Author Topic: 2022 unpopular opinion thread  (Read 186426 times)

warmonke

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 43
Re: 2022 unpopular opinion thread
« Reply #1140 on: June 08, 2022, 02:16:00 AM »
@SneakySecrets can you name some examples for reference?

I can think of that vans vid that had a sunny day real estate track and then that new foundation vid had some appleseed cast but that is all that comes to mind
Limosine are pretty heavy on the emo, I back it though

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 856
« Reply #1141 on: June 08, 2022, 06:02:47 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Palace and the chav culture they promote is wack
[close]

are you from the UK? i grew up in chav culture (north uk) and the only parallel i could possibly draw between palace/chav culture would be some of the outfits and maybe music choices. could argue some of the collabs ie avirex which was a staple of that culture early 2000s, but that was also a part of graff culture hence why they had zomby dds doing promo/artwork for it. i just dont see the connection in the point you're making.
[close]

Nah, I’m from Finland. I just am not a fan of the culture Palace seems to be pushing. I personally associate it with the chav culture but I don’t know it very well so I could be way off.

I’m not into all the clean cut Primitive shit but the Palace stuff seem contrived and wack to me. The skating might be fine but the stuff around it I’m not a fan of.
[close]

Interesting, curious to know what exactly you think they're pushing? Because chav culture would be the last thing I link it to imo, I mean it's hard to quantify what that culture really is but Palace to me has always seemed representative of the kinda shit the people involved would've grew up around, hence collabs with say Avirex/Zomby DDS who was one of the 90s/early 2ks UK graff kings, very heavily influenced 90's soundtracks etc. You could argue that some of those collabs definitely took some inspo from chav culture with stuff like Reebok, Kappa etc collabs but at the same time I don't think anyone is watching a Palace video and putting on a Helly Hansen jacket before jumping in a 1.2l 2002 Corsa and going to commit petty crimes.

Obviously I have some fair bias on it being from the UK but it's always seemed like one of the more "authentic" brands, the videos have always came across like a bunch of guys just rolling around with a camera and seeing what happens. Some of the collabs as of late definitely fall into dubious territory, but at the same time almost seems like they're just taking the absolute piss and seeing how far they can take it - I mean shit if collabs with Mercedes AMG, Stella and fucking Harrods are giving people like Chewy Cannon and Lucas Puig a solid paycheck, fucking go for it. Let's not forget they raised/donated £50k to LLSB and opened a free indoor park in London, to me they can do no wrong but each to their own.
Just saw some esh dipshit at kfc in a massive palace jacket. id be very surprised if they skated at all. (Most likely of they go to a skatepark its to try steal phones). I've seen other eshays in palace, supreme type gear before but don't know how much overlap between chav and esh there is.

cky enthusiast

« Reply #1142 on: June 08, 2022, 06:28:43 AM »
palace has sponsored both a UCI WorldTour cycling team as well as jamal smith. shit is cool stop fronting

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1143 on: June 08, 2022, 07:12:53 AM »
They didn't sponsor the team they did a collab for a single race.

cky enthusiast

« Reply #1144 on: June 08, 2022, 10:36:51 AM »

who cares!!!

thebacker

« Reply #1145 on: June 08, 2022, 11:36:35 AM »
regardless i want one of those jersey's they released for it, i saw one in person and they are a beauty

tom

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 988
  • the moon rules
« Reply #1146 on: June 08, 2022, 03:34:45 PM »
I hate frogtown skatepark footage
I hate skating Frogtown skatepark
fuck you bama

DannyDee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 247
« Reply #1147 on: June 08, 2022, 03:50:15 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

are you from the UK? i grew up in chav culture (north uk) and the only parallel i could possibly draw between palace/chav culture would be some of the outfits and maybe music choices. could argue some of the collabs ie avirex which was a staple of that culture early 2000s, but that was also a part of graff culture hence why they had zomby dds doing promo/artwork for it. i just dont see the connection in the point you're making.
[close]

Nah, I’m from Finland. I just am not a fan of the culture Palace seems to be pushing. I personally associate it with the chav culture but I don’t know it very well so I could be way off.

I’m not into all the clean cut Primitive shit but the Palace stuff seem contrived and wack to me. The skating might be fine but the stuff around it I’m not a fan of.
[close]

Interesting, curious to know what exactly you think they're pushing? Because chav culture would be the last thing I link it to imo, I mean it's hard to quantify what that culture really is but Palace to me has always seemed representative of the kinda shit the people involved would've grew up around, hence collabs with say Avirex/Zomby DDS who was one of the 90s/early 2ks UK graff kings, very heavily influenced 90's soundtracks etc. You could argue that some of those collabs definitely took some inspo from chav culture with stuff like Reebok, Kappa etc collabs but at the same time I don't think anyone is watching a Palace video and putting on a Helly Hansen jacket before jumping in a 1.2l 2002 Corsa and going to commit petty crimes.

Obviously I have some fair bias on it being from the UK but it's always seemed like one of the more "authentic" brands, the videos have always came across like a bunch of guys just rolling around with a camera and seeing what happens. Some of the collabs as of late definitely fall into dubious territory, but at the same time almost seems like they're just taking the absolute piss and seeing how far they can take it - I mean shit if collabs with Mercedes AMG, Stella and fucking Harrods are giving people like Chewy Cannon and Lucas Puig a solid paycheck, fucking go for it. Let's not forget they raised/donated £50k to LLSB and opened a free indoor park in London, to me they can do no wrong but each to their own.
Yeah, they make a ton off them due to hypebeasts loving the stuff, but they are one of the most authentic teams out. It's a network of close homies based in London plus a couple others. The videos and tour edits they put out are always really authentic, and the brand was formed by London skaters living in run down apartments/flats. Yeah, they aren't trying to be Primitive and they have turned down big names, because they one don't really need big board sales, and two, they are probably closer to that family vibe some brands try to put out than almost any other. The only really big name they put on with Lucas who was asked years back and was close with them through Adidas. If you just look at their edits, and ignore the type of people who buy the brand buy don't skate, just be happy a bunch of guys are able to live in UK/Europe and get big checks without having to move to Cali like they had to do in the early 2000s and guys like Danny Brady, Rory, Chewy and Lucien are getting the respect they deserve. The more the industry moves away from having to live in LA, SF or NYC to get coverage the better. Not that those cities aren't great, but you shouldn't have to move there for coverage and to have a pro career.

DanCorteseFromMTVSports

• Rep: 284
« Reply #1148 on: June 08, 2022, 03:52:08 PM »
  • SLAP ARGUING AGAIN
  • IF PALACE IS AUTHENTIC
  • LADS SHOULD GO GET A STRONGBOW
  • AND WATCH RHYTHM GENESIS INSTEAD

« Last Edit: June 08, 2022, 04:09:52 PM by DanCorteseFromMTVSports »

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 620
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #1149 on: June 10, 2022, 02:59:06 AM »
I don't know how unpopular that is, but I like the skating from Eze Martinez way more as from his brother Milton.

https://www.instagram.com/tv/Cel0wY5AbJ_/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=
IG: @flowterspace

Sila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 338
  • Jamu Gost
« Reply #1150 on: June 10, 2022, 03:28:32 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
Just saw some esh dipshit at kfc in a massive palace jacket. id be very surprised if they skated at all. (Most likely of they go to a skatepark its to try steal phones). I've seen other eshays in palace, supreme type gear before but don't know how much overlap between chav and esh there is.

There's plenty of overlap, with slight regional/cultural differences or aesthetic preferences. But lol I don't think Palace is really a chav thing. People started iron ically adopting chav clothing as a fashion statement and that has blurred the lines a bit

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1151 on: June 10, 2022, 06:24:21 AM »
Sometimes I'd rather use my energy to just like things

Billy Bitchcakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 473
  • Q U I T E S T Y L I S H
« Reply #1152 on: June 10, 2022, 12:24:58 PM »
Expand Quote
“Skate Twitter” is the cringiest place on the internet. Full of the worst types of people you see at skateparks. Saw some dude saying primitive needed a round of layoffs because the video was too long
[close]
Skate twitter is full of guys too scared to post here

Can someone start a Skate Twitter thread? I don't use twitter but would enjoy wallowing in some of the worst of it.
During sex to prevent myself from ejaculating I think about Osama Bin Laden running my dick through a sewing machine.

Jonny7.5Alive

• Rep: 87
« Reply #1153 on: June 10, 2022, 12:36:02 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
“Skate Twitter” is the cringiest place on the internet. Full of the worst types of people you see at skateparks. Saw some dude saying primitive needed a round of layoffs because the video was too long
[close]
[close]

Can someone start a Skate Twitter thread? I don't use twitter but would enjoy wallowing in some of the worst of it.

Same

FuzzGNU

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 194
  • The Spectre Haunting SLAP
« Reply #1154 on: June 10, 2022, 01:09:15 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

Its not that bad to be honest.

Some interesting conversations always happen: cool skate history, throwback clips, trick discussion, some solid skate humor, and people clipping stuff from new videos for discussion.

There are also some annoying hot takes and pretentiousness. Just like here, there are terrible takes and bait. Replace the assholery of Slap with some pretentiousness and an over emphasis on skate pants fashion.

It definitely feels more like a "community" than anything else on Twitter, lots of good people. Its pretty chill and interesting overall if you ignore the annoying posts and embrace the good posts. However, some content farming accounts have recently started spamming IG skate clips on the hashtag which sucks.
Skateboarding is the ultimate challenge.

Jonny7.5Alive

« Reply #1155 on: June 10, 2022, 01:37:46 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]

Some interesting conversations always happen: cool skate history, throwback clips, trick discussion, some solid skate humor, and people clipping stuff from new videos for discussion.

There are also some annoying hot takes and pretentiousness. Just like here, there are terrible takes and bait. Replace the assholery of Slap with some pretentiousness and an over emphasis on skate pants fashion.

It definitely feels more like a "community" than anything else on Twitter, lots of good people. Its pretty chill and interesting overall if you ignore the annoying posts and embrace the good posts. However, some content farming accounts have recently started spamming IG skate clips on the hashtag which sucks.

How do I see it

FuzzGNU

« Reply #1156 on: June 10, 2022, 01:46:16 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

How do I see it

#skatetwitter

This link will let you see the latest posts: https://twitter.com/search?q=%23skatetwitter&src=typed_query&f=live

This link will let you see the "top" posts (whatever the algorithm means by that): https://twitter.com/search?q=%23skatetwitter&src=typed_query

Billy Bitchcakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 473
  • Q U I T E S T Y L I S H
« Reply #1157 on: June 12, 2022, 06:17:32 AM »
Seems to just be a bunch of clips? We have instagram for that already
During sex to prevent myself from ejaculating I think about Osama Bin Laden running my dick through a sewing machine.

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1957
« Reply #1158 on: June 12, 2022, 06:37:51 AM »
I remember for like two days someone on skate twitter was throwing a huge temper tantrum because somebody who was pretty good at skating was posting clips and apparently that was "ruining the discussion" or something like that.

The best part was when I clicked on the angry guy's profile his top pinned tweet was a bunch of clips of himself  ;D

Jonny7.5Alive

« Reply #1159 on: June 12, 2022, 09:02:27 AM »
Absolutely kook Central

FuzzGNU

« Reply #1160 on: June 12, 2022, 11:00:26 AM »
Seems to just be a bunch of clips? We have instagram for that already

Like I said... Some random IG scraping repost accounts have been spamming the hashtag recently which is unfortunate. Haven't checked in on skate Twitter in several months, and that is a new issue. I'm sure if you block those accounts it will solve that.

I remember for like two days someone on skate twitter was throwing a huge temper tantrum because somebody who was pretty good at skating was posting clips and apparently that was "ruining the discussion" or something like that.

The best part was when I clicked on the angry guy's profile his top pinned tweet was a bunch of clips of himself  ;D

Hmm... You think that guy thought it was one of those aforementioned IG repost accounts? If not that's pretty funny. Maybe hit him with a BofA or a SawCon.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2022, 11:08:23 AM by FuzzGNU »

Urtripping

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 523
« Last Edit: June 12, 2022, 06:11:19 PM by Urtripping »
I saw your mommy and your mommy's dead

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1089
« Reply #1162 on: June 13, 2022, 09:41:31 AM »

I remember seeing a thread where a skater was accusing other skaters of fat phobia for insisting that Jamie Foy and Franky Villiani were husky or whatever.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

big_kev_215

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 727
« Reply #1163 on: June 13, 2022, 12:59:43 PM »

I feel like at this point I’m starting to do a 180 on hating on Alex Midler.  You do you Alex. 

Is Illegal Civ still a thing though (hopefully not)?  Or is it that acceptable nowadays to straight up post you skating an Antihero deck??  Alex is about to get a few less Doritos t-shirts in his next package.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2022, 01:19:18 PM by big_kev_215 »

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1164 on: June 13, 2022, 03:03:35 PM »
I think everyone knows that when a pro is forced to buy or skate a deck which isn’t their own, they’re gonna be on an Antihero eagle 95% of the time.

conqueso

« Reply #1165 on: June 13, 2022, 03:38:08 PM »
man purse detected

work_lurker

• Rep: 82
  • I've never had a shaved head in my entire life
« Reply #1166 on: June 13, 2022, 04:04:33 PM »
man purse detected

You have to conjugate. The proper term is a man-sack.
Hopefully not a kook, but if so, fuck it.

warmonke

« Reply #1167 on: June 14, 2022, 03:37:06 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I remember seeing a thread where a skater was accusing other skaters of fat phobia for insisting that Jamie Foy and Franky Villiani were husky or whatever.
was this the other day? saw some guy fishing for complaints in a posting saying how he feels he never looks good on a board because he's fat, only to then proceed to effectively gatekeep obesity (lol) by arguing that all the skaters people listed as being a bit portly (AA, Foy, etc) aren't actually fat, not really sure what he hoped to get out of it

warmonke

« Reply #1168 on: June 15, 2022, 11:52:55 AM »
Expand Quote
@SneakySecrets can you name some examples for reference?

I can think of that vans vid that had a sunny day real estate track and then that new foundation vid had some appleseed cast but that is all that comes to mind
[close]
Limosine are pretty heavy on the emo, I back it though
new last resort vid is also heavy on the (scr)emo, was not expecting it but backing it hard, assuming it's daniel dent's influence

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1169 on: June 15, 2022, 11:57:09 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
was this the other day? saw some guy fishing for complaints in a posting saying how he feels he never looks good on a board because he's fat, only to then proceed to effectively gatekeep obesity (lol) by arguing that all the skaters people listed as being a bit portly (AA, Foy, etc) aren't actually fat, not really sure what he hoped to get out of it

I did see that post and frankly it was pretty pathetic (I didn’t bother reading the replies), but no, this was a different conversation. The one you’re talking about did remind me though, which is why I brought it up.

“Gatekeeping obesity” is correct and hilarious. I don’t know what more anyone wants; fat people can just buy a skateboard any time. No one is stopping them and no one cares that they're fat.