Author Topic: The Indy Thread  (Read 128760 times)

Weezil

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 32
Re: The Indy Thread
« Reply #570 on: January 07, 2023, 10:25:46 AM »
That’s probably why he’s so good at manuals, has all that room to hold them.

Cast Indys give me ghost pop no matter the board. I’ll roll up to pop my board and just whiff. This is the one thing I don’t miss about Indys, and something I haven’t dealt with since switching to ace and venture, closer to the stage 10 height.

pops

• Rep: 250
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #571 on: January 07, 2023, 02:01:37 PM »
That’s probably why he’s so good at manuals, has all that room to hold them.

Cast Indys give me ghost pop no matter the board. I’ll roll up to pop my board and just whiff. This is the one thing I don’t miss about Indys, and something I haven’t dealt with since switching to ace and venture, closer to the stage 10 height.

Same with me. I had countless unnecessary bails because of ghost pop. Never had that with Aces yet.

roll_dog

« Reply #572 on: January 07, 2023, 03:42:04 PM »
Glad I am not the only one who struggles with cast indys. Tried the forged but they were too twitchy for me. I've thought about switching to ace but haven't pulled the trigger.

beepbeep

• Rep: 4
« Reply #573 on: January 07, 2023, 04:53:32 PM »
Glad I am not the only one who struggles with cast indys. Tried the forged but they were too twitchy for me. I've thought about switching to ace but haven't pulled the trigger.

I don't find much difference in turn between cast and forged. The weight saving is worth it for me. I have some ace but they never pop right for me and heavy. Have them on a cruiser tho, that turn is so sick. They feel cool when landing stuff, more fun in some ways in that respect, just not as consistent, and I suck anyways so I need whatever I can get ha.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1038
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #574 on: January 07, 2023, 05:04:26 PM »

I think it is just down to what you are used to skating, more than anything.

Same Indy trucks on a mellow board, everything works for me, then tried on a steeper board - ghost pop and had to change everything for how I skated, but back on a more mellow board, I felt like everything worked as it should for me.

If you are used to lower trucks, sure things are going to be weird, but that is also why I prefer to put DIY 2mm rubber risers under Thunder trucks to bring them up to a more "normal" height for what I prefer.

Everyone has their own preferences, so there is no right or wrong answer to which product is best overall, only what is best for each person, depending on what they like.

How a truck turns, how quickly or slowly it turns and other performance issues can be down to quite a few things, but the easiest thing to change with a set of trucks is in the bushings department, which is why I prefer a slightly harder bushing that is not tightened down as much, over a taller, softer more mushy bushing, that even if tightened down a bit, will more likely cause more issues with not being able to bounce back as quickly but will still turn a little too much, which would cause the "twitchy" feeling that some trucks give.

The most difficult thing is getting the right bushings, or the right mix of bushings, given some people prefer to mix and match hardness options, or shapes and sizes of bushings too.

This also contributes to kingpin / hanger clearance, wheelbite and can affect performance too, because some bushings that do not perform as they should, ie they do not bounce back to centre, will usually cause more problems for the skater in the long run.

Just a few things to consider anyway.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

a1d

« Reply #575 on: January 07, 2023, 05:39:11 PM »
what's up with those stage 4's they posted about on their instagram the other day? haven't really kept up to date on any of it but it doesn't look like there's been any mention of them since

elegant_fox

« Reply #576 on: January 07, 2023, 05:40:32 PM »
I feel like no one is riding 139s these days, I'm probably making a mistake trying to make use of my ancient stage 8 139s. I found they feel best on an 8.25, but they're still so tippy. Probably will split the quiver difference with 149s or 144s soon enough, I have 169s and 215s for vert.

IpathCats

« Reply #577 on: January 07, 2023, 07:24:23 PM »
what's up with those stage 4's they posted about on their instagram the other day? haven't really kept up to date on any of it but it doesn't look like there's been any mention of them since

That IG post is the last we've seen.

Rumored to come in 8.378 and 8.6-7ish

a1d

« Reply #578 on: January 07, 2023, 08:43:28 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

exclusively?

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1016
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #579 on: January 07, 2023, 08:46:15 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
exclusively?

Only thing they've for sure said was a no go was anything 144 and below, so far...

a1d

« Reply #580 on: January 07, 2023, 08:59:46 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
exclusively?
[close]

Only thing they've for sure said was a no go was anything 144 and below, so far...
well shit, i really wanted to try them if they had 139's but i guess it makes sense for them to be a more niche truck

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1077
« Reply #581 on: January 07, 2023, 09:10:37 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
exclusively?
[close]

[close]
well shit, i really wanted to try them if they had 139's but i guess it makes sense for them to be a more niche truck

Well they’re targeting Ace, who makes a full run of sizes. My local shop sells 44s and 55s in nearly equal amounts, so it would seem there are a lot of would-be riders for this truck in the conventional size range.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1586
« Reply #582 on: January 07, 2023, 10:59:34 PM »
everyone will just call them stage 4’s…..but I will call them slimdys……

I know trackers did it with ‘full track’…’mid track’? Etc but maybe companies should start using words in describing widths….why use numbers…it’s just confusing.

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 478
« Reply #583 on: January 08, 2023, 01:50:29 AM »
Speaking about ghost pop earlier regarding cast vs forged:

It's exactly why I alternate in buying standard, standard Hollow, and forged Hollow on a good sale. Because then, depending on the board, I can swap baseplates for height to offset the mellow or steepness of it. Polars, Zero, and Baker B2 need the forged Hollow baseplate, but my Black Label, TKF, and Isle work well standards or forged Hollow.

If anyone hasn't tried that, I suggest buying 2 sets: standards and forged hollows, then swap the baseplates (or the hangars for weight) to optimize your setup against your deck choice!
Super Champion Fun Zone

pops

• Rep: 250
« Reply #584 on: January 08, 2023, 02:16:11 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I don't find much difference in turn between cast and forged. The weight saving is worth it for me. I have some ace but they never pop right for me and heavy. Have them on a cruiser tho, that turn is so sick. They feel cool when landing stuff, more fun in some ways in that respect, just not as consistent, and I suck anyways so I need whatever I can get ha.

I really love the turn and classics weight isnt too bad. I never really had problem with the pop and if I do, I know it's my inconsistensy because I do less ollies and flips nowadays. Anyway, I do more cruising in summer and more ramps and tricks in winter (indoors).

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #585 on: January 08, 2023, 03:05:33 AM »

It's exactly why I alternate in buying standard, standard Hollow, and forged Hollow on a good sale. Because then, depending on the board, I can swap baseplates for height to offset the mellow or steepness of it. Polars, Zero, and Baker B2 need the forged Hollow baseplate, but my Black Label, TKF, and Isle work well standards or forged Hollow.

If anyone hasn't tried that, I suggest buying 2 sets: standards and forged hollows, then swap the baseplates (or the hangars for weight) to optimize your setup against your deck choice!

Yeah I can definitely see how that would work well.

Interesting options, for sure!

I normally don't buy anything other than standard for myself, but a few wider sets of second hand forged hollow baseplates with either hollow axles or ti axles give things a bit of a weight reduction for the 159 and 169 sized board setups that I put them on.

Fun changing things over and seeing what does work on some boards, that doesn't work on others too.

IpathCats

« Reply #586 on: January 08, 2023, 05:36:35 AM »
everyone will just call them stage 4’s…..but I will call them slimdys……

I know trackers did it with ‘full track’…’mid track’? Etc but maybe companies should start using words in describing widths….why use numbers…it’s just confusing.

Lol

Expand Quote

[close]

Yeah I can definitely see how that would work well.

Interesting options, for sure!

I normally don't buy anything other than standard for myself, but a few wider sets of second hand forged hollow baseplates with either hollow axles or ti axles give things a bit of a weight reduction for the 159 and 169 sized board setups that I put them on.

Fun changing things over and seeing what does work on some boards, that doesn't work on others too.

Been loving 149 ti hangers on cast plates for a while now.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1586
« Reply #587 on: January 08, 2023, 07:16:39 AM »
How about this idea…..raw hanger, forged baseplate because of the increased swing weight helps your board flip better……

LebowskisRug

« Reply #588 on: January 08, 2023, 07:18:24 AM »
I tried swapping plates but the pop feel from swapping was quite different for a number of tricks. I don't ghost pop with many tricks on Indy's, but I'd say some tricks don't level out as well and I find the nollie pop a bit heavy and sluggish although the pop yield is great. That's why I can see lots of people liking Ventures- still great pop yield, but it's a bit lighter.

I hated cast Indy on a steeper board. It's weird but I had a DLX II I didn't like on cast Indy and it was great on Thunder cast (DLX 8.38). The same shape, but a mellow Baker, was one of my favorite setups of the last year on cast Indy.

roll_dog

« Reply #589 on: January 08, 2023, 09:22:29 AM »
How about this idea…..raw hanger, forged baseplate because of the increased swing weight helps your board flip better……

I checked out a book of Indy ads at my local and sure enough they used to sell standard hangers on forged plates.

I definitely agree with the insight that ghost pop is a multi dimensional problem. It's the reason I go with 54mm wheels max. I am definitely curious about 8.75 decks with mellow kicks but that's for another thread. It's not always a problem for me actually, specifically seems to happen when I hit a pyramid or something at speed.

Amoreone82

• Rep: 6
« Reply #590 on: January 09, 2023, 12:39:43 AM »
Here's my take on indy IKP plates and new "stage 4" 215s.
I've replaced stock baseplate with new IKP and set up "short" top bushing (old aftermarket indy mid bushing).
Kingpin clearence now is HUGE.

PS
Have some troubles before with stock baseplate on a curbs - stucking on kingpin and always have a nut loosening.
Picture with before/after.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #591 on: January 09, 2023, 02:30:19 AM »
I've replaced stock baseplate with new IKP and set up "short" top bushing (old aftermarket indy mid bushing).

PS
Have some troubles before with stock baseplate on a curbs - stucking on kingpin and always have a nut loosening.

That's so good!

Thanks for posting.

IpathCats

« Reply #592 on: January 09, 2023, 05:30:12 AM »

PS

nice picture diagram man!

have a gnar

People used to have to grind their KP after swapping to shorter top bushings for more clearance, the IKP baseplate saves you that step.

We're evolving.

spacial_profiling

• Rep: -88
« Reply #593 on: January 09, 2023, 05:36:43 AM »
Expand Quote

PS

[close]

have a gnar

People used to have to grind their KP after swapping to shorter top bushings for more clearance, the IKP baseplate saves you that step.

We're evolving.

Amazing results. Question: Is the IKP baseplate the same as an Inverted Mid baseplate/same KP clearance? Do either affect overall truck/axel height?

intendedreceivers

• Rep: 204
« Reply #594 on: January 09, 2023, 06:08:35 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

PS

[close]

have a gnar

We're evolving.
[close]

Amazing results. Question: Is the IKP baseplate the same as an Inverted Mid baseplate/same KP clearance? Do either affect overall truck/axel height?

I believe all Indy baseplates are compatible whether they’re IKP or traditional. The Mid hanger works fine on traditional kingpin baseplates (Standard Hollow for me) and vice versa, including the 215/Stage IV design.

IpathCats

« Reply #595 on: January 09, 2023, 08:06:36 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

PS

[close]

have a gnar

We're evolving.
[close]

[close]

I believe all Indy baseplates are compatible whether they’re IKP or traditional. The Mid hanger works fine on traditional kingpin baseplates (Standard Hollow for me) and vice versa, including the 215/Stage IV design.

Pretty sure this is correct.

spacial_profiling

• Rep: -88
« Reply #596 on: January 09, 2023, 08:52:09 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

PS

[close]

have a gnar

We're evolving.
[close]

[close]

[close]

What I meant to ask was: Are the IKP and Inverted Mid baseplates one-in-the-same? Will I achieve the same result using either? Do they share the same KP clearance(since they share a similarly low-profile inverted kingpin)?

yourbreakfsat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 769
« Reply #597 on: January 09, 2023, 09:29:57 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

PS

[close]

have a gnar

We're evolving.
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

What I meant to ask was: Are the IKP and Inverted Mid baseplates one-in-the-same? Will I achieve the same result using either? Do they share the same KP clearance(since they share a similarly low-profile inverted kingpin)?

They are the same. The mid height comes from the hanger, not the IKP baseplate set.

I like the IKP baseplate set but personally I couldn't get my truck tightness to stay the same, after a bit of time my trucks would always feel looser than what I set them to. I used stock Indy 90a, aftermarket Indy 92a, and Bones Mediums which all resulted in this effect.

gaunting

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 188
« Reply #598 on: January 09, 2023, 09:46:26 AM »
I feel like no one is riding 139s these days, I'm probably making a mistake trying to make use of my ancient stage 8 139s. I found they feel best on an 8.25, but they're still so tippy. Probably will split the quiver difference with 149s or 144s soon enough, I have 169s and 215s for vert.

that’s what I’m skating rn. Indy stage 8 136’s. they are definitely “”tippy” trucks. most trucks from 20+ years ago didn’t really turn like modern trucks do. not to mention the top bushing on stage 8’s is considerably taller than current Indy bushings.
This has me cracking up, what exactly does Black Flag have to do with measuring your dick starting behind ya nuts?

Skateboarding is nothing but a game to find the right fits to appear like you're a proportional human being instead of a midget or a giant.

IpathCats

« Reply #599 on: January 09, 2023, 12:11:50 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

that’s what I’m skating rn. Indy stage 8 136’s. they are definitely “”tippy” trucks. most trucks from 20+ years ago didn’t really turn like modern trucks do. not to mention the top bushing on stage 8’s is considerably taller than current Indy bushings.

I havent ridden a truck under 8.25 (cruisers/polarizers aside) in like 15-16 years.