Author Topic: Zion of Nike  (Read 36577 times)

Pete

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 707
  • Free Max B
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Zion of Nike
« Reply #270 on: July 12, 2021, 05:53:55 AM »
haha damn did vans new zealand post that before the straight up vans account did? someone just lost their internship.

i wonder what actually happened with nike. of all the people they continue to send free shit and resellable dunks to/ possibly even pay, they get rid of the kid going to the olympics. but what do i know

free max b
FREE MAX B

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1078
« Reply #271 on: July 12, 2021, 06:18:27 AM »
haha damn did vans new zealand post that before the straight up vans account did? someone just lost their internship.

i wonder what actually happened with nike. of all the people they continue to send free shit and resellable dunks to/ possibly even pay, they get rid of the kid going to the olympics. but what do i know

free max b

they got Nyjah, Yuto, sky, Leticia, Rune, and Shane. That's who I can think of off the top of my head. Nike is pretty well represented.

versacekid420

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1232
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #272 on: July 12, 2021, 06:20:49 AM »
damn, his welcome clip was a one up or currens ender in propeller lol.

Ziad

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -103
    • bouklao.com avatar image
« Reply #273 on: July 12, 2021, 09:05:53 AM »
zion on crocs

doublesteveburger

« Reply #274 on: July 12, 2021, 09:15:01 AM »
Yeahh

White midle class guy brand is trying to get tha flavor.

They already have Ray Barbee and he doesn’t wear a redbull hat

Aatila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -305
« Reply #275 on: July 12, 2021, 09:20:34 AM »

free max b

Yeah you’re on to something I feel the same way. Did he (agent) ask for more money and they said nah so he dipped?

TastyBurrito

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 546
« Reply #276 on: July 12, 2021, 09:22:03 AM »
Wonder how many hopeful pro flows did Zion leap frog?

Haha. Jack Olsen probably thinking “he leaped frogged me again.”

shannamal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 353
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #277 on: July 12, 2021, 09:23:09 AM »
Yeahh

jesus. they can't win apparently.

if they don't have enough people of color on, they're racist. if they add one of the most talented skaters on, who happens to be black? "White midle class guy brand is trying to get tha flavor."

sick

i don’t think any of you are real, i think slap was invented by my mom to make me think people want to talk to me

TastyBurrito

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #278 on: July 12, 2021, 10:04:30 AM »
Curious if a Zion Pro model (or at minimum a Zion Pro colorway) was part of his deal?

I feel like that was probably one of many deciding factors for him leaving Nike.

alecjahr

• Rep: -109
« Reply #279 on: July 12, 2021, 10:12:22 AM »
Vans skate Instagram just posted a welcome to the team.

Swithflip

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -748
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #280 on: July 12, 2021, 10:50:27 AM »
Expand Quote
Yeahh

[close]

if they don't have enough people of color on, they're racist. if they add one of the most talented skaters on, who happens to be black? "White midle class guy brand is trying to get tha flavor."

sick

Man, how many black skaters Es got... I bet is less than vans, but És dont have that image. Its not because vans and themselves, its about their public.

Like people posted before, Skott Kane, Batien, Jay Lay, Van Wastell era was more interesting

versacekid420

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #281 on: July 12, 2021, 11:02:45 AM »
Curious if a Zion Pro model (or at minimum a Zion Pro colorway) was part of his deal?

I feel like that was probably one of many deciding factors for him leaving Nike.
i really don’t feel like he “left” nike. i can’t believe this is still up for debate. from his post and just common sense, you don’t just leave that paycheck.

HiResDes

• Rep: -39
« Reply #282 on: July 12, 2021, 11:05:29 AM »
I was a huge fan of this kid but then came the Red Bull visors and dressing like Wesley Snipes in Demolition Man and his skating became less enjoyable.

I just hated his song pick so much in the Godspeed video thought it wrecked the flow of the video even though the skating was obviously incredible.

figureitout

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -138
« Reply #283 on: July 12, 2021, 11:40:00 AM »
Austyn Gillette>Zion Wright

Vans jumping all over that olympic visibility, that contract came quick.

I didn't picture the olympics to be an important part of Vans marketing but eyes are eyes, and dollars are dollars i guess.

Vans>Nike

LURKIN RENOIR

« Reply #284 on: July 12, 2021, 11:50:24 AM »
Not american, so I have to ask.  Is there Laws in the USA that stipulates that companies should treat people different due to the color of their skin? Seems Kind of rasist to me.

TastyBurrito

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #285 on: July 12, 2021, 12:17:25 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
i really don’t feel like he “left” nike. i can’t believe this is still up for debate. from his post and just common sense, you don’t just leave that paycheck.

I will say this, if Vans approached Zion w/ a poaching mentality, the prospect of a pro model/color means residuals on top of a check. Zion probably went to Nike with the info, expecting a counter offer, and when Nike didn't match, he walked.

Zion treats skateboarding like a business, so, in my head, that kind of negotiation would take place. Especially seeing he knows his worth (Olympian status included) he knew he can always score another big name shoe sponsor.

A lot of other skaters don't have that kind of bargaining chip, but he does.

zahed

• Rep: -24
« Reply #286 on: July 12, 2021, 12:52:09 PM »
Crucify me Slap, but i'll definitely be tuned into the Olympics. A gold medal for Zion in Park and for Dashawn in Street would be extremely sick.

versacekid420

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #287 on: July 12, 2021, 12:57:25 PM »
Crucify me Slap, but i'll definitely be tuned into the Olympics. A gold medal for Zion in Park and for Dashawn in Street would be extremely sick.
dude we’ll all be watching. this is literally insane that skating will be in the olympics.

WavyDavy

• Rep: 128
« Reply #288 on: July 12, 2021, 01:11:00 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

I will say this, if Vans approached Zion w/ a poaching mentality, the prospect of a pro model/color means residuals on top of a check. Zion probably went to Nike with the info, expecting a counter offer, and when Nike didn't match, he walked.

Zion treats skateboarding like a business, so, in my head, that kind of negotiation would take place. Especially seeing he knows his worth (Olympian status included) he knew he can always score another big name shoe sponsor.

Does he have a manager or something like that in who handles all his sponsorships?

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1087
« Reply #289 on: July 12, 2021, 01:26:31 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

[close]

Does he have a manager or something like that in who handles all his sponsorships?

There’s not a single professional athlete with an energy drink sponsor who does not have a manager.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

TastyBurrito

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #290 on: July 12, 2021, 01:36:00 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

There’s not a single professional athlete with an energy drink sponsor who does not have a manager.

I think he, and a lot of the Florida skaters, all working with The Boardr. Dudes who helped start SPoT, then started managing and repping skaters – mostly Floridians as that's where they're based.

(Nine Club episode of dude who started The Boardr)

shannamal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 353
« Reply #291 on: July 12, 2021, 01:51:31 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Yeahh

[close]

sick
[close]

Man, how many black skaters Es got... I bet is less than vans, but És dont have that image. Its not because vans and themselves, its about their public.

Like people posted before, Skott Kane, Batien, Jay Lay, Van Wastell era was more interesting
[close]
"skateboarding was better when I was younger." such fascinating insight. do you have a substack where we could read more?

got his ass with that substack reference, nice work

i don’t think any of you are real, i think slap was invented by my mom to make me think people want to talk to me

Swithflip

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -748
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #292 on: July 12, 2021, 02:28:11 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Yeahh

[close]

sick
[close]

[close]
"skateboarding was better when I was younger." such fascinating insight. do you have a substack where we could read more?
[close]

got his ass with that substack reference, nice work

I bet you both agree with me, just trying to do a cool reply..unless Tyson, Curren and Kyle Walker are better than old team.

urbneathme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 282
« Reply #293 on: July 12, 2021, 02:29:20 PM »
dashawn is not on the olympic team so it seems unlikely he will win a medal

zahed

• Rep: -24
« Reply #294 on: July 12, 2021, 03:07:15 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
dashawn is not on the olympic team so it seems unlikely he will win a medal

you are correct, i thought it was top 5 in street. fuck!

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 260
« Reply #295 on: July 12, 2021, 03:13:57 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
dude we’ll all be watching. this is literally insane that skating will be in the olympics.

Is it?   It’s a skateboarding contest that’ll be on TV.   That hasn’t been that shocking of a thing since the start of the XGames in what 96?    And I’m sure it got national exposure in the 80s. 

Now if you said it’s insane breakdancing will be in the Olympics like it will be next time, then I’m on board

BugleBites

• Rep: -68
« Reply #296 on: July 12, 2021, 03:30:33 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

Is it?   It’s a skateboarding contest that’ll be on TV.   That hasn’t been that shocking of a thing since the start of the XGames in what 96?    And I’m sure it got national exposure in the 80s. 

Now if you said it’s insane breakdancing will be in the Olympics like it will be next time, then I’m on board

It’s probably a big deal to sports fans who have been conditioned to believe that certain events are incredibly important. As a non sports fan, the olympics is just another competition I have no interest in.

JimGeko

• Rep: -38
« Reply #297 on: July 12, 2021, 04:05:31 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]

It’s probably a big deal to sports fans who have been conditioned to believe that certain events are incredibly important. As a non sports fan, the olympics is just another competition I have no interest in.

Sports are stupid.
What do you say on a Slap signature?

I DON"T KNOW!

MASHED POTATO * APPLE SAUCE * BUTTERY... BISCUITS.

https://ephmedia.giphy.com/4e27e798-9a5d-4df3-87ba-b18f905e055a.gif

sometimeperhaps

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 143
« Reply #298 on: July 12, 2021, 04:14:03 PM »
If I somehow remember it’s on and am free at the right time I might turn it on, just because I’m curious. But I’m sure the terrible announcing and overall Olympic-ness of it will have me last a couple minutes.

I am looking forward to the threads that pops up here and will likely get a few good laughs. Can’t wait to see some stylin threads.

versacekid420

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #299 on: July 12, 2021, 05:55:05 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

Sports are stupid.
im not a sports fan, nor am i a street league/xgames/whatever else is out there fan, but it’s the fucking olympics.  if we weren’t somewhat interested, it wouldn’t be one of the most talked about things up here, but it is and so that to me seems like we’re all a little curious and you’d be lying if you said we weren’t gonna at least try to watch it.