Poll

Are you watching GiftedHater?

Yes
No
Yes & Patreon subscribed
Fuck no
Fred Gall

Author Topic: Thoughts on Gifted Hater?  (Read 407526 times)

Punished Skateboards

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 61
Re: Gifted Hater gets more views than Thrasher, Nine Club, Jenkem, Chadd Sinclair
« Reply #1020 on: November 02, 2022, 08:37:11 AM »
So OP are you just GH's biggest fan and wanted to gloat or something?

Was the other GH thread not enough?

I'm a bit confused about your intentions here.

Or were you just trying to stir the pot?

While I’m probably not his biggest fan, yes to all the other questions

Maurice46

• Rep: 10
Re: Gifted Hater gets more views than Thrasher, Nine Club, Jenkem, Chadd Sinclair
« Reply #1021 on: November 02, 2022, 08:37:40 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
that is a pretty subjective and naive opinion to take.....things like 9 club/trasher still have more influence since they are backed by real sponsors/advertising money from brands that actually make money from skate goods. thus they will continue to be around even if they arent as good as some guy talking shit
[close]

Subjective? So you just ignore the views then

Backed by real sponsors so they have influence? Wtf is this take. SLS has sponsors and even airs on ABC/ESPN. So SLS must have a huge influence on the scene. If that were true every skatepark would have kids decked out in Cariuma. But that’s not true because GH bashes Cariuma and he’s the actual influencer here.
[close]
Your obsequious fawning over this dude and how many views he gets makes me think you are either an energy drink marketing salesman or a kook, or both.  To even hint that he has more influence over Thrasher (or Slap even) shows you've been skating seriously for 2 years tops.
[close]

He does and it’s not even close

Thrasher out here running interviews with Matt Montgomery because Santa Cruz wants to make Trae the Tank a thing. That ain’t happening even with Thrasher’s amazing influence you’re so impressed with.
[close]
So you as a skater would rather be featured on this dudes youtube channel with all those ever important likes and views than get the cover of Thrasher.  Fuck SOTY I want that Gifted Hater shout out!
[close]

I know that when the now former Illegal Civ riders wanted to say their piece on the Mikey situation, they didn’t go to Thrasher. They didn’t do a stop and chat with the Nine Club. Jenkem had to go to them, not the other way around. They went directly to GH’s dms because they know that’s who matters when it comes to what’s considered cool.
[close]
Tyshaun and Louie are blowing then by clearly gunning for SOTY, they need to be begging your boy for those likes and views instead.  But they aren't as cool as (checks notes) Illegal Civ ex riders anyway so I mean I guess you are right.
[close]

Tyshawn and LL couldn’t care less about SOTY aside from the fact that their corpo mega sponsors Adidas and Cons (owned by Nike) have them contractually obligated to put out x amount of footage per year and are invested in them winning because they think it will translate to more shoe sales.
[close]

They likely both stand to earn multiple six-figure bonuses for winning SOTY so I believe that they do indeed care.
[close]
Tyshawn outright said he cared just a few days ago.
[close]
Most top pros care. Whatever you might think of Thrasher doesn't matter, SOTY is a big deal and honestly that magazine has nailed it (with a few notable exceptions) most of the time.
[close]

Ok they care about the money (“multiple six figure bonuses”?) but the title is meaningless now. If the award was called biggest corporate shill and was presented by panasonic they would still go for it if they stood to earn that much money. Since that’s what motivates them.
[close]

I guess when Tyshawn broke down crying at the SOTY presentation ceremony a few years back it wasn't because he valued the recognition but purely from the financial implications. Makes sense.
[close]

That’s correct

Got it. Damn, pro skaters are a soulless and money grubbing lot. I had no clue. Thanks for the insight!

Cool Ceith

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 614
  • Did someone say sassy?
« Reply #1022 on: November 02, 2022, 08:39:53 AM »
I can't believe this became a 5-page thread within 12 hours.

Personally, I enjoy GH videos. He has great timing and he's pretty insightful (he uncovers some nuggets that would've gone right over my head honestly). He's pissing people off, too, and for the right reasons.

Punished Skateboards

« Reply #1023 on: November 02, 2022, 08:40:35 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Joa seems like a good dude and I think it's cool that he can make a living off of talking about skating. That being said, he caters to a very specific subset of extremely online skaters. In this particular echo chamber, GH videos can hold more sway than [insert more traditional skate media outlet here.] That's just how fandom of any kind works these days. There are content creators in every niche interest group that do exactly what Joa does. Upload a YT vid every 7-10 days, live stream on Twitch, offer paid content on Patreon. These people amass a considerable amount of hardcore fans who take everything the content creator says as gospel, but outside of their bubble, no one cares. That's neither special nor sustainable, and to Joa's credit, he's got no illusions that this will last. Skating is not that different from other subcultures or interest groups as we make it out to be. We put people on a pedestal for a time and then move on. It will inevitably happen to GH too, and Joa knows it. He's capitalizing on the attention he's getting at the moment, as he should. Don't count on him doing the same stuff in 5 or even 2 years though.
[close]

But what people are failing to grasp is that in this instance the fandom (GH) is more popular/has more influence than the source itself. Avengers fandom or whatever will never be as popular as the movies. The Office Ladies podcast will never be as popular as the show. NFL and your favorite football commentary show. Yet when GH reviews a skate vid or an SLS event, his vid gets more views and has more influence than the actual thing.
[close]
Louie Lopez FA part review: 74k views
Louie Lopez FA part: 120k views on YouTube + 19.1k likes (not views, safe to assume those are higher) on the FA Instagram

Hockey X review: 98k views
Hockey X: 117k views on YouTube + 165k views on Vimeo

Primitive Define review: 104k
Primitive Define: 1.3 million views

Mind Goblin review: 70k views
Mind Goblin: 448k views

Finally a solid counterpoint, but both you and I are guilty of cherry picking.

And honestly those numbers are shockingly close considering how long GH has been around and his sub count compared to the others. No other fandom/source material can compare. Which I think goes to show at the end of the day skaters are a bunch of gossips.

scab

• Rep: 200
« Reply #1024 on: November 02, 2022, 08:45:09 AM »
Expand Quote
Joa seems like a good dude and I think it's cool that he can make a living off of talking about skating. That being said, he caters to a very specific subset of extremely online skaters. In this particular echo chamber, GH videos can hold more sway than [insert more traditional skate media outlet here.] That's just how fandom of any kind works these days. There are content creators in every niche interest group that do exactly what Joa does. Upload a YT vid every 7-10 days, live stream on Twitch, offer paid content on Patreon. These people amass a considerable amount of hardcore fans who take everything the content creator says as gospel, but outside of their bubble, no one cares. That's neither special nor sustainable, and to Joa's credit, he's got no illusions that this will last. Skating is not that different from other subcultures or interest groups as we make it out to be. We put people on a pedestal for a time and then move on. It will inevitably happen to GH too, and Joa knows it. He's capitalizing on the attention he's getting at the moment, as he should. Don't count on him doing the same stuff in 5 or even 2 years though.
[close]

But what people are failing to grasp is that in this instance the fandom (GH) is more popular/has more influence than the source itself. Avengers fandom or whatever will never be as popular as the movies. The Office Ladies podcast will never be as popular as the show. NFL and your favorite football commentary show. Yet when GH reviews a skate vid or an SLS event, his vid gets more views and has more influence than the actual thing.

Depends on what you think the actual thing is. If you're strictly talking about YT views of particular videos, sure. That's not what actual companies (not YouTubers like the 9 Club) care about though. Skate videos are a marketing tool for hard goods. A video is successful if it leads to sales, not views. I guarantee you that Pontus doesn't care one bit if the GH review of SLYGACI gets more views than the original post as long as people buy Polar boards and big boys (no idea if that's the case, it's just an example.)
Companies and GH aren't competing against each other, quite the opposite. There's no need to fabricate an adversarial narrative here. Just enjoy the content if you like his videos, or don't watch them if you don't. It's just skate gossip and should rank in the dungeon tier of anyone's priorities.

Punished Skateboards

« Reply #1025 on: November 02, 2022, 08:45:16 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
Louie Lopez FA part: 120k views on YouTube + 19.1k likes (not views, safe to assume those are higher) on the FA Instagram

[close]

And honestly those numbers are shockingly close considering how long GH has been around and his sub count compared to the others.
[close]
speak for yourself, i just went through and cataloged four most recent video reviews i saw on his channel

You’re conveniently leaving out both his IC vids which have destroyed the original IC vlog in views.

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1089
« Reply #1026 on: November 02, 2022, 08:45:27 AM »

It helps to have an OP who interprets every single comment as some sort of criticism which warrants a response.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

mattchew

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 361
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1027 on: November 02, 2022, 08:46:56 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

And honestly those numbers are shockingly close considering how long GH has been around and his sub count compared to the others. No other fandom/source material can compare. Which I think goes to show at the end of the day skaters are a bunch of gossips.

People watch gifted hater videos and skaters are gossips…you sir, are doing the lords work with this thread. Thank you so much for the enlightenment. Make a fucking point already.
P R E P A R E  T O  T I M E C O D E

Punished Skateboards

« Reply #1028 on: November 02, 2022, 08:49:26 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

People watch gifted hater videos and skaters are gossips…you sir, are doing the lords work with this thread. Thank you so much for the enlightenment. Make a fucking point already.

I already made three points

Expand Quote
What a thing to get worked up over.
[close]

I just hate liars and hypocrites. I can’t explain why I just do.

You’re not necessarily the you here fyi this is more in general

1. Stop claiming you don’t watch GH. You do.
2. Stop claiming you don’t enjoy watching GH’s videos. You do.
3. Stop claiming GH has no influence on the skate scene. He does.

Punished Skateboards

« Reply #1029 on: November 02, 2022, 08:51:43 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

It helps to have an OP who interprets every single comment as some sort of criticism which warrants a response.

And you’re averaging one comment per page so we thank you for your contributions

D10S

• Rep: -53
  • la patineta no se mancha
« Reply #1030 on: November 02, 2022, 08:52:35 AM »
Joa is my YTOTY

mattchew

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1031 on: November 02, 2022, 08:52:38 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

1) I have never seen a video so 2) I can’t enjoy and 3) myself and anyone else with eyeballs can read numbers to see he “influences” skating. Now shut the fuck up because all of these things were true before you made this shitpile.

Punished Skateboards

« Reply #1032 on: November 02, 2022, 08:55:29 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

1) I have never seen a video so 2) I can’t enjoy and 3) myself and anyone else with eyeballs can read numbers to see he “influences” skating. Now shut the fuck up because all of these things were true before you made this shitpile.

I know you don’t care but I don’t believe you

Punished Skateboards

« Reply #1033 on: November 02, 2022, 08:56:55 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

And honestly those numbers are shockingly close considering how long GH has been around and his sub count compared to the others.
[close]
speak for yourself, i just went through and cataloged four most recent video reviews i saw on his channel
[close]

You’re conveniently leaving out both his IC vids which have destroyed the original IC vlog in views.
[close]
vlogs are not skate videos, skate videos are not vlogs. this seems like a fairly lukewarm observation to everyone else in this thread besides you

Fandom > source material. The vlog is the source material. And I’m saying that’s weird and possibly unique to skateboarding.

Uncle Flea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 962
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #1034 on: November 02, 2022, 08:57:28 AM »
Wonder if he'll help me make more peace Ponks.

Nuclear Disarmament is top priority
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

mattchew

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1035 on: November 02, 2022, 08:58:00 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

I know you don’t care but I don’t believe you

Sounds like a “you” problem doggie.
Again, that sunshine is just waiting to be absorbed into that pasty dehydrated flesh of yours. Get it while the gettin is good.

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
Re: Thoughts on Gifted Hater?
« Reply #1036 on: November 02, 2022, 08:59:15 AM »
FRIEND EVERYONE
MAKE MORE PONKS

PROTECT FRIENDS AND FAMILY

DISARM NATIONS

ROLL FOREVER.

THATS THE PLAN
(A)pl(E)

Big Skatefase

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 561
« Reply #1037 on: November 02, 2022, 09:00:17 AM »
I can't believe skateboarding survived all those decades before Gifted Hater.

jorge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -100
« Reply #1038 on: November 02, 2022, 09:02:01 AM »
Gifted Hater is the new Poweredge. 
If he's lucky.

R3dBullRox420

« Reply #1039 on: November 02, 2022, 09:02:16 AM »
I would rather watch something interesting like the Grosso's loveletter series or revisit good ol 411 vm,...I couldn't care less about Gifted Hater's opinion on other people's pants or whatever he talks about on his blog.

lulz blog?

Punished Skateboards

« Reply #1040 on: November 02, 2022, 09:02:52 AM »

That’s because Thrasher actually mattered back then. Now it doesn’t (as much) and people are in their feelings about that

mattchew

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1041 on: November 02, 2022, 09:08:50 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

That’s because Thrasher actually mattered back then. Now it doesn’t (as much) and people are in their feelings about that

Dude, Thrasher is a literal 40 year old institution with huge financial resources. It doesn’t matter if you, Jimmy Johnny Chadd, think they’re cool or whatever now, because their presence in skateboarding “matters”. Stop being so wildly obtuse. It’s unbecoming.

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1042 on: November 02, 2022, 09:10:03 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Gifted Hater is the new Poweredge. 
If he's lucky.

I loved Power Edge tho. I got that DWay am interview somewhere in a box with all the rest of that year.

Slap was the best. I remember seeing it and being drawn to it. I got #1 for free at Something Else. I couldn't find it last look  pretty sure I still got it. I hope I still got it.
.if my memory is accurate I bought a Natural board Thunder trucks rando big ass white wheel with minimal graphics. Might have been the Zimbabwe Skateboard Wheel?

I was at something else hundreds of Sundays. I just preferred to use it as a meet up. Go street skating in Danvers. Hit Sozio Bank and shit.

But yeah I seen that mag and was like uhhhhhh!!!

I was never into big brother really.

Slap +never had a subscription tho)

Thrasher
Power edge
Transworld
(Subscribed for years and years)

Thank you Cheryl!!!
(A)pl(E)

Big Skatefase

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 561
« Reply #1043 on: November 02, 2022, 09:12:06 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

damn, someone should tell skaters and companies to stop putting thier videos on thrasher's channel and put them on gifted hater's instead.

jerry really dropped the ball putting ryan lays part on thrasher's channel

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 579
« Reply #1044 on: November 02, 2022, 09:12:50 AM »
Also posting this since there's hasn't been concrete numbers posted:

This is based off the Social Blade numbers at the time of this post

GH
https://socialblade.com/youtube/channel/UC82d7bBOUmsE_b8crhEgSIw

Thrasher
https://socialblade.com/youtube/c/thrasher

The Nine Club (their main channel, their other channels are not included here)
https://socialblade.com/youtube/c/thenineclub

Jenkem
https://socialblade.com/youtube/user/jenkemmag

If you were to take these numbers at complete face value, GH is performing better than Jenkem but is still much behind Thrasher and Nine Club.

OP are you gonna ignore this one or what? 30D view numbers are pretty telling.

one-off

• Rep: 107
« Reply #1045 on: November 02, 2022, 09:15:43 AM »
“DEAD ASS”

Punished Skateboards

« Reply #1046 on: November 02, 2022, 09:16:42 AM »
Expand Quote
Also posting this since there's hasn't been concrete numbers posted:

This is based off the Social Blade numbers at the time of this post

GH
https://socialblade.com/youtube/channel/UC82d7bBOUmsE_b8crhEgSIw

Thrasher
https://socialblade.com/youtube/c/thrasher

The Nine Club (their main channel, their other channels are not included here)
https://socialblade.com/youtube/c/thenineclub

Jenkem
https://socialblade.com/youtube/user/jenkemmag

If you were to take these numbers at complete face value, GH is performing better than Jenkem but is still much behind Thrasher and Nine Club.
[close]

OP are you gonna ignore this one or what? 30D view numbers are pretty telling.

I love the effort actually and it goes to show for how little time GH has been around compared to these other channels what he’s accomplished thus far is quite impressive

Punished Skateboards

« Reply #1047 on: November 02, 2022, 09:18:48 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Dude, Thrasher is a literal 40 year old institution with huge financial resources. It doesn’t matter if you, Jimmy Johnny Chadd, think they’re cool or whatever now, because their presence in skateboarding “matters”. Stop being so wildly obtuse. It’s unbecoming.

Were you also upset when the institution that was Blockbuster crumbled? Or Borders books? Just because something is old and has resources don’t make it good or cool or relevant

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1089
« Reply #1048 on: November 02, 2022, 09:20:03 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

It's weird because it should be obvious that, in a relatively mature media market such as that which encompasses skateboarding, there can be multiple successful and influential players. Framing it as an either/or sort of thing based solely around very recent YouTube view counts is baffling. It's true that GH is important and offering something which consumers want, and it's also true that Thrasher remains *the* major player in skateboard media. When you sub to GH on YouTube, you don't automatically unsub from Thrasher. The two are not mutually exclusive.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

Punished Skateboards

« Reply #1049 on: November 02, 2022, 09:28:13 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

It's weird because it should be obvious that, in a relatively mature media market such as that which encompasses skateboarding, there can be multiple successful and influential players. Framing it as an either/or sort of thing based solely around very recent YouTube view counts is baffling. It's true that GH is important and offering something which consumers want, and it's also true that Thrasher remains *the* major player in skateboard media. When you sub to GH on YouTube, you don't automatically unsub from Thrasher. The two are not mutually exclusive.

Yes!

And yes to your other points too