Author Topic: 2018 the year of retirement  (Read 6638 times)

Mystical Leader

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -134
2018 the year of retirement
« on: January 20, 2018, 02:28:14 PM »
Seems like this year has had a quite a few retirements with joe red and daniel shimitzu to name a few. Also the number of gofundmes  is an indication that there isn't that much money to be made after the later years a career. forcing people to get regular jobs.

Which do you think will retire this year?

My predictions:

Chet Childress
Chris Haslam
Ernie torres
Daryl angel
Bastien salabanzi
Leo romero
Karl Watson
Colin mckay
Tony trujillo
Mike mo
Steve berra

dirtyweemidden

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 59
Re: 2018 the year of retirement
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2018, 02:35:51 PM »
theres no way TNT will be classy enough to step down willingly/gracefully.

Francis Xavier

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2222
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2018, 02:36:39 PM »
Seems like this year has had a quite a few retirements with joe red and daniel shimitzu to name a few. Also the number of gofundmes  is an indication that there isn't that much money to be made after the later years a career. forcing people to get regular jobs.

My predictions:

Chet Childress
Chris Haslam
Ernie torres
Daryl angel
Bastien salabanzi
Leo romero
Karl Watson
Colin mckay

Tony trujillo he is just coming back from a knee injury,and even though he isnt in 2003 mode he is a lifer I feel
Mike mo
Steve berra retired after he got dropped from Workshop
A lot dudes see the writing on the wall l, and will know it's time to hang it up. I'm more curious as to how many companies will last through this year.

Damn I left my bubbler at my parents house

dallou

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 163
    • Music avatar image
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2018, 02:56:13 PM »
isn't Mike Mo already retired ?
check my music

Grind King Rims

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2018, 03:22:08 PM »
Aren't Karl Watson and Chet Childress already retired?

Colin McKay would be a laughing stock if he "announced his retirement" the dude hasn't done anything of substance in over 10 years.

Bastien is only on Primitive as a legacy type thing, I don't think he's done anything since getting on and probably still sells a decent amount of boards, so I can't see why he'd retire.

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -958
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2018, 03:22:47 PM »
earnie torres? ha
"I just care about the river, I dont care about your back"

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2018, 03:24:13 PM »

Colin McKay would be a laughing stock if he "announced his retirement" the dude hasn't done anything of substance in over 10 years.

Bastien is only on Primitive as a legacy type thing, I don't think he's done anything since getting on and probably still sells a decent amount of boards, so I can't see why he'd retire.
  You haven't seen his 'bangin' i guess (colin).

WarmUpZone

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 467
  • I hope God makes you break your leg.
    • the Warm Up Zone - watching skate videos over and over avatar image
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2018, 03:27:19 PM »
What is retirement... no longer having a pro model board? No longer getting any paychecks or product as a sponsored skater?

So many skaters just sort of fade away, having boards come out less frequently or on weird brands I've never heard of, getting guest board models, starting their own companies that just can't be making enough money for steady payroll checks.

Hell, some of these skaters seem to not even know if they are retired or not. That's what makes people like Heath and Scott Johnston making clear declarations they are retiring (especially when they easily had years of pro status ahead with no skating obligations) such stand-outs.

Is Fred Gall pro? I'm surprised to see he has a deck available on the Habitat website right now. And there is that FA guest board he apparently isn't getting royalties for. But I'm not sure he would consider himself pro.
Is Mike York pro? He doesn't have a pro model on his own company... I think. But then Kerry Getz has a model with Terror of Planet X and I would consider him not a pro anymore.

Sounds like Haslam isn't pro anymore, but still seems to consider himself pro, and might find with a new board and show company soon if he wants it. He quit sponsorship but didn't retire?

I guess the question is Which pro will accept that they are retired in 2018?

As nostalgic as I am, I'm thinking it is time for a lot of 90s folks need to step aside with some dignity. It is painful to type these names, but:
Rick McCrank
Rick Howard
Arto
Tom Penny
Pat Duffy
Sean Sheffey (when your page on the 'Team' section of your board sponsor features a photo of a skatepark board slide and a video from 1993, it's over.)
even Colin McKay and Danny Way if he can't get any footage out
Crob (although I imagine his board sales are higher now than ever)
Josh Harmony
Matt Bennett
Ed Templeton
It's kinda insulting that Huf is still listed as a professional skateboarder on Real's website.
Oh my god, is Real still selling a Max Schaff boards (and not as a reissue)?!?
Maybe even Dill if we're talking the obligations of a skateboarder aside from moving units. When he could only get a few guest tricks in the Vans video, it was time to call it.

Damn, nearly all my favorites. Once 'retired' they can still skate, and certainly I hope they can continue contributing to skating in some way, but time to make some space on the roster. We aren't expecting these folks to get gnarly, but give us something. Jamie Thomas is out there trying to get it going. Andrew is putting our part. Tony is learning new tricks.

And then there are the legions of pros that I sincerely hope drop a surprise comeback part, but should probably retire with dignity and will mostly likely just have their names deleted from the team page with no ceremony.
I'm talking your Pat Burkes. Chad Tim Tims. Terry Kennedys. The whole LE team (RIP). Duffman. Please prove me wrong, fellas.
Warm Up Zone. Let's watch some skateboarding videos.

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2018, 03:35:52 PM »
^It would be a contemptuous world if Tom Penny didn't have a skateboard with his name on it.  -his inclusion on your list discredits all of which you speak.  And Mcrank is still a pro  level tranny skater so why should he retire?
« Last Edit: January 20, 2018, 03:42:00 PM by givecigstosurfgroms »

WarmUpZone

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2018, 03:49:37 PM »
^It would be a contemptuous world if Tom Penny didn't have a skateboard with his name on it.  -This discredits all of which you speak.  And Mcrank is still a pro  level tranny skater so why should he retire?

No doubt Tom will still be selling boards long after he stops skating forever. Might have already happened for all I know. He probably is moving more units than Louie Lopez right now.

And is McCrank still pro level skater? I wouldn't know since he hasn't produced significant footage or photos for any of his sponsors in a decade. Or maybe he has and I haven't seen it.

There are only a handful of skater who should have a lifetime (and beyond) pass for a pro model. Cardiel for sure. Gonz. Rodney maybe. Penny might be one. That's about it.

Which bags the eternal question in skateboarding, where professional status is based on sales (celebrity and popularity) more than ability... when are we gonna just have pro models for non-skateboarders.
Didn't Tom Green have a board with Birdhouse. And FA gave Chloe Sevigny a board because, I don't know, New York or something.

CrumblingInfrastructure

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 297
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2018, 06:23:56 PM »
Expand Quote

My predictions:

Chet Childress
Chris Haslam
Ernie torres
Daryl angel
Bastien salabanzi
Leo romero
Karl Watson
Colin mckay

Tony trujillo he is just coming back from a knee injury,and even though he isnt in 2003 mode he is a lifer I feel
Mike mo
Steve berra retired after he got dropped from Workshop
[close]
A lot dudes see the writing on the wall l, and will know it's time to hang it up. I'm more curious as to how many companies will last through this year.

Sub Thread for this might be interesting. Or on a bigger scale could this be the year we see a entire distributor go under (Crail, Dwindle, Kayo, etc).

matter of fact

• Rep: 42
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2018, 07:07:31 PM »
man i haven't seen how McCrank's been doing in the current stage of his knees, but if he skated with grant taylor for a week i'm pretty sure he would be ripping way harder than grant. dude's such an atv at such a high level... anyway

i wish Rattray would put out any sort of footage, but if he retired this year i wouldn't be surprised. like dude! film some half assed mini ramp line and just put something out there

Dr-Feelgood

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 41
  • Hello, i love you, won't you tell me your name?
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2018, 07:44:47 PM »
man i haven't seen how McCrank's been doing in the current stage of his knees, but if he skated with grant taylor for a week i'm pretty sure he would be ripping way harder than grant. dude's such an atv at such a high level... anyway

i wish Rattray would put out any sort of footage, but if he retired this year i wouldn't be surprised. like dude! film some half assed mini ramp line and just put something out there

Ahhh dude i would love some new Rattray footage, i always liked that guys parts.

Apart from that, the list is pretty decent as far as predictions go, cant see Leo romero stopping this year though.... What happened to Haslam anyway?

We may not know what skateboarding is
But we sure as hell know what it aint
Wait we know what it is now too -
Falling down and gettin back up

GAY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 3337
  • Those that SLAP, can't.
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2018, 07:47:25 PM »
I don't much care for Leo Romero but he is still destroying shit.

curbdrop

• Rep: 3
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2018, 08:17:10 PM »
Jose Rojo retired right before they made Sammaria pro.

sharkin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 483
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2018, 08:18:37 PM »
Leo’s filming a full toy machine part. He’s sort of very recently taken some time out of the spotlight to tour with his band, stillkilling it as usual.

DirtyBurger

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 116
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2018, 09:25:00 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Ahhh dude i would love some new Rattray footage, i always liked that guys parts.

Apart from that, the list is pretty decent as far as predictions go, cant see Leo romero stopping this year though.... What happened to Haslam anyway?

I know I read something about him doing a charity bike ride for depression in 2017, and I want to say it had a loose connection to the trans world DIY project that they were doing in Portland at the time. I never saw any footage of it, assuming it was associated with the whole lawsuit about a bird reserve or something like that. I like to think theres recent footage of him out there though.

SLAPASONIC

• Rep: 22
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2018, 09:28:41 PM »
What is retirement... no longer having a pro model board? No longer getting any paychecks or product as a sponsored skater?

So many skaters just sort of fade away, having boards come out less frequently or on weird brands I've never heard of, getting guest board models, starting their own companies that just can't be making enough money for steady payroll checks.

Hell, some of these skaters seem to not even know if they are retired or not. That's what makes people like Heath and Scott Johnston making clear declarations they are retiring (especially when they easily had years of pro status ahead with no skating obligations) such stand-outs.

Is Fred Gall pro? I'm surprised to see he has a deck available on the Habitat website right now. And there is that FA guest board he apparently isn't getting royalties for. But I'm not sure he would consider himself pro.
Is Mike York pro? He doesn't have a pro model on his own company... I think. But then Kerry Getz has a model with Terror of Planet X and I would consider him not a pro anymore.

Sounds like Haslam isn't pro anymore, but still seems to consider himself pro, and might find with a new board and show company soon if he wants it. He quit sponsorship but didn't retire?

As nostalgic as I am, I'm thinking it is time for a lot of 90s folks need to step aside with some dignity. It is painful to type these names, but:
Rick McCrank
Rick Howard
Arto
Tom Penny
Pat Duffy
Sean Sheffey (when your page on the 'Team' section of your board sponsor features a photo of a skatepark board slide and a video from 1993, it's over.)
Josh Harmony
Matt Bennett
Ed Templeton
It's kinda insulting that Huf is still listed as a professional skateboarder on Real's website.
Maybe even Dill if we're talking the obligations of a skateboarder aside from moving units. When he could only get a few guest tricks in the Vans video, it was time to call it.

Damn, nearly all my favorites. Once 'retired' they can still skate, and certainly I hope they can continue contributing to skating in some way, but time to make some space on the roster. We aren't expecting these folks to get gnarly, but give us something. Jamie Thomas is out there trying to get it going. Andrew is putting our part. Tony is learning new tricks.

And then there are the legions of pros that I sincerely hope drop a surprise comeback part, but should probably retire with dignity and will mostly likely just have their names deleted from the team page with no ceremony.
I'm talking your Pat Burkes. Chad Tim Tims. Terry Kennedys. The whole LE team (RIP). Duffman. Please prove me wrong, fellas.

A lot of guys you've listed still skate hard and have had parts within the last 4 years. Remember, video parts take a long time to film, not everyone can be like Ishod. I'm sure some of the dudes listed have talked about working on a part right now. Haslam had a pretty good part for Transworld 3 years ago, an had the last part for 5incher, he still skates well, I'd say he's definitely in the ranks of a pro skater. Crob still skates too, dude had a significant amount of footage last year and the year before, even if most of it was park footage. Also if you still sell boards and skate, why not keep pro ranks? Unlike other professional sports, skating is different in that you don't need to be competing to be considered a professional skateboarder. 

LittlePersonBigWorld

• Rep: 0
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2018, 09:59:37 PM »
been lurking this cesspool for years, finally decided to make an account and respond to something.
Rick McCrank being the reason...
The guy still absolutely rips, seeing him skate Hastings bowl in Vancouver is insane, if he pushed harder with filming you would understand why he is still considered pro status. His lack of footage in the last Lakai video was disheartening, not to mention the latest Antisocial flick.
But yeah, he absolutely still skates at a professional level. His tranny skating is next level

Krooked antihero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 158
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2018, 12:10:29 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

http://www.jenkemmag.com/home/2018/01/10/hell-chris-haslam/
europe's like the capitol of england and france and whatever

It sucks getting old.

Nate

• Rep: 41
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2018, 02:20:48 AM »

Chet still has pro models with Heroin, which is okay with me because he still rips and is always up to cool shit.

Swithflip

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -748
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2018, 03:52:25 AM »
Marcus Mcbride and Stevie Williams.

roba

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 775
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2018, 05:01:27 AM »

Rick McCrank
Rick Howard
Arto
Tom Penny
Pat Duffy
Josh Harmony
Matt Bennett
Ed Templeton

harmony retired in early 2017, i think he's focusing on music now
I'm ok with theft. It happens to me all the time.
I steal too

I’m rich and smart

R.I.P Tate

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2018, 05:05:58 AM »
  So Cards and Tom Penny get 'the pass' as people who get to be 'pro for life' by the skate community.   But your also gonna be stuck with Cab, Hawk, Lance (maybe he'll retire) and McGill.  (yah I know lance rips)

93til....

• Rep: 1
« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2018, 06:29:09 AM »
What is pro? When people enjoy watching you skate I'd say.... All kinds of other things you could use to qualify though I suppose.... wins contests..... stacks footage.... gnarliest of gnarly..... skates every (single) day..... Pushing the "limits" of the "sport". Ability to pull out anything in your bag from any time of your career, currently...? I seem to be picking up on the recurrent vibe here with a lot of people's resentment toward pros who hang around. As if they're concerned for their dignity... To use a jock analogy (not that we want to be like them), you have retired players with their names on jerseys, shoes and even shoe brands themselves... Does this mean said players think they can go bang with the current pros? No. They would readily admit that too..Their contribution is what they have done, not (clearly) what they are doing, and whatever it is people have decided it is to be pro. Some of what they have done themselves in past they can no longer do now. Point taken. Who here isn't sparked when Gino or Carroll drop something new on IG? Koston or Guy? Could be a 20 second clip. We all want to see it. Does that mean they're pro? To me it does. It just happens to be that that stuff is rare now. That same interest makes people want to support them, again, for what they have done... not what they are doing. The fact I want to see a BS tail slide on an 8" ledge from someone who isn't at the "forefront" of today's skating just as much as I can appreciate the dude who I've never heard of, but is doing things I would've thought impossible 25 years ago is exactly why they're (still) pro. And frankly, you have a dude who ripped it from 25+ years ago (I'm old ok?) show up at the park, you'll probably stop watching all the younger dudes throwing hammers and watch him... He could look like he hasn't skated in that long too..... You'll still watch. Because you know what that guy has done, and in turn could do. Thats what I'm talking about. Not to sum it up in a shitty cop-out way either, but when their name doesn't move boards, they won't put it on there. No one is getting left out because of these guys, no one is losing shine, no one is "losing out" because they're "hanging on". Whether its a notion of "fairness", "deservingness", "earning it", "having pro integrity" or whatever. Give it up. I'll buy their boards if I can. I'll support a product or brand if I know someone I respect (or used to) is behind it. I'll watch video of them when I can. There is no formula or matrix for measuring "pro-ness". Thats what makes skating what it is, its not neat or tidy. I like to gossip about skating too, thats why I'm here, but I'm totally mystified by all the chatter about people needing to hang it up. Just doesn't compute to me. All that said, I don't think everyone who's ever had their name on a board "earned" it. But most the names I see mentioned here predominately have in my opinion. Maybe someone can put it a way I could relate?

Salty Lame Ass Poosey

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -265
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2018, 06:33:34 AM »

Colin McKay would be a laughing stock if he "announced his retirement" the dude hasn't done anything but abuse substance in the last 10 years.

*fixed
Skateboarding don't owe you shit but wheel bite in the rain -Jake Pheps

WarmUpZone

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2018, 09:52:23 AM »
been lurking this cesspool for years, finally decided to make an account and respond to something.
Rick McCrank being the reason...
The guy still absolutely rips, seeing him skate Hastings bowl in Vancouver is insane, if he pushed harder with filming you would understand why he is still considered pro status. His lack of footage in the last Lakai video was disheartening, not to mention the latest Antisocial flick.
But yeah, he absolutely still skates at a professional level. His tranny skating is next level

But filming videos and taking photos to promote the brands that pay you is (or should be) essential being a pro. McCrank's absence in Pretty Sweet, The Flare, and everything else has been such a let down. If he is ripping, he should let somebody point a camera at him. At least once in a while. Why not put footage in a video?

Skate professionals are more like musicians than athletes. Pink Floyd may not perform or write any new material, but they continue to sell all kinds of records  and products (including those Habitat skateboards). It all about sponsorship and not professional/paid competition.

It is true... what is really essential to being pro is one's ability selling product.
Which opens up the industry to celebrity pro models from folks that barely, or don't, skate. It already happened with Tom Green on Birdhouse and Chloe Sevigny has a board for FA because, I don't know, New York or something.

Sadly, a Justin Bieber or Lil Wayne pro model would sell. Maybe not to core skaters, but shit would sell and they would be pro.

A skaters abilities and willingness to promote product through video, photo, social media, and demos (those still happen, right?) should be crucial.

Pigeon

« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2018, 10:06:42 AM »
Is Fred Gall pro? I'm surprised to see he has a deck available on the Habitat website right now. And there is that FA guest board he apparently isn't getting royalties for.
Fuck Dill & AVE, if this is true.

max power

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 675
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2018, 10:12:04 AM »
McCrank has been filming for the new Thomas Campbell vid.

Big Baby Jesus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 265
    • Suciu avatar image
« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2018, 10:57:52 AM »
Leo’s filming a full toy machine part. He’s sort of very recently taken some time out of the spotlight to tour with his band, stillkilling it as usual.

Does any one happen to know what happened to Leo and Beibels Push parts? I think they are the only ones that didn't get released. Assuming the Berrics couldn't/didn't pay up so the footage got held?
flat spotted 3 times in 2 weeks, other than that awesome wheels

Baby is gonna be raised by Max and Cyrus