Poll

Are you watching GiftedHater?

Yes
No
Yes & Patreon subscribed
Fuck no
Fred Gall

Author Topic: Thoughts on Gifted Hater?  (Read 414791 times)

fineslime

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 145
  • I cut my grip with Occam's razor
Re: Thoughts on Gifted Hater?
« Reply #2670 on: May 12, 2023, 10:03:52 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Damn, what did they say about Jenkem?
[close]

I don't subscribe to GH patreon so I don't know what he said about Jenkem but I have a guess. My thought is that he would talk about Jenkem being content poachers.

[close]
Pretty much this and something about basically wasting Ted & GH's time
[close]
They also mentioned how Jenkem posted an article online that Ted wrote when they said it would only be used for their book which Ted preferred. If I remember correctly, it actually resulted in Ted losing his job at the time as well. They also touched on the fact that Jenkem used LurkerLou photos for a piece in the book and most of the photos had already been printed in Thrasher

My first thought when I heard this story is that Ted should have consulted in a lawyer. I get the vibe that a contract wasn't in place between Ted and Jenkem regarding that essay, but if there was and it was violated, resulting in Ted losing his job, that is a massive lawsuit.

left knee cap

• Rep: 118
  • $$$$
« Reply #2671 on: May 12, 2023, 10:13:42 AM »
jenkem vid

slimvanilla

« Reply #2672 on: May 12, 2023, 10:58:52 AM »
AZ vlog

WhoCareZ

« Reply #2673 on: May 12, 2023, 11:52:53 AM »
After learning Jenkem doesn't pay, or has not paid in the past, for content my view point of them and their practices are extremely skewed.

Playing Devil’s advocate, if Ted Barrow is held in high regard for his status as a key opinion leader and skills as a writer, shouldn’t he be smart enough to know that Jenkem isn’t gonna be financially hooking anyone up?

fineslime

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2674 on: May 12, 2023, 12:53:01 PM »
Expand Quote
After learning Jenkem doesn't pay, or has not paid in the past, for content my view point of them and their practices are extremely skewed.
[close]

Playing Devil’s advocate, if Ted Barrow is held in high regard for his status as a key opinion leader and skills as a writer, shouldn’t he be smart enough to know that Jenkem isn’t gonna be financially hooking anyone up?

I definitely see where you're coming from, and at the end of the day it's on Ted to demand compensation and then act accordingly based on the response. I guess being published looks good on a resume, but at what cost?

Oh yeah, his job. He lost so much money in order to get, "exposure."
« Last Edit: May 12, 2023, 06:01:40 PM by fineslime »

welcometohelp

• Rep: 1
« Reply #2675 on: May 12, 2023, 03:06:11 PM »
i get both of their frustrations but this is the lamest way to air your grievances. they sound like adult babies whining to a webcam.

WhoCareZ

« Reply #2676 on: May 12, 2023, 03:54:31 PM »
Paywalled bashing of people and brands in skateboarding by a spoiled whiny 26-year old is what viewers in the skate media market want according to Patreon

KGB

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -461
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #2677 on: May 12, 2023, 05:50:38 PM »
90 pages for a slap regurgitator

"Armed with seven rounds of space doo-doo pistols"

apport

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 295
« Reply #2678 on: May 12, 2023, 07:25:25 PM »
i get both of their frustrations but this is the lamest way to air your grievances. they sound like adult babies whining to a webcam.
i dunno what you expect, the guy’s channel is called gifted hater, whining into a webcam is literally the whole concept

glad somebody shared that jenkem video, i was curious to see it but not about to pay for dude’s patreon. my jenkem story isn’t that great, but they hit me up to do some graphics and i sent them some ideas to try to brainstorm and get the ball rolling and they completely ghosted me. not really that big of a deal but just kinda wack and impolite, so i thought ted going off on them was pretty funny.

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1310
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2679 on: May 12, 2023, 07:33:29 PM »
GH mentions Larry Lanza (dude who does the jenkem shop talks) subs to his patreon rep hopefully they catch the drift and improve. I like most of their stuff and hope they can keep going

lurkluke

• Rep: 185
« Reply #2680 on: May 12, 2023, 07:35:47 PM »
Paywalled bashing of people and brands in skateboarding by a spoiled whiny 26-year old is what viewers in the skate media market want according to Patreon

I think it's more that skate media is pretty uncritical, so having someone with (usually) reasonable critique, who is part of the industry, is pretty refreshing.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 858
« Reply #2681 on: May 12, 2023, 09:35:59 PM »
Think they made a few decent points about jenkem but "I put in this work and they kinda made me look like an asshole" is a weird thing for GH to complain about given that's basically all he does to others.
They didn't use my whole interview is wierd too. Thats how every magazine has always worked since forever. Keep what they like/need and edit out what they don't, it's pretty basic.

WhoCareZ

« Reply #2682 on: May 12, 2023, 09:52:07 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I think it's more that skate media is pretty uncritical, so having someone with (usually) reasonable critique, who is part of the industry, is pretty refreshing.

Your point would be valid if GH could take criticism the way he dishes it out. His fragile yet inflated ego from the fast fame he stumbled upon is too transparent to justify support let alone financial backing. Obviously it’s not that deep for most of his fans who support him and just want some laughs so it’s whatever.

Congrats fuck you as they say

ChuckRamone

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 534
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2683 on: May 12, 2023, 11:41:37 PM »
Why does his voice crack so much? It's like he's stuck in puberty.

lurkluke

• Rep: 185
« Reply #2684 on: May 13, 2023, 01:08:42 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Your point would be valid if GH could take criticism the way he dishes it out. His fragile yet inflated ego from the fast fame he stumbled upon is too transparent to justify support let alone financial backing. Obviously it’s not that deep for most of his fans who support him and just want some laughs so it’s whatever.

Congrats fuck you as they say

No I think it's a valid point still. Him being hypocritical doesn't change what I said. Not sure why your hostile at me over it.

vinithebr

• Rep: -20
« Reply #2685 on: May 13, 2023, 11:48:25 AM »
I don't get vlogs, skipped to the skating part.
It sucks that Ted lost his job cause of Jenkem, I was thinking whatever while the topic was payment, but the out of context stuff is horrible specially for a brand that calls itself a magazine

90 pages for a slap regurgitator
You are adding to the count, just so you know

switchfakie

« Reply #2686 on: May 13, 2023, 02:05:51 PM »
im so lost at this whole ted barrow situation. from what ive read so far, im guessing there was a video made on the patreon shit talking jenkem & ted barrow somehow got fucked over by them or something?

please feed me the haters opinion so i dont have to think

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1342
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #2687 on: May 13, 2023, 03:12:12 PM »
im so lost at this whole ted barrow situation. from what ive read so far, im guessing there was a video made on the patreon shit talking jenkem & ted barrow somehow got fucked over by them or something?

Damn so Ted getting into hot water at work from his exchange with an IG account who's name escapes me was pretty much all on Jenkem. The way he explains it, it sounds like a pretty botched editorial decision.

Here's the details:
Ted writes an essay called Skateboarding is Not Art for the Jenkem book. He clarifies that he knows this is a hot take and will probably get him a lot of heat if published online and so they agree not to publish it anywhere but the book. The book gets published and no one reads the piece. Jenkem later hits him up to do a hot take article. He comes up with Tom Penny is the father of the swagged out skatepark denizen and they don't love it. He hears nothing back about if they are gonna publish it or not but, one day, out of nowhere, his mentions go crazy. Turns out instead of publishing the Tom Penny article, they reprint Skateboarding is Not Art as his hot take. Skatemunch or whatever says that Ted was very many mean times to them over the DMs to Ted's employer. Ted gets called to the principal's office and gets fired.
I'm still drawing a blank on the IG account that Ted got into it with after the article was published but my brain is coming up with stokemuch?
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

Tom Pearl

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 203
« Reply #2688 on: May 13, 2023, 03:15:27 PM »
berate the barrow

Kook Me Amadeus

« Reply #2689 on: May 13, 2023, 03:30:55 PM »
Damn so Ted getting into hot water at work from his exchange with an IG account who's name escapes me was pretty much all on Jenkem. The way he explains it, it sounds like a pretty botched editorial decision.

Here's the details:
Ted writes an essay called Skateboarding is Not Art for the Jenkem book. He clarifies that he knows this is a hot take and will probably get him a lot of heat if published online and so they agree not to publish it anywhere but the book. The book gets published and no one reads the piece. Jenkem later hits him up to do a hot take article. He comes up with Tom Penny is the father of the swagged out skatepark denizen and they don't love it. He hears nothing back about if they are gonna publish it or not but, one day, out of nowhere, his mentions go crazy. Turns out instead of publishing the Tom Penny article, they reprint Skateboarding is Not Art as his hot take. Skatemunch or whatever says that Ted was very many mean times to them over the DMs to Ted's employer. Ted gets called to the principal's office and gets fired.

Then Jenkem joked about the “Tom Penny sucks” piece among their rejected articles in Volume 3 of their book series.  Definitely seems like a shitty remorseless thing to include.

fineslime

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2690 on: May 13, 2023, 04:54:57 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Expand Quote

Here's the details:
[close]
I'm still drawing a blank on the IG account that Ted got into it with after the article was published but my brain is coming up with stokemuch?

skatemunch? is that skate moss' obese sister?

she sounds hot.

biaherl

• Rep: 270
    • Why So Sad avatar image
« Reply #2691 on: May 13, 2023, 07:27:41 PM »
jenkem vid

Thanks for posting this, because of it I decided to join Joa's patreon for $4.99. Four hours in and I've watched 1 and 1/3 videos.

I've always thought Jenkem was shitty that's why I liked them, but I didn't know how shitty they really were. I still like Jenkem, everything @Loose Trucks does is great but now I'll have a better understanding about their editor who doesn't skate anymore trying to draw clicks

F U C K   Y O U   Ian
I'm 48 and I still skate 2 to 6 times a week with all the excusses

WhoCareZ

« Reply #2692 on: May 13, 2023, 08:58:09 PM »

Old heads boasting about how old they are and that they financially support an objectively bad person is depressing

Kook Me Amadeus

« Reply #2693 on: May 13, 2023, 09:30:31 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Old heads boasting about how old they are and that they financially support an objectively bad person is depressing

Have to say I agree! 

Thanks for linking the GH video, wouldn’t pay for it myself especially since I’m still on the fence about this fella… but naturally cant help but keep tabs on Slap’s favorite sponsored am.  Was pretty fun to hear him hate on the “liberal media”, whatever that means.  But advocating for writers and creatives’ rights is a pretty decent cause so I mostly agree with all that was said here.

fineslime

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2694 on: May 13, 2023, 09:34:36 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Who are you to deem anyone else a "bad person?" What makes him, "bad," to you?

WhoCareZ

« Reply #2695 on: May 13, 2023, 09:42:39 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Financially thriving off of the misfortune and widely public humiliation of his targets is a start…

[close]

[close]

Kook Me Amadeus

« Reply #2696 on: May 13, 2023, 09:45:17 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Financially thriving off of the misfortune and widely public humiliation of his targets is a start…

[close]

[close]

[close]

Well said dude

Hevonen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 18
« Reply #2697 on: May 13, 2023, 09:51:59 PM »
I still don't get how you can lose your job for some pointless semantics essay being posted on jenkem

Kook Me Amadeus

« Reply #2698 on: May 13, 2023, 09:56:44 PM »
I still don't get how you can lose your job for some pointless semantics essay being posted on jenkem

The random dude ted got into it with on instagram about the article contacted his employers and claimed ted was saying things that werent actually said (according to ted) - then ted couldnt explain away why he was talking to the dude… definitely some circular logic for saying jenkem got him fired… when he simply shouldnt have taken the troll bait… or more competently plead his case to his bosses ;D

WhoCareZ

« Reply #2699 on: May 13, 2023, 09:57:16 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

Well said dude

Lol. 3 beers in didn’t proofread. I guess financially thriving off of the misfortune and public humiliation of his targets who benefit only by getting harassed with hateful comments is where I would start with considering what makes a person bad…