Author Topic: The Injury Thread  (Read 47841 times)

BMCsteve

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 54
Re: The Injury Thread
« Reply #120 on: March 26, 2019, 03:33:18 PM »
Diagnosed with a torn ACL today.  surgery and 7-9 months of PT in my future

curbslayer

• Rep: 9
  • How dose the board stick to their feet ?
« Reply #121 on: March 26, 2019, 03:56:04 PM »
smashed my face and broke my front 4 top teeth and bit threw my top lip 8ft to flat it was tight cant chew gum any more with out my jaw poping super hard and it will randomly lock when i yawn sometimes but skatebording is cool tho so its chill

belt

• Rep: -16
« Reply #122 on: March 26, 2019, 04:10:14 PM »
completely ruptured my Asshole very painful after surgery took a year to walk, took a good 5 years to get ok at skating again. Sucking at skating is much more fun than being good, got to go through that twice in life. Now I don’t judge people for their ability on a board.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2019, 08:27:50 PM by belt »

Hmmmm Nice Bike

« Reply #123 on: March 26, 2019, 06:09:29 PM »
I tore my ACL which seems to be a common injury for any sport, however the most brutal injury I ever received was splitting my nose open with the tail of my board...

When I was about eleven I used to skate my way to a friends house and the route I'd take included a large bridge, so sometimes when the bridge was empty I'd ride down it which meant I would also scrape the hell out of my tail when trying to slow down which was a pretty dumb habit. Eventually doing this lead to the tail of my board being sharp, so one day the board popped up and sliced my nose open. It was surprisingly not that painful, but I had to sit out the first few weeks of the summer and got like eleven stitches. I wish I had a photo but all I have now is a small scar.

shingles

• Rep: -61
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #124 on: March 27, 2019, 02:04:45 AM »
Fuck, I went through this thread and I can say beside a split kidney / spleen I've never had any injury that that stopped me from skating for a longer period of time.

KNOCK ON WOOD
support your local ramp-tramp

elbarto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 33
« Reply #125 on: March 27, 2019, 08:28:07 AM »
I ruptured my trachea and punctured a lung a few years back. Didn’t even know it happened but after about 24 hours I couldn’t move my neck or breathe right. When I finally went to the hospital they said I had about 8 or so hours left in me. Neck braces are fun, total chick magnet lol. 
“I’ll whoop your ass with my arm out of socket”

Thomas

• Rep: 20
  • no pop no style
« Reply #126 on: June 06, 2019, 05:55:45 AM »
I'm in this thread, again.
Broke the base of my thumb last week doing a switch race like a total idiot.
I think it's called a Bennett fracture.
I will have a surgery on Tuesday and they will add some screws.

My question is, do you guys skate with splints when you fuck your hands ?
I don't know if I will be able to wait for 6 weeks since my legs are OK...
Possibilities are everywhere, search and enjoy.

Idk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 307
« Reply #127 on: June 06, 2019, 07:42:27 AM »
Anyone know what this would be? And how to help. I feel like a sharp pain on the outside of my right ankle where the bone is. Whenever I try a bs tail on a smaller ledge (I’m regular) I feel a “bite” when I lock in just a sharp pain that I eventually get used to but the first few tries are pretty painful. I also feel it whenever I do a kickflip and don’t bend my back leg enough to absorb the impact. Right underneath that bony part on the outside of the ankle.

shrockitis

• Rep: 3
« Reply #128 on: June 06, 2019, 07:24:27 PM »
Anyone know what this would be? And how to help. I feel like a sharp pain on the outside of my right ankle where the bone is. Whenever I try a bs tail on a smaller ledge (I’m regular) I feel a “bite” when I lock in just a sharp pain that I eventually get used to but the first few tries are pretty painful. I also feel it whenever I do a kickflip and don’t bend my back leg enough to absorb the impact. Right underneath that bony part on the outside of the ankle.

literally came here to post about a very similar problem, except on my left ankle. It all started trying to skate fakie over something and kept landing with my left knee bent over my foot, kept feeling a small sharp pain in it. Now whenever I land like that, now even the tiniest tweak can set it off. It's not bad but I feel like it's getting progressively worse. Specific tricks set it off as well, like bs tails (what you said, I'm goofy so it's the same ankle) and any nollie fs trick. Really hoping it isn't a big problem

Mongoloid

« Reply #129 on: June 06, 2019, 08:25:19 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

literally came here to post about a very similar problem, except on my left ankle. It all started trying to skate fakie over something and kept landing with my left knee bent over my foot, kept feeling a small sharp pain in it. Now whenever I land like that, now even the tiniest tweak can set it off. It's not bad but I feel like it's getting progressively worse. Specific tricks set it off as well, like bs tails (what you said, I'm goofy so it's the same ankle) and any nollie fs trick. Really hoping it isn't a big problem

Look...fuck everything you’re saying, because I ignored it and don’t care, but I seriously just mistook your name as Shrocktits, which would be a hilarious play on Sharktits moniker.

Davie Dick

• Rep: 14
« Reply #130 on: June 06, 2019, 10:40:05 PM »
I'm in this thread, again.
Broke the base of my thumb last week doing a switch race like a total idiot.
I think it's called a Bennett fracture.
I will have a surgery on Tuesday and they will add some screws.
Which hand is it on? Might be a Barley fracture

shrockitis

• Rep: 3
« Reply #131 on: June 07, 2019, 08:27:51 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Look...fuck everything you’re saying, because I ignored it and don’t care, but I seriously just mistook your name as Shrocktits, which would be a hilarious play on Sharktits moniker.

If only it was mate

Idk

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #132 on: June 07, 2019, 12:43:44 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Mine stems from hyper extending my knee and never going to rehab for it. Now whenever I cross my right leg the leg starts falling asleep and getting tingly.

DanTheDoucher

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -195
« Reply #133 on: June 07, 2019, 01:01:52 PM »
Trying to ollie an 8 stair about 15 years ago, board slipped out from under me upon landing. I landed on my right side pretty hard and pinched a nerve in my right leg. For the next 2 months or so, I had very limited feeling from the waist down on the right side. I could walk fine but skating was simply out of the question. Doctor said I just needed to wait it out, which ended up working and it healed fine.

It was interesting though because it felt weird to take a shit. And I could get a boner but couldn't really feel anything when my girlfriend (now wife) touched it. 

FUCK YOU
not stoked on orcas today. leave the whales alone. big ass black and white motherfuckers. free willy can suck my dick

Chris

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 12
« Reply #134 on: June 07, 2019, 01:14:23 PM »
I’ve had a hurt right knee for quite some time now but about 7 months ago after a day of skating my knee was swollen like it hadn’t done before and didn’t start to go down for probably a week. I hadn’t injured it when skating it just kind of happened seemingly out of nowhere on my skate home.

I went to a doctor and was told that I had a meniscus tear so immediately started physio therapy. After 5 months of physio and my therapist(although really good) was confused at times from the pain I’d describe and the problem actually becoming worse, I went to get MRI’s done.

Turns out my cartilage is delaminating from my knee bones, an uncommon injury(other than in triathletes) thats partly genetic and partly from overuse of the knee. Anyways finally for a referral to a surgeon and am now getting surgery and pro injections afterwards.

Although expensive, I’d recommend PRP injections or Prolotherapy for arthritis or cartilage issues as well as healing old torn ligaments.

Glurmpz

« Reply #135 on: August 28, 2019, 08:37:42 PM »
Just dislocated my left elbow dorking around last night. Still healing (and most likely needing another surgery) from dislocating the right elbow in January. Fucking suuuuuucks. This time was pretty bad, painkillers aren't doing much at all. Can't feel half my hand. I am way too injury prone to be a skateboarder, but it's my life. Take the good with the bad, I guess.

Serious Tea Drinker

« Reply #136 on: August 30, 2019, 05:41:32 PM »
Anyone ever reset a dislocated finger?

I dislocated my pinky today. When I looked at it, hanging at 90 degrees my instinct was to immediacy just snap it back into place, which I did pretty smoothly. It was painful for a few minutes and I nearly blacked out but after that it swelled up and now seems OK. I can move it, blood is flowing and its not really that painful... or even that bruised looking.

My gut tells me the time to get to urgent care and then wait to have it reset would have been worse...

Anyone else ever reset their own digit? how did it go?

midnightsnack

• Rep: -57
« Reply #137 on: September 01, 2019, 02:21:26 PM »
Alright, need some knee injury advice, which could be possibly the most complicated advice to give seeing as there are so many things that can go wrong inside of those dumb fucks...

To make a very long story short, about 6 years ago I was misdiagnosed with a broken kneecap, when I’m actuality, I have a bipartite patella (knee cap made from two pieces.) ER doc diagnosed it, the follow up orthopedic doctor was young and inexperienced, never ordered an MRI, and continued to treat it as if it were a broken knee cap. Placed me in a completely immobilizing brace from the thigh to the shin... which is where the problems really began...

Ever since then (on top of over 15 years of skating) the inside of my right knee is the size of a grapefruit, some days with pain, some days with no pain and less swelling, but there’s for sure fluid in there. I’ve seen, no joke, at least 3 separate doctors who look at it and tell me it’s just a deep bruise, THEY NEVER FUCKING TREAT IT. Recently though, I was walking up a flight of steps, put pressure on it and pivoted off of it at the wrong time and I felt the strangest “tweak,” inside of it. Was in pain for a month, this was about 5 weeks ago... my boss at the time set me up to see her chiropractor, and he did the standard tests and said it’s most likely my MCL... because I don’t have insurance, I can’t afford an MRI out of pocket, let alone surgery. It seemed to heal somewhat over time.

Today, I tried standing up after sitting down with my legs crossed (namaste motherfuckers) and when I put my weight on that knee to push off of it I felt it go sideways, but with no pop.

I am in AGONY, but am fearful that the ER is going to continue to do nothing about it. No MRI, no medication, nothing, like always.

Has anyone had experience with this? Legitimately what should I do? I’m supposed to start a new job in two days where I’m on my feet all day. My biggest fear is wasting my time and accruing more med debt with no real treatment.

Any help or advice would be appreciated  ;D

L33Tg33k

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 722
  • F.A.P. - Forever Alone Party
« Reply #138 on: September 01, 2019, 03:39:02 PM »
These fucking bunions suck so much fucking ass. I can't even put on 90% of my shoes, let alone skate. And I motherfucking walk for a living.
Before you say the music sucked, have you considered shutting the fuck up?

clintendo

• Rep: 25
« Reply #139 on: September 02, 2019, 04:08:44 AM »
Just dislocated my left elbow dorking around last night. Still healing (and most likely needing another surgery) from dislocating the right elbow in January. Fucking suuuuuucks. This time was pretty bad, painkillers aren't doing much at all. Can't feel half my hand. I am way too injury prone to be a skateboarder, but it's my life. Take the good with the bad, I guess.

What surgery do they do for dislocated elbows? I've previously dislocated my right elbow twice over the years and last week almost did it again, except this time it kindo just went out then back in under pressure. I've had it compressed most of the time and haven't been doing anything too drastic with it, but surprisingly it's not that bad, almost like the muscles around it are sore. I can't straighten it fully yet though.

Yesterdays-pop

• Rep: -388
« Reply #140 on: September 05, 2019, 06:54:17 PM »
Went to do a nose manny right around the corner from my apartment and first try my lead leg just gave out after landing in manual. I think it’s my MCL, it’s been bothering me at the end of long sessions to skate home and I’ve been pushing a lot. I’m gonna mark 6 weeks in my calendar and try to stay off the board. It’s not totally fucked but kinda crackly and hurts, can’t walk up stairs. Any MCL advice?

V.I. Lenin

• Rep: -12
« Reply #141 on: October 01, 2019, 10:31:15 AM »
Rolled my both ankles today... Fuck

sus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 373
« Reply #142 on: October 01, 2019, 10:44:02 AM »
Don't know if i posted this already but i fucked up my right Achilles skating a flat gap and either strained or partially tore something in my achilles and couldn't walk for about a week. I also strained some muscles right above my ankle but those healed about a month after.

It's been probably 3-5 months now and I still get pains when i pop tricks where i have to point my toe down like back bigspins and stuff. It's also extremely painful if i hop out of my car and i catch my toe on the lip of the inside - forcing my foot to point downward extremely suddenly.

Anybody have tips on rehabbing and/or stretching an achilles heel
?

Switch FS K-Swiss Grind

• Rep: 76
« Reply #143 on: October 02, 2019, 04:28:55 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I recommend an x ray. You might have a loose piece of bone that been pulled off the ankle by a ligament detaching when you've rolled your ankle and thought you just sprained it. My back ankle has loose bits of bone on three sides and i had no idea until i got a scan. On the back and on the outside they've worn smooth like river stones and don't give me any trouble, but the one on the inside gives me grief almost daily. It's fine most of the time but i can just step wrong and be limping for an hour, or for the rest of the day.
on the commentary for the scene where jeremy klein rollerblades at that little skatepark he said the actual blader with dreads who was there came up to him and asked him if he listens to korn

AssFlea

• Rep: -31
« Reply #144 on: October 02, 2019, 07:50:49 AM »
When I touch the back of my head my arms and legs go numb
_--
xX
^    @
''')'
'''''

hashbrowns

• Rep: -9
« Reply #145 on: October 02, 2019, 01:01:33 PM »
completely ruptured my Asshole very painful after surgery took a year to walk, took a good 5 years to get ok at skating again. Sucking at skating is much more fun than being good, got to go through that twice in life. Now I don’t judge people for their ability on a board.

I don't care what anyone else posts, this one is the winner.

switchbs180

« Reply #146 on: November 04, 2019, 01:32:56 AM »
Did anyone of you skate with some kind of ankle protection? I am wearing a brace on my right ankle for two years. It makes my foot a bit stiff but that is still better as a broken ankle.

Thanks in advance pals.

Idk

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #147 on: November 04, 2019, 05:25:11 AM »
Is this a torn meniscus or some sort of knee issue? I can’t walk up stairs or squat without quad pain or calf tightness and my knee cap area pops a ton. Especially when I kick out. It’s my popping leg.

texasplant

• Rep: 84
« Reply #148 on: November 04, 2019, 05:53:43 AM »
3 weeks ago I severely dislocated my elbow. Couple fractures, tore my tricep from the bone, tore another tendon, ligament, and damaged a nerve in the process as well giving me “ulnar claw hand”. Can’t feel or move my ring and pinkie fingers. Surgery later this week. I’m out for as long as a year or so, and I’m fucking shattered. First time having surgery and I’m shitting my pants.

I haven’t had this much time off since I was at least 13, and it’s only been a few weeks, I don’t know what to do with myself for the months coming, I’m not good at picking up new hobbies, nor do I really care to honestly.

jtrpma

• Rep: 45
  • PMA
« Reply #149 on: November 04, 2019, 06:25:39 AM »
Did anyone of you skate with some kind of ankle protection? I am wearing a brace on my right ankle for two years. It makes my foot a bit stiff but that is still better as a broken ankle.

Thanks in advance pals.

i am off mine at the moment for the first time in almost ten years.
needed it for almost everything. hiking, workout, long working dys, riding bikes, etc.

started on aircast stirrup which i hate. very stiff, gives me bruises, destroys your shoes and prevents muscle buildup; so it slows down healing and motion range regeneration. (not for sports in my opinion, i broke two riding bmx on sideload impacts, when you need them most the part that connects the two pieces just broke out of the case whit a huge snap and pressure releaf, i thought i tore my foot in half)

then moved to push aequi that was very good. not too bulky, decent range of motion with very good stabilization -> https://www.healthproductsforyou.com/p-push-ortho-aequi-ankle-brace.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI49jG9t3Q5QIVjJyzCh1skAoSEAQYBCABEgLLc_D_BwE

last i had a generic wrap (high) that felt more casual but if you wrap it tight so it supports your foot it fucks up your bloodflow and can be uncomfortable over time (toes get numb and shit like that)
and if you wrap it a bit more loosely it seems to me not more protection than a sock. and never made me feel very safe.

so at the moment i am doing lots of stretching (maxing out range of motion) tip toe walk and squats to improve stability and deck-on-soda-bottle-style ballance board. have been better than ever but it was a bitch of a process.

sorry for the novel, i hope it helps.

PMA