Author Topic: A few Hours in San Francisco  (Read 1121 times)

Frank and Fred

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 794
A few Hours in San Francisco
« on: January 14, 2024, 01:45:05 PM »
The wife and I are planning a 10 day roadie from Portland to SoCal at the end of Feb. We have friends in Berkeley we will stay with for a day or two. Anyway, I want to plan a day of skateboarding some shit I don't usually get to skate. So I don't really need to hit any skateparks unless I really can't get a plan going.

Fort Miley is up there and so is some hill-bombing. I don't want to hit anything too gnarly as the wife might be with me. I'm thinking more Tommy G than GX1000. So maybe Outer Sunset/ Outer Richmond down to Ocean Beach and then up to Miley? Any rad little spots along the way? Been a life goal to do a little SF hill bomb...

Help me plan a few hours of skateboarding in SF... We could drive or just take BART in... Prob stop at DLX on Market for some goodies also.

tkp

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 523
    • swarm life avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: A few Hours in San Francisco
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2024, 07:01:58 PM »
The wife and I are planning a 10 day roadie from Portland to SoCal at the end of Feb. We have friends in Berkeley we will stay with for a day or two. Anyway, I want to plan a day of skateboarding some shit I don't usually get to skate. So I don't really need to hit any skateparks unless I really can't get a plan going.

Fort Miley is up there and so is some hill-bombing. I don't want to hit anything too gnarly as the wife might be with me. I'm thinking more Tommy G than GX1000. So maybe Outer Sunset/ Outer Richmond down to Ocean Beach and then up to Miley? Any rad little spots along the way? Been a life goal to do a little SF hill bomb...

Help me plan a few hours of skateboarding in SF... We could drive or just take BART in... Prob stop at DLX on Market for some goodies also.

If you want a more scenic public transit route into the city, I'd recommend catching the ferry from Jack London Square in Oakland. It goes under the Bay Bridge and will take you straight to the Embarcadero. From there you can catch the F-Market trolley to DLX.

The trolley passes right by the Civic Center skate plaza, which is worth checking out.

Two public transit options near DLX that go to Ocean Beach are 7 Haight/Noriega bus or the N-Judah train. Once you get west of Sunset BLVD, the hills mellow out a lot. Irving and Noriega are pretty wide and smooth.

If you're at Ocean Beach on a Friday, Saturday, or Sunday, the Upper Great Highway between Sloat and Lincoln is closed to cars. Some waxed curbs here and there and the occasional little diy quarter that comes and goes.

There isn't a direct bus to Miley (Battery Chester), but the 18 gets you close.

It's also nice to hike up along Point Lobos Avenue on the way to Miley and imagine Kenny Reed doing this kickflip above the Sutro Baths:

« Last Edit: January 14, 2024, 07:09:51 PM by tkp »

botefdunn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 729
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2024, 08:07:30 PM »
How's 3rd and army these days?  Haven't been there in many years.

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 581
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2024, 02:03:49 AM »
How's 3rd and army these days?  Haven't been there in many years.

Haven't been in a few months but last I went it was mellow. No homeless encampments and some local rippers holding it down. Since it's near the water it was mad windy but that's my only complaint.

For OP, since you mentioned it, Fort Miley area is sick if you wanna check it out and it's right next to Sutro Baths which is a cool spot to visit for photos. Once you leave, you can either bomb the hill down to ocean beach or go up Clement till you hit Lincoln golf course and bomb a mellow hill down for about half a mile. All stop signs, not a lot of traffic. If you do the latter, once you get past outer and inner Richmond areas, you can always check out the Waller ledges near Haight st. I guess it's technically a skatepark now but it's super fun and there's a ton of shit to skate. Waller is like 6 blocks away from the music concourse spot which has some ledges and a stage you can huck off of. For reference, Chandler Burton's first line in his Castle Freak part was filmed there and whatever season of One in a Million with Forrest Edwards featured that spot too.

That should be good for a few hours of skating!

*Edit - Worth mentioning that this is kinda out of the way and probably best if you have a car. If not, you can take the 38 geary bus all the way to the Richmond district if you're taking Bart to the Powell stop or whatever

tkp

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2024, 06:14:51 PM »
third and army has a few encampments at the moment. went by there today. the ones at the eastern edge are a bit rough:

as i was skating up to read the sign, i got about 30 feet away and those two dogs jumped out from under the table and charged straight towards me. they were growling and barking. luckily they are tied to a leash and it held together. the dogs settled down after a while, but whew, ain't no one skating that part of the plaza at the moment unless they are trying to get bit.

Pasta Monster

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2024, 05:53:46 AM »
Eat at Yamo if it’s still open…about ten minutes from DLX. If you like Indian food, there’s a good restaurant in Berkeley called Udipi Palace.

DLX might be the place to start. They’ll tell you everything you want or need to know. Plus, you can bomb Market St. to catch a bus towards Ocean Beach.

JM

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 222
  • sup dog
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2024, 05:23:41 PM »
When you say hit up Deluxe, do you mean this address? I’ll be in SF from Wednesday to Sunday.

1831 Market St
San Francisco, CA 94103

Gonna do that new plaza. See EMB (are there still bricks at least?)

See what there is to see on the Piers.

Check out Chinatown bridge.

Hit up Army and dodge rabies.
Another brand new account coming in on some absolute fuck shit

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2024, 06:05:51 PM »
Yeah the shop. Be there a few times.

The new plaza is pretty close, right?

Thanks everyone for the ideas so far. As for food. Gotta be Mexican.

Currently, on the wagon or I'd be seeking out some beer also.

pugmaster

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1610
  • Overweight and Underprepared
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2024, 08:05:31 PM »
Pier 7 is really close to EMB. Definitely check it out if you are already at EMB.
"...We got the nuclear worm over here..."

Never forget:
Rusty_Berrings, 360 frip, Yapple Dapple, Bubblegum Tate

JM

• SLAP Pal
  • sup dog
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2024, 09:25:30 PM »
Do you see this granite curb?!

I cannot wait till the area dries.

JM

• SLAP Pal
  • sup dog
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2024, 09:28:30 PM »
Pier 7 is liberated.

JM

• SLAP Pal
  • sup dog
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2024, 06:06:19 PM »
FTC has a dope collection

JM

• SLAP Pal
  • sup dog
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2024, 08:41:54 PM »
DLX was super cool. Chatted with the dudes in there for like 30 minutes. Bought a tshirt.
They brought out a Praman cathedral so I could ogle at it.

I didn’t get a photo of the inside because it was a pretty run-of-the-mill clean skateshop, but it was cool seeing all of the DLX hats and softgoods laid out.

I think I understand the whole anemic look to shops, where they keep most stuff in the back, so the storefront can be clean and crisp.

Supreme was definitely like that, but way more so.

Maybe it’s a CA storefront thing?

Anyways, dope shop.

JM

• SLAP Pal
  • sup dog
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2024, 09:39:10 PM »
I took pics of spots we just happened to pass by while walking around that had paint/grind marks.

If that paint on the rail are from legit tries, y’all are crazy :o

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2024, 02:12:56 PM »
Friends took me to Ft Miley. I got a my tail slide, blunt slide and ollied has high as I could. Bombed the hill to Ocean Beach and slammed right next to my friends car. But it was a good slam. Went to the Mission for a burrito. DLX for some Big Beatodwn 60mmm wheels and a 'Bomb Hills Not Countries" T. Then a bit of touristy shit with wife and friends (GG Bridge, Sutro Baths). Pretty fucking great day and stoked my non-skateboard friends were happy to come to Miley with me, as I was giggling like a little child bushwhacking to find the place.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2024, 02:48:36 PM by Frank and Fred »

botefdunn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 729
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2024, 05:55:15 PM »
Yay! That sounds pretty ideal.

tkp

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2024, 11:59:47 AM »
@Frank and Fred that's rad, sounds like you had a good time.

I biked up to Miley recently and hit the dirt trails coming down from the top. Not sure what path you took to find the spot, but there's some neat old forts around that place.

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2024, 02:06:48 PM »
Yeah. Love poking around sites like that, so did some exploring.

pile

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 183
  • sweet, man.
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2024, 08:30:27 PM »
I just got home from a week stay in San Francisco and it was a blast.

We started our days at the new UN Plaza which is so much fun, but at the same time fairly sketchy due to the area that it's in. Don't leave any of your belongings unattended.

We checked out Pier 7, EMB, the orange curved bench just down from Pier 7, 3rd & Army, Union Square, China Banks and a few spots around Japantown. It was difficult to leave the UN Plaza to check out other spots, it's so much fun and the locals were really accommodating.

One of my friends works at the Canadian DLX distributor and hooked us up with a tour of the warehouse and our guide was none other than Frank Gerwer, that was a really awesome experience.

For anyone else going there for the first time, if you don't want to spend a fortune on food, hit up a trader joe's or Costco (if you have a membership) and stock up on food you can make at your spot and bring around with you on sessions. Food is fucked up expensive in SF.

JM

• SLAP Pal
  • sup dog
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2024, 06:51:58 PM »