Author Topic: what happened to Jacob Ovgrens art on Polar?  (Read 10635 times)

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 158
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
Re: what happened to Jacob Ovgrens art on Polar?
« Reply #30 on: August 29, 2017, 07:15:12 PM »
wait what, someone is gunna hate on passport?
#onlyonslap

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

himlor

• Rep: 18
« Reply #31 on: August 29, 2017, 07:39:28 PM »
Expand Quote
I cannot believe anyone think Polar has bad art direction...what?

I've said this a million times on here but Polar is one of the most important companies in skateboarding right now.
People pine for the glory days of Crail but that ship has sailed and the guard has changed hands. Polar is embodying skateboarding in this era, and it's incredible. Pontus has a beautiful vision of what skateboarding is at its heart, and also the means to express his vision to the hundreds of thousands (if not millions?) of people. Considering the state of skateboarding right now with energy drinks, the olympics, and just general "sportification" of the culture, I feel pretty good about what he and Polar are putting out into the world for young kids to see.

Jacob is a great artist and also has an insanely nice kickflip. His footage in "I like it here..." is amazing.
[close]
Skateboarding is so diverse now that this is a ridiculous statement. I don't disagree that Pontus has done rad things but Polar fans tend to be those who have some grandiose creative vision of skateboarding.......and dudes who are just tryhard artsy coolguys.  Crail and krooked still produce the best graphics in skateboarding.

himlor

• Rep: 18
« Reply #32 on: August 29, 2017, 07:41:03 PM »
#onlyonslap

right? of alllllll the companies to just throw out there..

colt cannon lunchbox

• Rep: -92
« Reply #33 on: August 29, 2017, 08:03:07 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I never liked these graphics.
[close]
Same. Polar is way overrated. It's not a bad company, just very meh to me. Somehow got rated cool by coolguys and there you go.
Passport too.
Bring the hate coolguys!!!
[close]

Seriously ?

These graphics are not distinctly polar, I can think of at least 5 other companies that are making graphics that look the same as this.

Jacob's stuff gave the brand identity - no one was doing graphics like this at the time (yes i realise how similar they were to old world graphics, fucked up blind kids etc) but they were funny and original. I feel like polar was at its best in the lead up to their last video, now they sponsor Nick Boserio and have boring graphics, perhaps they may end up just like cliche?

If it ain't broke don't fix it

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 158
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #34 on: August 29, 2017, 08:12:37 PM »
wait what, someone is gunna hate on passport nick boserio?
#onlyonslap

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

Pappy Jones

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 157
« Reply #35 on: August 29, 2017, 11:55:30 PM »
Are ya'll serious with this shit? Polar's art direction has never disappointed me, every contribution has been good if not an instant classic. Jacob's stuff was definitely special in my opinion. Something I'm surprised hasn't been mentioned is an Instagram post made awhile back by Polar basically saying they really missed Jacob and didn't even know where he was and wished him all the best wherever he was at. Pontus didn't make an executive decision to cut Jakke's art and he's still a big fan of it. Don't know what's up with Stefan Narancic but Pontus still has lots of art contributors besides himself. There was the AMTK series, art by Dane Brady, Nick Boserio's wife, Kevin Rodrigues when he was still on, shit he even produced boards with a drawing done by Dane's lil friend Emile. I like Pontus' art too but he is by no means "cutting the art dept" as someone implied.
Also, above poster, I'd love for you've to show just one example of the five companies producing boards similar to the AMTK series.
Can't believe anyone would hate on Passport either. SLAP is a strange place. Sorry for lengthy post.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2017, 11:58:08 PM by Pappy Jones »

Thomas

• Rep: 20
  • no pop no style
« Reply #36 on: August 30, 2017, 12:23:58 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
Same. Polar is way overrated. It's not a bad company, just very meh to me. Somehow got rated cool by coolguys and there you go.
Passport too.
[close]

Seriously ?

[close]

These graphics are not distinctly polar, I can think of at least 5 other companies that are making graphics that look the same as this.

Jacob's stuff gave the brand identity - no one was doing graphics like this at the time (yes i realise how similar they were to old world graphics, fucked up blind kids etc) but they were funny and original. I feel like polar was at its best in the lead up to their last video, now they sponsor Nick Boserio and have boring graphics, perhaps they may end up just like cliche?

These graphics are not from Jacob, it's a collab with swedish artists Andrew Mazorol and Tynan Kerr.
I agree with Jacob graphics giving Polar's identity, but these AMTK series were all brilliant in my opinion.
Possibilities are everywhere, search and enjoy.

alraunen

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 247
    • www.davidcampillo.net avatar image
« Reply #37 on: August 30, 2017, 12:45:37 AM »
100% Agree that polar is getting a little bit boring, but for me, Polar is amazing because they're the easiest way to find a Generator board in almost every size everywhere.

getonkrooked

• Rep: -104
« Reply #38 on: August 30, 2017, 01:28:06 AM »
Are ya'll serious with this shit? Polar's art direction has never disappointed me, every contribution has been good if not an instant classic. Jacob's stuff was definitely special in my opinion. Something I'm surprised hasn't been mentioned is an Instagram post made awhile back by Polar basically saying they really missed Jacob and didn't even know where he was and wished him all the best wherever he was at. Pontus didn't make an executive decision to cut Jakke's art and he's still a big fan of it. Don't know what's up with Stefan Narancic but Pontus still has lots of art contributors besides himself. There was the AMTK series, art by Dane Brady, Nick Boserio's wife, Kevin Rodrigues when he was still on, shit he even produced boards with a drawing done by Dane's lil friend Emile. I like Pontus' art too but he is by no means "cutting the art dept" as someone implied.
Also, above poster, I'd love for you've to show just one example of the five companies producing boards similar to the AMTK series.
Can't believe anyone would hate on Passport either. SLAP is a strange place. Sorry for lengthy post.

What's up with that dude? He was popping up all over the Polar dudes' insta for a while, I think he even had his own account. Everyone seemed hyped on him and posted some clips too and now it all seems gone.

colt cannon lunchbox

« Reply #39 on: August 30, 2017, 03:19:05 AM »
https://crailstore.com/collections/new-arrivals-hardgoods/products/chico-brenes-goddess-deck

Here is your one example. Compare the Jerome board to this. Similar, no?

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1572
« Reply #40 on: August 30, 2017, 03:55:38 AM »
100% Agree that polar is getting a little bit boring, but for me, Polar is amazing because they're the easiest way to find a Generator board in almost every size everywhere.

i don't think it's really a matter of polar 'getting boring', just a matter of people getting used to - and eventually tired of - certain given styles of output. can you remember any company or even skater (besides #fredgall) slap used to utterly lose their minds over (in a good way), say, five years ago, that is still unanimously put on just as much of an e-pedestal nowadays ? all of the old universal palace praise - done. most of the magenta / leo valls / jimmy lannon craze - gone (and people are actually starting to talk shit on ben gore too). mindless vx footage worship - for the most part done. and now people are starting to say polar and passport are getting stale, but really they've only been sticking to their most essential formula (rightfully so ?), whereas people just consume art nowadays like they're scrolling through a news feed - wait... they're actually mostly looking at art through their news feed. seeing more board graphics in one day they will ever ride in their whole life.

of course everything is going to start feeling repetitive after a while but i don't think you can really blame it on the work of the content creators / film makers / skaters / graphic artists etc. if anything, given the modern context of effervescent imagery consumption and the constantly accelerated pace of our ever-going quest for 'that new new' (which really is what defines 'fresh' and 'stale' ; as basic consumers, we're always in the demand of something 'new' as to better fill in the blank of a need we didn't even realize existed before it was pointed out to us), companies now have two choices : either enter the race and compete for attention against everybody else playing the game of consistently putting out stuff at the most instantaneous rhythm possible (companies releasing 5 web clips per year, 1 full-length every two years and 4 seasons of 10 to 15 boards + accessories and clothing per year etc...). those really aim at continually renewing themselves and adapting to the market, all the while making sure their following never loses track of their presence which to me seems, in all honestly, challenging as fuck ; magenta, polar, to a lesser extent passport and isle... the ever-so-present risk being, eventually showing too much of the same, or even too much in general. people don't like feeling bombarded with what essentially remains mercantilism (although relative to a field or an enterprise they might relate to in the first place), it essentially makes them feel like they're trying to be taken advantage of or about to get fucked over, thereby resulting in them promptly moving on to wherever the grass appears to be greener (until the same process repeats again, etc.).

and on the other side you have those companies who don't jump into the race and instead keep most everything on the low, evolving at a more normal pace and still managing to cultivate a consistency in terms of imagery as well as putting out new stuff that actually feels just so much fresher everytime specifically thanks to said approach : traffic, hopps, western edition... thing is those companies may in return appeal to a (albeit more sincere and loyal) lesser audience of consistent, core supporters, rather than pretty much making bank off whatever the trend appears to be at the moment.

then again it's a complex issue because in this day and age certain of the most effervescent companies are really good at actually dictating said trends (as opposed to just following them...). for instance, historically magenta has been pioneering (and ironically enough, been less financially successful at) a lot of stuff that has since gone deep (or become staples, even) in skateboarding - mainstream street / city skating resurgence around the time the berrics were the most popular thing, powerslides / body varials, vx resurgence back when everyone else was trying to find their way around hd, apparent wood on certain bottom plies as part of board graphics, minimalism / retro vibe when every big brand was going for cartoonish deck art etc... i guess it's pretty hard to stay at the top of the game for 10 years, especially when you already know everybody's going to be not just biting but straight up feasting off your shit, consuming your identity.

super long post again, whatever. congratulations if you made it this far.

polar will always be cool to everyone who likes it for the right reasons i guess. ie. being a longtime pontus fan, dying to support skater-owned board companies or what do i know - just anyone really getting the gist of it really rather than just 'liking' 'cool' graphics. rest of the crowd will naturally come and go, same goes for anything or anyone. personally never was into jacob ovgren's graphics either, but that's just as far as my tastes are concerned - i could definitely appreciate his work and the imagery pontus was going for by putting it out there.

colt cannon lunchbox

« Reply #41 on: August 30, 2017, 04:14:49 AM »
I agree with a lot of what you just said BUT you kind of missed the point. I for one am not always on the search for 'the new new'
For example Baker has barely changed their art direction since the early 2000s, they are still as relevant as ever?
The baker Ams video they put out has been perhaps the best clip this year?
Every shop I have been into in the last 15 years has had a baker logo board on the wall.

What I was saying a company loses its identity (rendering it stale, not necessarily unpopular) when they change their art direction and team. Polar was an exciting Euro company. I just think them adding a hesh aussie is another example of them losing what once made them special.

redux

• Rep: -5
« Reply #42 on: August 30, 2017, 05:48:25 AM »
Eh, Polar is not that great. No company is that great. They almost always put out something that is bland or mindless. Even Quasi is getting boring and repetitive. The one small company I'm currently jazzed on? I won't tell you.

SodaJerk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1085
  • Butterscotch yo!
« Reply #43 on: August 30, 2017, 05:55:18 AM »
Are ya'll serious  I'm surprised hasn't been mentioned is an Instagram post made awhile back by Polar basically saying they really missed Jacob and didn't even know where he was  SLAP is a strange place.

Chinaski's underpants

• Rep: 1
« Reply #44 on: August 30, 2017, 06:38:59 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
Passport too.
[close]

Seriously ?

[close]

Hey numnuts

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 401
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #45 on: August 30, 2017, 10:09:09 AM »
The one small company I'm currently jazzed on? I won't tell you.

Damn dude. You sure showed us!

SodaJerk

• SLAP Pal
  • Butterscotch yo!
« Reply #46 on: August 30, 2017, 10:16:45 AM »
Expand Quote
The one small company I'm currently jazzed on? I won't tell you.
[close]

Damn dude. You sure showed us!
Doesn't want it blown up.

Mongoloid

« Reply #47 on: August 30, 2017, 10:21:04 AM »
Eh, Polar is not that great. No company is that great. They almost always put out something that is bland or mindless. Even Quasi is getting boring and repetitive. The one small company I'm currently jazzed on? I won't tell you.

Look at Mr. Hipsterpants over here.

GershonSweaty

• Rep: -3
    • @_moreinformation avatar image
« Reply #48 on: August 30, 2017, 11:00:30 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Look at Mr. Hipsterpants over here.

:D I'm guessing something like Carpet co. Although I couldn't care fucking less.

At this point Polar could put anything on a board and spin it so that it was perceived as conceptual. subjective/objective sport/art blah fucking blah blah blah

Its the twenty teens boys get with the times.

slappies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1224
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #49 on: August 30, 2017, 11:09:45 AM »

Is it Polar? I bet it's Polar you're jazzed on.
CRACK RAIDER RAZOR

SodaJerk

• SLAP Pal
  • Butterscotch yo!
« Reply #50 on: August 30, 2017, 11:32:04 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Darkstar

reptar_bar

• Rep: -7
« Reply #51 on: August 30, 2017, 12:07:20 PM »
I almost forgot when Jacob's take on Polar existed. Loved all the little pig graphics. Slightly unrelated, but what happened to Brian Romero and Deathwish? Dude made some really sick series.

redux

• Rep: -5
« Reply #52 on: August 30, 2017, 12:46:51 PM »
Not even, bruuuhhhhh  8)

Does anyone else think the majority of the Polar fans are also in their early 20s and really into Fugazi? I'm listening to Fugazi now and it just seems to fit.

Expand Quote
[close]

Dontfearthereefer

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -232
  • Head kook
« Reply #53 on: August 30, 2017, 02:59:37 PM »
This Brand is for Artsy tryhards who can barely pop shuvit.

that dude on page one is so right

OnSlapAtWork

• Rep: 15
« Reply #54 on: August 30, 2017, 03:21:46 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
Darkstar

Pappy Jones

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 157
« Reply #55 on: August 30, 2017, 08:06:31 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

What's up with that dude? He was popping up all over the Polar dudes' insta for a while, I think he even had his own account. Everyone seemed hyped on him and posted some clips too and now it all seems gone.
Emile goes in and out of using insta. He went to Thailand for a year as a foreign exchange student and now he's back in Portland. I see him around, he's gotten insanely good. Skates really fast. Still hangs with Dane. Still rides Polar boards

Pigeon

« Reply #56 on: August 30, 2017, 08:48:00 PM »
Crail and krooked still produce the best graphics in skateboarding.

Gorgeous

• Rep: -7
« Reply #57 on: August 30, 2017, 11:30:47 PM »
Expand Quote
#onlyonslap
[close]

Attention dumbasses,  

Saying you think something is overrated and meh is not hating on it, but saying you don't understand what the fuss is all about.  
Make sense?

Everyone who thinks they're cool is a wannabe artist and art critic these days. Crail produces some average stuff but they produce some great stuff as well, but they're not cool anymore so therefore their stuff sucks. Their best stuff in the last year or so is more aesthetically pleasing than anything I've seen from your cool companies, I don't give a fuck what you sheep think.

Pigeon

« Reply #58 on: August 31, 2017, 02:42:00 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
#onlyonslap
[close]

[close]

Attention dumbasses,  

Saying you think something is overrated and meh is not hating on it, but saying you don't understand what the fuss is all about.  
Make sense?

Everyone who thinks they're cool is a wannabe artist and art critic these days. Crail produces some average stuff but they produce some great stuff as well, but they're not cool anymore so therefore their stuff sucks. Their best stuff in the last year or so is more aesthetically pleasing than anything I've seen from your cool companies, I don't give a fuck what you sheep think.

Sadly, Real has more aesthetically pleasing decks than Crail. Crailtap has 5-10 decent decks per season, and it's mostly Chocolate. You don't have any love for Todd Francis/Anti-Hero? Go back to the warehouse and pack those soggy, logo decks.

ungzilla

« Reply #59 on: August 31, 2017, 05:02:05 AM »
This Brand is for Artsy tryhards who can barely pop shuvit.

that dude on page one is so right

i'd say this stereotype more accurately applies to welcome