time

Feels so good

Monkey_Mcpott

« Reply #2122 on: October 05, 2020, 12:49:51 PM »
Slave Dicola 9 x 33 with 15 WB
169 Indys with red 88a soft bushings
55 F4 Tablets
Swiss

Seventyfrigginseven

« Reply #2123 on: October 05, 2020, 01:19:27 PM »
So I popped my hip out a few times the past few months

Last night I stepped on a board I set up months ago for the first time

Feels so good

Nice to have you back  :)
Sick looking setup man

144p

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1082
    • 35th Ave Skates avatar image
« Reply #2124 on: October 05, 2020, 05:20:16 PM »
Anyone got a read on popsicles in the 9.0-9.5 range?
Opinion or just finding a place to get one

Maccat

• Rep: 78
« Reply #2125 on: October 05, 2020, 06:38:41 PM »

Bought this on pure impulse, wheel wells didn’t hurt. Hear so much good stuff about this shape that I had to give it a shot.

Zark

• Rep: 6
« Reply #2126 on: October 05, 2020, 07:16:59 PM »

Bought this on pure impulse, wheel wells didn’t hurt. Hear so much good stuff about this shape that I had to give it a shot.
can you tell me the width over the back truck?

jay_nev

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2127 on: October 05, 2020, 07:24:31 PM »
It’s like 8.75” (?) rear bolt or something if I remember correctly. I could measure tmrw.   Love the wheel wells
« Last Edit: October 09, 2020, 05:24:22 AM by jay_nev »

Zark

• Rep: 6
« Reply #2128 on: October 05, 2020, 09:04:14 PM »
It’s like 8.875” front bolt and 8.75” (?) rear bolt or something if I remember correctly. I could measure tmrw. Depends front or rear bolts too, ha.  Love the wheel wells
I'm looking at the shape for my next cruiser, and I have 169's just wonderin how much it would hot rod, if those measurements are right I 'd be fine with it

jay_nev

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2129 on: October 06, 2020, 04:12:41 AM »
Expand Quote
It’s like 8.875” front bolt and 8.75” (?) rear bolt or something if I remember correctly. I could measure tmrw. Depends front or rear bolts too, ha.  Love the wheel wells
[close]
I'm looking at the shape for my next cruiser, and I have 169's just wonderin how much it would hot rod, if those measurements are right I 'd be fine with it
yeah I ran 169’s fine