Author Topic: Donny Barley Can Ollie on Bricks!!!  (Read 6002 times)

LAC

Re: Donny Barley Can Ollie on Bricks!!!
« Reply #30 on: June 10, 2008, 04:02:07 PM »
All the bricks Barley ollies on are hella hard to skate. Shut up.  :-X

bothersome

« Reply #31 on: June 10, 2008, 04:04:35 PM »
The way I feel about it is Donny Barley(or anyone who I think falls into his class) has been pro for quite some time, put out tons of ground breaking parts/ads and doesn't need to do anything he doesn't want to. His get familiar part was really good and diverse, showing how and what he skates. If you wanna see someone who is a ledge technician watch pj or mike mo. Kids killing themselves, the list is too long. Donny and a number of other people out there prefer to search out strange hard to skate spots and skate them. Sometimes it involves a hard trick, others something simple and stylish, but either way you know the spot is grimy and hard to get something at. I realize some don't appreciate this type of skating but it always interests me way more than crazier tricks being done at the same spots. I can appreciate Travis Stenger or Ted Degros too, but I'll always search out the guys I can identify with.
Everyones list of untouchables is different, but there are guys I'm just stoked to see out skating still. I was around in there heyday and today they still are involved with it one way or another, doing it how they want and not worrying about everyone else. Plus I always have liked the majority of east coast heads more than people from elsewhere.Plus it's donny, so yeah.

Derk the Jerk

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 61
  • Formerly Derka Derk
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #32 on: June 10, 2008, 04:17:36 PM »
barley's fs 360 alone deserves him a pro board.

Plus that guy is productive! That guy releases a part a year and always makes it look good. For me video parts shouldn't only be focused on doing the newest tricks, style alone can more than just sufice. Plus that comment on barley pushing too much in his part is crazy! Parts should be filled with pushing, that means they're skating not just falling down stairs/rails etc.

L.S

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 144
« Reply #33 on: June 10, 2008, 04:40:16 PM »
riding walls is killing it.
LS stands for little sidekick, lil shit lil slug/slime etc etc

andvine

• Rep: -1
« Reply #34 on: June 10, 2008, 04:41:25 PM »
Does anyone else see a little donny barley in dennis busenitz?
All Hail Cardiel!
http://www.invasionskateshop.com $27.95 graphic decks US Made

BriDen

« Reply #35 on: June 10, 2008, 05:02:37 PM »
His get familiar part was really good and diverse, showing how and what he skates.
Very true. I like to think that Zoo York just doesn't know what they're doing when it comes to shooting ads (they sure don't know how to make a good vid commercial), so they try too hard to keep it "east coast" and the pics/spots are not necessarily Donny's choosing (if that makes sense.)

dopEST

« Reply #36 on: June 10, 2008, 05:25:01 PM »
Ahhh hating on Donny, a east coast legend! who the fuck are you? Of course hes going to get older? you cant be the same age forever, I know Donny personally and hes one of the sickest dudes ever, yet alone pro. you can't win with some of these slap forum losers who have no life, so I wont go on.  I just saw this forum about Donny and feel like flying you out to that spot to see if you can even push on bricks, fool.

Edward Penishands

« Reply #37 on: June 10, 2008, 05:53:15 PM »
Does anyone else see a little donny barley in dennis busenitz?

i always thought chris senn when i first saw busenitz

NickDagger

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -32
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #38 on: June 11, 2008, 12:11:55 AM »
I lol'd when I saw the thread title.

You all know it's true, his recent skateboardmag interview and part in get familar were pretty good, but he has had like 70% of his tricks in the past few years be something like a backside ollie on a bank.
"DIS YA BOI NICK DAGGAL" -Arto Saari

Tuna

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 225
« Reply #39 on: June 11, 2008, 12:54:47 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Plus that guy is productive! That guy releases a part a year and always makes it look good. For me video parts shouldn't only be focused on doing the newest tricks, style alone can more than just sufice. Plus that comment on barley pushing too much in his part is crazy! Parts should be filled with pushing, that means they're skating not just falling down stairs/rails etc.

unless a majority of your part is you pushing down the street in slow motion and then right when you think theres going to be a trick it cuts to another angle of the same push. thats the thing about static 3 i despised.

MexicanSpaniard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 694
  • S&H
« Reply #40 on: June 11, 2008, 08:11:37 AM »
A good backside ollie says a lot about how "good" a person is.

Webb97

• Rep: -6
« Reply #41 on: June 11, 2008, 08:19:35 AM »
wow im pretty happy with where this thread went so far.

and yeah it's obvious im not the skater donny is, if i was i wouldnt be working at a job where i'd be talking shit about pro skaters on these intranets.

i think he's a good skate and all, i'm just getting tired of seeing his zoo adds when it could be bassett doing something way better.

MexicanSpaniard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 694
  • S&H
« Reply #42 on: June 11, 2008, 08:27:33 AM »
There are no good Zoo ads.

LENNIEKIRKSBIBLE

« Reply #43 on: June 11, 2008, 08:31:06 AM »
While this thread is regular. I will just say I was pretty bummed out on the double page photo in the new Skateboarder of Donny doing a tight as fuck bank to bank gapper, that Puleo ended his Static 2 part with, um about 2 years ago now. At least I'm pretty sure it's the same gap/bank/spot.

Oh well.

Donny is killer.

Aside from the whole Zoo York thing I mean.

Derk the Jerk

• Rep: 61
  • Formerly Derka Derk
« Reply #44 on: June 11, 2008, 08:36:04 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

unless a majority of your part is you pushing down the street in slow motion and then right when you think theres going to be a trick it cuts to another angle of the same push. thats the thing about static 3 i despised.

That goes without saying.
I ment to say that pushing implies skating lines, which involves tricks.

picklesickshuv-it

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 30
« Reply #45 on: June 11, 2008, 11:15:35 AM »
I'm just a square going nowhere

BornToLose

• Rep: 0
« Reply #46 on: June 11, 2008, 12:04:03 PM »
I know what he's saying because it just seems like the past couple ads he's had were just ollies on brick banks.  I'm a huge fan of Barley and he'll always be one of my top 5 favorite skaters, but when you look at what he's done in the past and then what he's had recently, it just doesn't seem like the Barley i grew up watching.  Me personally, i expected a lot more from his "Get Familiar" part.  I was expecting the Barley that charges at everything 100mph and kills it in a manner of which it seems like he's just cruising around, trying to destroy anything in sight.  There were some tricks that reminded me of that old Barley, but the part in a whole i just wasn't really feeling.  You can't deny his talent, i was just expecting more.

this part always gets me siked to skate.  yeah it was an Element Tour video but he just fucking rips. 

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/3gPuDOna030&hl=en">

Bipsmound

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 803
    • Turd Magazine avatar image
« Reply #47 on: June 11, 2008, 01:05:13 PM »
I thought this thread was gonna be about Barley strapping some bricks to his board.  It'd be like a DIY version of softtrucks.  Perhaps a secret training technique passed down from Reese Forbes.

Alan

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2539
« Reply #48 on: June 11, 2008, 01:13:50 PM »
psyched
Hosin' out the cab of his pickup truck
He's got his 8-track playin' really fuckin' loud

OldDirtyBastardChild

• Rep: 9
  • Im The ODB And I Cant See
« Reply #49 on: June 11, 2008, 01:17:24 PM »
oh wow, i just did a kickflip in a sandbox. this sandbox is so hard to skate, a simple kickflip should turn my shitty ass pro.

AND WHO THE FUCK IS DUMB ENOUGH TO SAY I WOULD RATHER SKATE A SHITTY SPOT THAN A COUPLE PERFECT RAILS OR LEDGES.

get your head out of your ass teacup and think for a second.    picture rollin up to a new spot..

"holy shit!? this place is perfect... perfect ground perfect ledges.. somewhere i can try so much shit and have fun"

or

"holy shit?!.. this place is perfect.. shitty cracks shitty rocks im gonna catch.. somewhere i can do an ollie and eat shit 40 times due to the shitty spot itself"

now dont get me wrong i like skating shitty spots sometimes too just to see if i can skate them

BUT DONT FUCKIN TELL ME you like rollin to a shitty spot better than a perfect one.

LENNIEKIRKSBIBLE

« Reply #50 on: June 11, 2008, 01:25:59 PM »
You're just never going to understand this are you...

I mean you almost have a point: Who wants Shit When they can have Champagne?

But then you forget: for every dude that likes banging perfect ass every day, there's the dudes that love nothing more than jerking their chicken to a hairy sweaty armpit, or some chick with a wooden leg.

Fetishes my friend.

Things that aren't normal, aren't even fun really, but give you a boner none the less.

Strokes For Folks.

Just stop hating on people for liking East Coast "style" skateboarding.

Plus while I might like to skate the easiest thing in the park, but that doesn't mean I want to watch every fucker else skate it too.

ChildoftheGhetto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1323
  • Nathaniel Turner with a burner
« Reply #51 on: June 11, 2008, 01:31:57 PM »

But then you forget: for every dude that likes banging perfect ass every day, there's the dudes that love nothing more than jerking their chicken to a hairy sweaty armpit, or some chick with a wooden leg.

Fetishes my friend.

Things that aren't normal, aren't even fun really, but give you a boner none the less.

Strokes For Folks.

Plus while I might like to skate the easiest thing in the park, but that doesn't mean I want to watch every fucker else skate it too.
I don't think anyone hates the "style" of skateboarding. It's that lame ass elitist attitude.

Tedpod

• Rep: -16
« Reply #52 on: June 11, 2008, 01:33:44 PM »
nobody said theyd rather skate a shitty spot....but id rather see a backside ollie on a  brick bank that took some fucking gusto to skate , than some flippy dip trick over a beige picnic table with all the run up and landing in the world..its just raw..and you should respect it

fuckingvegan

« Reply #53 on: June 11, 2008, 01:39:36 PM »
It is easy for kids to hide behind their computer and talk shit, you see how little footage there is from these guys in the "show yourself skating" thread.

ChildoftheGhetto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #54 on: June 11, 2008, 01:42:37 PM »
It is easy for kids to hide behind their computer and talk shit, you see how little footage there is from these guys in the "show yourself skating" thread.
What exactly does that have to do with anything? If that mattered slap boards wouldn't even be able to exist.

Wizard Fuck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 23
« Reply #55 on: June 11, 2008, 02:16:46 PM »
Expand Quote

Fetishes my friend.

Strokes For Folks.

[close]
I don't think anyone hates the "style" of skateboarding. It's that lame ass elitist attitude.

I don't know how you of all people could even say that....
The answer is Dutch Masters, you fat fucking catastrophe.

ChildoftheGhetto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #56 on: June 11, 2008, 02:24:21 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Fetishes my friend.

Strokes For Folks.

[close]
[close]

I don't know how you of all people could even say that....
I'm not elitist, I'm far from it.

Wizard Fuck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 23
« Reply #57 on: June 11, 2008, 02:29:03 PM »
I never said you were.....
But your comments are essentially saying stuff like "East coast sucks" "Fred Gall sucks because he does tricks I don't like" "West coast is better than east coast" "Creative skateboarders are lame, because they don't do stuff I like" "East coast can't skate handrails like Southern Cali skaters"  "Slap posters are dumb" "Slap skateboarders suck"

« Last Edit: June 11, 2008, 02:31:21 PM by KrookedEyes »
The answer is Dutch Masters, you fat fucking catastrophe.

L.S

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 144
« Reply #58 on: June 11, 2008, 02:56:31 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
What exactly does that have to do with anything? If that mattered slap boards wouldn't even be able to exist.

for once i absolutely agree with you.
LS stands for little sidekick, lil shit lil slug/slime etc etc

Hatechild

« Reply #59 on: June 11, 2008, 04:00:19 PM »
Watching Donny skate makes me happy.