Author Topic: Evidence for God  (Read 51621 times)

CRAILFISH TO REVERT

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 506
Re: Evidence for God
« Reply #60 on: August 14, 2017, 05:34:57 PM »
What did the five heavenly fingers say to the face?

#blessed

FrenchFriedClownFingers

• Rep: 117
  • evensteven
« Reply #61 on: August 14, 2017, 05:37:46 PM »
What did the five heavenly fingers say to the face?

you better not break any of the 7 deadly sins or it's 5 across the eyes?
even the steven

billyerlife

« Reply #62 on: August 14, 2017, 06:15:31 PM »
I thought the whole game with this shit was that you had to have faith in God? Isn't that the fundamental criteria for getting into heaven? And isn't faith belief without justification? Belief even though there is overwhelming evidence against a wise old space wizard and complete lack of evidence for one. That was why you are so ultra extra super duper special for being a Christian, because of your everlasting faith in the face of reason, logic, or basic common sense. So wouldn't evidence for God eliminate the need for faith, and make belief in God just another boring sensory based belief, like belief in trees?

GAY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 3340
  • Those that SLAP, can't.
« Reply #63 on: August 15, 2017, 09:42:29 AM »
I thought the whole game with this shit was that you had to have faith in God? Isn't that the fundamental criteria for getting into heaven? And isn't faith belief without justification? Belief even though there is overwhelming evidence against a wise old space wizard and complete lack of evidence for one. That was why you are so ultra extra super duper special for being a Christian, because of your everlasting faith in the face of reason, logic, or basic common sense. So wouldn't evidence for God eliminate the need for faith, and make belief in God just another boring sensory based belief, like belief in trees?

This is astute.

Beeda Weeda

« Reply #64 on: August 15, 2017, 12:22:53 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

This is astute.

ChuckRamone

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 534
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #65 on: August 15, 2017, 02:49:35 PM »
the alt right wants you to believe in jesus and a lot of people have drank the kool-aid because they can't think for themselves.

fulltechnicalskizzy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1936
« Reply #66 on: August 15, 2017, 02:54:45 PM »
the alt right wants you to believe in jesus and a lot of people have drank the kool-aid because they can't think for themselves.
This is... not quite as astute.

Pigeon

« Reply #67 on: August 15, 2017, 03:20:20 PM »
the alt right wants you to believe that Jesus and Santa Claus are white

GAY

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #68 on: August 15, 2017, 03:28:49 PM »
Did anybody ever notice how the words "right" and "white" rhyme? I can't be the first guy to notice this!

Pigeon

« Reply #69 on: August 15, 2017, 04:56:11 PM »
Did anybody ever notice how the words "right" and "white" rhyme? I can't be the first guy to notice this!
No,  because I've heard chant on a documentary about white supremacists:
"If you ain't white, you ain't right!"

tobey

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 5
« Reply #70 on: August 15, 2017, 05:30:35 PM »
People who yell at other people for believing in God, shut up

People who yell at other people for not believing in God, shut up

Doesn't really matter though, you are all fake and just living in my reality for my own amusement. You guys are probably aliens or robots.

#420 #weedsaveslives #IamGodButImReallyJustLivingInGodsGuestHouse

GAY

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #71 on: August 15, 2017, 05:39:47 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
No,  because I've heard chant on a documentary about white supremacists:
"If you ain't white, you ain't right!"

I wonder if the rest of this rhyme goes,
"If your palate be cleft, you might be left!
If your mom played the fiddle, you probably middle!
If you pillage and plunder, you might be under!
If you like to have sex on top, you're definitely a top!"

ChuckRamone

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #72 on: August 15, 2017, 06:38:47 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

there are a lot of evangelicals on alt right sites talking about jesus. they refer to atheists as "fedoras" and other slurs. I don't know if they all sincerely believe in christianity but they view it as part of western civilization and tell people it's necessary for upholding traditional values and fighting islam and cultural marxism and jews. some alt right people are european pagans but they are a minority within that scene. so what part did I get wrong?

tobey

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 5
« Reply #73 on: August 15, 2017, 06:49:16 PM »

SodaJerk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1085
  • Butterscotch yo!
« Reply #74 on: August 15, 2017, 11:07:50 PM »
People who yell at other people for believing in God, shut up

People who yell at other people for not believing in God, shut up

Doesn't really matter though, you are all fake and just living in my reality for my own amusement. You guys are probably aliens or robots.

#420 #weedsaveslives #IamGodButImReallyJustLivingInGodsGuestHouse

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

there are a lot of evangelicals on alt right sites talking about jesus. they refer to atheists as "fedoras" and other slurs. I don't know if they all sincerely believe in christianity but they view it as part of western civilization and tell people it's necessary for upholding traditional values and fighting islam and cultural marxism and jews. some alt right people are european pagans but they are a minority within that scene. so what part did I get wrong?

Pigeon

« Reply #75 on: August 15, 2017, 11:12:19 PM »

Thrillho

• Rep: 133
« Reply #76 on: August 15, 2017, 11:17:16 PM »
God damn you, Simon.

Simon Woodstock

• Rep: -35
    • Nowhere avatar image
« Reply #77 on: August 17, 2017, 10:25:09 PM »

I would say faith goes along with fact. Or, another way: Christianity is a faith founded on facts. One need not check their brain at the door to become a Christian.

Simon Woodstock

• Nowhere avatar image
« Reply #78 on: August 17, 2017, 10:36:02 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Dear religious people who want to argue,

You believe that a creator exists because the universe is too complex to have just happened by itself. Your creator must then be more complex than the universe, or at the very least no less complex, but you believe this creator just happened/always existed. So, by your own reasoning it makes more sense to believe the universe came into existence by itself or always existed.
The whole creationism idea is actually circular and false logic.

Game, set and match.
[close]
fuck off
Not so fast, I don't believe God is a complex being. He is simple (in the sense of not consisting as parts). This is an important aspect of the debate. A lot of atheists assume that theists hold that God is an eternal bundle of parts. I myself would argue against a complex God.
[close]
[close]

Hahahaha so how is he an intelligent designer then???  How does he do anything you religious nutjobs think he does? Your argument makes no logical sense whatsoever.
Look, if you believe that things must have been created, it doesn't matter what the creator is, if the creator exists then he must have been created as well. It is simpler to believe that the universe just happened (or just is) than God AND the universe.

I think it (i.e., my argument) makes sense. God fashions/designs things as the uncaused, efficient cause of all else. He providentially guides all things along as well.

Colossians 1:17 "He is before all things, and in him all things hold together."

'The who designed the designer' question does arise. But, the solution is as I stated: God is not a bundle or sequence of complex parts. He is infinite and immaterial. An infinite immaterial being not only doesn't need a cause, but cannot be caused. God always existed.

I would disagree that it is simpler to believe the universe just popped into existence from nothing. I would say out of the available options (the universe is either self caused, uncaused, or caused) that the causality option is actually the most logical. Scottish Skeptic, David Hume once said 'I would never assert such an unreasonable proposition that something came to exist without a cause'

Simon Woodstock

• Nowhere avatar image
« Reply #79 on: August 17, 2017, 11:16:16 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
questions from an agnostic bored to death by obnoxious atheism and obnoxious monotheism:

if one god can bring itself into existence/have always existed, what precludes that possibility for a 2nd 3rd or 4th god, (etc.)?
couldn't an infinite number of gods have come up into existence at the same moment?
using the argument from the first video, why does each mind have to be made in the image of the same god? couldn't each mind be an image of a different god? couldn't parts of minds come from different sources?

why do people do people involved in organized religion make assumptions about things they know they cannot possibly comprehend?

[close]

In my understanding, as far as the multiple gods question goes, it has to do with the characteristics of of God not being caused and God's attribute of infinity. That is, an uncaused, infinite cause, cannot cause another uncaused, infinite cause, because by the very facts that the caused entity would have a) not always existed, and b) needed to be caused to exist, it would by default be a lesser being than the cause, and thus could not be God (if that makes sense). In other words, as far as my understanding of God goes, such an ultimate being would have to have always existed, and, therefore, a second or third etc. caused being would be less than ultimate, and thus not God.

Also, there are mathematical problems with an actual infinite number of things. While one non-complex being that is infinite is not contradictory, an actual infinite sequence (of individual gods or whatever) is impossible because you cannot add to or subtract from an infinite sequence. If you add two gods to an infinite number of gods, then you still have an infinite number of gods, if you add three gods, same thing.

I would say, following this logic out, the best conclusion is to state that there is one, uncaused God that exists.

Thus, I think the One God conclusion also answers (at least to some extent) your second inquiry about individual minds.

As far as assumptions, I think people in disorganized religion do such things more often.
[close]

All you're saying is that "God" cannot be defined.

Having said, we can trace the stories of the Christian god back to cultures that predate Christianity by thousands of years, from the Epic of Gilgamesh to the story of Odin. Not to say it's faith-based plagiarism, but when ancient civilizations didn't understand things they imposed supernatural attributes to things they couldn't explain (much like the video about consciousness you posted at the beginning of this thread). Your own religion was modified greatly by Constantine based off of the beliefs of ancient pagan Saxons, not to mention the selective use of what was and what wasn't included in the scriptures you read via smashing together the Tanakh and certain 1st century pieces rewritten by the Greeks, as well as additional insertions/omissions by the Catholic church.

While that may or may not fall on deaf ears, if it gives you comfort, by all means roll with it... but it's no more valid than any other mono/polytheistic religion out there.

I'd also like to add that higher maths have absolutely no issue with the concepts of infinity, whether you're talking about it on a grand scale or infinite decimals in between whole numbers.

Also, while your comment about adding to an infinite sequence still equals infinity is correct, you're still adding to it, but the total is infinity (∞), not one (1). I can easily add odd numbers to a sequence of infinite even numbers in a sequence.

Just going point by point here to keep things organized (as I think this is fruitful discussion)

All you're saying is that "God" cannot be defined.

*I am not saying that at all. In fact, God, as the highest metaphysical principle in all of existence has manifold characteristics and can most certainly be defined. Most simply: God is the uncaused cause of everything else that exists.

Having said, we can trace the stories of the Christian god back to cultures that predate Christianity by thousands of years, from the Epic of Gilgamesh to the story of Odin.

*my understanding here is that these claims are shaky and when Christianity is closely compared and contrasted to other religions, Christianity emerges as unique. Also, Christianity historically weaves back through Old Testament Judaism, which stretches back to the very creation of the universe (Genesis 1:1) so it is an extension/completion of the oldest religion in history.

Nevertheless, given that historical world religions do have certain similarities (belief in a God or gods, codes of behavior, prophets, etc.) it is important to note that similarity does not automatically equal same. What I mean is this: if there are similarities between Christianity and other ancient religions, it does not automatically follow that they are all in the same category of ancient historical religious folklore. If you search out the historical factual evidence for Christianity, I firmly believe there is more than enough support for its exclusive claims.

JP Moreland here presents the evidence comprehensibly

Not to say it's faith-based plagiarism, but when ancient civilizations didn't understand things they imposed supernatural attributes to things they couldn't explain (much like the video about consciousness you posted at the beginning of this thread).

*In the study of world religions, there are certainly traces of animism, but Christianity is by no means an animistic belief system. Moreover, human consciousness is supported by the philosophical evidence. Rene Descartes posited a 'second substance' necessary for consciousness and that substance is immaterial. 

Atheists also posit a 'naturalism of the gaps' to try to explain away things that are best explained by the existence and casualty of God, such as information coded into DNA, the constants of physics in the universe, etc.

Your own religion was modified greatly by Constantine based off of the beliefs of ancient pagan Saxons, not to mention the selective use of what was and what wasn't included in the scriptures you read via smashing together the Tanakh and certain 1st century pieces rewritten by the Greeks, as well as additional insertions/omissions by the Catholic church.

*This is not factual. The New Testament was written 200+ years before Constantine and the pre-Nicene Church Fathers articulated/ratified the core doctrines of New Testament Christianity well before the Constantinoplian counsels.

While the Canon of Scripture (which does contain the Hebrew Bible) was ratified through Constantinople/Chalcedon, it was in circulation well before that and is not suspect.

While that may or may not fall on deaf ears, if it gives you comfort, by all means roll with it...

* I am actually reading all that you post and am quite interested in the dialogue

but it's no more valid than any other mono/polytheistic religion out there.

* I think the historical facts show otherwise.

John Lennox makes a robust presentation here:

I'd also like to add that higher maths have absolutely no issue with the concepts of infinity, whether you're talking about it on a grand scale or infinite decimals in between whole numbers.

*Conceptually, I understand this. Things such as a potential infinite regress are compressible in the mind. The problem lies with an actual infinite number of things, which is impossible. Nevertheless, we could wind up splitting hairs here: the point is that God is not an in finite bundle of parts, He is in infinite, uncaused, immaterial being.

Also, while your comment about adding to an infinite sequence still equals infinity is correct, you're still adding to it, but the total is infinity (∞), not one (1). I can easily add odd numbers to a sequence of infinite even numbers in a sequence.

*there still would be no actual quantifiable difference.

This is an important thing to get, as atheists, such as Dawkins, argue against God presuming that He is believed to be an eternal bundle of parts. That would be easy to argue against, but it is a straw man, as Classical Theism holds (and the Bible teaches0 that God doesn't consist of quantifiable parts.

[ This video is brutally long, but Dr. Dolezal breaks Divine Simplicity down, i.e., God not consisting of parts ]

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 140
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #80 on: August 17, 2017, 11:38:44 PM »
yeah, but do you kill god's creatures and eat their carcasses?

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

ChuckRamone

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #81 on: August 18, 2017, 07:35:53 AM »
how about addressing the free will/predestination paradox?

Pigeon

« Reply #82 on: August 18, 2017, 09:02:46 AM »
Will I go to Hell if I jerk off in a church confessional? What if I confess afterwards, or jerk off in the bathroom instead?

4LOM

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 161
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #83 on: August 18, 2017, 09:30:46 AM »

I would disagree that it is simpler to believe the universe just popped into existence from nothing. I would say out of the available options (the universe is either self caused, uncaused, or caused) that the causality option is actually the most logical. Scottish Skeptic, David Hume once said 'I would never assert such an unreasonable proposition that something came to exist without a cause'

Kant shut Hume up about that -cause is a feature of how we understand/conceptualize the world, but it's not a feature of the world.

And at the quantum level our intuitions - such as causality - don't apply. And since the universe began at the quantum level, our intuitions on the origin of the universe don't apply.

Here are my reasons to doubt God:

At best, God can be said consistent, but superfluous to naturalism (science does not evoke "God" as an explanatory principle, but you can say God guides natural processes).
As consistent, but superfluous, God is merely possible.
Most things that are possible are not the case
So God, as merely possible, is not the case.

Theism holds that mind is fundamental (from incorporeal mind, matter is created), but that's backwards - mind is realized in matter (brains). So, theism has it wrong. Matter is fundamental, not mind.

If God exists, then authority (Bible, conscience, church leaders), prayer/meditation, and religious intuition would be reliable means to understand the world.
They are not reliable (every generation of Christians, starting with Jesus, predicted end times in their generation based on authority, prayer, and intuition, but they were wrong)
So, God does not exist.

If there is a God that created and sustains the world, acts for good ends, and knowledge of God is possible, then God would fit into explanations of natural phenomena, mind would be fundamental, and religious ways of knowing would be reliable. But since God is explanatorily irrelevant, matter is fundamental, and religious methods of knowing are not reliable, it follows there is no God.

Also, since Genesis gets the natural world wrong - earth before sun and stars, life on land (seed bearing plants?!) before life in the water, etc. - there's no reason to think it gets a spiritual or moral world right.

GAY

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #84 on: August 18, 2017, 09:32:35 AM »
I'm firmly believe that people who live their lives through faith in God are doing something good for themselves.

Proselytizing, however, is just the worst.

4LOM

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 161
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #85 on: August 18, 2017, 09:40:53 AM »
I'm firmly believe that people who live their lives through faith in God are doing something good for themselves.

Proselytizing, however, is just the worst.

What goods?

If belief is good for the person, wouldn't converting others be good for them? So by proselytizing you do good for others.

And since it's good to do good for others, proselytizing is good.

CRAILFISH TO REVERT

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 506
« Reply #86 on: August 18, 2017, 12:02:36 PM »
I have many questions about Heaven. Here are a few:

Is it really all white with all of the buildings made of marble and whatnot?
Can you eat food? have sex? skateboard?

Is it mad crowded?

Is there music? if so, is it peaceful harp shit..or can you listen to metal if you want?

Are the pets chilling or are they in a separate pet heaven? Where are all of the other animals? What about zoo animals? Technically they are pets.

fulltechnicalskizzy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1936
« Reply #87 on: August 18, 2017, 12:18:07 PM »
I have many questions about Heaven. Here are a few:

Is it really all white?

Reported.

straight

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 989
« Reply #88 on: August 18, 2017, 12:21:10 PM »
What about zoo animals?

im picturing a fleet of cruise ships
What kind of mikey taylor logic is this?

L33Tg33k

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 733
  • F.A.P. - Forever Alone Party
« Reply #89 on: August 19, 2017, 10:05:19 AM »
Before you say the music sucked, have you considered shutting the fuck up?