Author Topic: The Indy Thread  (Read 129499 times)

spacial_profiling

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -88
Re: The Indy Thread
« Reply #630 on: January 11, 2023, 08:33:24 AM »
Idk if they're new, but I see there's some Inverted Mid Forged Hollows out. Think that would be a cool baseplate swap-out since forged is what I typically ride.

https://independenttrucks.com/trucks#mid-forged-hollow

Only see 'em on Skate Warehouse and their sale just ended :/

https://www.skatewarehouse.com/Indy_Forged_Hollow_Mid_139mm_Truck/descpage-INFHMTR.html

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1021
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #631 on: January 11, 2023, 12:23:57 PM »
Forged Mids been out since last year (spring?); currently my favorite indys.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2023, 12:42:02 PM by Xen »

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #632 on: January 11, 2023, 12:51:14 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I think 139 is a good size….Indy’s are inherently beefy and on an 8” or 8.125 is still a nimble set up but stable enough to land on.  More truck helps grinding, but that’s about it.
[close]

Wider trucks are more stable as well, wider/slower turn. Some would argue this is a con, but i feel much more confident on 149s than even 144s.
[close]

I feel this. After skating 139s for a couple of months, I definitely feel more confident on 144s.

I'm not skating Indys (Royals), but the madness of deciding between 139 and 144 has returned. My old madness was 139 vs 149 when 144s weren't an option.

Even now with 144s I'm again curious if 139s will still work better overall. They used to when I didn't know any better. It's got to a point where I've got two setups, one with 139s on 8s and the other with 144s on 8.125s. I really like the stability of 144 and how comfy grinds are, but I wanted 139s for flipping my board. I really can't be bothered with extra washers. Hollow 144 is probably what I need to settle on.

Go with what feels comfy, trucks are like shoes, when in doubt: size up.

Personally, 139/147 are seemingly forever off the radar, I just feel too unstable, and lack the precision with grinds to have such a small, usable area so 144/148/8.125 is as small I go these days; I blame decades of skating the old standby of 149s on an 8.25.

As the 149 forged hollow mindys (on an 8.5 or 8.3) have been working well (it's the height, I clearly prefer low trucks), I recently switched to an 8.25" Polar with wheel wells and 8.38 trucks (ML suckas!) , totally works for me...Not too wide and heavy, but low and turn damn near the same and I get the stability/grind room I like and a slightly smaller deck.

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 709
« Reply #633 on: January 11, 2023, 01:56:45 PM »
After that scientific magic carpet talk I am going to put forged hollow 144s on my 8.3 and move the forged hollow 149s onto the 8.5 rain set up.
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #634 on: January 11, 2023, 02:01:02 PM »
After that scientific magic carpet talk I am going to put forged hollow 144s on my 8.3 and move the forged hollow 149s onto the 8.5 rain set up.

144s on 8.3s are fantastic (smaller 8.3s mind, not something like a DLX Full)

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 709
« Reply #635 on: January 11, 2023, 02:03:12 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Noice. I am riding shop blank 8.3 twins from a German shop currently but have two 8.3 Ishod slicks coming up next.
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

Acid Drop

• Rep: -61
  • Everyone sucks but me
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #636 on: January 11, 2023, 02:41:45 PM »
I never thought the titanium axel, forged baseplate was that good. There are a lot of benefits, weight difference being the number one but I found the material to rigid for long street riding because I feel like I get far more vibration through the other components. Whereas I feel cromoly steel axle asorbs more vibration. For me having a smooth ride is important and I like having hard wheels on all terrain. They are good though but they cause fatigue unless you're skating smooth skatepark concrete. It's probably just in my head. Idk, much love to y'all. 8) ;)
What-ah? Ah-how-wha? huh? You're confused, you're alone, it's Saturday night, you have no pants on

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #637 on: January 11, 2023, 03:34:04 PM »
Forged plates feel worse than cast but the bennies balance out imo.

A fully solid truck feels the best grinding solid materials.

roll_dog

« Reply #638 on: January 11, 2023, 04:09:59 PM »
I never thought the titanium axel, forged baseplate was that good. There are a lot of benefits, weight difference being the number one but I found the material to rigid for long street riding because I feel like I get far more vibration through the other components. Whereas I feel cromoly steel axle asorbs more vibration. For me having a smooth ride is important and I like having hard wheels on all terrain. They are good though but they cause fatigue unless you're skating smooth skatepark concrete. It's probably just in my head. Idk, much love to y'all. 8) ;)

Nah, I completely agree that standard axle + cast plates give the smoothest ride.

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 478
« Reply #639 on: January 12, 2023, 01:33:22 AM »
Personally, forged hollow plates with a standard hangar gives the right combination of smoothest grind to optimal height/weight ratio.

I've never noticed the tinny feeling or ang other weird anomalies with forged plates that some people seem to observe and I skate them often  ??? Maybe only that the baseplate grinds down faster from nose/tailslides slightly?

Super Champion Fun Zone

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 624
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #640 on: January 12, 2023, 02:33:05 AM »
The only difference I feel between Standard, Forged and Titanium is the height. They grind all the same for me.

Maybe I will try Standard plates with a Titanium Hangar some time in the future. For now it is bushing madness.
IG: @flowterspace

GBLange

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 276
« Reply #641 on: January 12, 2023, 03:48:54 AM »
I had the opposite experience because I'm a weirdo. I had a ton more wheelbite with Thunder 149 than 148.

geometry wise, a longer hangar hits  the board quicker and easier.

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1076
« Reply #642 on: January 12, 2023, 05:27:50 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

In my view, 144 is the magic size that moves seamlessly from 8.0" to 8.38" without needing adjustment. Best truck size IMO.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

hobochimp

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 277
« Reply #643 on: January 12, 2023, 09:16:15 AM »
About a pair of Independent Skateboard Trucks; Anodized Deep Purple 139 Std. Purchased 12/04/2013. Almost 10 years old. They still have the best turn out of any of my trucks I reckon. Especially noticable when powering out of a fs carve in transition. I also learned Fakie kickflip on a bank with these trucks riding a 8.5 Blind rasta deck, Bones blue clears 58mm (worn down) and bones ceramics (shields removed). It helped having more room to land, and a fast spin because of truck size ratio. They felt stable even on a wider deck.

Thanks for looking friends.

Idk why but lately I’ve been thinking about how sick anodized purple trucks look. Thanks for sharing

venture5.8

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Rep: 10
« Reply #644 on: January 13, 2023, 08:59:06 AM »
did anybody see the "new" stage 4s peter hewitt posted on insta? they look like brand new trucks and not old stock he found

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #645 on: January 13, 2023, 09:06:13 AM »
did anybody see the "new" stage 4s peter hewitt posted on insta? they look like brand new trucks and not old stock he found

Not to be that guy this this has been discussed in this thread at length and Independent has even started openly marketing it on their Instagram.

vicious cycle

• Rep: 166
« Reply #646 on: January 15, 2023, 11:42:02 AM »
I did it again..
Second time my 144 Ti axle breaks..
First time they sent me a new set.
This is one of them.. Fuck Titanium.. 360 flip on flat.

Never again.
You can't buy happiness but you can buy a Skateboard.

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 624
« Reply #647 on: January 15, 2023, 11:50:55 AM »
I did it again..

Never again.

That's insane. The problem definitely isn't titanium though, that's on indy. I've only slightly bent my titanium thunders after years of jumping down stuff

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #648 on: January 15, 2023, 12:07:32 PM »
I did it again..

Never again.

Titanium is generally strong and light but also extremely brittle and prone to stress risers. Sucks that this happened to you; I’d email Indy and ask them to swap for some hollows or another sufficiently “high end” truck.

vicious cycle

« Reply #649 on: January 15, 2023, 12:14:27 PM »
Expand Quote
I did it again..

Never again.
[close]

Titanium is generally strong and light but also extremely brittle and prone to stress risers. Sucks that this happened to you; I’d email Indy and ask them to swap for some hollows or another sufficiently “high end” truck.
Yea will do. I have zero trust in TI axles anymore.. Gonna ask for hollows. Never had a problem with those.

gaunting

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 188
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #650 on: January 15, 2023, 01:02:53 PM »

I want to thank whoever it was (can’t remember) that posted in this thread about putting stage 11 hangers on stage 8 plates. it inspired me to do the same, except the complete opposite.

idk if it’s nostalgia or something else, but I swear stage 8’s turned way better when I was skating them  20 years ago lmao. these just wouldn’t turn. so I took off the stage 8 hangers, ditched the bushings they came with, and put the stage 8 hangers on some brand new unskated stage 11 cast hollow plates and put some brand new stock indy bushings in there.

amazing turn. glad I have constant truck madness, otherwise I wouldn’t have been none the wiser. lmk if you’re the poster so I can gnar you. ❤️☺️
This has me cracking up, what exactly does Black Flag have to do with measuring your dick starting behind ya nuts?

Skateboarding is nothing but a game to find the right fits to appear like you're a proportional human being instead of a midget or a giant.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1039
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #651 on: January 15, 2023, 03:13:13 PM »
Expand Quote
I did it again..

Never again.
[close]

That's insane. The problem definitely isn't titanium though, that's on indy. I've only slightly bent my titanium thunders after years of jumping down stuff

This appears to only be happening to the newer Indy ti axles.

Older Indy ti and every other ti axle in any brand truck are fine, from what I have heard, but there sure have been a number of newer Indy ti axles that have broken like this, from people on here, seeing some in person in skate shops and others on social media.

Curious but also makes me happy not to be riding ti axles, or even want to get any in for anyone else.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

vicious cycle

« Reply #652 on: January 15, 2023, 04:08:30 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I did it again..

Never again.
[close]

[close]

Older Indy ti and every other ti axle in any brand truck are fine, from what I have heard, but there sure have been a number of newer Indy ti axles that have broken like this, from people on here, seeing some in person in skate shops and others on social media.

Curious but also makes me happy not to be riding ti axles, or even want to get any in for anyone else.
I bought the first pair when the pandamic was at its high. Broke them after two weeks and received a new pair two weeks later. I put them in a box and started riding the new royals for two pairs. Then I decided to go back on indy and put the replaced pair on. This time the axle lasted a bit longer then two weeks. Maybe 10. My guess is that there is a bad batch of pandamic TI axles out there. I will awoid them for now.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1039
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #653 on: January 15, 2023, 06:13:50 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I did it again..

Never again.
[close]

[close]

[close]
I bought the first pair when the pandamic was at its high. Broke them after two weeks and received a new pair two weeks later. I put them in a box and started riding the new royals for two pairs. Then I decided to go back on indy and put the replaced pair on. This time the axle lasted a bit longer then two weeks. Maybe 10. My guess is that there is a bad batch of pandamic TI axles out there. I will awoid them for now.

I had a look through and actually have more ti axle trucks than I thought, some Indy 144, 149, 159 and 169s, some Thunder 149s and more, all of them still going strong (some even well worn and one set down to axle and grinded part way through that too, but still working) but all these sets on boards are from others and all manufactured well before the current timeframe with broken axle issues.

The weird thing is from putting in warranty claims on a significant amount of trucks over the years, none of them ever really broke in the same places, but all these ti axle trucks seem to be breaking in almost the exact same way / place, which is curious.

I am not about to go back and try to find all the pics or info from them but I think I have seen at least ten sets like this.  That number might be very low in the grand scheme of things, guessing hundreds or even thousands have been produced, but it still seems like more than there should be with this issue.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

IpathCats

« Reply #654 on: January 15, 2023, 08:18:10 PM »
I did it again..

Never again.

Damn dude! That sucks

Hope they get you sorted out.

logjammin

• Rep: 346
« Reply #655 on: January 16, 2023, 08:48:57 AM »

I want to thank whoever it was (can’t remember) that posted in this thread about putting stage 11 hangers on stage 8 plates. it inspired me to do the same, except the complete opposite.

idk if it’s nostalgia or something else, but I swear stage 8’s turned way better when I was skating them  20 years ago lmao. these just wouldn’t turn. so I took off the stage 8 hangers, ditched the bushings they came with, and put the stage 8 hangers on some brand new unskated stage 11 cast hollow plates and put some brand new stock indy bushings in there.

amazing turn. glad I have constant truck madness, otherwise I wouldn’t have been none the wiser. lmk if you’re the poster so I can gnar you. ❤️☺️

How is the kingpin clearance? I can run this same combo but am too lazy to dig through my madness bag to try this combo lol, as I never thought of it. If I put a stage 8 hanger on a stage 8 baseplate...clearance does not exist. I'm tired of messing with inverted kingpins...

IpathCats

« Reply #656 on: January 17, 2023, 06:00:56 AM »
Just re re re iterating how much i love the cast plate/ti hanger combo. I had an intense experience over the weekend that left me feeling very grateful and appreciative towards just about everything in my life.

I skated a couple days later and had a wonderful time on my board, everything still just feels so right.

Love this combo, and I've never liked something THIS much for so long. I usually start to get tired of my trucks after too long.

gaunting

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 188
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #657 on: January 17, 2023, 09:37:29 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

How is the kingpin clearance? I can run this same combo but am too lazy to dig through my madness bag to try this combo lol, as I never thought of it. If I put a stage 8 hanger on a stage 8 baseplate...clearance does not exist. I'm tired of messing with inverted kingpins...

the kingpin clearance on the stage 8 hangers with the stage 11 baseplates is so much better, it isnt even comparable to when they were in the stage 8 plates. it def doesn’t give you the same clearance that say an IKP plate would, nor does it even give you the clearance a stage 11 plate with a standard kingpin would.

if I had to make the comparison, I would say it gives the same clearance an Indy stage 10 did. if not, even a bit more than a stage 10 (my fav Indy stage to date.) I know a lot of peoples’ opinions on the 10’s was somewhat polarizing, but I loved them.

anyway, to my original point I was trying to make before my ADD took over lmfao, is that their are three main contributing factors as to why stage 8’s had little to no kingpin clearance. the main reason they had god awful clearance was because of the bushings.

I was always a under the assumption that even back then, up until now, Indy stock bushings were all
The same height. they most definitely aren’t. although stage 8 bottom bushings are the same height as any other stage after it, the top bushings is insanely tall. like, the top bushing is damn near the same size as the bottom.

so one thing I tried before actually putting the stage 11 plates on the stage 8 hangers, is I tried putting the brand new, stock stage 11 Indy bushings on the stage 8 plates to see if they made the turn better. i saw Ben degros do that when he did his review on the stage 8’s a year or so ago, and he made it seem like it improved.

the problem is, (and this is the other factor I found out whilst trying the swap) is that stage 8 kingpins, (as well as alot of other truck companies in the late 90’s-early 2000’s) had a kingpin that never eventually went to a tapered, non-threaded part, as they got towards the top. so when I took the stage 8 bushings off the hangers, I saw that in fact, the whole kingpin was one giant thread, and it was considerably longer than a modern day kingpin. I’m assuming to accommodate the huge ass top bushing.

so I put the stage 11 bushings in the 8 plates. tightened them to nuts flush with the bolt, and they were Matt Rodriguez loose. Lmao. tightened them 2 threads up in the back, same thing. so that’s when I had the idea for the baseplate swap.

while writing this, I realized I listed three, but I’m dumb, and just realized that a turning radius would have nothing to do with clearance. (??) but, I will say, even though these 11 baseplates have made them much more enjoyable to skate and a much better turn, they definitely still have a similar turning radius of the 8, but it is definitely an improvement . I would say they turn a lot like a stage 10 as well. lol

oh, and also, I know a lot of people are either all about the IKP, or they hate it. I’ve read a lot of people on here complain about how they don’t hold their desired tightness. I however, have never had anything but good experiences with them so far. I have a pair of stage 11 Indy lows on my tech setup, and I love them, such an under rated truck. but one of the kingpins on the Indy low baseplates got completely stripped, and Indy low baseplates don’t work very well with standard Indy baseplates, because of the different kingpin length.

so I put 126 Indy low hangers on the IKP plates, and put in some ace low standard hardness bushings a friend gifted me, and they are amazing. but I also weigh 110 pounds, so that could have something to do with them holding their desired tightness for me. Lmao

sorry for the rain man style manifesto on a skateboard truck. Lmao. but I have little to no actual human interaction with people most days. so a novel comes out when I speak whether that be through the internet, as well as the unfortunate soul who has to bear it face to face. 🤣😝

**EDIT**
I just realized I could’ve saved 10 minutes and just posted photos. 🤦🏼‍♂️🤣

« Last Edit: January 17, 2023, 09:47:56 AM by gaunting »
This has me cracking up, what exactly does Black Flag have to do with measuring your dick starting behind ya nuts?

Skateboarding is nothing but a game to find the right fits to appear like you're a proportional human being instead of a midget or a giant.

logjammin

• Rep: 346
« Reply #658 on: January 17, 2023, 12:36:20 PM »
Haha rad thanks for the detailed response and pics man. Kingpin clearance is still pretty bad though, I don't think I'll mess with the 8/11 combo. Let me know if you'd be interested in purchasing any stage 8 hangers from me. I have two 8" and one 9" all mint. I did notice what you did as well, regarding old stage 8 kingpins. No wonder they broke, the threading went way too far down, making them weaker. Modern trucks have kingpins where the threading is only at the top portion.

Democratic Republic Of Mongo

• Rep: 129
« Reply #659 on: January 17, 2023, 01:49:44 PM »
I have a pair of 149 titanium’s that I’ve only cruised around on. No real abuse. They still have the cross logo on the baseplate. Think I’m in the clear?