Author Topic: The Set-up Thread  (Read 4828292 times)

420beers and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.

Solex

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 29
Re: The Set-up Thread
« Reply #30600 on: March 16, 2022, 02:45:20 AM »

Miles grip
Losers ATL
Some funky tri winged titanium hardware
Indy mid cast baseplates, array sleeved flat bushing cup, Krux K4 Barrel bushing, Thunder 149 Ti hanger, 6006 bearing shield sandwiched in between a Tensor interconnecting top bushing. Pivot cup holes were filled with J-B Weld steel reinforced epoxy to take up the slack in the geometry. Titanium Jacobs Ladder inverted kingpins.
Bones Swiss 6
Spits conical slims 52's, way smaller now
Those Losers boards look really cool!

PuffinMuffin

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1433
« Reply #30601 on: March 16, 2022, 04:52:15 AM »
How’s that miles grip? I’ve seen those plastic blades lying around lately

Really nice, it's grippy but not as much as Mob but the grip lasts a lot longer than Jessup. It feels perfect. I wish they'd stop including the useless plastic blades.

Those Losers boards look really cool!

They skate really well too, and they're on sale right now for $50.  :)
i’m 80% skateboarder 20% atlantic puffin enthusiast

Knee Pain

• Rep: 42
« Reply #30602 on: March 16, 2022, 11:42:04 AM »
Expand Quote

Hockey 8.44
Mob
Venture 5.8
Bronze
F4 conical fulls
Reds
[close]

How do you like a hockey deck on ventures? Many say they don’t like ventures with steep kicks and 14“+ wheelbase

Yeah I like it, I skated limosine and krooked boards before this and def noticed the steepness of the hockey at first, but it was fine once I got used to it.

I found the best combination was a 8.5 krooked with a 14.25 wheelbase and ventures, seemed to work really well for me.

JugeL

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 301
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #30603 on: March 16, 2022, 02:08:40 PM »

Enjoi 8.5
Ace AF1 55
Spitfire F4 Classics 60mm
Bronson G3

Found my perfect setup after few changes. Af1s + 60mm wheels feel so fucking good. Enjois steep kicks makes it just that much better.

fakie varial flip

« Reply #30604 on: March 16, 2022, 02:16:29 PM »

Enjoi 8.5
Ace AF1 55
Spitfire F4 Classics 60mm
Bronson G3

Found my perfect setup after few changes. Af1s + 60mm wheels feel so fucking good. Enjois steep kicks makes it just that much better.

I like to return to this thread every now and then and just ogle the beauty of 58mm+ classics, so thanks for contributing to it

Matt reason setups will always be cool

coexist3

• Rep: 61
« Reply #30605 on: March 16, 2022, 03:51:13 PM »

traffic 7.75
venture 5.0hi
dialtone 54mm

oliknight

« Reply #30606 on: March 16, 2022, 03:53:14 PM »

traffic 7.75
venture 5.0hi
dialtone 54mm

Yesssssss! Loving seeing 7.5-8 set ups on here!

nekro

• Rep: 8
« Reply #30607 on: March 16, 2022, 04:26:22 PM »

Polar Ozkar Rozenberg 'Tricycle' 1991 Jr shape (8.65" (WIDEST POINT) X 32", NOSE: 7.0", WHEEL BASE: 14.375", TAIL:6.5")
Jessup Sidewalk Grey grip
Indy 149 Titanium
Bones Hard bushings
Indy 7/8" Allen bolts
Spitfire Conical Full 97a 58mm
Bones Swiss 6 (1 old Bones Red as one bearing fell out of the packet and I can't find the bugger anywhere)

I love the Polar shapes and the more square tail on this one, keen to try the P9 as well.  These boards remind me of minis in 90/91.
I'm not using any risers as I like my trucks tight but will see how I get on and might add some later.
I've not skated it outside yet but the trucks feel really unstable and I've got the same problem with my Indy Hollows on my other deck where I'm using Indy hard bushings.  I was hoping the Bones bushings would help but now I'm thinking I should try some Ventures.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1014
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #30608 on: March 16, 2022, 08:31:28 PM »
What’s an ideal setup for a 5’5” adult woman who wants to learn at parks? Thinking 8.5” on Indy 149 but don’t know if brand new ones need a lot of break in time. Ace might be too unstable for a newbie. Willing to sacrifice my hard earned broken in bushings to help the cause. I have old 8” board and trucks (Ace 33 w/ bones mediums that make them squirrelly despite cranked down nut) I could give her but wider is more better? I haven’t been new to this in a while. Looking back my first setup wasn’t ideal but I didn’t have grownup money to change it.

Mad respeck to an any person with a fully developed brain willing to dive in.

5'5" is pretty average, and she probably has little feet, all these 8.5"/149 suggestions are crazy to me.

8.25 w/ forged indy 144s an some small 97a wheels (until she gets the hang of things). Depending on her weight I'd suggest Bones SOFT bushings. Going forged for lower center of gravity. Hell you could save a few bucks and get some 8.3 Mini Logos, they're work great (soft bushings tho).

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 546
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #30609 on: March 16, 2022, 10:29:59 PM »

Enjoi 8.5

I knew I should’ve snagged another one of these pandas, that pink stain looks too good

Maxi205

• Rep: 32
« Reply #30610 on: March 16, 2022, 11:46:04 PM »
Expand Quote
New one very exited to try out an 8,5 with a 14 inch wheelbase

Anti Hero mis team eagle 8,5x31,75x14wb
ACE af1 55
Spitfire formula four 53 conical 99a
Shorty's 7/8 lights hardware
Industrial 6 ball bearings
Mob grip
[
[close]

Can we get an update on this setup? Looks beautiful.

The beautiful look was unfortunately the only thing I liked about the setup. The deck was way to steep which I didn‘t like could be due to the fact that it was 1 (top of the press). It has a huge shovel nose and a short tail which is also not to my liking reminded me of a Hockey deck I rode in the past. The thing that threw me of the most though was that it tapered from almost 8.6 over the front bolts to 8.38 over the back bolts. After three sessions and a lot of frustration I‘m back on the april/primitive 8.25 shape which I should stay on since I ride the most consistent on those things.

Maxi205

• Rep: 32
« Reply #30611 on: March 17, 2022, 01:00:14 AM »
I‘m not a big fan of either primitive or april but I love their shape so I had to get back. Atleast they had the Mariano graphic so that I don‘t have to ride this ridiculous dragonball z or naruto graphics that primitive do

April 8.25x31.875x 14wb
Mob grip
ACE af 1 55
Spitfire f4 99a 53 conical
Shorty‘s 7/8 lights allen

JugeL

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #30612 on: March 17, 2022, 02:36:35 AM »
Expand Quote

Enjoi 8.5
[close]

I knew I should’ve snagged another one of these pandas, that pink stain looks too good
Best board i've ridden maybe even ever. Love the steep kicks but flat concave yet 14.25 wb. Also the board feels like it's impossible to chip. That R7 stuff totally works.

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 706
« Reply #30613 on: March 17, 2022, 02:53:21 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Enjoi 8.5
[close]

[close]
Best board i've ridden maybe even ever. Love the steep kicks but flat concave yet 14.25 wb. Also the board feels like it's impossible to chip. That R7 stuff totally works.

Wait. What wood is it? I chip DLX and BBS decks literally after two or three sessions max. mainly from heelflips gone wrong. I understand R7 is a special formula? Tell me more!

why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 632
« Reply #30614 on: March 17, 2022, 03:02:46 AM »
needed a new board, realized I'd never actually skated a Polar. Expected it to feel a bit boatlike as I'm skating Venture's and a lot of people swear by smaller wheelbases but it's working well for me.

8.5 x 32.125 x 14.5wb
venture 5.6, supercush 90a, flat washers
dialtone conical 52m 99a
Mini logo bearings, jessup and pig risers - dunno why I'm still running risers tbh, put em on like 7 years ago running 56's on thunders and just never stopped.

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 273
  • Just deck / woodshop info
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #30615 on: March 17, 2022, 04:40:36 AM »

Wait. What wood is it? I chip DLX and BBS decks literally after two or three sessions max. mainly from heelflips gone wrong. I understand R7 is a special formula? Tell me more!

Dwindle is the woodshop.

R7 is Resin 7 ply construction.

https://dwindle.com/

From a search:

Maybe a bit of an overrated technology but nonetheless RESIN-7 claims to make skateboard decks lighter and stronger. The name comes from the type of glue used called epoxy resin glue, a non-water-based glue which makes skateboard decks more rigid.

Filip

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -57
« Reply #30616 on: March 17, 2022, 05:07:15 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Dwindle is the woodshop.

R7 is Resin 7 ply construction.

https://dwindle.com/

From a search:

Maybe a bit of an overrated technology but nonetheless RESIN-7 claims to make skateboard decks lighter and stronger. The name comes from the type of glue used called epoxy resin glue, a non-water-based glue which makes skateboard decks more rigid.

I dont know if I ever skated a Dwindle board, but everytime I see one in the wild, the always look exactly like I would want a board to look. Super thin, crispy, very solid and they sound nice too. My local always has some, but never anything close to my size or preference, so I always just look at them when buying boards.

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1079
« Reply #30617 on: March 17, 2022, 05:10:21 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Enjoi 8.5
[close]

[close]

I love the R7 and I’ve skated a lot, but those decks chip easier than any other skateboard I’ve ever used, usually within the first few sessions. I assume that using epoxy to create a stiffer deck also means that the deck is less forgiving of little incidents like running into a skatepark fence or whatever. I’m still a fan but chip proof they are not.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 706
« Reply #30618 on: March 17, 2022, 05:26:03 AM »
Conflicting information.

Thanks @Woodshop

I guess I‘ll have to find out myself at some point, provided they make twins.

Edit: They don‘t make twins, do they?
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

JugeL

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #30619 on: March 17, 2022, 06:17:04 AM »
Weird, the reason i don't like bbs boards is the chipping. This is now my third enjoi R7 and never managed to chip board other than maybe a little chip. They definately are super stiff tho

Solex

• Rep: 29
« Reply #30620 on: March 17, 2022, 06:24:43 AM »
They don't, as far as I know...

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1014
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #30621 on: March 17, 2022, 09:30:06 AM »
Expand Quote

Enjoi 8.5
[close]

I've been getting a lot of mail order decks with a top pink stained ply, I am never disappointed. Pink, orange, or the rare purple are always great!

LebowskisRug

« Reply #30622 on: March 17, 2022, 09:41:59 AM »
I have an Isle with a gorgeous purple bottom ply but a fucking yellow top. yellow is only one step above natural light ply as my least favorite. I don’t believe in the red ply superstition and would prefer those first.

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 273
  • Just deck / woodshop info
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #30623 on: March 17, 2022, 05:16:53 PM »
I have an Isle with a gorgeous purple bottom ply but a fucking yellow top. yellow is only one step above natural light ply as my least favorite. I don’t believe in the red ply superstition and would prefer those first.

Ha yeah it is a funny one, the old skater preference.

Never liked red tops.  Loved yellow and orange tops as they were all that most boards I rode came with for a few years and never had a bad one.

Natural tops just don't do it for me at all.  Natural bottoms are not a whole lot better now I have had some really good bottom stains more recently, but I can deal with natural bottoms if they had a nice stained top, or they skated well.

End of the day, if they feel good, no worries, but if they feel soggy, or uncomfortable, they will be gone very quickly.

MxsDx

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 98
« Reply #30624 on: March 17, 2022, 07:02:01 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I am pretty sure chocolate is pressed at DSM now (the Dwindle woodshop). Resin glue, super stiff, steep kicks, but mellow concave. Really good wood. At any rate they have the Crob twin if that’s your thing. Might be worth checking out.

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 546
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #30625 on: March 17, 2022, 07:27:11 PM »
The one BBS board I’ve tried in recent years, I took an inch long chunk out of the nose after it ran into a ledge, I’ve taken enjoi boards head on into concrete walls after exiting a grind and they haven’t even dented.

I’m not saying R7 are bullet proof, but they are plentiful and almost always on sale

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1958
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #30626 on: March 17, 2022, 07:27:46 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

I am pretty sure chocolate is pressed at DSM now (the Dwindle woodshop). Resin glue, super stiff, steep kicks, but mellow concave. Really good wood. At any rate they have the Crob twin if that’s your thing. Might be worth checking out.

Interesting, got any pics of the top markings? Did it mention Resin-7 or have a Regrowth graphic etched on top?
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Boog

• Rep: 200
« Reply #30627 on: March 17, 2022, 07:33:01 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]

Interesting, got any pics of the top markings? Did it mention Resin-7 or have a Regrowth graphic etched on top?
The aren't made by dwindle. They are made by the same place girl uses in china. Same shapes and markings.

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1341
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #30628 on: March 17, 2022, 07:57:30 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

I just bought a Chocolate and was surprised at how steep the kicks are. FA territory. It's a pop secret deck so maybe those are different molds? Top etchings look like standard Crailtap though so I would imagine it's still the same shop.
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

MxsDx

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 98
« Reply #30629 on: March 17, 2022, 08:32:58 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]
I just bought a Chocolate and was surprised at how steep the kicks are. FA territory. It's a pop secret deck so maybe those are different molds? Top etchings look like standard Crailtap though so I would imagine it's still the same shop.

I’ve heard the pop secret decks are steeper, but I haven’t seen one so don’t know. If it isn’t DSM, but a different Chinese woodshop, all I can say is they are indistinguishable from the Dwindle R7 decks in terms of finish, board feel and durability.