Author Topic: bikes  (Read 309138 times)

_UniversalTruth_

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 42
Re: bikes
« Reply #2910 on: January 23, 2023, 10:34:26 AM »
I've become kind of obsessed with riding bikes since I am getting older. Started with a single speed, then a used Brother Kepler gravel bike but then I wanted more speed so now I ordered a race bike, the Rose Xlite 4 seems to have good value for money, can't wait :)

i likes skooterboarding.. be lets friends :)

_UniversalTruth_

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2911 on: January 24, 2023, 08:08:29 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Who here runs a power meter? Really worth it? I like riding and pushing myself, but I’m not racing so I feel like it’s not really a necessity.
[close]

I've used one in the past, but for me it's not really worth it unless you're training and racing. It's really best for planning workouts and setting zones (which you can also do with heart rate), otherwise it's just more data to look at. If you do want to try it, I'd recommend starting basic with something like a Stages crank arm. Relatively inexpensive and good enough to train off of.
[close]

I ask because the AXS crank meter option is like an extra $250. I’m semi-leaning that way because I’m trying to train myself to up my cadence and spin better rather than push heavy. That way I can save my knees. Especially when climbing.

If you just want to measure the candence, there is this wahoo sensor which you attach to your wheel axis, no need to build anything

bartlaser

• Rep: 16
« Reply #2912 on: January 27, 2023, 06:16:31 AM »
I've become kind of obsessed with riding bikes since I am getting older. Started with a single speed, then a used Brother Kepler gravel bike but then I wanted more speed so now I ordered a race bike, the Rose Xlite 4 seems to have good value for money, can't wait :)

Long-time lurker and first-time slapper.  This bike forum got me stoked to join.

Rose bikes look like a great deal, and that thing looks super fun.  And I feel you on getting older (in the fall, I turn 40).  I've been skating for 30 years, but in the last handful, I've steadily been diving deeper into the lycra lifestyle.  It's funny because when I was a younger skate rat driving around with my friends, we'd heckle cyclists from the car with comments like "nice shorts!".  Glad I got over that bullshit.  Now it's more fun heckling the skate homies at the park when I buzz by on the path.  It's all for shits and giggles, though.  Here's my speed machine and climb chomper.  I cannot wait for warmer days.  Lake Champlain in the background, taken from the Vermont side.

Joust Ostrich

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 670
  • Speculatnaciousness?
« Reply #2913 on: January 27, 2023, 02:36:53 PM »
Nice, welcome.  Shout out to Jerico Center and Mt Mansfield.

I wonder if the Canyon Aero is a play on the Canyonero from the simpsons. 
I'm posting from my blackberry wtf?!?!?

cky enthusiast

« Reply #2914 on: January 27, 2023, 03:42:47 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Long-time lurker and first-time slapper.  This bike forum got me stoked to join.

Rose bikes look like a great deal, and that thing looks super fun.  And I feel you on getting older (in the fall, I turn 40).  I've been skating for 30 years, but in the last handful, I've steadily been diving deeper into the lycra lifestyle.  It's funny because when I was a younger skate rat driving around with my friends, we'd heckle cyclists from the car with comments like "nice shorts!".  Glad I got over that bullshit.  Now it's more fun heckling the skate homies at the park when I buzz by on the path.  It's all for shits and giggles, though.  Here's my speed machine and climb chomper.  I cannot wait for warmer days.  Lake Champlain in the background, taken from the Vermont side.

i went full circle.. was a skate rat all though my time as a bike messenger, stopped working and got 100% into training and racing, then started working at a shop and sold my race bike and my road bike and went back to skating. i still commute by bike and ride my MTB but i couldn’t deal with being around roadies. too upriver.

_UniversalTruth_

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2915 on: January 28, 2023, 02:21:40 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

i went full circle.. was a skate rat all though my time as a bike messenger, stopped working and got 100% into training and racing, then started working at a shop and sold my race bike and my road bike and went back to skating. i still commute by bike and ride my MTB but i couldn’t deal with being around roadies. too upriver.

Wane Brady, wow, that‘s a long time skating! I totally get it how stupid bikers look to skaters, especially road/race bikes. But look at that Canyon, what a beauty. Being a mamil (middle aged man in lycra) doesn‘t have to be an insult, it should be a compliment ;) Rose and Canyon were the first brands to market bikes themselves instead of other shops (funnily from Germany, close to where I live), that‘s why they are „affordable“…

bartlaser, yeah it is a consistent process to find out what you want to do on a bike and who you want to sorround yourself with. Racing always seemed stupid to me, people get so overambitious about it, shave their legs etc. On the other hand you have those who are just rolling around to enjoy the landscape or whatever or trying tricks. For me, I think it‘s going to be a mix of fun and a battleing myself on speed and distance. Bmx is more incompatible with skating for me because when I go, I want to be on the board. So if I can‘t find good people on roadbikes (using strava), I‘ll just go on my own. But there all kinds of people on different bikes, not everyone fits the typical stereotypes.

bartlaser

« Reply #2916 on: January 28, 2023, 05:47:43 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

Wane Brady, wow, that‘s a long time skating! I totally get it how stupid bikers look to skaters, especially road/race bikes. But look at that Canyon, what a beauty. Being a mamil (middle aged man in lycra) doesn‘t have to be an insult, it should be a compliment ;) Rose and Canyon were the first brands to market bikes themselves instead of other shops (funnily from Germany, close to where I live), that‘s why they are „affordable“…

bartlaser, yeah it is a consistent process to find out what you want to do on a bike and who you want to sorround yourself with. Racing always seemed stupid to me, people get so overambitious about it, shave their legs etc. On the other hand you have those who are just rolling around to enjoy the landscape or whatever or trying tricks. For me, I think it‘s going to be a mix of fun and a battleing myself on speed and distance. Bmx is more incompatible with skating for me because when I go, I want to be on the board. So if I can‘t find good people on roadbikes (using strava), I‘ll just go on my own. But there all kinds of people on different bikes, not everyone fits the typical stereotypes.

Even though I have a race bike, I don't enter races.  And I mostly ride solo.  The Ultimate is surprisingly comfortable, and I really love the feeling of instant power when you want to give it the berries.

My favorite is going on a long ride fueled by edibles and scenic views.  Suffer in places to see what your made of and chill/recover in other parts of the ride.  I have no idea what my FTP is.  It is what is it.  I feel like a carry the spirit I have towards skating into riding.

cky enthusiast

« Reply #2917 on: January 28, 2023, 06:18:10 AM »
you should eat edibles and then do a crit

some of the most psychedelic moments i’ve ever had were covering corners before bell lap while high as a kite

tadej Pog

• Rep: -527
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #2918 on: January 29, 2023, 04:09:30 PM »
Only mistake on those pals bikes are disc brakes.
Miss you Rusty Berings

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1076
« Reply #2919 on: January 29, 2023, 04:52:38 PM »

Nothing whatsoever wrong with disc brakes. Go do your Rivendell-posting elsewhere.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

skateboardnorth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 28
« Reply #2920 on: January 30, 2023, 02:22:55 PM »
Explain why?  I've been riding mountain bikes my entire life and disc brakes are so much better than rim brakes.  I would imagine they have great benefits on road bikes as well.  Mainly on wheel design.  Old carbon rims had to have aluminum surfaces for braking which comes with drawbacks.  Disc brakes allow rims to be designed using full carbon which allows more freedom of design. 

tadej Pog

« Reply #2921 on: January 30, 2023, 06:53:57 PM »
Nothing wrong with discs in Mtb. But they are not for roads. Expensive and complex maintenance, sudden braking on hills. Most falls suffered by athletes in hills were due to sudden brakings. Chris Froome refused it at the limit, but the industry and corps won the war.

Rims are simple, lighters and clean.
Miss you Rusty Berings

cky enthusiast

« Reply #2922 on: January 30, 2023, 07:40:38 PM »
expensive and complex matinence?!

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2923 on: January 31, 2023, 05:08:10 AM »
Nothing wrong with discs in Mtb. But they are not for roads. Expensive and complex maintenance, sudden braking on hills. Most falls suffered by athletes in hills were due to sudden brakings. Chris Froome refused it at the limit, but the industry and corps won the war.

Since they are used regularly on road bikes, they are in fact for roads.

bartlaser

« Reply #2924 on: January 31, 2023, 05:32:30 AM »
I appreciate the wider tire clearance I get with disc brakes.  The roads are pretty shit around me, and most of my rides include a good chunk of dirt/gravel roads.  More than half of VT roads aren't paved, so the 32s Im running help cut down the chatter, adding a little extra comfort. 

If I lived in a land of pristine pavement and dry conditions, I'd be less concerned about having discs.  Rim brakes would be fine, I imagine.

tadej Pog

« Reply #2925 on: January 31, 2023, 06:00:02 AM »
Remember when all the teams were in disc brakes in 2021, but  UAE was on rims for the climbs and they won it. If rims has a least performance than discs it could not ever happen. Thats all bullshit to selling new products and keep the wheel going (as new trek madone with that butt hole). About wet hills: 1% of roaders get out when it is raining, thats the truth. (its raining, man. I'll back to my bed)
Miss you Rusty Berings

skateboardnorth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 28
« Reply #2926 on: January 31, 2023, 06:38:42 AM »

You say expensive and complex maintenance, but you are forgetting that changing pads and rotors is cheaper than replacing an entire rim when the breaking surface wears out. My dad has an older S-works and he is dealing with that issue right now. He’s debating on just selling the bike because new rims are worth more than the bike at this point.  You also mention “sudden braking”. That is caused by either lack of experience, or bad brake setup. You can set the bite point if you know what you are doing. I have even learned a trick to set a bite point on brakes that don’t have that little dial on the lever. It’s all in how you bleed them.

ungzilla

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 993
« Reply #2927 on: January 31, 2023, 07:03:52 AM »
bike racing grand tours is not real life, discs are one million percent fine and good

Beeda Weeda

« Reply #2928 on: January 31, 2023, 07:43:50 AM »
i got discs, they work great and look cool, especially on my gravel bike, I can't imagine not having discs
I feel like, if it rolls and you like it, enjoy it.

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2929 on: January 31, 2023, 08:25:05 AM »
Remember when all the teams were in disc brakes in 2021, but  UAE was on rims for the climbs and they won it. If rims has a least performance than discs it could not ever happen. Thats all bullshit to selling new products and keep the wheel going (as new trek madone with that butt hole). About wet hills: 1% of roaders get out when it is raining, thats the truth. (its raining, man. I'll back to my bed)

I was a bike mechanic in the Pacific Northwest for 12 years and I saw rims worn through due to rain and road grit on a literal daily basis.

BartHarleyJarvis

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1156
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #2930 on: January 31, 2023, 08:46:29 AM »

Can we take a moment to appreciate the claim that tadej pogacar won the Tour de France because he had rim brakes and not because he’s going to be the greatest cyclist of his generation?? As if, had he been riding a tarmac with disc brakes he would’ve been jettisoned out the back of the peloton LOL. Well done, amazing post, no notes….
« Last Edit: January 31, 2023, 09:21:12 AM by BartHarleyJarvis »

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2931 on: January 31, 2023, 08:50:26 AM »
Anti-disc brake people are to bikes what old school deck riders are to skateboarding.

BartHarleyJarvis

• SLAP Pal
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #2932 on: January 31, 2023, 09:22:02 AM »
Anti-disc brake people are to bikes what old school deck riders are to skateboarding.

Guy still runs a triple because 1x-2x drivetrains are "too complicated"

TastyBurrito

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 552
« Reply #2933 on: January 31, 2023, 11:43:42 AM »

I ride old school boards and like disc brakes, so what does that say about me?

BartHarleyJarvis

• SLAP Pal
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #2934 on: January 31, 2023, 12:17:29 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

TastyBurrito

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 552
« Reply #2935 on: January 31, 2023, 12:59:27 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Is..is…is that an image of autism?

BartHarleyJarvis

• SLAP Pal
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #2936 on: January 31, 2023, 01:10:04 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Is..is…is that an image of autism?

No! Sorry it's the Galaxy Brain meme. I meant it as like, you're fully evolved, your third eye is open.

GumOnMyGrip

• Trade Count: (+36)
  • Rep: 231
« Reply #2937 on: January 31, 2023, 01:26:25 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Can we take a moment to appreciate the claim that tadej pogacar won the Tour de France because he had rim brakes and not because he’s going to be the greatest cyclist of his generation?? As if, had he been riding a tarmac with disc brakes he would’ve been jettisoned out the back of the peloton LOL. Well done, amazing post, no notes….

To the OP
Bikes in the professional ranks will be set up to the minimum UCI weight. Especially on a climbing stage.If they have rim brakes or disc they are going to weigh as little as legally possible. Therefore they will all weigh the same. No advantage for either. If you are talking about drag that’s not going to matter enough either. Dim take.

It’s the engine not the bike. You should be more worried about what’s in their blood than what type of setup they’re riding. That is the truth.

tadej Pog

« Reply #2938 on: January 31, 2023, 01:47:13 PM »
Ride in your shit as discs man. Buy Trek butt hole too.... many dentists in this thread.
Miss you Rusty Berings

Síota

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 810
« Reply #2939 on: January 31, 2023, 01:58:54 PM »
Man my car has rear drum brakes, I've seen we the people made a bmx with disk brakes. And Rubin at T1 making a bmx with suspension.
I'm grand with my dunks on my rear wheel as a brake.