Author Topic: Compression socks  (Read 463 times)

cucktard

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 256
Compression socks
« on: October 04, 2022, 07:56:42 PM »
So I’m looking at Okd Bones Therapy compression socks, as they are on sale.

https://oldbonestherapy.com/products/obt-compression-socks-3-pack

They have tons of good reviews, but anyone here use compression socks and can vouch for their benefits?

Or is it just a placebo?
« Last Edit: October 04, 2022, 09:19:51 PM by cucktard »
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

GardenSkater77

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1067
Re: Compression socks
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2022, 08:11:51 PM »
Are you having circulatory issues?

I myself broke my front leg twice and now I have bulging veins in my leg and sometimes my foot goes numb while I am skating.

I wear calf high socks and they definitely help so adding a compression element should help even more if you are looking to reduce swelling and help with blood flow.

I say go for it.

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1336
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2022, 08:30:09 PM »
I have to use compression socks even though I often don't. If you are using the medical grade compression you'll find it's really tight. That is usually 20-30mmHG but I don't know what metric is used. I just know that's what was prescribed to me. I was told anything less tight than that has no therapeutic value and are just tight socks.

My biggest complaint is that while they aren't as hot as pants, they are still a lot hotter than bare legs and some days they are too much. If I lived in a typically chilly climate I don't think I would have any problems other than the hottest days of summer. Also after a while I do feel like they are strangling my legs and I gotta take them off to get some relief. It's been said that they are meant to be worn any time you aren't laying down but it gets pretty rough after hour 4 if I'm just sitting around. I do think they would be great if I was on my feet all day.
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2022, 09:12:33 PM »
Are you having circulatory issues?

I myself broke my front leg twice and now I have bulging veins in my leg and sometimes my foot goes numb while I am skating.

I wear calf high socks and they definitely help so adding a compression element should help even more if you are looking to reduce swelling and help with blood flow.

I say go for it.

Thanks for the reply. No circulatory issues, just looking to help to skate longer

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1947
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2022, 10:28:32 PM »
Worth a try, compression after sports has proven aid recovery., but I'm not paying $60 for 3 pairs of socks. The stuff on their site doesn't look like it was designed specifically for skateboarding / BMX, rather generic sports gear with some "extreme" branding.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2022, 12:21:37 AM »
I used compression socks after breaking my fibula & tibia to counter the swelling in my leg so that I could actually get through a normal day. They worked fine for that. Getting home in the evening and taking the socks off was so good though. What a relief. Had a bit of a bulge around my knee as the socks had compressed my leg so much.

I never used them for skating. I didn’t see the need. I know they’re marketed for sports for some reason but apparently their aid in sports is highly debatable.

FrankRizzo

• Rep: 10
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2022, 03:16:55 AM »
Less sugar, starch and alcohol in the diet and swelling will go way down.

When it comes to injuries I embrace swelling with the understanding that the increased heat and pressure in the effected area is my body breaking down and repairing the damaged tissues. Anything I do to reduce temp and pressure only slows the healing process and risks further injury.

Pain is the teacher when it comes to our body. I never mute pain with drugs or anything else. I'm over 40 and pain is teaching me something new about posture and kinesthetics everyday at this point.

45 min of long hold yoga including hips/hamstrings ahead of a session and I can skate four hours outlasting folks half my age.

Postures that are essential for my body:
Seated Cow Face w/twist + side bend + forward fold
Seated Wide Legged Forward Fold w/twist + side bend
Gate Pose (best groin stretch)
Knee Down Runners Lunge + Half Split + Dragon
Thunderbolt
Pidgin
Wing On The Ground.

If one shoulder sits higher spend time looking towards the opposite shoulder to lower it. I have been pushing myself to skate switch more for the above reason.

whale

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 207
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2022, 03:27:33 AM »
I got a buddy at work who swears by them, I have s pair but just can’t wear them, too tight and hot.
I’m too used to thin maximum ankle lenght socks

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1947
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2022, 06:32:28 AM »
I think compression socks (or any compression clothing) is helpful for any activity involving physical exertion. But I doubt those from this skate company are anything special that you can't find at a dedicated sporting good store for 1/2 the price. I would try a pair but not at $25.

Edit:

Some Reddit research indicated compression clothing for sports doesn't get tight enough.
"Studies show that when working out, the only thing compression does is reduce vertical oscillation (bouncing up and down when running) which means you won't really get that one specific benefit unless you're wearing full-length compression tights.

On the other hand, compression aids in recovery. The increased circulation brings increased blood flow which helps rebuild tissue (I think).

My opinion is, wear them during running if you think they're comfortable. Wear them after for the benefits."

Worth checking out if I wasn't already wearing 2 knee guards under my pants, I'd start feeling like a wrapped up Christmas present.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2022, 06:59:35 AM by rocklobster »
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2022, 02:39:44 PM »
Thanks for the in-depth reply!

Actually I can’t find any cheaper compression socks where I am, these socks run about the same.

And the video and Reddit info was helpful. Sounds like the socks may be more use to me after a day of snowboarding that to use while skating.

I’ll try them out and report back