Author Topic: The Indy Thread  (Read 129562 times)

FrenchSkater

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 28
Re: The Indy Thread
« Reply #1920 on: January 19, 2024, 12:29:45 AM »
When I read this in relation to the very cold weather for bushings, I finally understand my problem for certain tricks during the winter during outdoor sessions, like the 360 ​​flips for example, I always lost this trick a little in winter ahah Well then it's an adaptation to have too.. I don't blame the bushings 100%.. but the feeling and the control of riding is not the same yes.

ggrimmedd

• Rep: 23
« Reply #1921 on: January 22, 2024, 07:21:22 AM »
Tight trucks in tight transition? Rune knows the truth  8)

:p

JM

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 249
  • sup dog
« Reply #1922 on: January 22, 2024, 06:01:57 PM »
I destroyed the new hard plastic pivot cups to try and get older pivot cups in to see if it affected the pivot point nub wiggle. And No. It didn’t. Still nub wiggle but less so with older bushings, but still there.

NHS asked me to ship in the trucks to continue the warranty process. No mention of new trucks or anything.

Question: is it possible they just ship me back the same pair of trucks? I don’t have a backup pair of 144’s, so should I go buy a new pair?  :(
I’m not letting my YouTube algorithm anywhere near that video.

WideFeet

• Rep: 82
« Reply #1923 on: January 22, 2024, 11:03:57 PM »
I destroyed the new hard plastic pivot cups to try and get older pivot cups in to see if it affected the pivot point nub wiggle. And No. It didn’t. Still nub wiggle but less so with older bushings, but still there.

NHS asked me to ship in the trucks to continue the warranty process. No mention of new trucks or anything.

Question: is it possible they just ship me back the same pair of trucks? I don’t have a backup pair of 144’s, so should I go buy a new pair?  :(

Whatever you shipped in, they should ship back a brand new pair.

FrenchSkater

• Rep: 28
« Reply #1924 on: January 23, 2024, 02:59:31 AM »
For those who have already tried both, do you really feel a difference between the standard and the forged hollows ? Also know if there is a difference for the way of skating and for the tricks ?  ;D

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
  • Fuck the revoltion. Bring on the apocalypse.
    • ThePastParticple avatar image
« Reply #1925 on: January 23, 2024, 05:27:04 AM »
For those who have already tried both, do you really feel a difference between the standard and the forged hollows ? Also know if there is a difference for the way of skating and for the tricks ?  ;D

There is, IMHO, a slight difference in overall feel. That said, 55mm is too tall for me. Forged is 53.5mm tall. Does 1.5mm really make a difference? I notice it. Besides, you can always make a lower truck taller with a small riser, but you can never make a taller truck lower, so Forged gives you more options. And correct me if I am wrong, but didn’t Stage 11 go UP to 55mm from what was a standard 53.5mm prior to that? I can’t remember that far back. Also, note the “feel” comment I made at the onset was NOT about height, but just how different baseplates and hollow axles make things, well, feel.
IG: ThePastParticiple

DLX 8.25  |  144 Forged  |  53mm Classic  |  Super Swiss 6

"Everything has been figured out, except how to live." -Sartre

schralp pal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 261
« Reply #1926 on: January 23, 2024, 09:51:00 AM »

I couldn’t do the forged plates because they feel different, not just the obvious height difference. I felt more vibration on the forged to the point where it hurt my feet. The pop also sounds different which bugged me. Probably could have got used to them though, but if I wanted a slightly lower truck I’d go royal tbh

Rick Trapasso

• Rep: 11
« Reply #1927 on: January 23, 2024, 10:41:45 AM »

Yes, the height/weight play a huge role.

Less noticeable but still a factor if you're a psychopath (like me) are the hardness and wheelbase differences, cast plates have a slightly smaller WB and are softer than the forged plates.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1021
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #1928 on: January 23, 2024, 11:48:24 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

There is, IMHO, a slight difference in overall feel. That said, 55mm is too tall for me. Forged is 53.5mm tall. Does 1.5mm really make a difference? I notice it. Besides, you can always make a lower truck taller with a small riser, but you can never make a taller truck lower, so Forged gives you more options. And correct me if I am wrong, but didn’t Stage 11 go UP to 55mm from what was a standard 53.5mm prior to that? I can’t remember that far back. Also, note the “feel” comment I made at the onset was NOT about height, but just how different baseplates and hollow axles make things, well, feel.

Yeah Stage 10s were capped at 53.5...

I take the stance that 1.5mm diff (same with venture? 1mm diff with thunders) between cast and forged isn't as big of a deal as we all make it...however, with Indys, 55mm get's into weird tippy territory real fast for me, but I ride 53 or lower wheels; don't see a need to ride tall trucks if you aren't pushing 54mm+ wheels....same with ~sub 52mm wheels, no reason to ride ~51mm wheels unless you are rocking lows...you start getting into weird territory...like the 90s ;) 169 indy cast with 49mm wheels...no speed and sloppy flips.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2024, 11:55:17 AM by Xen »

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1929 on: January 23, 2024, 12:11:35 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I take the stance that 1.5mm diff (same with venture? 1mm diff with thunders) between cast and forged isn't as big of a deal as we all make it...however, with Indys, 55mm get's into weird tippy territory real fast for me, but I ride 53 or lower wheels; don't see a need to ride tall trucks if you aren't pushing 54mm+ wheels....same with ~sub 52mm wheels, no reason to ride ~51mm wheels unless you are rocking lows...you start getting into weird territory...like the 90s ;) 169 indy cast with 49mm wheels...no speed and sloppy flips.

I think general ratios come into play, too. Like, 55mm trucks on an 8.0" deck feel very different (height-wise) than 55mm trucks on an 8.75" deck. I ride an 8.25 with 53mm wheels. Standard Indys start to feel, just as you said, "tippy" to me. I also seem to notice a hair more ghost pop at times, and flip tricks aren't quite as responsive. Conversely, 52mm tall trucks seems to have too flat of a pop for me, and I can't get the lift I want. 53.5mm height is that magic zone.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1930 on: January 23, 2024, 12:19:24 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

I think general ratios come into play, too. Like, 55mm trucks on an 8.0" deck feel very different (height-wise) than 55mm trucks on an 8.75" deck. I ride an 8.25 with 53mm wheels. Standard Indys start to feel, just as you said, "tippy" to me. I also seem to notice a hair more ghost pop at times, and flip tricks aren't quite as responsive. Conversely, 52mm tall trucks seems to have too flat of a pop for me, and I can't get the lift I want. 53.5mm height is that magic zone.

Only rode forged indy since the 10.5 Kostons rolled out (which were the start of the 53.5mm height for stage IX forged), dabbled in mids/standards but meh (that said, forged mids are 50.5mm a low indy and they're great if that is what you are after), and def prefer cast ventures (53.5) and the feel of slappys (53.9)...that height also gives you a bit more flexibility with wheel sizes without feeling too 'off'.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2024, 04:14:09 PM by Xen »

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1931 on: January 23, 2024, 12:36:34 PM »
...that height also gives you a bit more flexibility with wheel sizes without feeling too 'off'.

Facts.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1039
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1932 on: January 23, 2024, 03:38:04 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Only rode forged indy since the 10.5 Kostons rolled out (which were the start of the 53.5mm height for stage IX forged), dabbled in mids/standards but me, and def prefer cast ventures (53.5) and the feel of slappys (53.9)...that height also gives you a bit more flexibility with wheel sizes without feeling too 'off'.

Re heights of trucks:

Stage I through to VIII were 55 mm tall, then Stage IX and X were 53.5 mm tall, then back to what it was before with Stage XI at 55 mm tall for the main truck, but as forged came in during the Stage X modeling, they kept that at the lower height with the increased geometry and turn like the older trucks did, before the Stage IX came out.

The low truck that was around for a minute was phased out completely, more so because people were moving away from low trucks in general, but then less than ten years later the mid was redone and we all know how that went, so Indy doesn't have a really good relationship with lower trucks overall, even though I know some people still love their low or mid Indy truck options.

I used to put very thin rubber risers under the Stage IX trucks and that worked really well for me, maybe 1 mm and I could really feel the difference.  I saw some of the first Stage X and didn't bother getting any as it was only really a baseplate upgrade at that time, so when Stage X v2 came out not long before Stage XI, they were the 55 mm tall, even though I didn't get any til later, when comparing them to the other Stage XI trucks I have.

With cast Stage XI which is my usual go to now, I just have a sticker on the board under the truck and it is just right for me, in the height and turn from 50 through to 54, 56 or 58 mm wheels, but I can see how others would feel like they were too tall, especially when skating the forged baseplates, or Venture or Thunder, although I usually have 2 mm rubber under any Thunder truck baseplates anyway.

There is some other info out there, but this is a good read if anyone wants to go back and check:

https://www.jenkemmag.com/home/2018/05/08/look-cult-independent-trucks/

In particular:

According to Wilson, Stage IX, “was the first stage that was computer drafted.” That sounds cool, but working with untested technology had unintended consequences for Independent. “They didn’t tell us that they were really redoing the geometry at all. But my gut feeling is that they just didn’t model it right,” Wilson said. “The truck ended up quite a bit lower.”

The Stage IX modifications dropped standard Indys from 55mm to 53.5mm, totally altering the turn. It didn’t help that the baseplates sucked too. “They fucked up on the baseplate pretty bad and put two holes in it,” Wilson recalled. “Those things broke.” Though Independent returned to a beefed-up baseplate for Stage X, the lower geometry remained and the trucks just didn’t turn like old Indys, making many riders to look to past models to get the perfect turn.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1115
« Reply #1933 on: January 23, 2024, 04:49:40 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Only rode forged indy since the 10.5 Kostons rolled out (which were the start of the 53.5mm height for stage IX forged), dabbled in mids/standards but me, and def prefer cast ventures (53.5) and the feel of slappys (53.9)...that height also gives you a bit more flexibility with wheel sizes without feeling too 'off'.
[close]

Re heights of trucks:

Stage I through to VIII were 55 mm tall, then Stage IX and X were 53.5 mm tall, then back to what it was before with Stage XI at 55 mm tall for the main truck, but as forged came in during the Stage X modeling, they kept that at the lower height with the increased geometry and turn like the older trucks did, before the Stage IX came out.

The low truck that was around for a minute was phased out completely, more so because people were moving away from low trucks in general, but then less than ten years later the mid was redone and we all know how that went, so Indy doesn't have a really good relationship with lower trucks overall, even though I know some people still love their low or mid Indy truck options.

I used to put very thin rubber risers under the Stage IX trucks and that worked really well for me, maybe 1 mm and I could really feel the difference.  I saw some of the first Stage X and didn't bother getting any as it was only really a baseplate upgrade at that time, so when Stage X v2 came out not long before Stage XI, they were the 55 mm tall, even though I didn't get any til later, when comparing them to the other Stage XI trucks I have.

With cast Stage XI which is my usual go to now, I just have a sticker on the board under the truck and it is just right for me, in the height and turn from 50 through to 54, 56 or 58 mm wheels, but I can see how others would feel like they were too tall, especially when skating the forged baseplates, or Venture or Thunder, although I usually have 2 mm rubber under any Thunder truck baseplates anyway.

There is some other info out there, but this is a good read if anyone wants to go back and check:

In particular:

According to Wilson, Stage IX, “was the first stage that was computer drafted.” That sounds cool, but working with untested technology had unintended consequences for Independent. “They didn’t tell us that they were really redoing the geometry at all. But my gut feeling is that they just didn’t model it right,” Wilson said. “The truck ended up quite a bit lower.”

The Stage IX modifications dropped standard Indys from 55mm to 53.5mm, totally altering the turn. It didn’t help that the baseplates sucked too. “They fucked up on the baseplate pretty bad and put two holes in it,” Wilson recalled. “Those things broke.” Though Independent returned to a beefed-up baseplate for Stage X, the lower geometry remained and the trucks just didn’t turn like old Indys, making many riders to look to past models to get the perfect turn.

the 55 mm feels pretty tall, to me.
when the trucks get wider, like wider than what i normally ride, the height bothers me less. idk.

i liked stage 10s. but people that really liked to turn a bunch could be seen experimenting with conical
bushings. popular kit was stage 10s with bones mediums.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1934 on: January 23, 2024, 08:41:15 PM »
The 55mm height gets negated with taller/wider wheels and trucks, at least for me....last time I rode 55mm indys were 149s with wide 54mm (x99 V6s) wheels and it wasn't tippy at all.

jimgrude

• Rep: 67
« Reply #1935 on: January 23, 2024, 10:37:18 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Re heights of trucks:

In particular:

Great writeup, but let me add that Stage VIII was 52mm. In my opinion, it would have been the ideal street Indy if it weren't for the horrendous kingpin clearance. The baseplates also can't fit inverted kingpin nuts unless you drill them out (which of course I did).

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1936 on: January 24, 2024, 03:26:44 PM »
Expand Quote

In particular:

[close]

Great writeup, but let me add that Stage VIII was 52mm. In my opinion, it would have been the ideal street Indy if it weren't for the horrendous kingpin clearance. The baseplates also can't fit inverted kingpin nuts unless you drill them out (which of course I did).

It's a funny one with truck heights though.

The set or three of the Stage (5, 6, 7 and 8s) but for sure the Stage VIII trucks are taller with the old hex kingpin than the Stage IX with the button head kingpin that I have here with the correct bushings - the older bushings were taller from new in the older sets, but most sets are well used so the bushings are so squashed down it often makes things a bit of a mess, but as you said, kingpin clearance was minimal to none on almost all of those trucks back in the day, which is why I think I started using a grinder on the kingpins and cutting bushings down.

Any which way, I am sure there will often be discrepancies in info, even from those working for / in the know at NHS or in the industry, as per a couple of things I noticed from that Jenkem article.

Did you still skate the old ones you have, or are they relegated to the old gear that you look at now and then category?

Everything I have of the older stuff is mostly still set up on boards, usually cruisers now, but none of it really gets skated much, as I prefer the comfort of the Stage XI for pretty much everything. 

I got some V2 Stage X 159s recently, along with some V1 Stage X 149s and the difference is ridiculous - same baseplates but the 159s are the new shape and skate like the Stage XI trucks but the older 149s still have the lower and bulked out hanger and don't turn half as well either.

No wonder people often skip those ones.

JM

• SLAP Pal
  • sup dog
« Reply #1937 on: January 29, 2024, 05:07:23 PM »
I shipped my 144 Hollows purchased this year back to NHS for warranty inspection.

They said there’s a “slight deformation on one of the hanger pivot points that is likely responsible for the issues you were experiencing with your trucks.”

They’re sending out new pair. Cool.

I’ve never submitted for claim, so it’s always possible they’re just sending me new trucks just to give good customer service, and there really is nothing wrong with them…. But I really don’t think that the pivot point nub should be able to wiggle freely back and forth in the trucks.

So we’ll see when the new ones come in

Party on.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1938 on: January 29, 2024, 06:35:21 PM »
I shipped my 144 Hollows purchased this year back to NHS for warranty inspection.

They said there’s a “slight deformation on one of the hanger pivot points that is likely responsible for the issues you were experiencing with your trucks.”

I’ve never submitted for claim, so it’s always possible they’re just sending me new trucks just to give good customer service, and there really is nothing wrong with them…. But I really don’t think that the pivot point nub should be able to wiggle freely back and forth in the trucks.

Party on.

The guy who broke his ti axle 149 truck put in a warranty, didn't hear back but then a set of 149 ti axle trucks turned up in the mail.

I guess sometimes, they want to see things, then other times they just send them straight out.

This is in AU though, so it could be different for various places round the world.

Stoked on getting new trucks any which way.

mvdbosch90

• Rep: 20
« Reply #1939 on: January 30, 2024, 08:37:29 AM »
I’m currently in doubt about whether to get Indy 159s or 169s. I recently got a Grosso 9.25 shaped deck that I currently ride with Ace AF1 66s, but I want to switch to Independent. Our local skateshop owner skates the same deck with 159s, but I think the 169’s would provide a bit more stability, at the cost of making the setup bulkier.

Any advice or experiences?

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1940 on: January 30, 2024, 08:49:26 AM »
...but I think the 169’s would provide a bit more stability, at the cost of making the setup bulkier.

Only you can answer that question. That said, you already know what the differences are (see above).

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1941 on: January 30, 2024, 09:49:52 AM »
I’m currently in doubt about whether to get Indy 159s or 169s. I recently got a Grosso 9.25 shaped deck that I currently ride with Ace AF1 66s, but I want to switch to Independent. Our local skateshop owner skates the same deck with 159s, but I think the 169’s would provide a bit more stability, at the cost of making the setup bulkier.

what wheels? If you are riding some wide boys you might want to go 159s.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2024, 10:18:58 AM by Xen »

JM

• SLAP Pal
  • sup dog
« Reply #1942 on: January 30, 2024, 12:06:55 PM »
Expand Quote

Party on.
[close]

The guy who broke his ti axle 149 truck put in a warranty, didn't hear back but then a set of 149 ti axle trucks turned up in the mail.

I guess sometimes, they want to see things, then other times they just send them straight out.

This is in AU though, so it could be different for various places round the world.

Stoked on getting new trucks any which way.
I’m guessing it would just take one photo to show a broke truck, but an over-machined pivot point would need a caliper measurement to see if it was tooled wrong.

I’m in the US, so probably easy and cheap for them to send me a prepaid UPS label.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1943 on: January 30, 2024, 01:36:20 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

what wheels? If you are riding some wide boys you might want to go 159s.

i’d measure the deck at the rear mounting holes, and size the axles to that, taking into account a vague notion of what wheels i wanted to use. shaped decks, with hot rod trucks, lead to me doing some near push-slams.

i like the way 169s look. they look rad.
i’ve never been stoked on how they skate, i just lose flip tricks.
159s are excellent.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2024, 04:28:16 PM by Ok »

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1944 on: January 30, 2024, 03:00:14 PM »

I posted this in the Indy 159 thread, but posting here as well.

I’m currently in doubt about getting these or the 169s. I recently got an Anti Hero Grosso 9.25 shaped deck. I’m currently skating it with Ace AF1 66’s that I had laying around but I want to switch to Indy. The local skateshop owner skates the same deck with Indy 159’s, but I feel like 169s could provide a bit more stability at the cost of making the setup more bulky.

What do you think?

Those Grosso 9.25 are 8.9 at the front axle and 8.6 at the back (if that) from setting one up a while back, so although I know others have 169s on it, the 159s just seem to fit a little better.

Ace have shorter hangers with longer axles, so check to see how much that sits out, because the Indy trucks will be on either side of that, 169s sitting out, 159s sitting in, even by only a few mm in total.

As to which is better, that is up to you - some people run trucks under the board with little wheel sight, others run them with trucks and wheels wider, even if they don't see the wheels a lot.

Wider = more stability
Not as wide = lighter (marginally) and more nimble.

The choice is yours really.

I have both and they are each good in their own way, but also depends on where you like to sit on coping or how a wider truck feels to grind / turn on as well.

People have even put 149s with super fat wheels on them and still not looked too bad, but wheel shape and size also has something to do with it as well.

* For what it is worth, I thought the last board Grosso posted had 159s before he went to Ace (but probably were 169s after all), but that doesn't mean people can't change it up and do their own thing either.  Can't find where he says it, but 159 or 169s are still ok.  His setup video from 2012 he says 169s, with the close up showing all washers on the outside to get the wheels in closer.

mvdbosch90

« Reply #1945 on: January 31, 2024, 08:39:32 AM »
Thanks for the tips and advice everyone :)

I ended up going for a set of 169s for the added stability. I just did a few laps at my local pumptrack and I’m very pleased with my choice! The board can turn sharp if I want to, but still rides very stable at higher speeds; it feels like a great setup.
I even popped a few ollies and despite the weight and 14.75” wheelbase, it popped remarkably well. I guess the extra heft and height of the Indy standard plays a part in this ;)

ggrimmedd

• Rep: 23
« Reply #1946 on: January 31, 2024, 09:55:33 AM »

I ended up going for a set of 169s for the added stability. I just did a few laps at my local pumptrack and I’m very pleased with my choice! The board can turn sharp if I want to, but still rides very stable at higher speeds; it feels like a great setup.
I even popped a few ollies and despite the weight and 14.75” wheelbase, it popped remarkably well. I guess the extra heft and height of the Indy standard plays a part in this ;)

How did you feel after changing from aces to indy? The last time I've riden indy they felt too wiggly in the middle even with tight trucks but it was 149s
:p

mvdbosch90

« Reply #1947 on: January 31, 2024, 10:26:18 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

How did you feel after changing from aces to indy? The last time I've riden indy they felt too wiggly in the middle even with tight trucks but it was 149s

I’ve been doubting between Ace and Indy for a while and switched between them regularly for the past time. I recognize what you describe, it feels like Aces spring back to center better than Indy which gives them a bit more center stability. However, I also feel like the ‘give’ that Indy has in the center helps me with popping and doing tricks. It feels as if they interfere less when popping and doing tricks. Even though I was riding the lighter Ace AF1 Hollow 66s on the Grosso deck, the pop felt better with the heavier Indy 169s

Overall, Aces turn sharper and deeper, and they feel a bit more twitchy and playful. I love to ride Aces with their sharp and deep turn on a cruiser, but for other setups I’m gonna stick to Indy.

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1076
« Reply #1948 on: January 31, 2024, 10:47:25 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I can switch between the two without noticing a huge difference. It's not like going from Ace to Venture; my experience is that the Indy Stage 11 skates very similar to an Ace. I haven't messed with the Stage 4s, but I imagine that's even more like an Ace.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1949 on: January 31, 2024, 01:37:35 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I can switch between the two without noticing a huge difference. It's not like going from Ace to Venture; my experience is that the Indy Stage 11 skates very similar to an Ace. I haven't messed with the Stage 4s, but I imagine that's even more like an Ace.

maybe i’m way off here, and this is stage 11 vs ace classics (i am about to try af1s again): grind goes to indy, all day. pop, indy (except for ace classic 55s, liked those a lot). turn is pretty easily ace.

i’ve heard more than a few folks say that they prefer steep birds for indy/ace, i don’t like steep birds, maybe that explains why i didn’t like the trucks as much