Author Topic: Snowboard Appreciation  (Read 55174 times)

AsianVegan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 100
Re: Snowboard Appreciation
« Reply #810 on: November 07, 2023, 08:47:04 PM »
Any Pals up in the mid-atlantic or northeast that can recommend the best/funnest hills in that area?
Will be in DC late December/Jan and a mate and have loose plans to visit PA or VT if anyone is local or has experience?
I'm over from Oz, so used to very shit snow and keen to ride smaller resorts that I wouldn't get a chance to otherwise. Thanks!   

formula420

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 86
« Reply #811 on: November 07, 2023, 09:30:44 PM »
Any ikons in colorado? Copper is my jam.

bartlaser

• Rep: 16
« Reply #812 on: November 08, 2023, 01:10:54 PM »
Any Pals up in the mid-atlantic or northeast that can recommend the best/funnest hills in that area?
Will be in DC late December/Jan and a mate and have loose plans to visit PA or VT if anyone is local or has experience?
I'm over from Oz, so used to very shit snow and keen to ride smaller resorts that I wouldn't get a chance to otherwise. Thanks!

All the big/main resorts in VT will be fucking insanely busy on the weekends around then, especially with the holidays.  You'll have a much more fun, and probably cheaper experience, if you can stick to weekdays.

I live in Northern VT.  A good small hill up here is Bolton Valley.  Family owned.  Chill local vibe.  Decent runs, and you might get offered whisky on the lift.  Also has night skiing.  At the top of the state is Jay Peak, which is medium-sized, has great terrain, fewer people, and is more affordable than somewhere like Stowe or Sugarbush.  But it's right near the Canadian border.

Lots of little hills and other resorts in southern / central VT too.  I just have less experience with those ones.

mj23

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 234
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #813 on: November 08, 2023, 02:29:24 PM »
i live and snowboard in the northeast. we went to the PA hills a lot as a kid and i really don't bother going back anymore. they barely get any snow, and aside from that they also have really tiny vertical drops. even just going to the catskills in NY is considerably better. you can find mountains with at least 1000' ft rideable vertical drop, many even a decent bit taller than that. to me the PA pocono hills are totally fine if you live in the area but absolutely not worth any special effort. but of course if youre planning to drive from the DC area you may not want to go much further north. VT mountains are generally better than PA or NY, but of course then it is even further from DC. they're all a lot of fun. killington is quite large. mount snow has great terrain parks. jay peak gets a ton of snow every year, like as much as some of the big utah/colorado resorts. and then there are tons of less expensive and blown-out options as well.

Lukabrazi

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 154
« Reply #814 on: November 08, 2023, 03:31:27 PM »
Any ikons in colorado? Copper is my jam.

I'm up in Steamboat, send me a DM if you ever come up this way and need someone to show ya around

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 246
« Reply #815 on: November 30, 2023, 10:13:18 PM »
First day of the season in Hakuba, Nagano, Japan.

From the forecasts thought there would be marginal cover, but had really decent calf-deep powder, and a lot more opened than I expected

Found a new early-season small gap hit, and tomahawked a few times goofing off trying other stuff.

Nice way to start the season before it gets crazy here
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

Lukabrazi

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 154
« Reply #816 on: December 02, 2023, 01:05:39 PM »

From the forecasts thought there would be marginal cover, but had really decent calf-deep powder, and a lot more opened than I expected

Found a new early-season small gap hit, and tomahawked a few times goofing off trying other stuff.

jelly Cucktard! I've been tracking flights for the last few years trying to come back out there but just haven't been able to pull the trigger .

We've started the season pretty terribly up here in NW CO . I think we are at 40% of average now after a small storm yesterday into today . Big totals apparently tonight into Monday. hoping we surpass 2ft because we have no base at all yet on anything under 9500ft.

took one lap today and it was a shit show. hopefully more terrain opens quick after this storm .

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #817 on: December 02, 2023, 04:47:31 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

jelly Cucktard! I've been tracking flights for the last few years trying to come back out there but just haven't been able to pull the trigger .

We've started the season pretty terribly up here in NW CO . I think we are at 40% of average now after a small storm yesterday into today . Big totals apparently tonight into Monday. hoping we surpass 2ft because we have no base at all yet on anything under 9500ft.

took one lap today and it was a shit show. hopefully more terrain opens quick after this storm .

Japan and the western US seem to get affected in  opposite ways with Pacific weather currents. US had a massive season last year, in Japan spring started in February.

It was the late 90s when I saw climate change really start to fuck with seasons and I gave up expecting anything ‘normal’.

Normal is gone, in Japan as well. We’ve had some extremely fucked seasons, including the worst snowfall on record 3 seasons ago. I’m not sure it’s worth an expensive trip just for the snow. Maybe if you plan to see the sights, and if the snow happens to be good, go riding, but even though my winter job depends on winter tourism, I can’t bullshit anyone and say “Japow” a sure thing.

In fact, I forsee a time in the future when the snowfall becomes so marginal that I will just have to say goodbye to a sport and lifestyle I’ve enjoyed since I was 2.

After growing up in cold winters with lots of natural snow and powder, seeing these increasingly erratic seasons is like watching a parent slowly die.

I’m just going to enjoy the time I have with her while she’s still around.

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

pointandclick

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 245
« Reply #818 on: December 02, 2023, 04:56:46 PM »
tempted to go ride more this season. been a long time since i put in on snowboarding.
used to film with the homies but it got more expensive and days off became fewer and fewer.
some 13+ year old footy

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #819 on: December 02, 2023, 05:22:30 PM »
tempted to go ride more this season. been a long time since i put in on snowboarding.
used to film with the homies but it got more expensive and days off became fewer and fewer.
some 13+ year old footy

Skills! And Sunshine! Nice edit, i has hoping to spy a Rude Boys sticker somewhere.

Dad_Brains

• Rep: 12
« Reply #820 on: December 02, 2023, 09:50:12 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Japan and the western US seem to get affected in  opposite ways with Pacific weather currents. US had a massive season last year, in Japan spring started in February.

It was the late 90s when I saw climate change really start to fuck with seasons and I gave up expecting anything ‘normal’.

Normal is gone, in Japan as well. We’ve had some extremely fucked seasons, including the worst snowfall on record 3 seasons ago. I’m not sure it’s worth an expensive trip just for the snow. Maybe if you plan to see the sights, and if the snow happens to be good, go riding, but even though my winter job depends on winter tourism, I can’t bullshit anyone and say “Japow” a sure thing.

In fact, I forsee a time in the future when the snowfall becomes so marginal that I will just have to say goodbye to a sport and lifestyle I’ve enjoyed since I was 2.

After growing up in cold winters with lots of natural snow and powder, seeing these increasingly erratic seasons is like watching a parent slowly die.

Hey cucktard, is there a way to get to Hakuba if I land at 7.30pm? Or is it waiting for the next morning? What’s the best way these days to get there? I saw Nagano snow shuttle seems like a good deal.

I’ve just seen some return flights from NZ come up for a cool $990 but the days/times are obviously not great due to being cheap (well the 21 hour overnight stopover in Fiji ain’t a bad thing…). So might have to lock that in early February next year

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #821 on: December 03, 2023, 05:40:13 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

Hey cucktard, is there a way to get to Hakuba if I land at 7.30pm? Or is it waiting for the next morning? What’s the best way these days to get there? I saw Nagano snow shuttle seems like a good deal.

I’ve just seen some return flights from NZ come up for a cool $990 but the days/times are obviously not great due to being cheap (well the 21 hour overnight stopover in Fiji ain’t a bad thing…). So might have to lock that in early February next year

Sorry, no idea. I live here, I have never had to get from the airport to Hakuba. Best look at the Hakuba travel groups on Facebook or just google it.

There are direct buses running in the winter, but not sure how late. You can also hire a private or share taxi to take you right to your hotel.

https://chuotaxi.co.jp/english/

tkp

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 529
    • swarm life avatar image
« Reply #822 on: December 06, 2023, 02:08:21 PM »
first day on the mountain yesterday in tahoe. a couple nights of car camping and some fast groomer runs. not the same as smashing through deep pow, but it did the job for the time being.

the difference in snow pack this year compared to last is night and day, but at least it's been cold enough for the resort to get enough runs open to get going fast.

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #823 on: December 08, 2023, 05:50:53 PM »
Had 4 days on snow, top of the highest Hakuba resorts open.

Been doing this for years, and thought I had all the decent jumps figured out but then at the end of the first day spied a ok-sized gap I never noticed before.

It’s not really doable later on in the year for a bunch of reasons, and figured out the speed and did it. Powder landing and perfect transition.

Had a photo shoot for the company I work with a couple days later and went back, did it again, super nice but the landing was getting chopped.

Second go at it, brought the other instructors there to try it, my boss shows up as well as the manager of the hill, and I fucking blow it, haha.

Popped a bit too hard, went forward, and did a full double tomahawk.

At 48, I was worrried mid-rag doll the this would be a season ended, but fuck me, the mediocre work I did at the gym paid off and I walked away without even a sore neck.

Exercise and stretching works.

SupremePizza

• Rep: 49
« Reply #824 on: December 11, 2023, 03:45:10 PM »
PNW here, patiently waiting for Crystal and Snoqualmie to get more snow before using one of the days on my Ikon pass

professional

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 127
« Reply #825 on: December 13, 2023, 08:34:52 AM »
Yo snowboard pals,

I'm planning a snowboard trip in January and it'll be the first time I've gone snowboarding in like 16+ years. A friend is going to hook me up with a bunch of gear, but what are some hot tips I should keep in mind for staying warm, general stamina/endurance or other things to keep in mind?

Dad_Brains

• Rep: 12
« Reply #826 on: December 14, 2023, 06:19:05 PM »
Yo snowboard pals,

I'm planning a snowboard trip in January and it'll be the first time I've gone snowboarding in like 16+ years. A friend is going to hook me up with a bunch of gear, but what are some hot tips I should keep in mind for staying warm, general stamina/endurance or other things to keep in mind?

Get boots that actually fit you. You can ride a shitty board with good boots and still have a good day, but shifty boots ruin your day from the start

Síota

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 810
« Reply #827 on: December 16, 2023, 08:56:50 AM »

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 114
« Reply #828 on: December 16, 2023, 09:47:18 AM »
Just booked a week in Avoriaz with my oldest son, hyped! He's really into snowboarding and avoriaz is THE most snowboarding oriented resort I've ever seen, so should be awesome. Strangely enough his brother has decided he does not want to ski anymore, so it'll be just the 2 of us as my SO does not like skiing either....
The only downside is I'm not going to skate till those holidays in February, just to be sure I don't get hurt. Last week I sprained my thumb pretty good skating a mini and it reminded me how fast shit can go wrong! (missed a bs disaster and somehow managed to send the board into my hand. a week later I'm just regaining usage of my thumb and hand...)

->Siota: that was sick! I think my Salomon Assassin board was designed by that wolle nivelt dude and everything I've seen of him was real cool.

MC3

• Rep: 133
  • "That's a Helluva price to pay for being stylish!"
« Reply #829 on: December 17, 2023, 08:17:55 PM »
Had my first day back on the mound of dirt that is barely passed off as a ski hill on Friday. They had a small park setup and it was a good time to shake off the cobwebs. They had a big tube kinda half buried and me and homie were "slappying" it all day long haha.

In other news, been watching this to get hyped to ride park, maybe even street this year. Still my favorite video in the last couple years

(Cool Trick GIF)

SupremePizza

• Rep: 49
« Reply #830 on: December 22, 2023, 01:36:42 PM »
Got my first day yesterday at Snoqualmie. Snow conditions aren't great but hike park was a lot of fun.

sbmfj

• Rep: 56
« Reply #831 on: December 31, 2023, 05:33:43 AM »
Hit the local in early Dec - We got a surprise dumps (around 12 inches / 30 cm) and the local was lit!! Powder runs all day!

And then it warmed up and rained and its all gone!! Viva the east coast!! Headed to Colorado (Steamboat) in a few weeks. Fingers crossed for good snow.

All the best ofr 2024 guys. Shred that pow!

@oldmanfrenchie - sounds like an epic trip - have funs and share a few pics if ya can!

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 114
« Reply #832 on: December 31, 2023, 08:31:22 AM »
thanks man!

this is a ski video but it's pretty epic....Wolle Nyvelt should come to Avoriaz do that shit on a snowboard.... btw Avoriaz is the only resort I know with no cars. Riding through town on a board is sick, feels like streetskating!

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 954
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #833 on: January 07, 2024, 10:23:09 AM »
I'm going to show you my neglected snowbloard

safe fonts

I was naturally good but I hate snow

Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #834 on: January 09, 2024, 02:42:19 AM »
Gnarliest snowboarder I knew in person rode for Atomic.

Apparently they made some good boards before they folded

fernando the skater

• Rep: 120
« Reply #835 on: January 10, 2024, 03:30:33 AM »
Blumchen snowboarding.

Skibb

• Rep: 68
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #836 on: January 10, 2024, 08:12:36 AM »
Did the season opener last weekend, and scored some powder. -25C but it was sunny and absolutely no wind, so it was awesome. Did some touring as well, and now I’m starting to think I should get a split…

tkp

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 529
    • swarm life avatar image
« Reply #837 on: January 10, 2024, 08:21:36 PM »
heavy storm riding today. nothing like going up a lift right before they decide to shut it down due to 100mph wind gusts. at times visibility didn't exist unless you were in the trees. being on a run and every where you look is just pure white, my mind ain't used to that.

over at palisades an inbounds avalanche caught 4 people and killed one. happened under one of the most infamous ski lifts in the world, kt-22.

https://unofficialnetworks.com/2024/01/10/inbounds-avalanche-burials-palisades-tahoe/

https://old.reddit.com/r/tahoe/comments/193f8re/palisades_ski_area_closed_avalanche_kt22_opening/

avalanche danger was a 3 out of 5 today.

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 954
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #838 on: January 10, 2024, 09:29:04 PM »
Gnarliest snowboarder I knew in person rode for Atomic.

Apparently they made some good boards before they folded

Yeah it's pretty good.

My brother sold me it . He rides Rome stuff now
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

mj23

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 234
« Reply #839 on: January 22, 2024, 12:24:17 PM »
just got two days in last week. coming off a surgery and some covid issues i am definitely not at the performance level i was last season, but i feel pretty lucky just to be back on snow at all.

checked out a few smaller/independently-owned resorts and really enjoyed the experience. the epic/ikon resorts around here definitely have more exciting terrain, but i'm kinda happy to trade it for better crowds, shorter lines, better conditions, etc. slow lifts make pow last longer anyway  ;D