Author Topic: Breaking vegetarian/vegan diet  (Read 595 times)

Blind Fisherman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 63
Breaking vegetarian/vegan diet
« on: September 14, 2023, 01:27:07 PM »
So, I've been a vegetarian for about 5 years now and have been debating on whether or not I should break it and go back to eating chicken and fish to get the protein and other nutrients I might be missing out on. I'm coming back from a long-term injury and trying to rebuild the muscle I lost in that time, and I feel like the animal proteins might help speed up the process.
My question to former vegans/veggies, what should I expect if I do break the diet after this long? Will I be shitting my brains out on a daily basis until my body becomes acclimated to digesting meat again?

Underpressureflips

• Rep: 45
Re: Breaking vegetarian/vegan diet
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2023, 11:57:49 AM »
So, I've been a vegetarian for about 5 years now and have been debating on whether or not I should break it and go back to eating chicken and fish to get the protein and other nutrients I might be missing out on. I'm coming back from a long-term injury and trying to rebuild the muscle I lost in that time, and I feel like the animal proteins might help speed up the process.
My question to former vegans/veggies, what should I expect if I do break the diet after this long? Will I be shitting my brains out on a daily basis until my body becomes acclimated to digesting meat again?

This doesn’t really answer your question, but I’m a plant based guy and I also weight train/get mad swole. There’s no real need or benefit to animal proteins. Just focus on hitting your macros every day.

macho taildrop

• Rep: 22
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2023, 01:04:05 PM »
I was a pescatarian (who ate fish maybe 4-5 times a year) for about 8 years, and I broke with it about 11 years ago.The only thing that happened was I gained weight in body fat because I was eating a bunch of calorie dense junk food that was previously off limits. Part of that was also because I quit smoking cigs and probably used snacks as crutch, but otherwise I don't think that much changed. I did not get the poops or anything, and in fact I was less regular from consuming less fiber.

That being said, I cut red meat from my diet again a few months ago and am eating mostly vegetarian. I do a kettlebell routine and bike 4 miles to/from work each way 5-days a week, and I haven't noticed any kind of lag in my stamina or recovery time or anything like that.

As the above poster said, you don't need meat to get adequate nutrients. If that's the only reason you might be doing it, then just stick with it.

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 803
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2023, 01:10:04 PM »
I was a vegan from age 18 to 30 and slowly reintroduced animal products at that point. I started farting less, lost weight,  felt full (satisfied) sooner and my mental clarity sharpened pretty rapidly. No down sides aside from my cholesterol creeping up( probably bc I went a little crazy on the dairy at first). I now try to limit meat and dairy but do not avoid it. Finding the right balance can be tricky in this all or nothing existence. Everyone is different but veganism and vegetarianism  does not work for all.  I know I do better physically and mentally with some limited animal fats but fully understand the way we treat and consume animals remains deplorable.

Sila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 336
  • Jamu Gost
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2023, 01:11:00 PM »
There's enough protein in nuts, eggs (if you're not vegan), beans, tofu, tempeh etc. to help you recover. But if you're concerned I'd be adding a protein powder to your diet aswell. I've been through something similar before and I was eating meat a few times a week because it was an easier/faster way to help me feel more satiated. I went back to a veggie diet pretty fast and added a few protein smoothies a day and the meat cravings definitely backed off.

pool coping

• Rep: -63
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2023, 01:47:51 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

This doesn’t really answer your question, but I’m a plant based guy and I also weight train/get mad swole. There’s no real need or benefit to animal proteins. Just focus on hitting your macros every day.

what are your 1rms?

Rusty Shackleford

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 124
  • you know about goretex?
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2023, 03:34:37 PM »
lots of great plant protein options out there..I use either sun warrior or om mushroom blend powder for early morning shakes. clif has a 20g bar line that's pretty awesome and uses a soy isolate

addie pray

• Rep: -527
  • u a whole goofy
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2023, 05:39:37 PM »
break a vegetarian diet? eternity in hell. your choice

IUTSM

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1413
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2023, 09:13:11 PM »
I feel incredibly better when im off the animal flesh and processed sugars. But damnit, i am hooked again.

Best shape i was ever in was when all i ate were quinoa, lentils, black beans, and spinach with nuts, braggs, and nooch.
Well-defined ambiguity, I'm already on somebody's list as a casualty

EdLawndale

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1102
    • My Wife avatar image
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2023, 09:52:39 PM »
I've been a pescetarian for a year. Maybe try to reintroduce fish and, if it doesn't go against your religion, shellfish and see how that goes?

Idk why you chose to be a vegan/vegetarian but I chose to do so to not contribute to the demand for animals being processed as food (though, again, I eat fish and shellfish). I don't think I could go back now. I had a couple of bad injuries when I first dropped meat, but made the connection that I wasn't really getting much, if any, protein (would just eat bean and rice burritos, chile relano, etc.). Once I started ensuring to incorporate protein like fish and tofu and beyond/impossible meat, I have felt a lot stronger and healthier.

Good luck.
"Was just about to say, wtf is up with this EdLawndale guy?"

Síota

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 807
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2023, 02:54:01 AM »
Been veggie for  7 years or so as others have mentioned there is heaps of plant based protein options.
I couldn't go back. Beans and rice rule and I always snack on cashews or pistachios. Plus now there is tonnes of fake meat shit even burger king here has plant based burgers if your starving.

Giftedly Hater’d

• Rep: 415
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2023, 04:24:53 AM »
What’s the injury you’re recovering from? Debeaking? Battery cage sores?

Just (grimly) kidding, but…

Full acknowledgement to the idea that whatever the sustainable-for-you long terms limits you can put on animal consumption is arguably the path that will have the most positive impact, but like other said on here, remember why you chose a plant-centric diet to begin with and weigh that against your own personal wants and/needs. Options are (sometimes cost prohibitive at the current scale, but) more bountiful than they’ve ever been.

It’s the right choice for me with no regrets, but I will say I had a tinge of jealousy at the poster who said they farted less when they “broke”.  8)

sharkjumper

• Rep: 40
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2023, 10:58:19 AM »
Vegetarian/vegan diets do tend to have less protein, but those diets are still get you more than enough protein.

Here’s a study about it. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6893534/

The TLDR; Most western diets that are balanced provide ample protein.

Noble Experiment

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 284
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2023, 01:08:56 PM »
I transition between diets a lot, right now I’m on a high protein and fat, low carb diet. Noticed a boost in energy and mood thus far, been also feeling less sluggish and bloated and noticed my clothes fitting less tight and more comfortably too. Was eating way too many carbs these last couple months and was feeling really sluggish all the time and bloated as well, so I had to cut back on it for a bit which sucks cuz carby foods are my favorite lol.
Sorry, I guess I didn’t answer your question, but I would just look it up on YouTube, there’s a lot of really good health channels that go in depth on explaining that kinda stuff. Some of those channels can be a bit nutty and kooky with the advice they give though so tread carefully.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1582
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2023, 02:48:15 PM »
As much as diet is extremely important, it's also another narrative which people use to help whatever is going on upstairs....

What's with dudes being so obsessed with protein by the way......

in love w/ fs shuvs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 113
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2023, 04:21:58 PM »
i broke that shit and gained like 15 lbs

break a vegetarian diet? eternity in hell. your choice

EdLawndale

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1102
    • My Wife avatar image
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2023, 04:25:44 PM »
What's with dudes being so obsessed with protein by the way......

username checks out
"Was just about to say, wtf is up with this EdLawndale guy?"

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1084
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2023, 04:33:41 PM »
I recently started eating fish after more than 25 years as a vegetarian. I don’t see myself moving on to chicken or beef, but I don’t regret my decision at all.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021