Author Topic: Say something honest..  (Read 54303 times)

TheBoognish

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 129
Re: Say something honest..
« Reply #180 on: February 13, 2020, 06:49:58 AM »
I have never felt so unmotivated in my life with pretty much everything since I started working 9 to 5 in an office in 2018.

I left a good paying office job and took a pay cut to work in a factory. Awesome schedule, awesome co-workers, great conditions (unionized) and my days go by so fast and best of all, no clients or getting yelled at on the phone. If someone yells at me here, I yell back.

I was going insane working an office job, I’d spend days not answering my cell phone just so I could be left alone and not be bothered. I hated that job so much and it turned me into a bitter asshole for a while.

Best move I’ve ever done for myself.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2020, 06:52:57 AM by TheBoognish »

Tracersbrother

• Rep: -195
« Reply #181 on: February 13, 2020, 06:55:12 AM »
I'm only writing these things down for this thread. I don't like to be a hater. I'm all for anyone's idea of skating. These are just my opinions:

I don't want to be as strict as Ricky Oyola when it comes to judging street skating but I can't help it. I don't like turn arounds (do a 180 trick or set up the line so you do a trick in the stance you landed) or switch mongo (push switch). I still love all the classic skate footage I grew up on but I just wish every switch mongo push was a switch push. I can't help it. One of my favorite parts, for example, is Lavar McBride in Trilogy. Most of the time he does switch mongo but then sometimes he does a switch push... and his switch push is good!

I don't like "dork tricks" as we rudely called them when I grew up. I will make an exception for tasteful no complies. One is enough for a part. I really don't like fastplants. I like creative street skating but I'd much rather watch simple classic trick selection.

I don't like overly close fish eye shots. I like close, but there is such thing as too close. I don't like tilted shots. I want the horizon to be level in the frame the whole time.

I really enjoy watching transition and vert skating more now than as a kid, but I still can't do it. Even rock to fakies on little quarters scare me when I do them. I hope to one day have access to a mini ramp and finally learn it. It looks so fun. Pivot fakies are true thing of beauty and I want that trick.

I have come to really respect people who pad up and wear a helmet. I'm even considering it to get me to start skating transition.

I cannot slappy. I make the excuse that my city has very few curbs conducive to the trick and generally the concrete just totally sucks here.

I took a break from skating from 2006 to 2012.

You're pretty much spot on with the way I feel. I always hated when a dude would push switch mongo and switch regular in a part. Just push switch regular. If Its gross to normally push mongo then switch is the same. Half the tricks nowadays would get made fun of from my skate crew in the 90s. All this body varial and no comply and jump off your board then kick it to a wall and jump back on is wack. Fancy lad is wack. All these kids nowadays get props for doing wack shit. And vert will always be boring to a real street skater. That's why they made vert buttons on the vcr. Fast forward

50mm

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 278
  • Take a chance, Columbus did!
« Reply #182 on: February 13, 2020, 06:58:20 AM »
I am 34 and have been skateboarding for 22 years ... I have never dropped in.
I got my friend into skating in like 7th grade. We are 30 now. He is a little heavier but can carve a bowl better than me, skate transition better than me and he never left skating for an extended time like me. He’s been skating almost 20 years and has never done a kickflip because he is still scared to commit. He sure as fuck will lie about it though. Whenever we skate he challenges me to a game of SKATE and acts like he is better than me now. I always start the game with a kickflip and just take him apart lol. It doesn’t matter if you haven’t done something in skating as long as you ain’t fronting.

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1486
  • Illusion Flip
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #183 on: February 13, 2020, 07:01:53 AM »
I cannot slappy. I make the excuse that my city has very few curbs conducive to the trick and generally the concrete just totally sucks here.
This motivated me to start my artisanal concrete adventures. And now, to reiterate, the best curb in my city is sitting in my basement at my beck and call. Don't be 45 years old like me when you finally realize how easy life should have been all these years.

donkey

• Rep: -67
  • donk
« Reply #184 on: February 13, 2020, 07:12:51 AM »
frontside boneless to front tail has to be the worst trick i’ve ever seen

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 628
« Reply #185 on: February 13, 2020, 07:17:12 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
My best friend died almost exactly 6 years ago to the day, and I haven't really skated since.

I think as we got older (late 30's), I only kept skating because it's what we always did together since we were 12.
[close]
R.I.P. Why not have a little sesh in his memory?

Vans as a "core" brand is pretty delusional, but try explaining that to some dumbass billboard kid who also has the shirt to match in case people are confused.
[close]

I can tell you this from personal knowledge. I’m pretty sure I’ve stated it a number of times, so it feels like I’m beating a dead horse, but when VANS sold themselves to VF Corp they had an extremely unique contract situation where essentially they got to keep creative control of the brand, while also keeping complete control of the skate sides money allocation including contests/charity. The only thing VF corp has control of is production and who is selling the product(not just core shops), but the actual marketing and skate team and skate parks and contest series are being controlled by those that were in charge before the change. Therefore comparing them to say Nike or Adidas is a joke because they didn’t completely sell out.
[close]

So basically what your saying is they are owned by a corporation which could hypothetically shut them down at any time if its not profitable.
[close]

No there’s something in the contract preventing this or else VF has to give it back over with all the growth they gave it as well. It’s very complicated but the people who told me, I trust very heavily, prolly more then anyone out there as a matter of fact.
[close]

Let's just say this is wrong....okay.
Why would you skate shoes other than Vans? Maybe you like the way they look, feel, the comfort-ability  they afford your feet.

I just don't understand why anyone would wear anything else than Vans or Emerica's. Trust me I'm pigeonholing myself and I know this, but when I see someone skating in Nike's or Adidas it just looks wrong

i've skated multiple pairs of vans over the years, had a pair of crockett's that i couldn't skate for over an hour before my feet would start hurting. had tnt sgs with terrible board feel and the outsole started coming off in strips. skated one pair of NB (617s) last summer. the nbs shit all over every pair of vans i've skated in terms of comfort (because believe it or not some people need arch support) and durability. ill take being able to walk when im 30 over being the bitter old jaded "core" guy in the corner.

ok boomer

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1030
  • Gnar Kook
« Reply #186 on: February 13, 2020, 07:25:58 AM »
Love Vans, but I can't skate in them, much less walk for a long time. Shit is terrible for ya hooves.
Cupsoles all day baby.
Bring on the corporate Nike and Adidas, so my feet feel good during/after skating!

iwishilivedinfinla

« Reply #187 on: February 13, 2020, 07:31:54 AM »
the whole, land someting gnarly, then wipe your face with your shirt thing really pisses me off

FrostedPancake

• Rep: 0
« Reply #188 on: February 13, 2020, 07:34:34 AM »
I feel like people who hate passionately on skaters wearing nike/adidas have some deep jock hating complex stemming back from high school where the dudes in basketball shoes got the girls they were after or something. Why you really care what another man wears on his feet

Lenny the Fatface

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 330
« Reply #189 on: February 13, 2020, 07:54:26 AM »
Besides a select few skaters, I don’t think skateboarding has ever been as boring as it is now.

Pro skating hasn't been progressive in years, maybe since people went crazy with wallrides during late 00s and early 10s.

But I dig the hell out of the diversity of the local scenes lately, multi generational, a lot more women, and a lot of skating for the fun of it instead of building a bag of professional approved tricks.

cricketclub

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 511
« Reply #190 on: February 13, 2020, 07:56:10 AM »
I feel like people who hate passionately on skaters wearing nike/adidas have some deep jock hating complex stemming back from high school where the dudes in basketball shoes got the girls they were after or something. Why you really care what another man wears on his feet
Handsome debonair fella, Got the Mellow Yellow bezel, Black rims on the Phantom same color Dr. Pepper.

Lowcalcium

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -100
« Reply #191 on: February 13, 2020, 08:05:43 AM »
Expand Quote
I have never felt so unmotivated in my life with pretty much everything since I started working 9 to 5 in an office in 2018.
[close]

I left a good paying office job and took a pay cut to work in a factory. Awesome schedule, awesome co-workers, great conditions (unionized) and my days go by so fast and best of all, no clients or getting yelled at on the phone. If someone yells at me here, I yell back.

I was going insane working an office job, I’d spend days not answering my cell phone just so I could be left alone and not be bothered. I hated that job so much and it turned me into a bitter asshole for a while.

I took a heavy pay cut after a quit a research analyst job after week. I had my own office and full benefits. But the work was so mind numbing, pretty much just doing Pivot Tables in Excel for 8 hours a day. I quit and went back to a part-time job for a couple months until I found a full-time gig I liked better. It was totally worth it!
« Last Edit: February 13, 2020, 08:08:15 AM by Lowcalcium »

FOGDOG

• Rep: 10
« Reply #192 on: February 13, 2020, 08:26:12 AM »
the whole, land someting gnarly, then wipe your face with your shirt thing really pisses me off

I call that "the Kyle Walker."

sfa

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 178
« Reply #193 on: February 13, 2020, 08:33:46 AM »
the slap message board is a pale comparison to it's former self
I need a coffee

DarthDingusMaximus

« Reply #194 on: February 13, 2020, 08:39:14 AM »
I abhor the roll away trick after a heavy rail or gap, something about it pisses me off to no end.

I’ve changed my opinions about the whole group hug thing in some ways it validates how hard the trick was and how long it took to perfect it., but a solid high five and a Beagle bump is waaay better.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1940
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #195 on: February 13, 2020, 08:59:21 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I took a heavy pay cut after a quit a research analyst job after week. I had my own office and full benefits. But the work was so mind numbing, pretty much just doing Pivot Tables in Excel for 8 hours a day. I quit and went back to a part-time job for a couple months until I found a full-time gig I liked better. It was totally worth it!

I'm in a similar role currently and while it can be mind numbing I do appreciate the work life balance it provides. Come in early and leave early for a session at the park, catch up on work at night if needed. I've tried running my own business in the past and that shit was draining on all levels. Great experience, wish I knew what I was getting myself into before I decided to leave my cushy corporate job with nice commissions.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Nigel Houston

« Reply #196 on: February 13, 2020, 09:05:59 AM »
In street contests, I always thought it was weird that it's considered okay to pick up your board and walk across the platform and drop in somewhere else. In the 1980s and 1990s it was more about staying on your board and keeping your flow, getting speed naturally instead of getting to reposition entirely.

It's somewhat okay to drop in right where you got up on the quarter pipe, like Dennis B in his Tampa winning run

But when people pick up their board and walk some distance across the course to reset, it feels a bit like golf.

Just my opinion though  :D

HyenaChaser

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 226
« Reply #197 on: February 13, 2020, 09:06:07 AM »
I have terrible hands and they ruin the aesthetic of all my tricks
You know I thought these forums were a for skating not discussing fetishes

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 962
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #198 on: February 13, 2020, 09:07:13 AM »
I'm locked out of my PayPal.

I choose email They send code I put in code then they ask for a text. Its not my number anymore.

To change it I gotta log in to ask pay pal for help I gotta log in. When I called the robot told me to log in

There goes my 3 bucks haha
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

dooley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 39
« Reply #199 on: February 13, 2020, 09:22:00 AM »
I'm gonna be 36, and I love the act of skateboarding more than ever, but I'm so fucking bored of the media. It's ridiculous, because the kids have never been gnarlier, or more tech, but I just don't give a shit. Maybe it's that this current generation seems to consist entirely of coddled children being treated by Olympic doctors to maintain the output necessary to meet the conditions of their corporate sponsorships, but mostly I think its that I just lost the capacity to give a shit.

I'm a little sad about it right now, but I'm hopeful it'll actually feel good to disengage, just focus on the doing if the thing.
I hear you completely.

chipped tail

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -42
« Reply #200 on: February 13, 2020, 09:36:15 AM »
on SLAP, I type in and then delete more posts than I actually post.

Fre$HPrince

« Reply #201 on: February 13, 2020, 09:40:06 AM »
the slap message board is a pale comparison to it's former self

For real. What happened to all the good posters?

MusclesMarinara

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 103
« Reply #202 on: February 13, 2020, 10:12:47 AM »

Mine stems from them being way too narrow on my fucking feet. I don't even have big or wide feet, they're just uncomfortable, expensive shoes.

Edit- plus it's funny the random ocks in my school were the posers wearing Etnies, DC, Osiris, DVS and didn't skate for dick.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2020, 10:17:09 AM by CrimsonGhost »
Alex Olson never had the makings of a varsity athlete.

Lou Strux

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2216
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #203 on: February 13, 2020, 10:15:34 AM »
on SLAP, I type in and then delete more posts than I actually post.

Just imagine: you’d already be a PAL by now.
Chin up, carry on, etc.

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

elbarto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 33
« Reply #204 on: February 13, 2020, 10:22:00 AM »
I don’t like taking a shit unless I’m about to take a shower. And I refuse to learn impossibles, they always do that weird mike mo  late flip impossible and I’ve landed about a hundred of those by accident but never a real impossible.
“I’ll whoop your ass with my arm out of socket”

NoComply180

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -458
  • Objectivity police
« Reply #205 on: February 13, 2020, 10:32:34 AM »
I used to be fairly technically gifted, at least with flat ground and ledges by the standards of the time for average Joe skaters, but I never have had good style. It sucks.

I’ve never ollied anything bigger than a 6 stair and I’ve never done a handrail in 21 years of skating.

Him ah fall off building an bumboclot him legs

TheBoognish

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 129
« Reply #206 on: February 13, 2020, 11:02:23 AM »

I’ve never ollied anything bigger than a 6 stair and I’ve never done a handrail in 21 years of skating.

Damn exactly the same for me. 21 years and never even tried a handrail.

Stairs and rails scare the shit out of me.

jerrygurneyscream

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 130
« Reply #207 on: February 13, 2020, 11:26:45 AM »
rock to fakies are the hardest trick

Sick Duck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 94
« Reply #208 on: February 13, 2020, 11:34:40 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Damn exactly the same for me. 21 years and never even tried a handrail.

Stairs and rails scare the shit out of me.
i boardslid a few handrails when i was 17/18 and haven’t touched one since

Justis

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 243
  • illinoying
« Reply #209 on: February 13, 2020, 12:18:47 PM »
I need to learn low impact tricks because i wake up in immense pain everyday and im only 23