Author Topic: The Set-up Thread  (Read 4815658 times)

FatGuy92, yourfuckingdad, Notyourmom, swongolianbbq and 6 Guests are viewing this topic.

hobochimp

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 277
Re: The Set-up Thread
« Reply #31770 on: August 16, 2022, 04:05:39 PM »
I too am a fan of crail recently. Super poppy yet still decently mellow concave. The Carl aikens shape G057 is so good

Landmine

• Rep: 184
« Reply #31771 on: August 16, 2022, 07:26:11 PM »
lots of green stains on this page, i'll add mine:
Primitive Villani egg, DBZ graphic removed with combo of acetone and sandpaper methods, then hit with a quick spray gloss
Venture 6.1 with the "loose trucks" bushing kit (haven't ridden a set of Ventures since probably '96)
Spitfire F4 99a 51mm
off-brand ceramics from Amazon that have actually been pretty great
Shorty's lights 7/8 allen
Pepper grip

Someone needs to start making good blanks with interesting shapes cuz this looks perfect

big_kev_215

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 727
« Reply #31772 on: August 16, 2022, 07:38:08 PM »

Second setup in a couple days… oops

Curren Caples 9.0”
Tensor mag lights (first time trying these)
Spitfire 55 mm F4 classics
Swiss
Mob

Uncle Flea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 963
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #31773 on: August 16, 2022, 08:53:50 PM »

Anti Hero (8.5x31.7x14)
Ace Classic 44
Spitfire 52mm Tablets
Bender 7/8 phillips bolts
Reds shieldless n dry
Slappy Hour 14” rails for 14”wb gang
Pepper grip (ugh)

NB440s

i need one of these.

every board posted lately is fire af. slap has the best taste in skateboarding
« Last Edit: August 16, 2022, 09:09:35 PM by Uncle Flea »
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 577
« Reply #31774 on: August 16, 2022, 09:33:44 PM »
Expand Quote
lots of green stains on this page, i'll add mine:
Primitive Villani egg, DBZ graphic removed with combo of acetone and sandpaper methods, then hit with a quick spray gloss
Venture 6.1 with the "loose trucks" bushing kit (haven't ridden a set of Ventures since probably '96)
Spitfire F4 99a 51mm
off-brand ceramics from Amazon that have actually been pretty great
Shorty's lights 7/8 allen
Pepper grip

[close]

Someone needs to start making good blanks with interesting shapes cuz this looks perfect

Socal skate shop has shaped blanks. Both Clutch and Prime wood

https://socalskateshop.com/Blank-Skateboard-Decks.html

nitro89

• Rep: 88
« Reply #31775 on: August 17, 2022, 03:24:59 AM »
Expand Quote
Not the OP, but Crail wood is great now. Very stiff, very snappy, feels great for a long time. I had no complaints but the G052 was way too small for me. My main issue is that the shapes are all pretty different so it's not like BBS where often times there is similarities in kick dimensions.
[close]

This.  All of the crail decks I have had recently have stayed crispy for a long time.

after skating a few this year ill throw in my two cents to agree with these above two statements.
good wood, good shapes, perfect dims.
"Skateboarding doesn't owe you shit. It owes you wheelbite in the rain" - Jake Phelps"

Ride it to dust

• Rep: 54
« Reply #31776 on: August 17, 2022, 07:34:26 AM »
Ive skated two G016’s back to back and they seemed consistently good. Just wish they’d make a 8.375 with a longer tail and 14.25 WB.

Idk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 305
« Reply #31777 on: August 17, 2022, 07:37:09 AM »
Ive skated two G016’s back to back and they seemed consistently good. Just wish they’d make a 8.375 with a longer tail and 14.25 WB.
Can’t believe that’s actually what Mike Carroll rides.

roba

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 775
« Reply #31778 on: August 17, 2022, 08:21:40 AM »

i had that shape too, thought i would like it a lot (and i did for certain tricks) but it's so fucking hard to tailslide on such a short tail. if they had a 8.375 shape with a 6.6 tail and 14.25wb i could happily skate that shape only until i die because the wood is really really good now. i'm on a 917 now and the tail on it is like 6.5, it's better but still feels a tiny bit too short, i think 6.6 would be perfect
I'm ok with theft. It happens to me all the time.
I steal too

I’m rich and smart

R.I.P Tate

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #31779 on: August 17, 2022, 09:46:29 AM »
I’ve already said it but just in case crail is reading make an8.6-8.75 popsicle with a sub 14.5 wheelbase. Or just take the brophy shape and get rid of the huge 14.75 wb and do like a 14.3 or something.

Ride it to dust

« Reply #31780 on: August 17, 2022, 10:08:04 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I know, makes you wonder if its a marketing thing. Although Carroll and Tyler Pacheco both look like short(ish) dudes so would make sense. Im 6ft and find it a bit cramped but its a familiar shape now

Ride it to dust

« Reply #31781 on: August 17, 2022, 10:11:03 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

i had that shape too, thought i would like it a lot (and i did for certain tricks) but it's so fucking hard to tailslide on such a short tail. if they had a 8.375 shape with a 6.6 tail and 14.25wb i could happily skate that shape only until i die because the wood is really really good now. i'm on a 917 now and the tail on it is like 6.5, it's better but still feels a tiny bit too short, i think 6.6 would be perfect

I also found its hard to tailslide on (when I attempt them). Nose is bigger on it so feels like they almost need to pinch a bit of length from there or something.
Ive got UK 10.5 feet so the tail just feels a bit cramped but also ive got used to popping closer to the end of the tail on it with Thunders

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 577
« Reply #31782 on: August 17, 2022, 05:14:16 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

I know, makes you wonder if its a marketing thing. Although Carroll and Tyler Pacheco both look like short(ish) dudes so would make sense. Im 6ft and find it a bit cramped but its a familiar shape now

Manchild was riding an 8.125 a few years back.. not sure if he actually skates the 8.375

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1113
« Reply #31783 on: August 17, 2022, 08:58:31 PM »
Crails have the short tails, and I like it. GG shape is really great. I don’t mess with boards that big anymore tho. I also had the Brophy, and surprisingly enjoyed that as well, even tho it is total boat. I really like the 7.8+ shape. Haven’t any of their regular 8s.
Their products are decent

nitro89

• Rep: 88
« Reply #31784 on: August 18, 2022, 12:27:02 AM »

this but with a 14" WB to pair with the forged ventures and my uk12 canoe shoes. #ultimatecombo
for now ill just stick to the G052 and G069's.
"Skateboarding doesn't owe you shit. It owes you wheelbite in the rain" - Jake Phelps"

Big Baby Jesus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 265
    • Suciu avatar image
« Reply #31785 on: August 18, 2022, 04:17:48 AM »
Crails have the short tails, and I like it. GG shape is really great. I don’t mess with boards that big anymore tho. I also had the Brophy, and surprisingly enjoyed that as well, even tho it is total boat. I really like the 7.8+ shape. Haven’t any of their regular 8s.

Always been really curious about Craig’s short tails. I normally chalk it up to Rick and Mike skating in the 90s when all those decks had extremely small tails and being comfortable with them. Probably not the reason but just a guess. Almost all of their popsicles have a tail below 6.5”. Any one try the G027? Popsicle with shorter nose than tail.
flat spotted 3 times in 2 weeks, other than that awesome wheels

Baby is gonna be raised by Max and Cyrus

roba

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #31786 on: August 18, 2022, 05:26:13 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Always been really curious about Craig’s short tails. I normally chalk it up to Rick and Mike skating in the 90s when all those decks had extremely small tails and being comfortable with them. Probably not the reason but just a guess. Almost all of their popsicles have a tail below 6.5”. Any one try the G027? Popsicle with shorter nose than tail.

i never owned that board but a homie had one and it's kinda funny because shape-wise you can clearly tell the nose from the tail, it's a lot more square and a little steeper too i think? this was a few months ago so i might be mistaken about the steepness but the shapes of the kicks were definitely different. i skated around on it for a few minutes and didn't like it because of the short wheelbase. other than the shorter nose it's pretty much identical to the g052 (which was his next board so i got to compare the two).
I steal too

I’m rich and smart

R.I.P Tate

LebowskisRug

« Reply #31787 on: August 18, 2022, 07:19:43 AM »
There's quite a few shapes with normal tails, at least using a DLX 8.25 tail length of 6.55 as standard: they have a total of 10 shapes between 6.5-6.625.

Thebird

• Rep: 158
« Reply #31788 on: August 18, 2022, 08:07:17 AM »
With all of the different Crail shapes, I'd love to see a list ranking them by popularity/sales. 

Shagohod

• Rep: 6
  • la li lu le lo
« Reply #31789 on: August 18, 2022, 09:13:50 AM »
All this talk about crail wood isn't helping my madness... I want to try one out again.

The last crail board i rode was a girl carroll a few years back. Unsure of the name/number of the shape, but the madness led me to it. 8" deck, venture 5.2 lows, bones big balls, spitfire f4 52's, mob. I didn't really vibe with it and the board felt soggy or something. Sounds like things have changed for the better.

This will sound nuts but I've been trying to recreate the feel of a setup I rode way back in the day. It was an 8" think deck, venture 5.2 lows, pig wheels, lucky bearings.. straight out of the 90's/early 00's haha. I dont know what it was about that particular deck, but I haven't been able to find or set anything up that felt like it. The hunt continues...
Let us all take a moment of silence for all our brothers and sisters who are dealing with truck madness. We have reached page 100 and shown the world that it’s not easy, but we’re strong as one.

Curbfiend

• Rep: 4
« Reply #31790 on: August 18, 2022, 10:02:48 AM »

Grimple stix gerwer 8.38x31.3x14.18
Thunder 147 standards
Spitfire skate like a girl classics 53mm 99a F4
Quantum isotopes
Jessup
1/8” bones risers
« Last Edit: August 18, 2022, 10:13:14 AM by Curbfiend »

Scottboarding

• Rep: 82
« Reply #31791 on: August 18, 2022, 10:10:39 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Any one try the G027? Popsicle with shorter nose than tail.
I’m riding one right now and I really like. The nose being shorter than the tail isn’t something I notice/feel when skating it. I haven’t lost or started struggling with any tricks on it but I also don’t have a super deep bag of tricks to lose so I’m probably not the best source for that.

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1090
« Reply #31792 on: August 18, 2022, 03:17:25 PM »

I skated a G052, which is basically the same board scaled up to 8.25”, and I didn’t notice the tail/nose thing at all, but as I’ve mentioned here a few times I intensely disliked other aspects of the board and took it off very quickly.

This is more a personal matter, but I’ve still got it and now it’s not winter and I’m not unemployed doing the same tricks in the same spot feeling depressed all day, so I think I’ll probably give it another shot.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

LebowskisRug

« Reply #31793 on: August 18, 2022, 08:19:16 PM »
G052 is fun but too short WB for me. If they did it with 14.25-14.3 I'd really enjoy it. Super snappy and ridiculously easy for rotational tricks.

tom

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 987
  • the moon rules
« Reply #31794 on: August 18, 2022, 09:04:45 PM »

I might be too heavy for lipslides on rails

8.25 Cash Only
DC Stevie Slims
fuck you bama

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 843
« Reply #31795 on: August 19, 2022, 02:21:51 AM »

Been a minute since I posted in here. Had to get the dragons as I'm like the confluence of all the things they're apparently good for (old guy, urban commuter in rust belt city, no tech tricks to fuck up, gear nerd, eternally uncool etc etc) and saw the wrestling decks were on clearance so I couldn't resist.

- Enjoi Caswell Berry/Jake the Snake deck
8.25" x 31.9“ 14.25" wb. Mellow concave, steep kick mold
- Mini logo 8.38 trucks (s/o &&)
- Powell dragons 93a 54mm x 34mm v4 shape
- Mystery bearings that I'm pretty sure are mini logos
- Mob grip

First impression is holy shit not only do they slide, they slide better than F4 on the ground in my skate room. If nothing else these are going to make fucking around in the basement both more fun for me and a quieter for my neighbors. Gonna take them to the streets when I head to work and see how they handle the crust.

roba

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #31796 on: August 19, 2022, 02:48:18 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I skated a G052, which is basically the same board scaled up to 8.25”, and I didn’t notice the tail/nose thing at all, but as I’ve mentioned here a few times I intensely disliked other aspects of the board and took it off very quickly.

This is more a personal matter, but I’ve still got it and now it’s not winter and I’m not unemployed doing the same tricks in the same spot feeling depressed all day, so I think I’ll probably give it another shot.

both g027 and g052 are 8.25s, i checked the craig shape guide and g052 is modeled after g027 but with a .125 longer nose, so that’s why they looked and felt so similar
I steal too

I’m rich and smart

R.I.P Tate

Ride it to dust

« Reply #31797 on: August 19, 2022, 04:53:50 AM »

Been a minute since I posted in here. Had to get the dragons as I'm like the confluence of all the things they're apparently good for (old guy, urban commuter in rust belt city, no tech tricks to fuck up, gear nerd, eternally uncool etc etc) and saw the wrestling decks were on clearance so I couldn't resist.

- Mob grip

First impression is holy shit not only do they slide, they slide better than F4 on the ground in my skate room. If nothing else these are going to make fucking around in the basement both more fun for me and a quieter for my neighbors. Gonna take them to the streets when I head to work and see how they handle the crust.

This one looks fun

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 843
« Reply #31798 on: August 19, 2022, 08:58:25 AM »
Expand Quote

- Mob grip

[close]

This one looks fun

So far so good

First impressions are that I kinda like the deck, the wheels I'm still getting used to. They're definitely faster and smoother on certain crust but on other spots I've been kinda underwhelmed by their ability to absorb the rattle but that's probably partially down to not being used to riding a round cut as well. 56mm v6 in this formula would likely float over the big cracks and gaps a lot better. They have a little bounce to them that makes landing feel way better. I could definitely see these extending a session the same way good insoles do. The slide is inconsistent but I'm hoping that'll improve when I wear the grooves off. Sometimes it slides better than an F4, sometimes it grabs and fights you like an easy street.

Deck I would absolutely love if the tail was just not so fucking steep. It has loads of pop, more than any r7 deck I've had in years. It really does feel spring loaded. Everything else is fine, but I'm definitely glad I went with a low truck. The tail still takes forever to hit the ground compared to my normal setups but its manageable.

Richard Skidder

• Rep: 468
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #31799 on: August 19, 2022, 10:56:26 AM »

- Mob grip

Those are Olympia Bearings, super good bearings from an East Coast company. They lasted me a long time. I think they’ll be great for commute man!