Author Topic: The Indy Thread  (Read 129367 times)

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1076
Re: The Indy Thread
« Reply #420 on: December 26, 2022, 09:26:08 AM »
I like them. Back to the early Independent look before they went for a Tracker like hanger. And I guess a bit of weight will be knocked off.

Yeah, I think they look great but I’m disappointed that they are not coming any smaller than 151. I would be interested in a ~144 size, personally.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

Creachteach

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 120
« Reply #421 on: December 26, 2022, 02:10:03 PM »
Expand Quote
I like them. Back to the early Independent look before they went for a Tracker like hanger. And I guess a bit of weight will be knocked off.
[close]

Yeah, I think they look great but I’m disappointed that they are not coming any smaller than 151. I would be interested in a ~144 size, personally.

You can probably skate them on an 8.25” no problem. I’m looking forward to their release.

I’ve been skating again since June, but I skated when I was a kid from 1998-2001 or smth.
Back then another kid had just got hollow axle/hanger trucks, and everyone was all like “whoa, that’s some radical magic shit right there.”
They had red baseplates. Were they fury’s or Indy’s? Or something else?

Does one of the wizards on here remember when hollows became a thing? Google gives me nothing, and neither does my memory.
Im too dumb to figure out how to make this drawing my profile pic.

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1076
« Reply #422 on: December 26, 2022, 03:58:27 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

You can probably skate them on an 8.25” no problem. I’m looking forward to their release.

Yeah I skate an ~8 with 144s but I think the 151 will be a little wide for that size. I also have an ~8.5” which sees occasional use but I won’t wear out the trucks anytime soon since it doesn’t get skated much.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1039
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #423 on: December 26, 2022, 05:22:39 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I’ve been skating again since June, but I skated when I was a kid from 1998-2001 or smth.
Back then another kid had just got hollow axle/hanger trucks, and everyone was all like “whoa, that’s some radical magic shit right there.”

Does one of the wizards on here remember when hollows became a thing? Google gives me nothing, and neither does my memory.

I have always kept to standards as far as trucks go, so I don't really follow the hollow axle, or ti or the more out there trends, but I don't really recall seeing many from any brands until maybe 2010 or later.

I can't even think of any older Indy stages that had them, besides maybe the late Stage 10 (2011)  but definitely the Stage 11 (from 2012) versions, eg some USA made Indy low Reynolds 129 have hollow everything.

I know I have some fairly old versions of Silver or similar type of truck brands that had hollow axles that must have been left at the shop when people upgraded trucks, but others like Thunder, even Thunder lows with forged plates and hollow axles were a surprise when they came out.

Now I guess everyone has hollow kingpins, axles, forged baseplates, etc.

It is interesting trying to work out when things like that came about though, or hearing from anyone who did have any good knowledge on that side of things.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

IpathCats

« Reply #424 on: December 27, 2022, 06:19:38 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

I have always kept to standards as far as trucks go, so I don't really follow the hollow axle, or ti or the more out there trends, but I don't really recall seeing many from any brands until maybe 2010 or later.

I can't even think of any older Indy stages that had them, besides maybe the late Stage 10 (2011)  but definitely the Stage 11 (from 2012) versions, eg some USA made Indy low Reynolds 129 have hollow everything.

I know I have some fairly old versions of Silver or similar type of truck brands that had hollow axles that must have been left at the shop when people upgraded trucks, but others like Thunder, even Thunder lows with forged plates and hollow axles were a surprise when they came out.

It is interesting trying to work out when things like that came about though, or hearing from anyone who did have any good knowledge on that side of things.

I was going to guess indy hollows came out in '09-'10

best i can find is this transworld article from August 2010 that mentions the "new" lutzka forged hollows with a link to a catalog that no longer works. Could reasonably assume the cast hollows released before them, but if it was as early as 2009 remains in question.

https://skateboarding.transworld.net/news/independent-trucks-fall-catalog-online/

LebowskisRug

« Reply #425 on: December 27, 2022, 07:35:18 AM »
We're Venture Featherlights hollow? Or just forged plates? Or anything different? I remember green bushings being a flex in a sea of Maroon bushings/gold washers.

Esquivel

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 214
« Reply #426 on: December 27, 2022, 07:48:05 AM »
^ I rode a few sets around '94 and they were normal cast, solid everything. The green bushings were indeed a flex  ;D
Really good trucks for the time but I definitely broke a couple of baseplates, riding mega-tight trucks.

Edit: Does anyone know what stage or general dims were the low Indys with the slanted hangers? I rode a load of those circa 2010 but I was not paying attention to sizes etc, everything just "fit" anyway. I can't find any images or reference online.
Expand Quote
And people say weed makes you creative
[close]
Good weed does - these broke ass skateboard designers smokin spice

IpathCats

« Reply #427 on: December 27, 2022, 10:48:19 AM »
^ I rode a few sets around '94 and they were normal cast, solid everything. The green bushings were indeed a flex  ;D
Really good trucks for the time but I definitely broke a couple of baseplates, riding mega-tight trucks.

Edit: Does anyone know what stage or general dims were the low Indys with the slanted hangers? I rode a load of those circa 2010 but I was not paying attention to sizes etc, everything just "fit" anyway. I can't find any images or reference online.

Pretty sure the lows came out during stage 9. I had these kostons, game them to a friend who rode them for years.

https://skateparkoftampa.com/spot/p.aspx?ID=14719

Richard Skidder

• Rep: 470
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #428 on: December 27, 2022, 11:23:01 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

best i can find is this transworld article from August 2010 that mentions the "new" lutzka forged hollows with a link to a catalog that no longer works. Could reasonably assume the cast hollows released before them, but if it was as early as 2009 remains in question.

https://skateboarding.transworld.net/news/independent-trucks-fall-catalog-online/

Forged baseplate solid kingpin and hanger predates anything hollow from Indy. I may be wrong but I think Thunder did the hollow stuff first.

gaunting

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 188
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #429 on: December 27, 2022, 11:44:26 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Forged baseplate solid kingpin and hanger predates anything hollow from Indy. I may be wrong but I think Thunder did the hollow stuff first.

you are somewhat right, just in a slightly different order. Thunder were the first truck company to utilize/introduce a forged plate and hollow kingpin, in late 2009 if I’m not mistaken. Indy being the second, followed by venture, and then a few others.

when Indy introduced their first hollow kingpin/forged truck, it was only available in one color, silver hollow hangers, with a hollow forged gold basplate. that was the only color you could get for the first 6-8 months.

then , for a very short bit, indy actually made a forged hollow model with hollow hangers, and the forged plates had a solid kingpin. they only produced this particular model for less than a year, thankfully, I scored a pair, and still have the forged/solid kingpin
plates. when Indy first came out with their forged/hollow model, they were still manufacturing the stage 10.

I know their cast hollow model was the third to be produced, but I’m not sure if that was offered before, or after they released the stage 11. I do know for a fact though, that the forged titanium indy was only ever produced in stage 11.
This has me cracking up, what exactly does Black Flag have to do with measuring your dick starting behind ya nuts?

Skateboarding is nothing but a game to find the right fits to appear like you're a proportional human being instead of a midget or a giant.

gaunting

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #430 on: December 27, 2022, 11:53:14 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

you are somewhat right, just in a slightly different order. Thunder were the first truck company to utilize/introduce a forged plate and hollow kingpin, in late 2009 if I’m not mistaken. Indy being the second, followed by venture, and then a few others.

when Indy introduced their first hollow kingpin/forged truck, it was only available in one color, silver hollow hangers, with a hollow forged gold basplate. that was the only color you could get for the first 6-8 months. when they first came out with the forged hollow model in all silver, it was technically the “koston pro colorway” after he left, they started marking it with the “hollow” graphic on the hanger.

then , for a very short bit, indy actually made a forged hollow model with hollow hangers, and the forged plates had a solid kingpin. they only produced this particular model for less than a year, thankfully, I scored a pair, and still have the forged/solid kingpin
plates. when Indy first came out with their forged/hollow model, they were still manufacturing the stage 10.

I know their cast hollow model was the third to be produced, but I’m not sure if that was offered before, or after they released the stage 11. I do know for a fact though, that the forged titanium indy was only ever produced in stage 11.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2022, 12:02:01 PM by gaunting »
This has me cracking up, what exactly does Black Flag have to do with measuring your dick starting behind ya nuts?

Skateboarding is nothing but a game to find the right fits to appear like you're a proportional human being instead of a midget or a giant.

gaunting

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #431 on: December 27, 2022, 12:00:01 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Pretty sure the lows came out during stage 9. I had these kostons, game them to a friend who rode them for years.

this particular indy low with the inward shaped hangers were actually stage 10. When they first came out with these I’m almost positive they were completely solid kingpin and axle, however I could be mistaken, and it could have been hollow kingpin/solid hanger.

this first indy low came with red conical bushings. I remember skating 2 sets of these, and they were the best turning low truck I’ve ever skated. then, when indy came out with the stage 11 truck, they revamped their indy stage low, this model was only offered with red barrel bushings, this indy low definitely had a turn more similar to a venture low. and when the indy stage 11 low was first introduced, I’m pretty sure it was offered in a all hollow model.

but the indy low, stage 10 and 11 was  never produced with a forged plate. I’ve tried to Frankenstein a forged plate with indy lows, and my 110lb ass was wheelbiting all over the place lmao.

IpathCats

« Reply #432 on: December 27, 2022, 12:07:26 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

this particular indy low with the inward shaped hangers were actually stage 10. When they first came out with these I’m almost positive they were completely solid kingpin and axle, however I could be mistaken, and it could have been hollow kingpin/solid hanger.

this first indy low came with red conical bushings. I remember skating 2 sets of these, and they were the best turning low truck I’ve ever skated. then, when indy came out with the stage 11 truck, they revamped their indy stage low, this model was only offered with red barrel bushings, this indy low definitely had a turn more similar to a venture low. and when the indy stage 11 low was first introduced, I’m pretty sure it was offered in a all hollow model.

but the indy low, stage 10 and 11 was  never produced with a forged plate. I’ve tried to Frankenstein a forged plate with indy lows, and my 110lb ass was wheelbiting all over the place lmao.

nice, gnar'd for two great posts in a row.

gaunting

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #433 on: December 27, 2022, 12:11:41 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

nice, gnar'd for two great posts in a row.

back at ya brother! 🫡 🤜🏻 🤛🏻

bombsaway86

• Rep: 164
« Reply #434 on: December 27, 2022, 12:58:22 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Titan Ti-lites were around in the early 2000s and had hollow axles and kingpins

Maccat

• Rep: 78
« Reply #435 on: December 27, 2022, 05:01:21 PM »
They’re showing off the new Indy.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CmkHfvBMn8b/?igshid=ZDFmNTE4Nzc=

Those look really good. Will definitely be copping a set.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #436 on: December 27, 2022, 06:39:20 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

From the "skate history bookmarks" from a while back:

IndependentTrucks (21 August 2006). "Eric Koston - New Independent Stage 9 Low" (Video upload). YouTube.

Too bad the video was removed, but the links were still around, back when Koston did actually ride Independent rather than Thunder or now Venture.

Also, that pic from the SPOT / Tampa shop does look like the Stage 9 as it has the holes in the baseplate.

Stage 9 had the two "nose holes" in the baseplate, but Stage 10 and on, as well as older stages did not.

This might be a bit redundant, but I did a comparison with some different versions not too long ago.

Pics are a bit blurry, but at least the basics are easy enough to see.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #437 on: December 27, 2022, 06:44:48 PM »

this first indy low came with red conical bushings. I remember skating 2 sets of these, and they were the best turning low truck I’ve ever skated.

@gaunting

That is the sort of info I love to hear.

Thanks for posting!!!

I didn't skate them, but I have a used set of the 139 Stage 10 low trucks, solid everything, red bushings, almost weird shaped axle ends, but the guy that had them thought they were amazing too.

Oddly enough he hardly skated them, or at least didn't grind on them much at all, but it is interesting to see them and compare them to the other versions.

IpathCats

« Reply #438 on: December 27, 2022, 08:38:57 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

From the "skate history bookmarks" from a while back:

IndependentTrucks (21 August 2006). "Eric Koston - New Independent Stage 9 Low" (Video upload). YouTube.

Too bad the video was removed, but the links were still around, back when Koston did actually ride Independent rather than Thunder or now Venture.

Also, that pic from the SPOT / Tampa shop does look like the Stage 9 as it has the holes in the baseplate.

Stage 9 had the two "nose holes" in the baseplate, but Stage 10 and on, as well as older stages did not.

This might be a bit redundant, but I did a comparison with some different versions not too long ago.

Pics are a bit blurry, but at least the basics are easy enough to see.

Dang! 2006!?

I'm loving all this new/old info.

And the mention of titan to lites always makes me laugh.

Creachteach

• Rep: 120
« Reply #439 on: December 28, 2022, 01:03:14 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Well, your logic is flawless as always. But the kid that  got new trucks back then, I remember kind of vividly, that a smaller crowd of 5-6 had gathered around to witness tha magical trucks. Everyone was kind of awed about them not snapping or breaking, so that’s why my mind want it to be because they were hollowed out. But it could easily have been something else. What weirdly designed trucks was around?

Im too dumb to figure out how to make this drawing my profile pic.

Esquivel

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 214
« Reply #440 on: December 28, 2022, 09:35:36 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Thanks both, the lows I had came with red barrel bushings that were extremely soft and I used to swap with firmer ones. The turn was definitely similar to Venture as I could switch from one truck to another with zero adjustment time.
Edit: they had solid everything
Expand Quote
And people say weed makes you creative
[close]
Good weed does - these broke ass skateboard designers smokin spice

IpathCats

« Reply #441 on: December 28, 2022, 09:47:45 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

Thanks both, the lows I had came with red barrel bushings that were extremely soft and I used to swap with firmer ones. The turn was definitely similar to Venture as I could switch from one truck to another with zero adjustment time.
Edit: they had solid everything

Yea, I remember having the black/gold kostons and the silver ones with red bushings. all solid on both.

Wasnt a fan of them tbh. Didn't understand my setup as well at the time, but the height def fucked my pop all up.

gaunting

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #442 on: December 28, 2022, 01:19:21 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Titan Ti-lites were around in the early 2000s and had hollow axles and kingpins

I completely forgot about those. 🤣 they were atrocious.

bombsaway86

• Rep: 164
« Reply #443 on: December 28, 2022, 06:25:08 PM »
I completely forgot about those. 🤣 they were atrocious.

I never had a pair but I remember my friends riding them. They were always really loud and squeaky. The set screw for the axle would back out and get lost so they would axle slip all over the place. I remember people putting paper clips and cotter pins in there to try to keep the axle in place but it never worked. Sorry to derail the Indy thread.

Gumption

• Rep: 1
« Reply #444 on: December 29, 2022, 03:51:59 PM »
My homie in Highschool came up with the idea of putting a destructo hangar on a titan ti-lite baseplate. I thought it was genius, and it almost ended our friendship when I copied him

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1343
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #445 on: December 29, 2022, 06:43:54 PM »
I was reading a Thrasher from 92 last night and came across a Z Rollers ad that was touting their new hollow axles. Dunno if Z necessarily counts but maybe they were first to the Hollow party?
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

Chavo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 224
« Reply #446 on: December 30, 2022, 01:43:06 AM »
During the early '90s, Deadbolt had an axle that was hollow and threaded to fit hex bolts instead of nuts. I do not know if it was hollow all the way through or just enough for the threading.

If wheel core spacing was standardized, all trucks would have this feature and mangled axles would be a thing of the past.

Lee Ralphs Dear Old Mum

« Reply #447 on: December 30, 2022, 09:24:36 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

KP clearance doesn't look great.

tom

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 989
  • the moon rules
« Reply #448 on: December 31, 2022, 09:00:12 AM »
fuck you bama

pray4mebyname

• Rep: 4
« Reply #449 on: December 31, 2022, 09:12:56 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Yeah I skate an ~8 with 144s but I think the 151 will be a little wide for that size. I also have an ~8.5” which sees occasional use but I won’t wear out the trucks anytime soon since it doesn’t get skated much.

They actually have a 147. I'm riding them right now on an 8.25 and they are amazing. Wheelbase & turning seems similar to Ace, yet, this truck feels much more sturdy. Still kinda surfy, which is what I loved about Ace's.
I also much prefer how Indy's grind compared to both Ace original & AF1...