Author Topic: Rob Meronek leaves SPOT  (Read 6575 times)

tkp

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 529
    • swarm life avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Rob Meronek leaves SPOT
« on: July 05, 2013, 01:00:35 PM »

era

Re: Rob Meronek leaves SPOT
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2013, 01:24:39 PM »
I would quit if I had to work with that corny Jorge dude as well.

sdscanz

• Rep: -3
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2013, 01:50:32 PM »
dudes a pretty funny writer too.

S.E.

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2013, 01:51:50 PM »
the whole situation at spot seems alittle weird.  can anyone elaborate on what happened over there?

J.R.

• Rep: -38
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2013, 02:04:24 PM »
Hah that explains why my order from the SPoT was messed up and is currently being handled in the exact opposite fashion that Rob would have done to help me out. Rob was always down to jump through hoops to make sure people were taken care of properly, and for that I will miss him.

ZEBRA

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2013, 02:17:29 PM »
the whole situation at spot seems alittle weird.  can anyone elaborate on what happened over there?

Didn't Lil' Wayne buy 50% of SPoT?? I think that's what happened. And then Nike being everywhere all over that fucking place.

Money might be getting in the way of things over there.....

NickDagger

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -32
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2013, 02:27:04 PM »
Who's got the real inside scoop?

I can attest to SPOT having really great customer service previously... Seems like some bad moves going on.
"DIS YA BOI NICK DAGGAL" -Arto Saari

ROCKxADIO420

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2013, 02:31:16 PM »
july 5th
my skatepark of tampa
my life
i
skatepark of tampa
schaefer
rob

Vibes of skating rocks

• Rep: -22
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2013, 03:27:49 PM »
Not for sure, but maybe when they started "Spotlight Productions" and started running almost every other contest maybe has something to do with it. Seems like since Spotlight started, things have gone down hill for SPOT.

Brett

• Rep: -14
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2013, 03:46:11 PM »
I have been wondering myself for the past few months.

People change and grow older, things get different.

This is just a little more info from Rob.

http://meronek.com

kook nukem

« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2013, 04:10:34 PM »
They have always had outstanding customer service whenever I've ordered from them. Best of luck, Rob.

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -936
  • I own Malibu? I am going to fuck you.
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2013, 05:18:36 PM »
Not for sure, but maybe when they started "Spotlight Productions" and started running almost every other contest maybe has something to do with it. Seems like since Spotlight started, things have gone down hill for SPOT.
It also seems like since then those guys have gotten a ton of exposure and might be moving on to bigger and better things. Didn't Clements help announce Street league on ESPN recently?
These dudes aren't pro skaters, they are dudes with jobs. Typically, the rule with a job is that you don't leave a safe harbor without a destination ready for you.
Are you a kook? If you would say this, the answer is “YES”
I quit skating for a time due to piling out

Fenzadill

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 91
  • lemme get the 4 dollar one
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2013, 05:40:34 PM »
this is crazy as fuck.
example. i cant cast a spelll or love potion on a girl and she falls total in love for me
but i can show a girl my tv youtube clip on my or her phone. but there's a difference ok

Vibes of skating rocks

• Rep: -22
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2013, 06:22:15 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
It also seems like since then those guys have gotten a ton of exposure and might be moving on to bigger and better things. Didn't Clements help announce Street league on ESPN recently?
These dudes aren't pro skaters, they are dudes with jobs. Typically, the rule with a job is that you don't leave a safe harbor without a destination ready for you.

Yea he did some online announcing for Street League Brazil, and i I remember correctly he mentioned he is the trick consultant for them--tells the announcers what tricks went down since Tony Hawk seems to blurt out wrong tricks from time to time and the other guy is whatever.

He also runs EXCEL Management http://excelforward.com/
« Last Edit: July 05, 2013, 06:28:27 PM by Vibes of skating rocks »

shit_for_brains

« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2013, 06:34:07 PM »
He probably got a job making better money, like everyone else who isn't a professional skateboarder.

CossRooper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 140
  • What are you up to, drawing leafs?
    • timecube avatar image
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2013, 06:49:58 PM »
this is crazy as fuck.

For real. Rob really was the internet face of SPoT for me, both with the shop and the whole site/youtube/facebook etc. Dude seems like a real swiss army knife that gets shit done, this is going to be a huge blow for SPoT across the board and I don't envy Brian Schaefer right now whatsoever. Saw that dude walking out of the park last friday night and he looked beat as shit. Running Damn Am all over the place as well as the of the biggest contests in skateboarding (Tampa Am+Pro),  the webstore, running a full on media production with SPoT life, and the walk-in store and actual park itself is not a one man job.

I really fear for SPoT. Being from around tampa, the park, shop, and contests were literally my only connection to real skateboarding during my childhood (early 2000's, basically a mecca to me and all my friends) and always a huge staple when I started skating again in highschool a few years ago.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2013, 06:52:38 PM by CossRooper »

Jack Hoffe

« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2013, 08:22:01 PM »
Expand Quote
this is crazy as fuck.
[close]

For real. Rob really was the internet face of SPoT for me, both with the shop and the whole site/youtube/facebook etc. Dude seems like a real swiss army knife that gets shit done, this is going to be a huge blow for SPoT across the board and I don't envy Brian Schaefer right now whatsoever. Saw that dude walking out of the park last friday night and he looked beat as shit. Running Damn Am all over the place as well as the of the biggest contests in skateboarding (Tampa Am+Pro),  the webstore, running a full on media production with SPoT life, and the walk-in store and actual park itself is not a one man job.

I really fear for SPoT. Being from around tampa, the park, shop, and contests were literally my only connection to real skateboarding during my childhood (early 2000's, basically a mecca to me and all my friends) and always a huge staple when I started skating again in highschool a few years ago.

place WAS mecca for a very long time.

Look at SPOT this way - - > SPOT is Guns And Roses.
Schafer is AXL , Clements is SLASH, Jorge is Izzy and Meronek is Duff. 

They were around and paid dues for years and finally got big, made hella money, went big and bigger with online shops, a off site shop, even a deck brand at one point ( Far East ) and finally a bar. Axl makes the decisions and AXL  IS GUNS AND ROSES AND GETS WHAT HE WANTS.  YOU DONT LIKE IT?  LEAVE. YOURE DEAD TO ME.   

Now you have the former crew off doing what they have been doing for the past few years in the skate industry but now without having to deal with AXL's bullshit (use your illusion). 
so, now you see or visit SPoT and for a contest knowing the people who built the place are gone and it's just a name now or whatever and remember '' the OG SPoT '' and how awesome it was when shit was hella legit.  You then see the former members together doing newer projects that just seem to make sense and work pretty good....while not '' totally awesome '' (loaded, slashs snake pit, izzys band, velvet revolver etc) they still kinda fucking rock and are legit as fuck.  cue the cold November rain.

busstopmag

• Rep: 16
    • BusStop avatar image
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2013, 10:02:10 PM »
I thought it was kind of meaningful when he stated "when Schaefer decided he couldn't work with clements" or something like that, that it was pretty much over for him too. I've heard some friends and pros say that Schaefer is nuts, or he's kinda losing it, but I don't know if I see it that way. I think they all want different things, and he wants it to be the way he wants it to be. On the other hand, I think they lost a great dude with Clem, who is pretty much the best skateboard business guy I've ever made the acquaintance of. Such a real, genuine and friendly guy. And Rob, that's a whole lotta talent right there. Sad to see him go.

e.d.

• Rep: 65
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2013, 10:31:23 PM »

SlayerKiller

• Rep: -37
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2013, 03:11:49 AM »
Hah that explains why my order from the SPoT was messed up and is currently being handled in the exact opposite fashion that Rob would have done to help me out. Rob was always down to jump through hoops to make sure people were taken care of properly, and for that I will miss him.

SlayerKiller

• Rep: -37
« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2013, 03:21:55 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
this is crazy as fuck.
[close]

[close]

They were around and paid dues for years and finally got big, made hella money, went big and bigger with online shops, a off site shop, even a deck brand at one point ( Far East ) and finally a bar. Axl makes the decisions and AXL  IS GUNS AND ROSES AND GETS WHAT HE WANTS.  YOU DONT LIKE IT?  LEAVE. YOURE DEAD TO ME.   

Now you have the former crew off doing what they have been doing for the past few years in the skate industry but now without having to deal with AXL's bullshit (use your illusion). 
so, now you see or visit SPoT and for a contest knowing the people who built the place are gone and it's just a name now or whatever and remember '' the OG SPoT '' and how awesome it was when shit was hella legit.  You then see the former members together doing newer projects that just seem to make sense and work pretty good....while not '' totally awesome '' (loaded, slashs snake pit, izzys band, velvet revolver etc) they still kinda fucking rock and are legit as fuck.  cue the cold November rain.

Holy FUCK!!! You don't realize how long I have been racking my brain, trying to remember the name of the board company they were running out of there.  Didn't Paul Zitzer  have ownership in this?

Leaky McBurnside

• Rep: 10
« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2013, 05:18:35 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
this is crazy as fuck.
[close]

[close]

Where does DJ Wade play into the G n R scenario? Obvious thought, he is the coke head friend from the Rainbow Room/ Troubadour days they take along for the ride as the fame and cash roll in.

Having known and worked with the SPoT guys for years, Rob was the piece that held the chaos together. He was never concerned with getting his name in lights, being in front of the camera or being the captain of the "Party Team". Whenever there was something breakdown at an event, Rob was the go to. Always made Schaefer look like the hero.

carbonite

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 490
    • frozen in carbonite avatar image
« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2013, 08:16:11 AM »
i hope it doesn't become Skatepark of Tampa brought to you by Nike...or some shit
had a fucking amazing time when i went down there a few years ago, and they have a very powerful brand

Ybor 4EVER, Res bar 4EVER

busstopmag

• Rep: 16
    • BusStop avatar image
« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2013, 09:08:13 AM »
It's been the NIKE SKATEPARK OF TAMPA for some time, now.

skate_bored

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 56
« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2013, 10:28:24 AM »
from what i've heard the Clements thing and now this stem from the fact that the 3 of the worked incredibly hard to build what Tampa is today, but in the end Schaefer is the sole "owner" and has no interest in sharing that. basically telling them "you work for me".

sucks to hear, but this happens with a lot of businesses/companies. owners need to realize this faulty model will hurt them in the long run. Meronek and Clements should have received ownership at some point for helping make tampa what it is today.

luckily for both of them they also set themselves up to be able to leave at some point and have great opportunities and other things going for them.

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1499
  • Illusion Flip
« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2013, 10:41:54 AM »
The root of all these problems could be traumatic brain injury stemming from this:

Upgrayedd

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 446
  • Fuck Tom Knox
« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2013, 06:27:34 PM »
'13 is fucking weird for pro skateboarding

Slap Gravitational Waveboarding Magazine:
"We can't do it yet, but when we can it'll be sick."
-grim

Hulkamaniac

« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2013, 06:37:14 PM »

Where does DJ Wade play into the G n R scenario? Obvious thought, he is the coke head friend from the Rainbow Room/ Troubadour days they take along for the ride as the fame and cash roll in.

?

Jack Hoffe

« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2013, 07:21:28 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
this is crazy as fuck.
[close]

[close]

[close]

Having known and worked with the SPoT guys for years, Rob was the piece that held the chaos together. He was never concerned with getting his name in lights, being in front of the camera or being the captain of the "Party Team". Whenever there was something breakdown at an event, Rob was the go to. Always made Schaefer look like the hero.

DJ Wade is Dizzy Reed.   Rob WAS the piece that held together the chaos which is why he is Duff. Holding down the backline while slash and axl welcome you to the jungle.  scotty the body is steven adler

Fenzadill

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 91
  • lemme get the 4 dollar one
« Reply #29 on: July 08, 2013, 08:48:00 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
this is crazy as fuck.
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

DJ Wade is Dizzy Reed.   Rob WAS the piece that held together the chaos which is why he is Duff. Holding down the backline while slash and axl welcome you to the jungle.  scotty the body is steven adler

^That works.

Nike has had their hooks in for years. $$$
example. i cant cast a spelll or love potion on a girl and she falls total in love for me
but i can show a girl my tv youtube clip on my or her phone. but there's a difference ok