Author Topic: Conjecture: Johan Stuckey  (Read 7433 times)

Affirmative Axion

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 11
Conjecture: Johan Stuckey
« on: March 27, 2024, 08:34:43 AM »
Preface
The Dylan. article had me reminiscing of the 2010's and I would be hard pressed to say that Johan Stuckey was not one of favorites right up there with Dylan and AO. He first caught my eye with f/s shove crook ender in Cosmic Vomit 2: he was a mix of big with some tech. I would see him regularly on the Berrics, Skate Talk Live, and all over Instagram; he seemed like a fun guy to be around and even seemed close with Huf.

Into the late 2010's turning pro for WKND and having a few enders (Death Dance is a personal favorite) paired with Thrasher coverage and possibly an official nod from Vans on the horizon, his skate career looked to be on an upward trajectory.

Conjecture
My opinion is that he had the connections/personality to stay relevant in some way for the foreseeable future. Also it didn't hurt to be friends with an insanely talented filmer with industry connections like Grant. If he did get on Vans I can definitely see him surviving the cuts and still on the roster had he been producing parts after his unbeknownst magnum opus that would be his Cave part. I feel his Cave part showed his skating was still evolving and I was looking forward to more parts.

Question
Do you think Johan would still be relevant and ripping had the obvious not transpired?

This does not condone Johan's actions. I hope others can digress with a fellow skate nerd in an objective manner on why we are all here: skateboarding.

« Last Edit: March 27, 2024, 08:42:33 AM by Affirmative Axion »

formula420

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 86
Re: Conjecture: Johan Stuckey
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2024, 08:47:00 AM »
Nah

Rune Spliffberg

• Rep: 107
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2024, 08:49:45 AM »
yo hand sticky

JugeL

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 301
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched

BluffsideTank

• Rep: -16
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2024, 09:36:30 AM »
I think so. Thinking back to when I didn't know he was a piece of shit, his personality was pretty magnetic and his skating — while sick — had an approachable way about it. Good mix of styles and I think he would have been a great fit on Vans.

Not sure how big he'd be but he'd still be around WKND at the very least, and not just because of the homie hookup aspect.

JM

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 234
  • sup dog
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2024, 09:39:06 AM »
Happy to.

But, briefly, what did he do that got him ban-hammered from skating.
I’m not letting my YouTube algorithm anywhere near that video.

slapcurbsnotwomen

• Rep: 19
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2024, 09:43:27 AM »
Happy to.

Lied about not having a STD and then giving it to someone

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 689
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2024, 09:46:02 AM »
this guy was nowhere NEAR the level of popularity Alex Olson and Dylan were. never even heard of this guy until he got ousted as a creep / loser. not sure what gave you that idea? wknd will never be as big of a brand as Alien and Crail were in the late 2000s.

backside_frontside

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -302
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2024, 09:51:37 AM »
Maybe Vans would still be making the Paradoxxx. Not gonna lie I got a pair because he looked sick skating them.

Affirmative Axion

• Rep: 11
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2024, 10:04:29 AM »
this guy was nowhere NEAR the level of popularity Alex Olson and Dylan were. never even heard of this guy until he got ousted as a creep / loser. not sure what gave you that idea? wknd will never be as big of a brand as Alien and Crail were in the late 2000s.

To clarify he is on my personal list of favorite skaters from that era (10's in general). I agree that he is nowhere near the level of popularity as Dylan & AO but I liked his style and trick selection; a skater's skater.

Echoing what @BluffsideTank said well that I didn't is that my post was trying to convey that I think he would still be relevant today based on his own merit. I was not inferring he would become a household name just that he would still have legit sponsors and producing good parts.

mooraga

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -35
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2024, 11:10:39 AM »
nah, dude was "good" but barely making it to my eyes
he had enough skills to get noticed but he never had it to become an iconic figure
far far away from a dylan/AO type of legacy

Buttworm

• Rep: 35
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2024, 11:13:26 AM »
Napoleon dynamite with a gammy knob

Ignatius J Reilly

• Rep: 260
  • often correct
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2024, 11:24:51 AM »
wasn't the entire premise of wknd loosely based around the fact that this dude couldn't get a real board sponsor?

JamesFardy

• Rep: 65
    • Gyfcat.com avatar image
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2024, 12:04:07 PM »
Had I not gotten bad at skating and made bad life choices, I think I would have gotten REAL good at skating and made better choices

Uncle Flea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 962
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2024, 12:09:41 PM »
I kinda always thought of him as a middle of the road skater. Ratchety and sketchy. Tricks don't really mean shit if you're looking like a sweaty half full jug of milk sliding down the street.

You know like his mid section is made of slinkies.

I've realized that weekend was the Austyn show pretty much.
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

Allen.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 731
    • Cigarettes for Cardio avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2024, 12:26:32 PM »
I for one understand what OP means and I think he would still be doing his thing… however I also was bespectacled, less handsome than Dylan and Austyn, and wore skinny jeans at the time. So I might be biased.

No stds though!
For someone w.no signature ur awfully hostile, & that is why I do this

BreakfastSandwich

• Rep: 1
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2024, 12:41:19 PM »
He was good enough to be on his friend’s company. I am no Prince Charming myself but man was he hard to look at.

fuck_that_guy

• Rep: 316
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2024, 01:22:15 PM »
don't fuck that guy

Crust

• Rep: 42
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2024, 01:37:36 PM »
I wasn't too aware of him at the time so I can't really give a decent comment here, but I will say that I really enjoyed that part you posted above. Interesting mix of styles. Love the first back tail at the start. Shame he's a cunt; we'll never know.

Mongo Lloyd

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 171
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2024, 01:42:40 PM »
Stuckeys Over Bedrock.
Do you get deja vu, huh?

Shortys Hardware

• Rep: 111
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2024, 01:49:40 PM »
Nahh his death dance part was meh, and his skating had regressed since that first wknd video

heard from a friend is that he has taken zero responsibility over what transpired and has become really bitter about being cancelled lol. fuck this guy. wknd is in a much better place with out his association

Dental Dan

• Rep: 37
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2024, 02:08:25 PM »
Expand Quote
Happy to.

[close]

Lied about not having a STD and then giving it to someone
Multiple partners. Couldn't find the confirmed number after looking for a few mins.
The cia should be sucking our toes and building us better ledge tech.

daewonsbong

• Rep: -10
« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2024, 03:08:03 PM »
Nahh his death dance part was meh, and his skating had regressed since that first wknd video

heard from a friend is that he has taken zero responsibility over what transpired and has become really bitter about being cancelled lol. fuck this guy. wknd is in a much better place with out his association

I've always thought that Johan was in a great situation to be an outspoken advocate against his own actions and use his platform to speak out in favour of safe, consensual sex. Im sure thousands of his tens of thousands of young followers are bitter about it and find his cancellation to be unjust. Johan had the opportunity to change this and by dipping out he ruined that. Johan didnt understand consent but if he used his insta to educate people about it, he could have saved many people from similar situations.

I also dont think he would be very relevant today, his approach to skating is of an older era and even WKND has turned to more ledge tech skaters like burzinski, piombo.

Democratic Republic Of Mongo

• Rep: 122
« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2024, 03:29:40 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I've always thought that Johan was in a great situation to be an outspoken advocate against his own actions and use his platform to speak out in favour of safe, consensual sex. Im sure thousands of his tens of thousands of young followers are bitter about it and find his cancellation to be unjust. Johan had the opportunity to change this and by dipping out he ruined that. Johan didnt understand consent but if he used his insta to educate people about it, he could have saved many people from similar situations.

I also dont think he would be very relevant today, his approach to skating is of an older era and even WKND has turned to more ledge tech skaters like burzinski, piombo.

It would look like a “sorry I got caught, here’s me pretending to have morals” situation. Most people would excommunicate him for what he did.

Dental Dan

• Rep: 37
« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2024, 04:02:45 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

It would look like a “sorry I got caught, here’s me pretending to have morals” situation. Most people would excommunicate him for what he did.
Not the wknd guys though, they would make a roast video that made it clear they knew what was going on and still fuck with him.
The cia should be sucking our toes and building us better ledge tech.

fakie nollie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1066
« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2024, 05:11:02 PM »

Stab n Kill

• Rep: 2
« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2024, 08:29:43 PM »
I’m 2012 or so, I was skating Copley in Boston and there was a younger kid that was  ripping the fountain. I  talked to him for a bit and he mentioned that he was from Miami, and grew up skating with the weekend crew who were all a couple of years older than he was. During our brief chat, he mentioned how cruel Johan was, and how much of a bully he was to his group of friends. They all looked up to the older guys (Johan‘s crew). Anyway, it did stick with me how this kid seemed pretty fixated on stressing the fact that Johan was not a pleasant guy to be around

gnidraobetaks

• Rep: 22
« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2024, 08:41:47 PM »
Team handcum

Theme For A Jackal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 107
« Reply #28 on: March 28, 2024, 07:57:24 AM »
I think he was a rad skater but nowhere near on the trajectory you're putting him on. Bummer he got canceled but it's whatever... if you're doing shitty things to people it's going to catch up to you and just because someone is semi-famous doesn't mean they should be exempt from repercussions.

tuesday

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 293
  • The mistery of shadows
« Reply #29 on: March 28, 2024, 09:21:19 AM »