Author Topic: bikes  (Read 309142 times)

jack burton

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 158
Re: bikes
« Reply #1320 on: April 30, 2020, 08:21:36 PM »
I had a cetma five rail wrack and I loved it. Can’t tell you how many times I put a 30 pack on that baby.

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -958
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #1321 on: May 10, 2020, 07:27:37 PM »

I got a new rear brake for my bmx made by odessey.  Its a brand new design and Odessey only make really good shit.    Im really diggin my bike. 
"I just care about the river, I dont care about your back"

ungzilla

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 993
« Reply #1322 on: May 11, 2020, 07:16:27 AM »
I’ve got a carbon road bike for when I want to Lycra up and go fast/far and a fixed gear for getting around town, commuting to work, and just generally terrifying myself on.

Been toying with the idea of selling the fixed gear (Francis Xavier, I think we’re close by and I’m also 6’1) and potentially going full retro grouch and getting a Rivendell to take over getaround/long ride duties. Since I’ve sold my gravel bike I’ve really missed having something with bigger tires to go climb some fire roads on.

Anyone have a Riv? Worth it in your opinion? Any recommendations/experience with other steel frames with good tire clearance i.e. Surly or Crust?

I have a SOMA Wolverine which is my do-anything gravel bike, which I would say is similar to some Surly models, dunno about Crust though. I personally love it. I have some 44mm gravel king panaracer tires and I can basically go anywhere except for extremely rocky or otherwise technical single track. I could get a set of 650b wheels and run actual mtb tires and increase that capability. With the 700c wheels I can probably get as big as 48mm for tires. Over the winter I put 35mm tires on and added some velo orange fenders (45mm) for commuting. It sounds like you already had a gravel bike though, so why'd you get rid of it?

« Last Edit: May 11, 2020, 01:33:00 PM by ungzilla »

Fred Gerwer Frank Gall

« Reply #1323 on: May 11, 2020, 12:21:43 PM »
I’ve got a carbon road bike for when I want to Lycra up and go fast/far and a fixed gear for getting around town, commuting to work, and just generally terrifying myself on.

Been toying with the idea of selling the fixed gear (Francis Xavier, I think we’re close by and I’m also 6’1) and potentially going full retro grouch and getting a Rivendell to take over getaround/long ride duties. Since I’ve sold my gravel bike I’ve really missed having something with bigger tires to go climb some fire roads on.

Anyone have a Riv? Worth it in your opinion? Any recommendations/experience with other steel frames with good tire clearance i.e. Surly or Crust?

Crust look amazing if you have the $s. I have two Surlys (they are in this thread somewhere). A steamroller currently set up with brakes and single speed freewheel. I've had it for fourteen years or so as my daily driver around town. And a Straggler I use for longer mixed terrain adventure rides. I've done a road century on it and also tackled some single track on it. I love it. Its heavy as shit but that's fine by me. I usually roll with Bruce Gordon Rock and Roads 700 x 43 tires.

« Last Edit: May 11, 2020, 12:28:54 PM by Fred Gerwer Frank Gall »

Enrico Pallazzo

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Rep: 218
« Reply #1324 on: May 11, 2020, 04:56:10 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I have a SOMA Wolverine which is my do-anything gravel bike, which I would say is similar to some Surly models, dunno about Crust though. I personally love it. I have some 44mm gravel king panaracer tires and I can basically go anywhere except for extremely rocky or otherwise technical single track. I could get a set of 650b wheels and run actual mtb tires and increase that capability. With the 700c wheels I can probably get as big as 48mm for tires. Over the winter I put 35mm tires on and added some velo orange fenders (45mm) for commuting. It sounds like you already had a gravel bike though, so why'd you get rid of it?

Glad to hear you're stoked on the Wolverine. Decided no on Riv, no on Crust.  Looking at the Wolverine, Black Mountain Cycles MCD or Monstercross, Surly Straggler and Kona Rove ST right now, seeing if anything pops up in my local CL or on Ebay.

Last "gravel bike" was a CX bike that was a size down from my standard frame size. Did a couple of races and long rides on it, but ultimately the geo was so similar to my road bike I just kept taking out the road bike and doing paved rides. It was also a little too nice for me to want to leave outside at a bar or friend's house (hence my no Rivendell no Crust decision), so I sold it knowing I'd likely get something in the future. Don't have much interest in doing any more races (biking community blows skaters out of the water for being elitist and vibey), just want something I can commute to work on and then take out for a day trip into the hills on the weekend.   

Crust look amazing if you have the $s. I have two Surlys (they are in this thread somewhere). A steamroller currently set up with brakes and single speed freewheel. I've had it for fourteen years or so as my daily driver around town. And a Straggler I use for longer mixed terrain adventure rides. I've done a road century on it and also tackled some single track on it. I love it. Its heavy as shit but that's fine by me. I usually roll with Bruce Gordon Rock and Roads 700 x 43 tires.

Totally agree, Crusts look sweet but likely out of my budget and, as noted above, don't want to be stressed about leaving it locked up etc. Glad to hear you like your Straggler, love that colorway. Sounds like the long top tube isn't much of an issue for you, did you go with your standard size for it?

Fred Gerwer Frank Gall

« Reply #1325 on: May 11, 2020, 06:58:37 PM »
I did deliberate over a 56 or 58. My Steamroller is a 56 and sometimes feel a little bit small but for sprinting around town its fine. So when it came to the Straggler, the longer top tube sounded ideal, so I stuck with the 56 again. I think the 58 would have been a bit too stretched out. Worked out great but I know the sizing has frustrated some people's choice.

Fred Gerwer Frank Gall

« Reply #1326 on: May 11, 2020, 07:02:48 PM »
The Surly Midnight Special also looks appealing. I think it is probably more road geo and less mountain bike geo in comparison to the Straggler and it can fit bigger tires. If it had been an option when I was buying my Straggler it would have been a tough decision... same with the Gorilla Monsoon. I do like the idea behind these types of  bikes as Swiss Army knives of cycling.

Enrico Pallazzo

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Rep: 218
« Reply #1327 on: May 11, 2020, 09:53:31 PM »
The Surly Midnight Special also looks appealing. I think it is probably more road geo and less mountain bike geo in comparison to the Straggler and it can fit bigger tires. If it had been an option when I was buying my Straggler it would have been a tough decision... same with the Gorilla Monsoon. I do like the idea behind these types of  bikes as Swiss Army knives of cycling.

Yeah the big 650bs on the Midnight Special and Gorilla Monsoon are super intriguing, I’ve only ridden 700c. Might be fun to get some more volume under me. Always loved All City paint jobs as well and their overall look.

Appreciate the info on your Straggler sizing, sounds like a 58 would be best for me.

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1328 on: May 12, 2020, 05:53:19 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I wonder if it would fit 3.5 wide, 26 inch tires?  prolly 3.25 tho.  Just a thought.

ungzilla

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 993
« Reply #1329 on: May 12, 2020, 06:36:44 AM »
Nah I couldn't get anywhere near close to that big on 26s. There just isn't that much space in the frame. Not really interested in using tires that big or rims smaller than 650b/27.5 wheel though. I'd be happy with something 2.1ish sized and a moderately fast rolling tread. I have a mountain bike if I want to get more serious than that.

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1330 on: May 12, 2020, 02:14:06 PM »
^yah gotcha.  Anyway looks comfy, lovely bars.

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 546
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #1331 on: May 16, 2020, 06:25:19 PM »
Any of you guys have a negative experience with drop bars?

I bought a set today and waiting for the post to arrive, they were dropped down to like 70% off listing so even if I hate them it’s no big deal.

igrindtwinkies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 402
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1332 on: May 16, 2020, 06:32:22 PM »

I bought a set today and waiting for the post to arrive, they were dropped down to like 70% off listing so even if I hate them it’s no big deal.

I personally don't use them unless the wind is really going.  I've always found them uncomfortable, but I bet if I took the time to really get my bike fitted I would like them more.

Fred Gerwer Frank Gall

« Reply #1333 on: May 16, 2020, 07:25:29 PM »

Nothing negative. More hand placement options the better on longer rides. Fun to get down in the drops for a sprint or hill bomb. Mostly in the hoods though...

NG

• Rep: 17
« Reply #1334 on: May 17, 2020, 05:45:24 PM »
Recently re powder coated and built up my old cross bike (gunnar cross hairs) as something I can ride around town or go camp with. Homemade front and rear rack with sk8 attachment.

IUTSM

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1422
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1335 on: May 17, 2020, 07:10:26 PM »

I've got em on my Crosscheck, but they're impossible on a brakeless fixie as far as i'm concerned.

Nice gif. That Cards from the Macaframa video?
Well-defined ambiguity, I'm already on somebody's list as a casualty

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 546
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #1336 on: May 18, 2020, 02:11:51 AM »
Yeah, Cardiel was the basis behind me getting back on a bike so I figure I’d keep that gif running

DarthDingusMaximus

« Reply #1337 on: May 18, 2020, 05:54:30 AM »
Yeah, Cardiel was the basis behind me getting back on a bike so I figure I’d keep that gif running
Cardiel made fixies cool

Joust Ostrich

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 670
  • Speculatnaciousness?
« Reply #1338 on: May 18, 2020, 02:54:54 PM »
Recently re powder coated and built up my old cross bike (gunnar cross hairs) as something I can ride around town or go camp with. Homemade front and rear rack with sk8 attachment.

You have a pretty good set up there.  How do you feel about the shifters in that position?  I haven't ridden one with them situated like that?

Red Chris King up front, I see.  Nice.
I'm posting from my blackberry wtf?!?!?

NG

« Reply #1339 on: May 18, 2020, 03:06:18 PM »
Thanks! Still undecided about the shifters, I had them and the bars in my parts box so kind of trying it on a whim. They're also 10spd rigged up to shift an 8 speed cassette with an x-4 mountain derailleur so it's a little wacky all around. So far after a few rides I don't find it uncomfortable but time will tell...

TastyBurrito

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 552
« Reply #1340 on: May 18, 2020, 03:18:04 PM »

Unless you're on the track, I think riser bars are the best for fixed gear – especially if brakeless. I threw road bars with brake levers (one dummy, one to front brake) on my fixed so I can ride on the hoods. Felt way more comfortable on longer rides. Then I finally got a road bike.

IUTSM

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1341 on: May 18, 2020, 04:47:24 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Unless you're on the track, I think riser bars are the best for fixed gear – especially if brakeless. I threw road bars with brake levers (one dummy, one to front brake) on my fixed so I can ride on the hoods. Felt way more comfortable on longer rides. Then I finally got a road bike.

you really think risers beat out bullhorns on fixed? I think with bullhorns you've got close to the best of both worlds. They're sick for climbing and skid stops.

TastyBurrito

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 552
« Reply #1342 on: May 18, 2020, 04:52:54 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

you really think risers beat out bullhorns on fixed? I think with bullhorns you've got close to the best of both worlds. They're sick for climbing and skid stops.

I do. I've tried all types of bullhorns and I just didn't like them. Even for climbing, I rocked wider riser/flatbars (MTB style) for leverage and I liked that feeling more. But to each their own.

NG

« Reply #1343 on: May 18, 2020, 05:11:48 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

I do. I've tried all types of bullhorns and I just didn't like them. Even for climbing, I rocked wider riser/flatbars (MTB style) for leverage and I liked that feeling more. But to each their own.

~just piping in that bike fit /seat position / stem length and height adj can make any bars feel good or totally shit.

IUTSM

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1344 on: May 18, 2020, 05:23:41 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

right on. i appreciate the hand position changes the bullhorns provide and think it's easier to stand up and pull back on the horns for a power push uphill.

Alan

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2536
« Reply #1345 on: May 19, 2020, 07:25:46 AM »
Fingers crossed, Joust. That's a nice bike, too.
Hosin' out the cab of his pickup truck
He's got his 8-track playin' really fuckin' loud

Fred Gerwer Frank Gall

« Reply #1346 on: May 19, 2020, 10:34:07 AM »
I'm most of you follow MashSF. They have lots of edits on their site but this one was particularly good I thought.

arrbee

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 438
« Reply #1347 on: May 19, 2020, 11:06:39 AM »
Scooped this up Friday from a non profit in the city. They fix up bikes and sell em, take the money and help get people bikes that can't afford em. http://www.urbanbikeproject.com/

SE Bikes frame so nothing fancy, gotta swap the stem and bars geo is way outta wack. Gonna tweak a few other things here and there. Add a rack so I can carry the board. Not a terrible set up for $85

Quote from: DaveFuck
youre fucking FRIED if you think im gonna listen to dan corrigan talk about cariuma

weon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 227
  • todo gratis todo gay
« Reply #1348 on: May 19, 2020, 12:26:12 PM »
Scooped this up Friday from a non profit in the city. They fix up bikes and sell em, take the money and help get people bikes that can't afford em. http://www.urbanbikeproject.com/

SE Bikes frame so nothing fancy, gotta swap the stem and bars geo is way outta wack. Gonna tweak a few other things here and there. Add a rack so I can carry the board. Not a terrible set up for $85

rad biking project, and a steal of a bike really.

selling my commuter. we had great times but it’s time for me to move on. thinking geared hybrid or mb, we’ll see what we can find on resale.
Lil' Wayne is more core than Jaden Smith.
Damn. Chico of Chocolate now Pyramids of Giza. What the hell is going on?

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 264
  • tiger style
« Reply #1349 on: May 20, 2020, 02:02:51 PM »
got a new bike and found some sick trails in my neighborhood

i haven't hit either one of these yet, my neighbor just told me where they were. now i've got some stuff to work up too.