Author Topic: The Indy Thread  (Read 128946 times)

rob

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 192
  • Lance Mountain
Re: The Indy Thread
« Reply #2010 on: February 12, 2024, 11:40:10 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Wasn’t a better turning truck one of the reasons they went to 55mm on the stage 11 from 53.5 on the stage 10?
[close]

Yeah people wanted the feel of the Stage 7 and 8, more so than the lower Stage 9 and 10, so they went back to 55 mm tall on the Stage 11, with the forged baseplate coming in at 53.5 mm to keep others happy who wanted a lower truck.

Kind of funny cause there was always someone wanting something else, more turn, more height, more clearance, lower height, lower weight, etc.

Expand Quote

Back on topic, you guys think they’ll come out with a stage 1/2/3 remaster like the 4 to compete with the lurpiv/ a bigger 109/smaller 215?
[close]

At least everything works really well for now, so I really can't see a whole lot more options, but I don't know what the future holds at all in terms of re releases and other options or variations.

No doubt they will try to come up with something else in light of other trucks or trends, as it all goes.
[close]
It really does seem like Stage 11 is Indy’s final form.

Where else could they improve? (Other than manufacturing quality… I just got replacement 144 hollows and the pivot nubs in these also move side to side in the pivot cups. But at least the board goes straight. For now.)
[close]

I think there are probably a number of places where and Indy could lose some weight, but other than that, it has been like 12 years, so it seems like they have settled on the XI as the default iteration of an Independent Truck. It's currently being used by the best skaters in the world in street and transition, and clearly it works for both of the popular types of "trick" skateboarding, so there seems to be little need to change things (especially with the recent offerings of Stage IV). A Stage XII would probably alienate a lot of skaters, and they'd likely have to keep offering the XI, which would cost a fortune in tooling and in SKUs.

I think they should do a bigger 109, now we will have 3 versions of an Indy

The stage 11, the stage 4, and now the T hangar. I really like the T hangar and I love my 109 on my zip zinger but I’m not down to drop a hot bill for a set of lurpiv

But I agree a lighter indy would be the move, and possibly drop to 53mm height like the ace af1 but I think most vert/pool guys will hate it

Gotta also add the extra holes in the baseplates, like 4 holes so wheelbase adjustment is possible but then again the normal person would probably be confused and setup the trucks with one truck in and the other out, like a Chris cole situation(in his setup video he talks about his deck holes are drilled slightly forward 1/4-1/16 of an inch so his tail has a better tipping point) but I’d like to try that without having to drill my deck, but I think I already do that cause I ride my boards backwards(tail as a nose)
yes

j....soy.....

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1586
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2011 on: February 13, 2024, 09:09:09 AM »
You can’t get around that there is a big metal bumper…..that’s why thunders are so light….its just less truck. 

An Indy slim?  Slimdys? 

I think what they’ve done in the last five years is all the reason we should not be allowed anything new for a long time. 

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1115
« Reply #2012 on: February 13, 2024, 10:25:51 AM »
You can’t get around that there is a big metal bumper…..that’s why thunders are so light….its just less truck. 

An Indy slim?  Slimdys? 

I think what they’ve done in the last five years is all the reason we should not be allowed anything new for a long time.

agree. at a certain point, the truck just isn’t your thing.

am i wrong to notice more and more indys, particularly with the contest youths?

JM

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 248
  • sup dog
« Reply #2013 on: February 13, 2024, 10:28:06 AM »
Expand Quote

An Indy slim?  Slimdys? 

[close]

agree. at a certain point, the truck just isn’t your thing.

am i wrong to notice more and more indys, particularly with the contest youths?
By Jove, the kids are, indeed, alright ;D
I’m not letting my YouTube algorithm anywhere near that video.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1017
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #2014 on: February 13, 2024, 01:24:24 PM »
Pretty sure they could lose a little of the yoke meat (like the stage IV) but I'm not sure the weight savings is going to be worth the cost oif what it would take to get there....R&D, etc..

Just think, that retail disaster of a Mindy, and all that money spent (mold for the beefed up hanger...derp...the Shaft nut....derp...granted everyone is using it but Slappy), could have been put into exactly what we're talking about.

I'm back on Standard Hollow plates with Ti hangers and they're light enough.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1038
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2015 on: February 13, 2024, 02:56:52 PM »

How's this for lightening the truck up??

Took me a bit to realise what was going on here, but this guy took out the wings on his Stage IX trucks to make them look more like Ace / older versions.

He left the back heel wing in place for more support, but the other three, as in the other side and both on the front truck are taken down a lot.

The last frame is maybe the best one to see his work.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

WideFeet

• Rep: 82
« Reply #2016 on: February 13, 2024, 03:33:17 PM »
Not sure if this has been covered, but has anyone compared heights on Stage 4’s and Stage 11 Standards?

They’re both suppose to be 55mm tall, but Stage 4’s appear to be the same height as Forged Hollows, at 53.5.

I’m comparing brand new ones. I’ve tried multiple one and compared both sides of the axle.

The Stage 4 base plates are obviously thinner than Stage 11’s. Has anyone else talked about this or noticed?

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2017 on: February 13, 2024, 03:57:25 PM »
Not sure if this has been covered, but has anyone compared heights on Stage 4’s and Stage 11 Standards?

They’re both suppose to be 55mm tall, but Stage 4’s appear to be the same height as Forged Hollows, at 53.5.

I’m comparing brand new ones. I’ve tried multiple one and compared both sides of the axle.

The Stage 4 base plates are obviously thinner than Stage 11’s. Has anyone else talked about this or noticed?

The only time I had a look at them in another shop, compared them on the counter top to normal Stage XI trucks, seemed the same height, axle end to axle end from new / unused.

Besides the taller kingpin and different hanger shape, I hadn't noticed anything else about them, as they looked pretty much the same baseplate on the two sets sitting out and we had a pretty good look over them at the time.

That said, I am sure there will be differences, variations and other things people would notice from actually having them, more so than just looking at them once on a counter top.

Interesting if there were some other things to note.

:)

WideFeet

• Rep: 82
« Reply #2018 on: February 13, 2024, 04:07:59 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

The only time I had a look at them in another shop, compared them on the counter top to normal Stage XI trucks, seemed the same height, axle end to axle end from new / unused.

Besides the taller kingpin and different hanger shape, I hadn't noticed anything else about them, as they looked pretty much the same baseplate on the two sets sitting out and we had a pretty good look over them at the time.

That said, I am sure there will be differences, variations and other things people would notice from actually having them, more so than just looking at them once on a counter top.

Interesting if there were some other things to note.

:)

I’m going to compare again. I meant to post something about this a couple weeks ago and forgot. I’ll check again tomorrow and try to get pics and report back. Haha. Thanks for the input!

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 478
« Reply #2019 on: February 13, 2024, 11:43:12 PM »

Took me a bit to realise what was going on here, but this guy took out the wings on his Stage IX trucks to make them look more like Ace / older versions.

He left the back heel wing in place for more support, but the other three, as in the other side and both on the front truck are taken down a lot.

You know what? I'm gonna say it: that was stupid. They look dumb now. Hard to knock the effort/commitment as I post from a bed while he's doing that hahah

The trucks look like "we have Ace at home" and its this shit from Walmart lol

I'm guessing some structural integrity is compromised (even if only a little), the grind feels slightly different, and the weight to geo/torque is negatively affected now. Seems like the energy dispersion from impact (grinding or other) would weaken with less material to travel through along the hangar. Wonder how many grams were shaved off? Lighter than Thunders? About the same?
Super Champion Fun Zone

Rick Trapasso

• Rep: 10
« Reply #2020 on: February 14, 2024, 04:55:56 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

You know what? I'm gonna say it: that was stupid. They look dumb now. Hard to knock the effort/commitment as I post from a bed while he's doing that hahah

I'm guessing some structural integrity is compromised (even if only a little), the grind feels slightly different, and the weight to geo/torque is negatively affected now. Seems like the energy dispersion from impact (grinding or other) would weaken with less material to travel through along the hangar. Wonder how many grams were shaved off? Lighter than Thunders? About the same?

I disagree, I think they look sick. But why? They're def going to bend/break.

Mooseknuckle666

• Rep: 2
« Reply #2021 on: February 14, 2024, 06:00:13 AM »
So any tips on how I’d go about Frankenstein putting together Indy’s to make the lightest 52mm tall Indy

Sorry if that didn’t make sense

I want a light 52mm Indy because they are the shit
But I skate thunders because the height works for me

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1076
« Reply #2022 on: February 14, 2024, 06:33:49 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Nah, it's fine - that dude is a kook, and grinding an aluminum truck on an aluminum grinding wheel is idiotic.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

Rick Trapasso

« Reply #2023 on: February 14, 2024, 06:42:44 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Nah, it's fine - that dude is a kook, and grinding an aluminum truck on an aluminum grinding wheel is idiotic.

The 2.5" hardware and double riser pads didnt give it away first?

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2024 on: February 14, 2024, 04:46:56 PM »
So any tips on how I’d go about Frankenstein putting together Indy’s to make the lightest 52mm tall Indy

Honestly I don't think there really is any option for that.

The lightest hanger is the ti axle, but that at its lowest on a forged baseplate is 53.5 mm tall.

The lowest truck from current stock is the mid, even hollow, or with forged baseplate on a riser, but they are still not that light.

Cutting down bushings and changing geometry will also lower a truck, but that is usually not ideal for a few reasons.

Older versions of various trucks including the low or the Stage 9 / Stage IX were lower, so one of those hangers on whatever baseplate, usually forged with hollow kingpin, will reduce height and weight, but good luck getting the right size and in quality stock as they don't make them any more.

What width truck do you ride?

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2025 on: February 15, 2024, 03:18:08 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

I used to follow him, but he's such a kook/shitty attitude MF'r, that I stopped.

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1076
« Reply #2026 on: February 15, 2024, 03:30:28 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

I used to follow him, but he's such a kook/shitty attitude MF'r, that I stopped.

I know exactly what you mean; I had the same reaction. He runs a semi-popular account dedicated to the most micro-niche interest in the world, but treats it as if he is offering an important service to the world and we all take him for granted. Super weird.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2027 on: February 15, 2024, 03:42:09 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Honestly I don't think there really is any option for that.

The lightest hanger is the ti axle, but that at its lowest on a forged baseplate is 53.5 mm tall.

The lowest truck from current stock is the mid, even hollow, or with forged baseplate on a riser, but they are still not that light.

Cutting down bushings and changing geometry will also lower a truck, but that is usually not ideal for a few reasons.

Older versions of various trucks including the low or the Stage 9 / Stage IX were lower, so one of those hangers on whatever baseplate, usually forged with hollow kingpin, will reduce height and weight, but good luck getting the right size and in quality stock as they don't make them any more.

What width truck do you ride?

The closest you can get is with a Forged Mindy hollow (50.5mm) with a 1/16th riser = 52mm.

Or, you can just buy some new ultralite royals (note that the standard royals, no hollow BS are as light as a TI indy) and get the height you want with a great turn and no major drawbacks.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2028 on: February 15, 2024, 03:48:03 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

I know exactly what you mean; I had the same reaction. He runs a semi-popular account dedicated to the most micro-niche interest in the world, but treats it as if he is offering an important service to the world and we all take him for granted. Super weird.

I get the feeling he is posting more mods and different things from others, but gets mad when people keep asking him for more info on the specific mods the others make.  Well it is your account you are posting on...

Not a worry to me any which way - I don't usually ask anyone for anything in that regard, but I totally get what you guys are saying too.

Seen some of the comments and it seems like someone didn't take their happy juice that morning.

Rick Trapasso

« Reply #2033 on: February 18, 2024, 04:41:02 AM »
Those hockey trucks look kinda weird/gross.

They make me feel dirty.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2034 on: February 18, 2024, 02:32:38 PM »
Those hockey trucks look kinda weird/gross.

They make me feel dirty.

They're fucking stupid, texture and color 🤮; krux design team moved to indy...

Ok

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1115
« Reply #2035 on: February 18, 2024, 06:39:52 PM »
aaaawww man, i thought they looked decent. especially the lil guy in the CrOSs!&$@?$ spot.
end of days for hockey if my old uncool self likes something tho.

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 478
« Reply #2036 on: February 18, 2024, 11:57:58 PM »
Those Hockey trucks might look better if only the base plate had that textured pattern and the hangar was solid black or solid white with the logo. ORRR only the HOCKEY logo on the hangar was that texture. In theory, I like it. For actual use of my board, I don't think I'd be thrilled
Super Champion Fun Zone

Maccat

• Rep: 78
« Reply #2037 on: February 19, 2024, 04:14:14 AM »
At a glance I thought it would be more like AVE’s sig truck he had that was matte or had a pewter finish to it.

Print on hangers and all over paint just look bad to me. Like colored grip.

Anodized plates I wish we’d see more of.

Rick Trapasso

« Reply #2038 on: February 19, 2024, 07:11:29 AM »
Those Hockey trucks might look better if only the base plate had that textured pattern and the hangar was solid black or solid white with the logo. ORRR only the HOCKEY logo on the hangar was that texture. In theory, I like it. For actual use of my board, I don't think I'd be thrilled

Yea keep the baseplate as is and make the hanger unpolished raw and they would look 1000X better

Rick Trapasso

« Reply #2039 on: March 25, 2024, 04:14:20 AM »
Axel slipped on my damn 149 titaniums.

Guess I'm putting the thunders back on.

I thought axel slip was a thing of the past, or is this just another instance of questionable quality on the titaniums?