Author Topic: New Ace AF1 *Low* announced  (Read 40863 times)

intendedreceivers

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 204
Re: New Ace AF1 *Low* announced
« Reply #150 on: April 08, 2022, 07:47:25 PM »
Are the hangers interchangeable.

For example if I get the AF1 60 LOWS and do not like the reduced height can I pop those badboys on my current AF1 55 baseplate?

Something tells me to just buy standard 60s

I recall some of the early literature saying that the design allowed more truck combinations, so from that I would assume both the baseplate and hanger are different, and that they might be compatible with regular AF1 pieces.

I ordered some of these “low-widers,” so we’ll find out soon lol.

diplodocus

• Rep: 156
  • long neck
« Reply #151 on: April 08, 2022, 09:55:18 PM »
anyone else gonna rock these with risers or just me?

big_kev_215

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 746
« Reply #152 on: April 10, 2022, 10:17:24 AM »
Ordered a set.  Going to throw some 55 mm wheels on there and hope for the best

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1113
« Reply #153 on: April 10, 2022, 10:39:55 AM »

55s ok lows!? Rip

kneebone

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 355
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #154 on: April 10, 2022, 12:31:22 PM »
have these shown up in any shops in the US yet?

big_kev_215

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 746
« Reply #155 on: April 10, 2022, 12:57:09 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

55s ok lows!? Rip

Ive lived a good skate life

hobochimp

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 277
« Reply #156 on: April 10, 2022, 02:58:18 PM »
Curious to see what pros will/are riding the lows. I’ve never skated low trucks but these ace lows are really tempting for whatever reason

diplodocus

• long neck
« Reply #157 on: April 10, 2022, 07:02:50 PM »

Nope. Here's to hoping they arrive this week. Otherwise I think I'm gonna die.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #158 on: April 12, 2022, 09:00:05 AM »
Curious to see what pros will/are riding the lows. I’ve never skated low trucks but these ace lows are really tempting for whatever reason

Trahan is riding the lows and will have a video part coming out for them.

The feedback I have heard so far isn't great, which is that the top washer has serious issues digging into the hanger and binding the turn so they need a flat washer, and that wheelbite is a real problem.

kneebone

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 355
« Reply #159 on: April 12, 2022, 09:05:06 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Nope. Here's to hoping they arrive this week. Otherwise I think I'm gonna die.
same, really hoping they start to pop up this week, and then hopefully be able to get them with a 15% easter sale discount somewhere this weekend.  That's a lot of hoping though

Frank and Fred

« Reply #160 on: April 12, 2022, 09:22:19 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

The feedback I have heard so far isn't great, which is that the top washer has serious issues digging into the hanger and binding the turn so they need a flat washer, and that wheelbite is a real problem.

I've never been interested in Low trucks (I'll skate Thunder six I want a lower truck) but I have heard that some trucks were designed to purposely let the top washer catch the yolk (?) to stop the turn and prevent wheelbite. It might have been Indy Stage 10s.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #161 on: April 12, 2022, 10:31:12 AM »
I highly doubt that. When the washer binds it bends the washer and crushes the bushing. It would be a really shitty design.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #162 on: April 12, 2022, 10:34:32 AM »
It actually kind of worked on Stage 10s. But people missed the depth of turn and so Stage 11s had a more of a carved out yolk.

diplodocus

• long neck
« Reply #163 on: April 12, 2022, 01:58:26 PM »
my local got em in yesterday i and picked some up. kinda jarring how small the bottom bushing seems compared to the normal truck. I might have to take it apart to compare. i must say though the weight difference feels nice. haven’t skated them yet though.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1113
« Reply #164 on: April 12, 2022, 02:10:55 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I've never been interested in Low trucks (I'll skate Thunder six I want a lower truck) but I have heard that some trucks were designed to purposely let the top washer catch the yolk (?) to stop the turn and prevent wheelbite. It might have been Indy Stage 10s.

I’m not sure if it was designed intentionally that way, or if it was theorized after the fact, but I’ve totally heard that before. Ventures also bind hanger to top washer.

After skating some af-1 44s the other day, not sure if I’d say too much turn, but the thought of saying that crossed my mind. My thunder 149s turn quick, but oh so much less.

I like lows, because I skated them a lot and it’s comfortable, quick pop is nice, but I have yet to see a low that worked with 52-53mm, and up, wheels.

CaderSk8r

• Rep: 19
« Reply #165 on: April 12, 2022, 05:03:31 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Looked like he was skating then with risers in the new ace ad

mynameisnotjeff

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 585
« Reply #166 on: April 12, 2022, 06:45:47 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Can’t really complain about increased wheelbite on low trucks. You just gotta learn to live or make adjustments.

The bushing thing sounds annoying. Bought some of the older lows that I have on ice and can’t wait to bust out and compare.
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #167 on: April 12, 2022, 08:59:58 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

I’m not sure if it was designed intentionally that way, or if it was theorized after the fact, but I’ve totally heard that before. Ventures also bind hanger to top washer.

After skating some af-1 44s the other day, not sure if I’d say too much turn, but the thought of saying that crossed my mind. My thunder 149s turn quick, but oh so much less.

I like lows, because I skated them a lot and it’s comfortable, quick pop is nice, but I have yet to see a low that worked with 52-53mm, and up, wheels.

Ventures also crumble bushings and dent washers. One of the main reasons I always hesitate to go back to them is that I hate having to replace shit on my trucks and in a few months of skating Ventures both my top bushings blew/crumbled, washers bent, and the same shit happens to people I know that enjoy them but are much more patient. A better design principle is a blocker on the yoke like Lurpivs have. Or just using better geometry.

gaunting

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 187
« Reply #168 on: April 12, 2022, 10:53:56 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Ventures also crumble bushings and dent washers. One of the main reasons I always hesitate to go back to them is that I hate having to replace shit on my trucks and in a few months of skating Ventures both my top bushings blew/crumbled, washers bent, and the same shit happens to people I know that enjoy them but are much more patient. A better design principle is a blocker on the yoke like Lurpivs have. Or just using better geometry.

I will say, ventures definitely are the worst, as far as the washer digging into the hanger is concerned. but from having three different setups at the same time, all with different trucks (venture,Indy and thunder)I’ve found they all have that problem. venture being the worst about it, Indy being the best.
This has me cracking up, what exactly does Black Flag have to do with measuring your dick starting behind ya nuts?

Skateboarding is nothing but a game to find the right fits to appear like you're a proportional human being instead of a midget or a giant.

bryan

• Rep: 26
« Reply #169 on: April 13, 2022, 02:27:42 PM »
Inspired by a slider in another post comparing ace/venture, here's the af1 low vs regular using Ace's product pics (adjusted for scale). It'll be interesting to see a real life comparison. If the product pics are accurate, it looks like the wheelbase will be stretched by about +6mm/.24".

https://www.instarestoration.com/slider/view/3381990e-cb0e-4f4e-9338-8d465cefe330

I'm really interested to see how the wheelbite on these will be with 50-52mm wheels, if thunder 147 wheelbite is of any indication. Maybe this is why thunders are 3-4mm taller for the bigger sizes.

EDIT: Looks like the online images used are either different perspective or prototypes because it has been reported there is no wheelbase offset difference between hi/low.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2022, 05:58:54 PM by bryan »

intendedreceivers

« Reply #170 on: April 14, 2022, 07:41:17 AM »
Picked up my 60 Lows and set them up on the orange Classic Eagle w/ 53mm 97A F4 Classics and Big Balls. Since the whole setup is a bit large for anything more than fun at my size, I decided to go for a lazy, surfy parking lot/manny pad board.

Anyway, the trucks. Baseplate has LOW cast into the bottom, so it is different (still have to check compatibility with the regular AF1 hanger). I only took it out for a sidewalk lap last night, but they’re very surfy; you definitely don’t lose the Ace feel with the altered height.

No wheelbite marks yet (on 53s), which was surprising, but I have 50mm F4 Classics in the toolbox if it becomes a problem. I also might experiment with the taller top bushing (from regular-height Aces) to get a little more resistance at the deep end of the turn.

I’ll try to add some wheelbase measurements tonight, but so far they seem good. Almost didn’t feel like low trucks because they have so much more turn when they’re this wide.

EDIT:
Mounting holes (deck): 15 in.
Avg. wheelbase (axles): right around 17.8 in.

So AF1 Low looks to be + 2.8 in. on the wheelbase. Pretty close to the standard-height model.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2022, 09:03:25 AM by intendedreceivers »

Diamond_Dallas_Pudge

• Rep: -46
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #171 on: April 14, 2022, 12:04:24 PM »
Picked up my 60 Lows and set them up on the orange Classic Eagle w/ 53mm 97A F4 Classics and Big Balls. Since the whole setup is a bit large for anything more than fun at my size, I decided to go for a lazy, surfy parking lot/manny pad board.

Anyway, the trucks. Baseplate has LOW cast into the bottom, so it is different (still have to check compatibility with the regular AF1 hanger). I only took it out for a sidewalk lap last night, but they’re very surfy; you definitely don’t lose the Ace feel with the altered height.

No wheelbite marks yet (on 53s), which was surprising, but I have 50mm F4 Classics in the toolbox if it becomes a problem. I also might experiment with the taller top bushing (from regular-height Aces) to get a little more resistance at the deep end of the turn.

I’ll try to add some wheelbase measurements tonight, but so far they seem good. Almost didn’t feel like low trucks because they have so much more turn when they’re this wide.

EDIT:

So AF1 Low looks to be + 2.8 in. on the wheelbase. Pretty close to the standard-height model.

Are the hangers smaller in height or same size as stock AF1?

TheLowerBack

• Rep: 171
  • GTU/FWD
« Reply #172 on: April 14, 2022, 12:10:28 PM »
Expand Quote

EDIT:

[close]

Also curious about this.

intendedreceivers

« Reply #173 on: April 14, 2022, 04:36:36 PM »
Expand Quote

EDIT:

[close]

It looks like the hangers are the same size. They seem to fit well on the other baseplate, too. There aren’t any Low-specific markings on the hanger, so that would seem plausible.

If the hangers are indeed compatible, the logical next step is frankensteining a 77 Low. I imagine it’s like skating a furniture dolly.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2022, 04:46:22 PM by intendedreceivers »

Diamond_Dallas_Pudge

• Rep: -46
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #174 on: April 14, 2022, 06:08:40 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

EDIT:

[close]

[close]

It looks like the hangers are the same size. They seem to fit well on the other baseplate, too. There aren’t any Low-specific markings on the hanger, so that would seem plausible.

If the hangers are indeed compatible, the logical next step is frankensteining a 77 Low. I imagine it’s like skating a furniture dolly.

Awesome if that's the case is grab some 60 LOWS and if I don't like them I'll just swap hangers onto standard af1 baseplates

Frank and Fred

« Reply #175 on: April 14, 2022, 06:40:33 PM »
Ace already hinted that the Af! lows and regulars would have  interchangeable hangers/ baseplates, so you can frankenstein your perfect truck.

eSK3

« Reply #176 on: April 15, 2022, 10:42:46 PM »
Skated my lows for a few hours yesterday. Coming from two years on Indy Hollows they feel so good. Riding them on worn down 51mm F4’s and stock kingpin threads and I get no wheel bite whatsoever. My only negative observation so far is the baseplate seems to wear down rather quickly(slappy noseslide action)compared to Indy but grinds smoother for sure.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 858
« Reply #177 on: April 15, 2022, 10:55:48 PM »
Skated my lows for a few hours yesterday. Coming from two years on Indy Hollows they feel so good. Riding them on worn down 51mm F4’s and stock kingpin threads and I get no wheel bite whatsoever. My only negative observation so far is the baseplate seems to wear down rather quickly(slappy noseslide action)compared to Indy but grinds smoother for sure.
(Annoying) questions: what width? What kind of skating?

eSK3

« Reply #178 on: April 15, 2022, 11:04:30 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I bought the 33’s. Street skating bruv

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 858
« Reply #179 on: April 15, 2022, 11:28:19 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

I bought the 33’s. Street skating bruv
Ok one more (probably most annoying soz): are you like a manual guy or a pinch/press guy?
I've come to accept I'm just a manual guy. Even with ledge tricks I'll basically be manualing along the edge. I've found basically only Indy works for me. Venture and thunder are more for fully press style and the one ace I tried I'd always get wheelbite trying actual manual stuff. I really like the idea of ace but don't want the board completely wonked over while doing something. (This is probably a very personal thing and nobody would even understand what I'm talking about so extra soz lol)