Poll

Are you watching GiftedHater?

Yes
No
Yes & Patreon subscribed
Fuck no
Fred Gall

Author Topic: Thoughts on Gifted Hater?  (Read 407724 times)

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1088
Re: Thoughts on Gifted Hater?
« Reply #2310 on: April 11, 2023, 05:19:55 PM »
He really put the Hater in Gifted Hater on this episode 😂

I get his criticism of Beatrice. I don’t see the hype behind her but also not everything is meant for me and as an adult I understand that. Can’t be mad at her for getting that check while she can

He’s younger than she is.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

modern life is war

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -619
« Reply #2311 on: April 11, 2023, 05:43:35 PM »
Holy shit, he went in on FA. That one is going to hurt the brand a lot. Good vid
You’re a Florida native, aren’t you?

Lame_Nigga

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -6
  • Just a lame nigga who can't kickflip
« Reply #2312 on: April 11, 2023, 06:02:43 PM »
Expand Quote

I get his criticism of Beatrice. I don’t see the hype behind her but also not everything is meant for me and as an adult I understand that. Can’t be mad at her for getting that check while she can
[close]

Idk how old they are, I’m guessing 22-25? Either way, they’re both adults, and you’re never too young to learn not everything is meant for you

DVstorm_chaser

• Rep: 9
« Reply #2313 on: April 11, 2023, 06:26:22 PM »

Newphone

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -513
« Reply #2314 on: April 11, 2023, 07:40:18 PM »
Does he worry that Elijah Burle is going to fuck him up?  He seems like exactly the wrong guy to make feel insecure.  I’m don’t think he can take a joke very well, and he’s been pretty relentless.

pbj

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 24
« Reply #2315 on: April 12, 2023, 12:55:17 AM »
I haven't watched his latest video yet, and based on what I've been hearing I probably wont.
At least with Skateline, Gary's commentary is more playful, and you don't have a rabid fanbase preying and acting on his every word.

It's definitely gotten to the point where producing and monetizing this type of content for that large of an audience has devolved into jock-like/kook behavior.

Again, I haven't watched his last couple videos and don't really see myself at this point, but just off the discourse alone, shit is getting embarrassing. Is he really platforming for a black woman to not have a board/place in the industry? What kind of shit is that?

Sooner or later, people will have to come to terms that being a "deeply online" skateboarder really isn't that cool and actually kind of just loser behavior.

I don't even have that much of a problem with the guy, but give it a rest dude.
He should make a tier list of all of his bricked deleted videos that have flopped.

thisiswhatulooklikern

• Rep: 11
« Reply #2316 on: April 12, 2023, 01:12:26 AM »
jesus why do you guys cry about fucking everything on this website

FactoryMinimum

• Rep: -4
« Reply #2317 on: April 12, 2023, 06:16:35 AM »

where do you cry?

WorldsbestWeedsm0ker

• Rep: -158
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #2318 on: April 12, 2023, 06:50:10 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
Idk how old they are, I’m guessing 22-25? Either way, they’re both adults, and you’re never too young to learn not everything is meant for you
So what’s ur point buster
waved and warped
RIP fugluk (Tristan)

WorldsbestWeedsm0ker

• Rep: -158
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #2319 on: April 12, 2023, 06:56:22 AM »
I haven't watched his latest video yet, and based on what I've been hearing I probably wont.
At least with Skateline, Gary's commentary is more playful, and you don't have a rabid fanbase preying and acting on his every word.

It's definitely gotten to the point where producing and monetizing this type of content for that large of an audience has devolved into jock-like/kook behavior.

Again, I haven't watched his last couple videos and don't really see myself at this point, but just off the discourse alone, shit is getting embarrassing. Is he really platforming for a black woman to not have a board/place in the industry? What kind of shit is that?

Sooner or later, people will have to come to terms that being a "deeply online" skateboarder really isn't that cool and actually kind of just loser behavior.

He should make a tier list of all of his bricked deleted videos that have flopped.

Yeah embarrassing for you I guess
waved and warped
RIP fugluk (Tristan)

QixHexagon

• Rep: 29
« Reply #2320 on: April 12, 2023, 07:05:03 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

where do you cry?

My mom's bed

left knee cap

• Rep: 118
  • $$$$
« Reply #2321 on: April 12, 2023, 07:06:57 AM »
probably breaking his patreon rules but here's his latest stream where he devotes the first hour just talking about skate twitter and his response to the beatrice hate

modern life is war

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -619
« Reply #2322 on: April 12, 2023, 07:10:05 AM »
Does he worry that Elijah Burle is going to fuck him up?  He seems like exactly the wrong guy to make feel insecure.  I’m don’t think he can take a joke very well, and he’s been pretty relentless.

I don't think Elijah Berle is that guy. Under the tattoos and greaser outfits he's just another socal brat
You’re a Florida native, aren’t you?

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2323 on: April 12, 2023, 08:09:27 AM »
probably breaking his patreon rules but here's his latest stream where he devotes the first hour just talking about skate twitter and his response to the beatrice hate

Nothing in skate history, not even /r/skateboarding or Slap, has been more annoying and fart-sniffing than "#skatetwitter". In a meeting now but I can't wait to see what he has to say.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2023, 08:16:39 AM by manysnakes »

Robert Baratheon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 40
« Reply #2324 on: April 12, 2023, 08:49:24 AM »
It’s delicate because there haven’t been a lot of black female pros but he’s right. Beatrice hasn’t really put out what a pro should. I’m sure other POC women pros have the same feelings about it.

WhoCareZ

« Reply #2325 on: April 12, 2023, 09:14:04 AM »

23:35 bro's ego a little too inflated here

ejazzle

• Rep: 78
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2326 on: April 12, 2023, 10:12:21 AM »

This is where you should have stopped. People commenting on shit they haven't even watched or read is what's wrong with internet culture. Why do people feel like they can comment specifically on something they literally know nothing about? Like hey I haven't watched or read anything about this topic but here's my super harsh opinion that's definitely correct. And then other people just take what is said and run with it instead of thinking "wait a second, why should I take what this guy is saying to heart when they literally didn't even watch the video"

No he's not platforming for her not to have a place in the industry, but you wouldn't know that because you didn't watch the video.

If I was a girl that was absolutely shredding and I saw beatrice's level of skating being turned "pro" it would be punch in the gut for me. It delegitimizes womens skating and is not a good look for them. There are so many girls that absolutely rip out there that surely want better than this for their sport but no way are they able to speak out.

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1304
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2327 on: April 12, 2023, 10:18:46 AM »

Random thunder rider with no other sponsors already has more street footage than Beatrice. FA is known for platforming riders for being cool over producing so no use in trying to deplatform her. She fits their narrative. But do your best to share footage and get people on to skaters like Nika so we can move past Beatrice being the biggest face of POC women skaters cause it's hard to watch.

yourbreakfsat

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 762
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2328 on: April 12, 2023, 10:20:22 AM »

snip

snip

You should really watch the video before deciding to be weird and make this about race and gender.

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2329 on: April 12, 2023, 10:24:34 AM »
I propose a five-year moratorium on any new American pro skateboarders, regardless of sex. Brazilians and Japanese skaters only. After five years, if you can meet the raised standards, you may be allowed to get a board.

pbj

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 24
« Reply #2330 on: April 12, 2023, 11:10:18 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

This is where you should have stopped. People commenting on shit they haven't even watched or read is what's wrong with internet culture. Why do people feel like they can comment specifically on something they literally know nothing about? Like hey I haven't watched or read anything about this topic but here's my super harsh opinion that's definitely correct. And then other people just take what is said and run with it instead of thinking "wait a second, why should I take what this guy is saying to heart when they literally didn't even watch the video"

No he's not platforming for her not to have a place in the industry, but you wouldn't know that because you didn't watch the video.

If I was a girl that was absolutely shredding and I saw beatrice's level of skating being turned "pro" it would be punch in the gut for me. It delegitimizes womens skating and is not a good look for them. There are so many girls that absolutely rip out there that surely want better than this for their sport but no way are they able to speak out.

I don't think I ever directly implied what he was saying outside of that the implication that he was questioning her professional status as a skateboarder, but from the 20+ responses I've seen on other social platforms since yesterday, there are plenty of his followers that are, which was what I was referencing in regards to his rabid fanbase.

I've seen enough Gifted Hater videos to know what they include. It's not like dude penned a fucking op-ed for the NYT. Bro is playing YouTube clips at his desk wearing a fucking headset.

"It delegitimizes women's skating"
Uhhhh, yeah no. Implying watching her skate delegitimizes women's skateboarding entirely is an absolutely insane take.
When will people realize there is no objective responsibilities to being a pro skateboarder.
It's an entirely made up thing. Productivity, skill level, etc. It's purely subjective.
Most people who make it in the industry make it off of personal relationships, which seems to make sense given her connection to a handful of the industry's most powerful brands. Not to mention every time I've run into her she's been more than gracious.

So again, to go back to what someone said at the top of this page, she has now made her Instagram private because who would want to deal with all of that negativity? Just let her skate.

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1956
« Reply #2331 on: April 12, 2023, 11:26:45 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Nothing in skate history, not even /r/skateboarding or Slap, has been more annoying and fart-sniffing than "#skatetwitter". In a meeting now but I can't wait to see what he has to say.

I remember awhile ago a bunch of people on skatetwitter through a huge stink about people posting footage of themselves, arguing that it "took away from discourse". Turns out they were just complaining about one guy who happened to be better at skating than them. One of the guys complaining the most had a bunch of their own footage pinned to the top of their profile.

There's some pretty nice people in that mix but there's so much cattiness and negativity there, as with pretty much all of Twitter.

WhoCareZ

« Reply #2332 on: April 12, 2023, 11:41:15 AM »
When will people realize there is no objective responsibilities to being a pro skateboarder.

GH made a good point about your argument in the VOD.

A street skate part, where you have to invest time into working with a filmer, land tricks in the streets, and edit those clips to music, is and has been the standard by which pro skateboarding is measured.

Someone going pro historically happens after they've released a street part or several street parts.

Having a homie film a clip or two from one session on your phone at the skate park, and posting it to IG is infinitely easier than the time and effort needed to film a proper street skate part.

When you go pro for a major skate company without grinding to make a proper street skate part, and instead make it through the 'easy' route of IG posts from your phone, that cheapens the authenticity of what skateboarding culture has embraced since its inception.

Men and women obviously have different situations in terms of standards and competition, but right now women are much more in demand for finding a place in skateboarding than men.

Giving Beatrice the go ahead to just short cut her way to being a pro with no street part sets a bad example for future girl skaters.

Therefore, Beatrice should feel obligated to shut us all up and put a street part to justify her being pro.

Otherwise, she can go join Cariuma and Bryte.

emotional_degloving

• Rep: 44
« Reply #2333 on: April 12, 2023, 11:47:40 AM »
I tried watching that stream video and I got 50 minutes in before I had to turn it off. I feel like the insufferable qualities of GH and the insufferable qualities of skate twitter were too much for me to handle. Like it got to a point where the dude might as well have been speaking the language from the sims.

anyone got that picture where it's like a screen shot of a youtube vid called two nerds fighting?

mindfuzz

• Rep: 35
« Reply #2334 on: April 12, 2023, 11:59:27 AM »

Random thunder rider with no other sponsors already has more street footage than Beatrice. FA is known for platforming riders for being cool over producing so no use in trying to deplatform her. She fits their narrative. But do your best to share footage and get people on to skaters like Nika so we can move past Beatrice being the biggest face of POC women skaters cause it's hard to watch.

Fartknocker415

• Rep: -45
« Reply #2335 on: April 12, 2023, 12:09:23 PM »
That part.  Shout out Christiana Means !!!!

Kook Me Amadeus

« Reply #2336 on: April 12, 2023, 12:18:35 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Co-Worker:  manysnakes?  What do think about that?

manysnakes:  Pardon?

Co-Worker:  About the proposal?

manysnakes:  Oh the proposal, I like it…

Co-Worker:  You want to fire Matthew?

manysnakes:  No, sorry, I wanna keep him.  Of course.

Co-Worker:  Were you not listening before?

manysnakes:  No, sorry, I was texting about my kid.

Co-Worker:  I saw… well I saw you on a website.  Looked old, like early 2000’s.  Sorry, I’ve noticed you on there before, what is that?

manysnakes:    :)

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2337 on: April 12, 2023, 12:30:36 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Co-Worker:  I saw… well I saw you on a website.  Looked old, like early 2000’s.  Sorry, I’ve noticed you on there before, what is that?

Zoom meeting. Letting a YouTube video run in the background is a little flagrant, I just looked at guitars on Craigslist.

Ultimately I think Beatrice is a completely mediocre skateboarder but I agree with all the haters who say that it absolutely doesn't matter and that the only reason why anyone has ever got a skateboard with their name on it is because someone else thought that they could sell them.

Kook Me Amadeus

« Reply #2338 on: April 12, 2023, 12:35:30 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

Zoom meeting. Letting a YouTube video run in the background is a little flagrant, I just looked at guitars on Craigslist.

Ultimately I think Beatrice is a completely mediocre skateboarder but I agree with all the haters who say that it absolutely doesn't matter and that the only reason why anyone has ever got a skateboard with their name on it is because someone else thought that they could sell them.

Well played.

I totally agree with you by the way.  I enjoy Gifted Hater, but dont agree with everything he says by any means.  I feel like the rules for skating are totally arbitrary and listening to a 25 year old and then taking his words as gospel is plain silly.

burm

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 134
« Reply #2339 on: April 12, 2023, 12:37:11 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I don't think I ever directly implied what he was saying outside of that the implication that he was questioning her professional status as a skateboarder, but from the 20+ responses I've seen on other social platforms since yesterday, there are plenty of his followers that are, which was what I was referencing in regards to his rabid fanbase.

I've seen enough Gifted Hater videos to know what they include. It's not like dude penned a fucking op-ed for the NYT. Bro is playing YouTube clips at his desk wearing a fucking headset.

"It delegitimizes women's skating"
Uhhhh, yeah no. Implying watching her skate delegitimizes women's skateboarding entirely is an absolutely insane take.
It's an entirely made up thing. Productivity, skill level, etc. It's purely subjective.

Most people who make it in the industry make it off of personal relationships, which seems to make sense given her connection to a handful of the industry's most powerful brands. Not to mention every time I've run into her she's been more than gracious.

So again, to go back to what someone said at the top of this page, she has now made her Instagram private because who would want to deal with all of that negativity? Just let her skate.

I get the argument that a board company can give a board to anyone they please and they could be an "ambassador" to the brand regardless of their skill, but the reason why it delegitimizes women's skateboarding is that if someone is the most famous at the thing regardless of their subpar skill, it sends the message that skills don't matter. Whereas in men's skateboarding, say what you will, proven skills are very much an important factor. And if skills are not important, that really muddies the waters in terms of what the expectations are for women in the sport or people following the sport. (and I use "sport" here loosely, sub in "activity" if you find it distasteful)

Anna Kournikova was once the most famous female tennis player. She never won a title but men thought she was attractive. That delegitimized women's tennis, because even if her success brought some more attention to the sport, they weren't interested in the other competitors or the sport, only her looks. It's like a zero-sum game where all the attention is funneled into one direction and effectively might even provide less visibility to the other competitors.

Does this comparison seem unfair or irrelevant in your opinion? I could also see the argument that getting overly hung up on her being a POC woman is unhelpful and she might have a pro board due to something other than sex or race, but I don't know, I'm out of my depth here.
take what small comfort there may be left
seize what you love and damn all the rest