Author Topic: Pool Coping?  (Read 6963 times)

hesaidwhat?

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -2
Pool Coping?
« on: March 29, 2011, 08:47:05 PM »
I'm looking to rip out some of the metal coping on my ramp and put in concrete pool coping. Anyone know specifically what i should look for and where I would be able to find it?

marginal way

• Rep: 51
  • making it happen
    • marginal way website avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Pool Coping?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2011, 08:52:43 PM »
just do poured in place. no seams.

http://www.skatepark.org/park-development/diy/2011/01/pour-mans-pool-coping/

or call around to places that build residential swimming pools in your area. but unless you live in california, or somewhere else where backyard pools are prevelant enough to justify places pouring blocks, you'll have to have it shipped, and it will be expensive.

bullnose bricks are readily available all over the country, along with a whole bunch of other options. i know some dudes that used tall boy cans to mold blocks awhile back, and they're sick.
i'm not the official voice of the park, i'm just a guy who skates and works there...
www.marginalwayskatepark.org

twitter- @MWDIY facebook- http://www.facebook.com/mwdiy

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 399
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2011, 10:57:08 PM »
I've always wondered this: what exactly is the process for waxing up pool coping? Like, when you see people barging backyard pools and ding frontside grinds, especially really long ones, is there anything applied to the coping or not really?

Trickskatin

• Rep: 53
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2011, 11:36:52 PM »
I've always wondered this: what exactly is the process for waxing up pool coping? Like, when you see people barging backyard pools and ding frontside grinds, especially really long ones, is there anything applied to the coping or not really?

Lacquer. No wax.

noileum

• Rep: 29
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2011, 01:05:57 AM »
going faster usually helps as well

InternetDaddy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 42
  • sup breh
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2011, 06:55:54 AM »

an older guy was at the park shredding up the pool area, and before he started taking runs he went around and sprayed the coping with clear coat spraypaint. apparently it works as well (if not better) than wax, and does a better job of protecting the coping.
Look I'm not selling anything that doesn't have my jizz on it. I don't care how much is offered.

friendly dave

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 742
  • grinding to a halt
    • grindingtoahalt avatar image
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2011, 10:58:02 AM »
Because you can't kill and idea, and we will not be ruled!

the visuals are also mad visual yo
FTW

marginal way

• making it happen
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2011, 11:34:07 AM »
i can't believe i forgot about tedderstone. we're even planning on gettting some for the deep end this summer. blowing it.

NEVER, EVER, EVER WAX COPING. EVER. USE LACQUER.

it soaks into the pores of the coping, strengthening and protecting the concrete.

wax just makes a mess, does nothing to protect the coping, and eventually gets dragged all over the place once it starts sticking to everyone's wheels.

lacquer also works better than wax on most concrete ledges.
i'm not the official voice of the park, i'm just a guy who skates and works there...

Decreed Bratton

• Rep: 19
  • it's possible a man slipped in there.
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2011, 12:17:52 PM »
Another reason not to use wax is safety.  When you're 8 or 9 feet up and slip on the wax it could be deadly.

Lurkenstock

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2011, 02:16:26 PM »
i can't believe i forgot about tedderstone. we're even planning on gettting some for the deep end this summer. blowing it.

Expand Quote
[close]

it soaks into the pores of the coping, strengthening and protecting the concrete.

wax just makes a mess, does nothing to protect the coping, and eventually gets dragged all over the place once it starts sticking to everyone's wheels.

Salba Sauce, baby!
As long as people don't get too carried away with it, lacquer is the shit.

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2011, 11:42:45 PM »

Expand Quote
[close]

One more question-how do you go about lacquering up a ledge? How thick does the spray have to be on the ledge and do you have to wait a little while?

pica

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -36
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2011, 02:58:22 AM »
I'm looking to rip out some of the metal coping on my ramp and put in concrete pool coping. Anyone know specifically what i should look for and where I would be able to find it?
if your in europe, that's the only way http://www.poolcoping.eu/

grimcity

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2214
  • computer says no
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2011, 06:10:12 AM »
One more question-how do you go about lacquering up a ledge? How thick does the spray have to be on the ledge and do you have to wait a little while?
At our park we use it to butter up concrete edges- I usually lay down two sprays (one back, one forth), let it dry up a bit, then lay down another one. Depends on the concrete's smoothness, but it doesn't really take much. Just pretend like it's red paint and apply it the same way.

L33Tg33k

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 736
  • F.A.P. - Forever Alone Party
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2011, 06:45:36 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
At our park we use it to butter up concrete edges- I usually lay down two sprays (one back, one forth), let it dry up a bit, then lay down another one. Depends on the concrete's smoothness, but it doesn't really take much. Just pretend like it's red paint and apply it the same way.
You're also gonna want to buy/steal a rub brick.  Gotta smooth out the 'crete before you lacq it for proper slides and grinds.
Before you say the music sucked, have you considered shutting the fuck up?

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2011, 04:06:03 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
You're also gonna want to buy/steal a rub brick.  Gotta smooth out the 'crete before you lacq it for proper slides and grinds.

Actually, the things I wanna lacquer up are pretty level/smooth so I'm not sure a rub brick will be necessary. I just wanted to see if there's a better way to make them grindable instead of putting on a bunch of wax.  

Sorry if I'm sounding stupid, but how noticeable is clear lacquer on concrete curbs/planters?
« Last Edit: April 16, 2011, 04:19:58 PM by oyolar »

marginal way

• making it happen
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2011, 06:23:27 PM »
a lot less noticeable than wax, that's for sure... it'll discolor, but not nearly as bad/quick as wax will.

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2011, 06:32:39 PM »
Ok cool. I'm doing this around my campus so just curious.