Author Topic: The Indy Thread  (Read 128959 times)

IpathCats

Re: The Indy Thread
« Reply #390 on: December 21, 2022, 07:13:55 AM »
Degros is like Slaps patron saint of gear  madness and I’m about it.

Him and GH are the only SLAP approved 'tubers

LebowskisRug

« Reply #391 on: December 21, 2022, 07:37:30 AM »
He's been back and forth between Thunder and Indy for years. Half the time he actually admits that he wants to ride Indy's because that's what people ride a lot in his area, but that he skates better on Thunders, then rides Thunders again and says he misses the heft of Indy's, then says they're clunky and heavy and he skates better on Thunders....

IpathCats

« Reply #392 on: December 21, 2022, 07:44:17 AM »
He's been back and forth between Thunder and Indy for years. Half the time he actually admits that he wants to ride Indy's because that's what people ride a lot in his area, but that he skates better on Thunders, then rides Thunders again and says he misses the heft of Indy's, then says they're clunky and heavy and he skates better on Thunders....

Yea, there's more to it than just how good you skate, feeling is important.

Lot's of people ride Ace's and admit that they're less consistent on them but they prefer the feel.

I've come to feel a similar way about indys. My pop isnt quite as good on them, neither are my mannys, but all around, they just feel right.

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1076
« Reply #393 on: December 21, 2022, 09:05:32 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Lot's of people ride Ace's and admit that they're less consistent on them but they prefer the feel.

This is me. I probably skate better on Indys or Ventures, but man are Ace just fun to skate.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

LebowskisRug

« Reply #394 on: December 21, 2022, 09:12:06 AM »
Ya I really like swerving on Indys, but I actually like the feel of how I skate fast on Thunders right now so I'm just going with that. I'm sure I'll swap just like Ben in the future. My flip tricks are more solid on Ventures, but that turn is just enjoyable without swapping shit around.

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #395 on: December 21, 2022, 09:15:57 AM »
Ya I really like swerving on Indys, but I actually like the feel of how I skate fast on Thunders right now so I'm just going with that. I'm sure I'll swap just like Ben in the future. My flip tricks are more solid on Ventures, but that turn is just enjoyable without swapping shit around.

Yeah I put some Venture 5.0s on my 8" Primitive deck and immediately kickflipped like ~10" high. I couldn't believe how much better my flip tricks were, but the truth is that I don't care about those tricks and I always get hurt doing them so swerving around doing slappies on Ace trucks it is!

I keep thinking that I'll dust off the Ventures in the spring and spend the warm months of my 42nd year trying to actually like kickflip over the hip at the skatepark or something. We will see.

IpathCats

« Reply #396 on: December 21, 2022, 10:06:04 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

This is me. I probably skate better on Indys or Ventures, but man are Ace just fun to skate.

I feel you, I keep aces on my cruisers for this reason

Sedition

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 690
  • Fuck the revoltion. Bring on the apocalypse.
    • ThePastParticple avatar image
« Reply #397 on: December 21, 2022, 01:40:40 PM »
Hah. This is starting to sound more like the Madness thread than the Indy thread. :)
IG: ThePastParticiple

DLX 8.25  |  144 Forged  |  53mm Classic  |  Super Swiss 6

"Everything has been figured out, except how to live." -Sartre

LebowskisRug

« Reply #398 on: December 21, 2022, 03:09:47 PM »
I mean, a lot of my madness is like "why is it that Indy are the default but I can't make them work?!?! Is it me? It's gotta be me. I mean, I have personal data to suggest I didn't skate as well on them, but maybe now my technique has improved and they will work. They work for Reynolds. He's the GOAT. But Ishod is also the GOAT and is on Thunders..."

Lee Ralphs Dear Old Mum

« Reply #399 on: December 21, 2022, 03:16:13 PM »
Just gave my last pair of Indy's away and feeling pretty stoked about it.

(I do have some Stage 3 131stashed away.. but that's another story...)

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1017
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #400 on: December 21, 2022, 04:16:52 PM »
I flop back and forth. NGL, indy are chunky/hefty to me, but the swerve-yness (like ACE) is very nice (look at Tfunk when he's setting up for tricks), thunder nice and light but wheelbitey...I'm odd in that I don't worry about 'popfeel' I just adjust...takes less than hour ollieing over shit (I have big ollies so it's bash the tail and hope for the best with any truck).

For now, it's Indy since I'm on 54mm wheels and skate loose...that's a deathknell on Thunders for me.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #401 on: December 21, 2022, 05:32:14 PM »
When I say pop feel I mean the timing for flip tricks. Mentally thinking pop back foot/lift front foot, slide and lift back foot, flick.

On Indy there is more distinct delay between pop and drag/flick.  Thunder it's less of a delay and feels more fluid and I tend to flick harder.

spacial_profiling

• Rep: -88
« Reply #402 on: December 21, 2022, 07:03:00 PM »
If you're wanting to size down from 149s would you stop at 144? or go completely down to 139s?
I found my perfect shape. A Quasi 8.125 and I'm deciding which truck is the best for the next 50 bones.
I'm skeptical the 44s may stick out and not make a difference on the weight;
but then again I think 139s might be too small to have that chilled turn and comfy lock on those grinds.

I say keep the 149’s. I tried it on same size Snack similar shape to Quasi (PS Stix) and loved it.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #403 on: December 21, 2022, 07:42:50 PM »
Did you size up to or down to 8.125? Personally I'd go with 144. Such a tiny hot rod. 144's are more nimble than 149's, which would stick out a decent amount.

IpathCats

« Reply #404 on: December 22, 2022, 06:08:27 AM »
Hah. This is starting to sound more like the Madness thread than the Indy thread. :)

I feel like indys are probably the MOST fucked with truck. so madness and indy's kinda go hand in hand. With all the height/weight/size/bushing options offered from indy themselves its pretty easy to go down the madness hole.

I flop back and forth. NGL, indy are chunky/hefty to me, but the swerve-yness (like ACE) is very nice (look at Tfunk when he's setting up for tricks), thunder nice and light but wheelbitey...I'm odd in that I don't worry about 'popfeel' I just adjust...takes less than hour ollieing over shit (I have big ollies so it's bash the tail and hope for the best with any truck).

For now, it's Indy since I'm on 54mm wheels and skate loose...that's a deathknell on Thunders for me.

Usually takes me almost the life of a deck to FULLY acclimate to popfeel on different trucks. Wheel size is def a contributing factor to me riding indys. I mostly ride 56mm classics, sometimes 54. i love being able to ride 56mm with no riser and still have a decently turny setup (cast plates). I even ran 56mm on forged plates and only had to tighten a little more. They were still way looser than i could ride thunders with 54mm wheels.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #405 on: December 22, 2022, 10:21:53 AM »
I guess I could run forged thunders with 1/8” risers, that’s just a hair past indy forged height…but I tend to not like tall trucks.

IpathCats

« Reply #406 on: December 22, 2022, 10:45:02 AM »
I guess I could run forged thunders with 1/8” risers, that’s just a hair past indy forged height…but I tend to not like tall trucks.

Never tried thunders with risers, have heard good things. After i realized i could get away with 56mm wheels on indys without risers, i completely wrote off using them all together.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1586
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #407 on: December 22, 2022, 06:17:39 PM »
I used to think it was dumb but now I value that thunders are lighter and the turning radius might be up some people’s alley……

IpathCats

« Reply #408 on: December 23, 2022, 05:46:59 AM »
I used to think it was dumb but now I value that thunders are lighter and the turning radius might be up some people’s alley……

as long as you ride  smaller wheels, or risers, or both.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #409 on: December 23, 2022, 07:33:18 AM »
I've ran 54's fine on Thunders no risers. I do wonder- what is considered small? I typically ride 52-53 starting diameter no issue, obviously smaller as they wear.

spacial_profiling

« Reply #410 on: December 23, 2022, 08:55:09 AM »
So if I’m finding my kingpins to be getting in the way what makes more sense: inverted mids with risers or switch out the baseplates?

IpathCats

« Reply #411 on: December 23, 2022, 10:22:39 AM »
So if I’m finding my kingpins to be getting in the way what makes more sense: inverted mids with risers or switch out the baseplates?

Switch the baseplates. unless you have ground your hangers down a lot already.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #412 on: December 23, 2022, 11:49:52 AM »
I wheelbite thunders with 52s easy, 50/51s with wheel wells/cast is my sweet spot. I'm 190/195lbs depending on the day and ride loose.

I can safely ride indy forged with 54mm with some minor wheelbite but without getting pitched.

« Last Edit: December 23, 2022, 06:17:57 PM by Xen »

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1038
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #413 on: December 23, 2022, 05:46:06 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Are we talking when you do something like smith or feeble grinds, or just when the trucks are sitting on a fifty position?

Definitely going to be a different situation for either and maybe getting an angle grinder onto the kingpins, but I think pics of the trucks would be best.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #414 on: December 24, 2022, 01:33:54 PM »

IpathCats

« Reply #415 on: December 25, 2022, 09:45:02 PM »

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1586
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #416 on: December 25, 2022, 10:45:21 PM »
It’s to appease middle aged men after they ditched the iron cross…

fernando the skater

• Rep: 120
« Reply #417 on: December 26, 2022, 01:56:36 AM »
I like them. Back to the early Independent look before they went for a Tracker like hanger. And I guess a bit of weight will be knocked off.

spacial_profiling

« Reply #418 on: December 26, 2022, 07:39:07 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Are we talking when you do something like smith or feeble grinds, or just when the trucks are sitting on a fifty position?

Definitely going to be a different situation for either and maybe getting an angle grinder onto the kingpins, but I think pics of the trucks would be best.

More an issue with slappy’s on rounded/softer curbs, where like the edge of the kingpin closest to the center of the board digs in and then grinds down to a slope. On hard squared off curbs and ledges, etc, it’s fine, guess it just grind thru no prob.

I think this may be the answer, standards with inverted kingpin. But this truck ugly af imo.

https://www.skatewarehouse.com/descpage-INLLITR.html

Weezil

• Rep: 32
« Reply #419 on: December 26, 2022, 09:18:40 AM »
I still kinda want a set of those ikp baseplates and some krux dlk pins, I got a bunch of old indy hangers that I could probably squeeze a little extra life out of with an ikp.

one of the many things I see in skating and want but just never get around to buying/trying.