Author Topic: Mike Carroll on the future of Crailtap  (Read 401281 times)

givecigstosurfgroms

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -958
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
Re: Mike Carroll on the future of Crailtap
« Reply #570 on: May 18, 2016, 03:24:28 PM »
So what I'm taking from this is that Brink knows more about this than we do, inferred so in his original post about mj and daewon, and then came on here and back pedaled. 
"I just care about the river, I dont care about your back"

brwrxstl

• Rep: -71
    • Tumblr avatar image
« Reply #571 on: May 18, 2016, 03:27:35 PM »
i see lots of talk lumping adidas into nike/cons/NB/etc saying that they swooped in and bought up all the best riders, y'all realize that adidas has been in it since the late 90's, initially supporting gonz, matt beach, lance mountain, etc? they've earned there spot based on that alone, in my opinion. no huge marketing campaign, just low key supporting dope dudes. i mean yeah, the shoes were shit back then, but it's not like they came in for a cash grab and dipped. they've been in it almost as long as lakai has. i still would rather support lakai, and do, but people are getting it twisted.

💯

Winking Starfish

• Rep: 5
  • Big White Butt Crew Down To Clown
« Reply #572 on: May 18, 2016, 03:28:36 PM »
Something I haven't seen said yet, maybe I missed it, is that mj  was obviously still under contract with Lakai and Carroll was being a good dude and letting him out of it so he could go get more money. All he asked was that he be able to get the already made product out and not have his other employees blindsided and their work in designing and promoting Marc flushed down the shitter as a blindside in front of their faces. So shame on mj for allowing that to happen and fucking over someone who was trying to do right by him.

this

sharkbarf

• Rep: 2
« Reply #573 on: May 18, 2016, 03:29:01 PM »
Expand Quote
Has MJ spoke on this at all yet? This thread is way too hard to follow.
[close]

probs too shitfaced. 

defs

Deucifer

• Rep: 10
« Reply #574 on: May 18, 2016, 03:29:26 PM »
So what I'm taking from this is that Brink knows more about this than we do, inferred so in his original post about mj and daewon, and then came on here and back pedaled.�

Brink only ever says he knows more than we do.
I have two words for you: greg lutza's fedora

swag nollies

« Reply #575 on: May 18, 2016, 03:36:57 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Brink, I tend to always agree with you on most issues, but I think it's a cop out to say you're not for or against Nike/Adidas. I don't think you can be nuetral on the issue. For someone like Lakai to put time, effort and money into getting someone like Karsten on, have them film a killer video part and then Nike just swoops in and offers them a lot more money than Lakai can match is the worst. How can you not think that mentality as a whole is ok for the skateboarding world? Sure you can blame it on capitalism or whatever, but I know you're a skate rat too and I think the whole MJ topic has been one more dagger in the heart for people who grew up in a preNike world and see what it's become. And to compare Vans to Nike is nowhere near the same. As you said, it's not as important to me how they started, but how they are responding to the skate world at the moment, and Nike is a coming in like a fucking storm trying to dominate the industry. Shit sucks.
[close]

Welcome to real life, shit like this has been happening before nike and adidas came on the scene. Aside from any personal beef, lakai has been stale for years. They're keeping a formula that worked 5 years ago and not keeping up with what the consumer wants. What is lakai's image? They make skate shoes? They're for normal people? Thats not gonna fly in 2016. People are eating up nike and adidas because they make a good product and keep improving theyre product and image, thats why there successful, there keeping up with the market. Not because their goal is to dominate skateboarding.
[close]

If you think Nike is popular because of the quality of their product and their image and not unlimited capitol, you're delusional. And I disagree with you about Lakai. I think they've added some of their most unique riders in the last several years.
[close]

people are often oblivious to the marketing angle...

tons of money goes into making a brand just come across as relatable... i wouldn't be surprised if someone told me that Nike's marketing budget, alone, overshadows Lakai's net worth.

the deeper a company's pockets, the better they can create, hone and communicate that message from nothing in order to manipulate their target market's perception of their brand.

I wouldn't be surprised either. But even if you have unlimited money to throw at marketing, you still have to market a good idea for it to be successful. It doesn't cost money to come up with good ideas and strategies. I think the first person on nike was Prod if im not mistaken, right before his prime, that was a good choice to portray how nike would be accepted. By kids who would have worn nike but didnt think they could because other skateboarders would make fun of you, then it blew up from there. Adidas on the other hand took a more underground and skate based approach, which is why most people like adidas, even if they hate nike. Bottom line, ideas dont cost money.

BMCsteve

« Reply #576 on: May 18, 2016, 03:42:22 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Brink, I tend to always agree with you on most issues, but I think it's a cop out to say you're not for or against Nike/Adidas. I don't think you can be nuetral on the issue. For someone like Lakai to put time, effort and money into getting someone like Karsten on, have them film a killer video part and then Nike just swoops in and offers them a lot more money than Lakai can match is the worst. How can you not think that mentality as a whole is ok for the skateboarding world? Sure you can blame it on capitalism or whatever, but I know you're a skate rat too and I think the whole MJ topic has been one more dagger in the heart for people who grew up in a preNike world and see what it's become. And to compare Vans to Nike is nowhere near the same. As you said, it's not as important to me how they started, but how they are responding to the skate world at the moment, and Nike is a coming in like a fucking storm trying to dominate the industry. Shit sucks.
[close]

Welcome to real life, shit like this has been happening before nike and adidas came on the scene. Aside from any personal beef, lakai has been stale for years. They're keeping a formula that worked 5 years ago and not keeping up with what the consumer wants. What is lakai's image? They make skate shoes? They're for normal people? Thats not gonna fly in 2016. People are eating up nike and adidas because they make a good product and keep improving theyre product and image, thats why there successful, there keeping up with the market. Not because their goal is to dominate skateboarding.
[close]

If you think Nike is popular because of the quality of their product and their image and not unlimited capitol, you're delusional. And I disagree with you about Lakai. I think they've added some of their most unique riders in the last several years.
[close]

tons of money goes into making a brand just come across as relatable... i wouldn't be surprised if someone told me that Nike's marketing budget, alone, overshadows Lakai's net worth.

the deeper a company's pockets, the better they can create, hone and communicate that message from nothing in order to manipulate their target market's perception of their brand.

[close]

I wouldn't be surprised either. But even if you have unlimited money to throw at marketing, you still have to market a good idea for it to be successful. It doesn't cost money to come up with good ideas and strategies. I think the first person on nike was Prod if im not mistaken, right before his prime, that was a good choice to portray how nike would be accepted. By kids who would have worn nike but didnt think they could because other skateboarders would make fun of you, then it blew up from there. Adidas on the other hand took a more underground and skate based approach, which is why most people like adidas, even if they hate nike. Bottom line, ideas dont cost money.

Nike's 2015 marketing budget was $2.4 Billion.  So yes, a few dollars more than Lakai is worth

foureyedjim

« Reply #577 on: May 18, 2016, 03:42:31 PM »
Expand Quote
So what I'm taking from this is that Brink knows more about this than we do, inferred so in his original post about mj and daewon, and then came on here and back pedaled.�
[close]

haha didn't he do the same shit with the Chase screwdriver incident?  

Alexactly

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 263
  • RIP
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #578 on: May 18, 2016, 03:46:46 PM »
Expand Quote
For all the double crossing and lies about the announcement, I was rather disappointed in the delivery in the video. I could understand if the little section introducing Daewon and Marc led to a shared part, but one or two tricks each? Completely unnecessary, could have lived without that long drawn out and disappointing section altogether.
[close]

It was an introduction to the team, not a showcase of their skating...

Which exactly what makes the section so pointless. Why put news in the middle of your video? The section will have zero value after a few weeks. And MJ did all of this just to appear in a part of the video that will only be skipped on repeat views? Good lord.

left knee cap

• Rep: 117
  • $$$$
« Reply #579 on: May 18, 2016, 03:59:26 PM »
Expand Quote
i'm not worried, i think guy, koston, mj, and carroll will all get back together the time avengers 3 comes around
[close]

Captain Carroll: Civil War

Team Carroll or Team Johnson

It's like Adidas showed footage of Marc killing MC's parents or some shit..

Level 60 Dwarf Paladin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -83
« Reply #580 on: May 18, 2016, 04:02:56 PM »
I like what Gary said on skateline about legacy.
you never know about pre-cum 

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 390
« Reply #581 on: May 18, 2016, 04:04:31 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

1.) Numerous companies and studies have proven that marketing/branding can and will override ideas/products.

2.) Good ideas and strategies often do cost a lot of money.  That's why there are consulting firms worth so much.  Even if you don't spend money on new ideas/strategies, executing them effectively, developing and testing new technology, and a myriad of other things do cost money.  And the more money you have, the better you are able to do all of those things, which often then means you'll get much more in return.

3.) PRod was definitely NOT the first person on Nike.  They had an established team well before they signed him.  And all of those guys were underground and respected skaters.  Gip has talked about how this plan and strategy was super deliberate to allow them to get into skating and get respected before launching a big campaign.  If anything, signing PRod was their first "power move."  And they actually signed him like right at the start of his prime: he had just released his Yeah, Right! part, was the talk of skating, was about to get a pro model on eS, so him signing to Nike was a big deal.  Partly because he stood out as their first non-underground signing.

LesbianPUNCH

• Rep: 25
« Reply #582 on: May 18, 2016, 04:11:19 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
For all the double crossing and lies about the announcement, I was rather disappointed in the delivery in the video. I could understand if the little section introducing Daewon and Marc led to a shared part, but one or two tricks each? Completely unnecessary, could have lived without that long drawn out and disappointing section altogether.
[close]

[close]

Which exactly what makes the section so pointless. Why put news in the middle of your video? The section will have zero value after a few weeks. And MJ did all of this just to appear in a part of the video that will only be skipped on repeat views? Good lord.

Yes, thank you.  I guess the section serves as a sort of bookmark in time, where every time we see it we're reminded of hipocrysy and betrayal. Good work Adidas!

swag nollies

« Reply #583 on: May 18, 2016, 04:22:19 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Glad we're on the same page. Y'all are crazy. We are talking about candles and my sexuality in a Carroll/MJ thread of the century. I'm outta this one but ya'll know how to get in touch with me one on one if you like ... 👍🏻
[close]

Yooo

Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Haha ... The gay stuff ... It never ends.

Even though you skirted away from the shemale question with finesse, I respect you saying you would rather suck a big cock. It takes a man to say that. Respect Brink. Respect.

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -936
  • I own Malibu? I am going to fuck you.
« Reply #584 on: May 18, 2016, 04:25:13 PM »
I just want to know what you mean by essentially saying OG companies are going out of business because they aren't any good suddenly.
So Alien Workshop, Zero, and Girl have suddenly become poorly managed? You don't have to tell stories or take sides, but that seems like a ridiculous oversimplification of the current skateboard market.
Respect on the Nike decisions though...
Are you a kook? If you would say this, the answer is “YES”
I quit skating for a time due to piling out

Deucifer

• Rep: 10
« Reply #585 on: May 18, 2016, 04:26:05 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

haha didn't he do the same shit with the Chase screwdriver incident? �
[close]

No backpedaling ... At least I don't think so. And I may or may not know more than some people here. Not the point. It's just not my place to tell other people's stories. That's just respect. No one owes anyone any information. I like to come here and try and offer some insight and have a laugh or even defend myself when I can. But I can't speak of other people's business or things I don't know are fact or know firsthand. And that's basically what I have spoken up about regarding this whole issue. For the record. I had opportunities to go interview for Nike. Never did. Had an adidas interview a few years back, didn't get the job. Ran a skate shop in NJ for 7 years and never carried Nike Dunks or adidas or anything. I just like skateboarding. Regardless of who people ride for. You want me to talk a bunch of trash or something? Just not my thing these days. I've been quite public about some horrible experiences at Sole Tech and DC way back that opened my eyes to lots of grossness, core or not. Now that it's behind me I'm tired of hating skateboarding so I opted to try to just be more positive a few years ago instead of critical. And maybe try to change some percecptions along the way based on what I know. You dont have to agree or believe me. I just want to enjoy it these days, do my show, write a little ... And not working for any skate brands has been awesome actually. I fully get where some of you are at. Man if the Slap boards and social media existed when I was in my gossip hayday I woulda been all over it. These days I'm just old and want to enjoy the fortunate position I'm in.

All I ever really see from you is "you don't know the whole story." Which implies that you do know the whole story. Doing so gets you a whole lot of attention when in reality you haven't given anything. People assume you know whats going on because of your industry connections. But my guess is you just like to stoke the fire while stroking your ego and not really knowing whats going on.

But hey, that's just my two cents.
I have two words for you: greg lutza's fedora

unerds

• Rep: -3
« Reply #586 on: May 18, 2016, 04:28:20 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

1.) Numerous companies and studies have proven that marketing/branding can and will override ideas/products.

2.) Good ideas and strategies often do cost a lot of money.  That's why there are consulting firms worth so much.  Even if you don't spend money on new ideas/strategies, executing them effectively, developing and testing new technology, and a myriad of other things do cost money.  And the more money you have, the better you are able to do all of those things, which often then means you'll get much more in return.

3.) PRod was definitely NOT the first person on Nike.  They had an established team well before they signed him.  And all of those guys were underground and respected skaters.  Gip has talked about how this plan and strategy was super deliberate to allow them to get into skating and get respected before launching a big campaign.  If anything, signing PRod was their first "power move."  And they actually signed him like right at the start of his prime: he had just released his Yeah, Right! part, was the talk of skating, was about to get a pro model on eS, so him signing to Nike was a big deal.  Partly because he stood out as their first non-underground signing.

this is exactly it.

underestimating, or flippantly ignoring the marketing angle is stupid as fuck.

it's a huge factor, a huge expense, because it works.

nikesb's marketing team has been analyzing skateboarders since their first failed attempt to penetrate this market, with nothing more than the objective of making you all feel like it's finally okay to rep their products.

adidas is in the same boat in that they also employ an army of strategists with the very same objective.

essentially, built into the overhead of that shoe, beyond shareholder profit margins, are salaries of people who do nothing but scheme on ways of manipulating your perceptions, and also scheme on other brands that don't mesh with the vibe that THEY want skateboarding to become.

i get it. they make a nice shoe.  sure.  but if you're really sold on the idea that their shoes are far superior to other brands [brands that don't fuck around like this] you've been wilfully drinking their ejaculate, and you've convinced yourself that it's actually a freshly pulled pint.

FUSE

• Rep: -20
    • Beats avatar image
« Reply #587 on: May 18, 2016, 04:32:07 PM »
Two of the three workplaces I quit with no notice have hired me back, so you can lightly toast a bridge.  This is more like a fully burnt bridge, kind of like MJ took a dump on the floor on the way out.  Pretty rad.  Still backing Carroll until I hear the whole story.

Greg

• Rep: -43
  • CRUSTY PALMS
    • // 1017 GLO GANG // FREE MAX B // FREE GUCCI // STREET MONEY // BLACKLAND // HOTHEADS // FUCKOUTTAHERE // avatar image
« Reply #588 on: May 18, 2016, 04:33:31 PM »
its curtains for crailtap, thats it. wish it didn't go down like this
| FUCK JAMIE THOMAS | IT'S CURTAINS |

spaghetti

• Rep: 4
« Reply #589 on: May 18, 2016, 04:37:08 PM »
The Skateboard Mag posted a response from both of them yesterday.

"You know what? Don't make a judgment until you really understand the facts about why somebody would leave a company they were with for fifteen-twenty years," Marc says. "Maybe do a little digging. 'Cause it's a good thing."

"Daewon offers some clarity for those averse to digging, an illustration to help keep the haters in check: "People don't know what was happening internally� It's like being in a relationship with a girl. 'Oh, I see her all the time. She's so nice, she's so sweet.' Yeah, but you don't know the real her."

Marc agrees, "Yup."

Daewon: "When you wind up breaking up, they think you're crazy. They're getting the exterior of her, they're not getting what's really inside."
The girlfriend-from-hell analogy rings true for Marc, and he gets a little more specific. "At some point the bullshit wears thin. You've got ideas, and when you outrun the company and you've got all these ideas and the company can't keep up? It's ridiculous," Marc says. "You just talk to somebody who's willing to do these projects, [someone] who is progressive.""
« Last Edit: May 18, 2016, 04:38:39 PM by spaghetti »

Alexactly

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 263
  • RIP
« Reply #590 on: May 18, 2016, 04:47:34 PM »
Expand Quote
I just want to know what you mean by essentially saying OG companies are going out of business because they aren't any good suddenly.
So Alien Workshop, Zero, and Girl have suddenly become poorly managed? You don't have to tell stories or take sides, but that seems like a ridiculous oversimplification of the current skateboard market.
[close]

It is simplified of course. But it's just common sense. You think Radio Shack is going bankrupt because they are making killer decisions and adapting to the marketplace and have the best people In place and all that stuff? No one can stay on top or in the game forever. That's not even an insult. It's really challenging. I'm starting my own little brand and who knows what kind of chaos is in store for me. Or success. Or both. I may fail more miserably than anyone has. But it'll be my fault and my fault only if I do. Not a bigger candle company's fault. I quit team sports when I was a kid after maybe 10 years because I was sick of relying on others for success ... Or blaming them for failure. I'd rather do my own thing and try it my way and take the blame for failing if I do.

Holy shit, comparing skate companies to RadioShack and Best Buy? Do you really views skate companies no differently than any other consumer brand? Do you think board companies should all view each other primarily as *competitors* to be taken out? Shouldnt that poisonous Ayn Rand capitalist mentality be alien to skateboarding? If you view Nike as Netflix to crailtap's Blockbuster and see no difference between them... well, that is tragically horrible.

whaaaaat

• Rep: 47
« Reply #591 on: May 18, 2016, 04:56:00 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

It is simplified of course. But it's just common sense. You think Radio Shack is going bankrupt because they are making killer decisions and adapting to the marketplace and have the best people In place and all that stuff? No one can stay on top or in the game forever. That's not even an insult. It's really challenging. I'm starting my own little brand and who knows what kind of chaos is in store for me. Or success. Or both. I may fail more miserably than anyone has. But it'll be my fault and my fault only if I do. Not a bigger candle company's fault. I quit team sports when I was a kid after maybe 10 years because I was sick of relying on others for success ... Or blaming them for failure. I'd rather do my own thing and try it my way and take the blame for failing if I do.

I got a feeling gipper will have a stronger response to this than I'll be able to.  But I have a hard time buying this argument in full.  I'm all about capitalism rewarding the best and hardest working among us.  But it's not that simple.  It's like saying that CEO's who's salary has increased 300+ times in the last 20 years while workers salaries have remained stagnant has happened only because those CEO's are working 300+ times harder and are 300+ times smarter than the workers, as opposed to say, them being in a position of power to influence the rules of the game in their favor.  Does hard work make a difference between who stays and who goes?  Absolutely.  Are there other factors in play?  Definitely.  And in the case of corpo shoe companies,  I got a feeling it's a lot of the 'other factors' that are making the difference.

Sold Out

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 96
« Reply #592 on: May 18, 2016, 05:01:19 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Holy shit, comparing skate companies to RadioShack and Best Buy? Do you really views skate companies no differently than any other consumer brand? Do you think board companies should all view each other primarily as *competitors* to be taken out? Shouldnt that poisonous Ayn Rand capitalist mentality be alien to skateboarding? If you view Nike as Netflix to crailtap's Blockbuster and see no difference between them... well, that is tragically horrible.

I have to side with Brink here. You're a total moron if you don't see the business comparison here. RadioShack is a business that used to be super powerful and is now failing, just like these skate companies. Both businesses, a lot of comparisons can be made there.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2016, 05:05:08 PM by Sold Out »

whaaaaat

• Rep: 47
« Reply #593 on: May 18, 2016, 05:03:42 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I got a feeling gipper will have a stronger response to this than I'll be able to.  But I have a hard time buying this argument in full.  I'm all about capitalism rewarding the best and hardest working among us.  But it's not that simple.  It's like saying that CEO's who's salary has increased 300+ times in the last 20 years while workers salaries have remained stagnant has happened only because those CEO's are working 300+ times harder and are 300+ times smarter than the workers, as opposed to say, them being in a position of power to influence the rules of the game in their favor.  Does hard work make a difference between who stays and who goes?  Absolutely.  Are there other factors in play?  Definitely.  And in the case of corpo shoe companies,  I got a feeling it's a lot of the 'other factors' that are making the difference.
[close]

I'm sure you are correct. I was just explaining what someone asked based on what I have seen where I have worked in skate. I'm pretty sure its understood that I don't mean what I'm saying applies to "everything and everyone." At least I hope that's understood.

Yes, understood.  Always appreciate your comments.  *thumbs up emoji*

CRAILFISH TO REVERT

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 506
« Reply #594 on: May 18, 2016, 05:04:17 PM »
someone just argued their way to PAL status!

augustmoon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 804
« Reply #595 on: May 18, 2016, 05:04:40 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

This thread has gone full tin-foil-hat.  Never thought I'd see the day when we'd have Marc Johnson of all people burned in effigy.  Shuddering to think how you all are going to react when they announce Reynolds
Fuck brandon biebel... The lemon thrower

labor

• Rep: -39
« Reply #596 on: May 18, 2016, 05:06:19 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Haha never said a word about Best Buy. And it was just a random example of someone I recently read was going bankrupt to illustrate what I was trying to say. Insert any brand's name that was at the top and isn't around anymore and so often it's the case. That's all. Jeez ....

I dunno why im going in on this but...they are not the same. Radio Shack had some management failures but the reason they went out of business was focusing on cell phones (product niche) and online competition (think Amazon). In effect, they went out of business primarily because the means of purchase (online v brick and mortar) changed and product niche. Lakai makes shoes and so does nike. This is not about product or different means of purchase. This is about scale, size and access to capital. The two are really not good comparisons.

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -958
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #597 on: May 18, 2016, 05:07:07 PM »
  I gnar Brink tho when I remember.
"I just care about the river, I dont care about your back"

Greg

• Rep: -43
  • CRUSTY PALMS
    • // 1017 GLO GANG // FREE MAX B // FREE GUCCI // STREET MONEY // BLACKLAND // HOTHEADS // FUCKOUTTAHERE // avatar image
« Reply #598 on: May 18, 2016, 05:09:06 PM »
niggas gotta do what niggas gotta do, fuck the bullshit.
| FUCK JAMIE THOMAS | IT'S CURTAINS |

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -936
  • I own Malibu? I am going to fuck you.
« Reply #599 on: May 18, 2016, 05:10:19 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I disagree with that comparison. The technology of skateboarding has essentially stayed the same. Its not like 1990 when suddenly popsicle boards, small wheels, and street pros became the standard. The difference today is that new powerful players are taking over the market. I think this is more like when Wal-mart comes into a small town and puts all of the small businesses out of business. They are larger, start off with more open accounts, and can afford a larger overhead and lower prices. The price issue is a serious one, as they get accused of predatory pricing- pricing goods below market price and at a loss when they come into a new town until the competition is gone, at which point they jack the prices up. Nike may not do that with pricing, but they definitely have already abandoned a lot of policies they had to keep in place before they had a hold on the market, with the most obvious example being their availability at any shoe store these days, instead of their original promise of just being in skate shops.  In the end, people are left with less choices of businesses and the economies of entire communities become dependent on the low wage jobs and cheap products Wal-mart creates. That could easily happen to skating- skater owned brands, which may be full of lame owners, go out of business, skate shoes get less popular in the mainstream, and boom, we're back to going to footlocker and trying to find the shoe that looks most like it might skate well.
Put simply, competition is a HUGE part of business, of course other competitors relate to whether you succeed of fail, and team sports is really mostly just conditioning to ease people into capitalism and militarism (ok, that last part is more hypothesis than proven fact)
Are you a kook? If you would say this, the answer is “YES”
I quit skating for a time due to piling out