Author Topic: questions that don't deserve their own thread  (Read 211016 times)

billyerlife

Re: questions that don't deserve their own thread
« Reply #1770 on: September 27, 2022, 04:34:54 PM »
I know that this has been asked several times but still: any euro pal had traveled intra EU with the board on your carry on?
Did you had any issues?

I have had mixed luck. A couple time, the people at ticketing let me go, then I get to security and they tell me to go check it. From then on I have just checked it to avoid the hassle. You usually get one free checked bag anyway, so if I'm only bringing a backpack the board is it, they'll put it in a big plastic bag, otherwise I chuck it into the duffle with whatever else.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1033
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1771 on: September 27, 2022, 06:47:20 PM »
Are the Baker B2 "steep" decks actually steep since their normal decks are hella mellow? What other brands or shapes would you liken them to?

I got one of the B2 8.38 (8.375) on a whim when I saw one was on clearance.

I feel like it is a bit of a let down, but maybe because it is closer to 8.25 than my usual 8.38 boards, with 14.38 wb (not 14.5 as listed) and is longer when compared to other 32.25 listed boards.

As for the concave and shape, it is closer to BBS wood Alien Workshop than anything else with longer blunt kicks, but also similar to a Real Full SE shape I or II stamped boards.  Not overly steep, definitely way less than a couple of FA boards I have, but overall is definitely more square and steeper than the other BBS 8.38 boards that I usually ride.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1940
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #1772 on: September 27, 2022, 07:09:19 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Does anyone know, why almost every vert skater uses independent trucks? I suppose most of them ride tight trucks, so turning might not be the answer?
[close]

Because Indy is/was the only one caring to sponsor vert skaters
[close]

Didnt fury have like rune or Bob burnquist and the Birdman or some shit
[close]

All of the above I think.

Lots of vert guys ride pools too and Indys def grind the best on curbs/pool coping imo. Not trying to start a truck war in here, I recognize the pros/cons of all trucks. That is my shoes and gear section disclaimer.
[close]
Another reason could possibly be Indy always made wide trucks where other brands from the mid 90s until about 2010 didn't make anything over an 8 (often only making a 7.5 and a 7.75). Not so much vert but guys like drehoble, Speyer, Cardiel all rode ventures but swapped over to Indy.

Fury def had pretty much every big vert skater and was maybe sort of Lance's thing but I never saw any wide pairs until the brand was basically already dead. They also had pretty much every big name street skater too if it means anything.  Kinda the truck version of ricta

I think Arto was on for a bit too in the mid 2000s
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

mamba

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 150
  • Sucka free
« Reply #1773 on: September 27, 2022, 09:13:07 PM »
Anyone who skated the non skate cons…how the fuck do you get the fuzz off the bottom of the shoes??? I’m slipping all over the place it’s awful. concrete park was like ice skating

eviltgirl

• Rep: 31
« Reply #1774 on: September 28, 2022, 09:09:44 AM »
Do you guys think putting 159s with conical fulls on a 8.38 would be pushing it?  Its pretty chill on an 8.5 right now but I don't wanna make something totally wack

BartHarleyJarvis

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1130
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #1775 on: September 28, 2022, 09:20:08 AM »
Do you guys think putting 159s with conical fulls on a 8.38 would be pushing it?  Its pretty chill on an 8.5 right now but I don't wanna make something totally wack

Might be a bit monster truck but go for it. If you're comfortable with it on an 8.5" the 3mm difference shouldn't be too big of a deal.

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 478
« Reply #1776 on: September 28, 2022, 09:24:08 AM »
who's responsible for the recent wave of cutesy shoe ads? not hating, but i see that trend, you can't hide from me.

Care to share an example?  Not sure I've seen any lately or know what you mean
Super Champion Fun Zone

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1777 on: September 28, 2022, 09:33:33 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Might be a bit monster truck but go for it. If you're comfortable with it on an 8.5" the 3mm difference shouldn't be too big of a deal.

I know a dude that gets pretty tech and was on an 8.5 with 169s and 56s

Esmith5488

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 401
« Reply #1778 on: September 28, 2022, 01:27:48 PM »
Anyone have any experience with sizing on the puig indoor? Only other adidas shoe I’ve skated was the suicu and they were true to size ish

iw0

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 504
« Reply #1779 on: September 28, 2022, 01:30:34 PM »
Expand Quote
who's responsible for the recent wave of cutesy shoe ads? not hating, but i see that trend, you can't hide from me.
[close]

Care to share an example?  Not sure I've seen any lately or know what you mean

of course, i had a third but i'm all work brained right now so i forgot, but i swear there was a third lighthearted shoe ad posted recently other than the nike and nb

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 41
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1780 on: September 29, 2022, 12:14:56 AM »
Anybody tried those brsb?
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1076
« Reply #1781 on: September 29, 2022, 06:06:42 AM »
Who has rails similar to Pig?

I've purchased powell ribs and some non brand rails in the past, but they've all been thicker than pig. Pig seems perfect but I just want to spread the money around to some other brands.

BALARGUE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 626
    • Balargue Skateshop avatar image
« Reply #1782 on: September 29, 2022, 07:00:14 AM »
Enjoi rails are great (shape, bolts quality) but slightly thicker

Not an answer to your request because they are thicker (3M antivibration foam with tape)  but  most people around here consider the Film rails to be the best

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #1783 on: September 29, 2022, 07:55:34 AM »
Enjoi rails are great (shape, bolts quality) but slightly thicker

Not an answer to your request because they are thicker (3M antivibration foam with tape)  but  most people around here consider the Film rails to be the best

They’re mad long though. I haven’t dared to set up mine on any deck yet cuz I’m dreading railbite. Maybe with a 15” (or 14.75”) wheelbase they could be doable.

I’m skating Aces with risers so, the wheelbite mark are pushed in a lot more than in forged Venture lows.

yourbreakfsat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 762
« Reply #1784 on: September 29, 2022, 11:08:46 AM »
Who has rails similar to Pig?

I've purchased powell ribs and some non brand rails in the past, but they've all been thicker than pig. Pig seems perfect but I just want to spread the money around to some other brands.

Been a while since I've skated Pig rails, but they're pretty short compared to Rib Bones, right? Cause if so, Dogtown rails would be your best bet as a Pig rail alternative.

FGO925

• Rep: 20
« Reply #1785 on: September 29, 2022, 11:45:06 AM »
Anyone have any experience with sizing on the puig indoor? Only other adidas shoe I’ve skated was the suicu and they were true to size ish

I’d love to know as well. The first adidas puig shoes were some of the best I’ve ever skated. IMO the most recent ones look garbage and have that douchey heel design. But the newest indoor version look more simple and all around amazing. Got my eye on the cream/leather and the grey as well

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1786 on: September 29, 2022, 01:36:57 PM »
I'd steer clear, from talking to people that have skated them and looking at Wear Tested's 10hr review they are not made to last. 10hrs of skating for a lot of people is 3-5 sessions. One person I know that gets them for free ends up using them for 7-10 total sessions before they're toast and they're often busting seams after sesh 2-3.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1787 on: September 29, 2022, 01:38:13 PM »
I have a new set of Spitfire 52mm Classic Fulls. 1 wheel seems to have a bearing seat that is too big and the bearing will not press all the way in. I thought of using some kind of degreaser like WD40 to ease it in and not get residue or maybe 95% isopropyl so it dries.

Any recs? Should I lightly sand it to remove some of the excess urethane?

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 41
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #1788 on: September 30, 2022, 01:45:40 AM »
Expand Quote
I know that this has been asked several times but still: any euro pal had traveled intra EU with the board on your carry on?
Did you had any issues?
[close]

Pre-Brexit I flew roundtrip Manchester to Toulouse with a board, no problems there. It was on Thomas Crowne though which is a budget airline that no longer exists
Thx man
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

PisstickleTypeExperience

• Rep: -1
« Reply #1789 on: September 30, 2022, 06:59:17 AM »
Anyone know who makes Welcome's grip tape? Anyone used it before?

Richard Skidder

• Rep: 470
« Reply #1790 on: September 30, 2022, 10:33:39 AM »
I have a new set of Spitfire 52mm Classic Fulls. 1 wheel seems to have a bearing seat that is too big and the bearing will not press all the way in. I thought of using some kind of degreaser like WD40 to ease it in and not get residue or maybe 95% isopropyl so it dries.

Probably better off just using a cue tip with some sort of oil than sanding. I’ve done a single drop of speed cream on a cue tip and had it work sufficiently without picking up extra dirt when riding.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1791 on: September 30, 2022, 02:58:42 PM »

Any chance of returning to store for warranty?

Sounds exactly like the sort of issues that have been causing people problems with the occasional Spitfire wheel mold not working out to be true.

At least that before going to town on a fix might get you a new and fully working set of wheels.

intendedreceivers

• Rep: 204
« Reply #1792 on: September 30, 2022, 04:12:58 PM »

True to size. I will warn, however, that the Indoor are quite different than the cupsole version. The counter is pretty loose and slippy around the heel, the whole shoe feels very thin and flexible, and there’s not much rubber around the front, so they don’t look like they’ll last very long. I ride my cruiser to work in them and I wear them to hang out, but I don’t skate much in them.

Really, they’re like the opposite of the cupsole Puigs, which are stiff and solid, have a great heel, and feel very supportive compared to the Indoors.

intendedreceivers

• Rep: 204
« Reply #1793 on: September 30, 2022, 04:11:59 PM »

True to size. I will warn, however, that the Indoor are quite different than the cupsole version. The counter is pretty loose and slippy around the heel, the whole shoe feels very thin and flexible, and there’s not much rubber around the front, so they don’t look like they’ll last very long. I ride my cruiser to work in them and I wear them to hang out, but I don’t skate much in them.

Really, they’re like the opposite of the cupsole Puigs, which are stiff and solid, have a great heel, and feel very supportive compared to the Indoors.

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 963
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #1794 on: September 30, 2022, 10:29:26 PM »
Expand Quote
Anyone have a specific grip knife or razor they like for grip tape?
[close]

i have a paring knife i got from goodwill ages ago that i really like using. it has a fat enough handle to sit in my hand comfortably and i just sharpen it every so often. not the most portable since i don't have a sheath or anything for it, and if i'm out i just have a razor(s) on me anyway.

tl;dr- i like paring knives personally

I use this orange screwdriver. Been using it since 2013. It's got a little crook groove.
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

Justinshreds

• Rep: 4
« Reply #1795 on: October 02, 2022, 06:42:11 PM »
Is there a way to tell which primitive decks are BBS wood? I always thought just buy "original" graphics and stay away from colab boards, but my buddy just got a Prod deck (white face with gold skull graphic) and it wasnt BBS. The sticker said made in USA.

Also, I just skated a Primitive 8.38 BBS board and loved the shape. Does anyone know if that size and shape is used by other BBS brands?

Slugboi22

• Rep: 69
« Reply #1796 on: October 02, 2022, 11:24:03 PM »
Anyone have any good luck with the regular height ace hollows? Wanna get some as my AF1 55s are almost toast but a little concerned about QC stuff. Right now it’s between Ace hollows and Indy Hollows as i’m too chicken to go for ventures (which look so cool). Any advice/insight is appreciated

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1797 on: October 03, 2022, 12:06:54 AM »
Is there a way to tell which primitive decks are BBS wood? I always thought just buy "original" graphics and stay away from colab boards, but my buddy just got a Prod deck (white face with gold skull graphic) and it wasnt BBS. The sticker said made in USA.

Also, I just skated a Primitive 8.38 BBS board and loved the shape. Does anyone know if that size and shape is used by other BBS brands?

Primitive uses a few woodshops, from the woodshop thread:
https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=120409.0
Primitive* (Euro 2020+)   ……….   ……….   China (unknown)
Primitive* (US 2021)   ……….   ……….   USA (unknown) / Pennswood
Primitive* (US 2022)   ……….   ……….   BBS

If it says made in USA it's likely BBS, but actually Mexico. I've seen team logo decks with the Made in USA / Mexico sticker, some with a Made in China sticker, so your best bet is to check it out in store.

Shape wise Primitive has unique dimensions for their 8.25 and 8.38:

Haven't had luck finding dimensions on an 8.25, but some generic Generator mold decks (Sci-Fi, Black Label) are 31.8" x 14.125. Real did 1 season of the Tropical Dream Oval which are as close as you can get to the Primitive 8.25 shape.

Not seen a 8.38 with similar dimensions in the wild either,
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1798 on: October 03, 2022, 02:35:27 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

If it says made in USA it's likely BBS, but actually Mexico. I've seen team logo decks with the Made in USA / Mexico sticker, some with a Made in China sticker, so your best bet is to check it out in store.

Haven't had luck finding dimensions on an 8.25, but some generic Generator mold decks (Sci-Fi, Black Label) are 31.8" x 14.125. Real did 1 season of the Tropical Dream Oval which are as close as you can get to the Primitive 8.25 shape.

I haven't heard many more USA boards so that might have been a once off thing.

Someone who got one said they were certainly different to BBS / Made in Mexico marked boards.

Yeah the others Made in China are different concave and ever so slightly different dimensions, but more of a Dwindle like concave.

As to that shape, I think April has one similar but I haven't checked to see if they were still around, but April did have similar length, shorter wheelbases with longer kicks.

Alien Workshop / Habitat and now Metal Skateboards also have the fairly long boards, short wheelbases with long kicks, but they are different shapes, way more stubby / blunt kicks.

Just a couple of extra things, from what I recall from people talking about that shape, but I can look up a bit more info if needed too.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1799 on: October 03, 2022, 03:07:36 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I haven't heard many more USA boards so that might have been a once off thing.

Someone who got one said they were certainly different to BBS / Made in Mexico marked boards.

Yeah the others Made in China are different concave and ever so slightly different dimensions, but more of a Dwindle like concave.

As to that shape, I think April has one similar but I haven't checked to see if they were still around, but April did have similar length, shorter wheelbases with longer kicks.

Alien Workshop / Habitat and now Metal Skateboards also have the fairly long boards, short wheelbases with long kicks, but they are different shapes, way more stubby / blunt kicks.

Just a couple of extra things, from what I recall from people talking about that shape, but I can look up a bit more info if needed too.

From the April website:

31.91" x 8"
Nose - 6.91"
Tail - 6.55"
Wheelbase - 14.18

31.77" x 8.19"
Nose - 7"
Tail - 6.56"
Wheelbase - 14"

31.92" x 8.26"
Nose - 6.88"
Tail - 6.81"
Wheelbase - 14"

31.12"  x 8.38"
Nose - 6.857"
Tail - 6.617"
Wheelbase - 14.395"

32.2" x 8.5"
Nose - 7.0"
Tail - 6.5"
Wheelbase - 14.4"

You're right on the April 8.25, dimensions are similar to Primitive but I recall April being very mellow and flat. The 8.38 shape is weird, reminds me of Palace decks.

For AWS / Habitat I like that their 8.25 / 8.38 / 8.5 are all the same length and wheelbase (32.25 / 14.25) just narrower or wider, but the length can be daunting.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m