Author Topic: What aspect of skating did you particularly enjoy today?  (Read 173249 times)

kook nukem

Re: What aspect of skating did you particularly enjoy today?
« Reply #1140 on: May 04, 2017, 10:33:04 AM »
Not skating today, but the other night I waxed the sidewalk part of a curb I skate near my house and was able to do super long nollie lipslides. Plus the curb is at the top of little hill, so it's like skating mellow transition.

Dwyck

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 150
  • Harley-Davidson Ironwing
« Reply #1141 on: May 06, 2017, 12:29:01 PM »
took the bus for a beer run and caught my friend at the end of a battle on this wallie, so hype to walk in that
Regular stance is a mental disorder defined by the DSM-5

GershonSweaty

• Rep: -3
    • @_moreinformation avatar image
« Reply #1142 on: May 06, 2017, 12:46:27 PM »
Being outdoors.

MC3

• Rep: 130
  • "That's a Helluva price to pay for being stylish!"
« Reply #1143 on: May 06, 2017, 01:32:17 PM »
Just learned Wallie up slightly banked stuff. Went around downtown just hitting everything I could.

next on the list: Wallride-nollie out thing
(Cool Trick GIF)

Badmeaningood

• Rep: 23
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1144 on: May 06, 2017, 04:12:07 PM »
Frontside slappies. I could be happy doing only this trick for the rest of my life. I'm nearing 42 so who knows how long that's gonna be?

drunk guy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 93
« Reply #1145 on: May 06, 2017, 08:41:20 PM »
Skated a flat ground spot in lower Manhattan (tf west) for a while and saw Steve Rodriguez for the first time in a while skating with his kid. Also the dude is probably a good decade older then my self and could easily rip my head off. 

Krooked antihero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 158
« Reply #1146 on: May 07, 2017, 01:19:04 AM »
Frontside slappies. I could be happy doing only this trick for the rest of my life. I'm nearing 42 so who knows how long that's gonna be?
Best feeling ever! Picked up new set of Bones Swiss and Bones stf wheels yesterday, went to the curbs to warm up and ended up staying all day there slapping the shit out 'em. Learned how to slappy nosegrind too so it was a good day.
europe's like the capitol of england and france and whatever

It sucks getting old.

MC3

« Reply #1147 on: May 07, 2017, 02:42:18 AM »
Quote from: Krooked antihero  link=topic=51056.msg2639368#msg2639368 date=1494145144
Expand Quote
[close]
Best feeling ever! Picked up new set of Bones Swiss and Bones stf wheels yesterday, went to the curbs to warm up and ended up staying all day there slapping the shit out 'em. Learned how to slappy nosegrind too so it was a good day.
That's one trick I want to learn so bad, they just look like they feel cool. Any tips?
(Cool Trick GIF)

SodaJerk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1085
  • Butterscotch yo!
« Reply #1148 on: May 07, 2017, 02:58:15 AM »
Quote from: Krooked antihero  link=topic=51056.msg2639368#msg2639368 date=1494145144
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
That's one trick I want to learn so bad, they just look like they feel cool. Any tips?
Approach at speed with your feet over the bolts, your angle at first should be almost a complete 90 degrees to the curb. Lean back a little with slightly more weight on your back foot. Get comfortable with the feeling of smashing your truck into the curb then as you feel more comfortable with the trucks ability to get on top of the curb without you lifting add a little carve into the motion. You want to be powerful with the smash but light footed once you're up. Whenever I've taught someone how to do it the most important thing is the almost direct angle to begin with. The board plus a little carve does the rest of the trick for you. Commit and you're good.

Noble Experiment

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 284
« Reply #1149 on: May 07, 2017, 04:02:35 AM »
Been getting somewhat better at regular heelflips lately, which has always been a weakness trick of mine. I landed two today; that's two more than I usually land on a normal sesh.

shark tits

« Reply #1150 on: May 07, 2017, 05:16:11 AM »
i'm at bee camp in a town of 300 people but i'm still gonna try to skate [and i love this thread]. found a hill that connected to a choose your adventure set of hills. i chose the one w/ smoother ground over steeper pitch and was enjoying as it came to it's nadir when a giant german shepard started nipping at my heels.
i'm yelling 'go home dog' and finally aborted my trajectory to stop the nips. a lady came out and apologized. the paved roads are really rough out here but maybe i'll hitch a ride to lincoln or omaha next time opportunity allows.

MC3

« Reply #1151 on: May 07, 2017, 09:38:27 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
[close]
Approach at speed with your feet over the bolts, your angle at first should be almost a complete 90 degrees to the curb. Lean back a little with slightly more weight on your back foot. Get comfortable with the feeling of smashing your truck into the curb then as you feel more comfortable with the trucks ability to get on top of the curb without you lifting add a little carve into the motion. You want to be powerful with the smash but light footed once you're up. Whenever I've taught someone how to do it the most important thing is the almost direct angle to begin with. The board plus a little carve does the rest of the trick for you. Commit and you're good.

My bad, I should've made it more clear I meant I wanted to learn nosegrind slappies, but honestly there are some tips in here that might help my slappies as t is so thank you!
(Cool Trick GIF)

expired

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 73
« Reply #1152 on: May 07, 2017, 01:12:10 PM »
learned fakie ollie, fakie manny, fakie shuv out and half cab out, also this 9 year old kid was ripping around a local park and people were cheering him on whenever he landed tricks and he was so happy, he learned blunt to fakie on a quarter, true joy to see a kid so happy.
Also shot out into a scooter kid at the skatepark and his parents came running over yelling at me and i mentioned the fact we were at a skatepark so there may be skateboards around.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 142
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #1153 on: May 07, 2017, 06:05:13 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
[close]
nice! I'm 90% there with the backside version now, back truck doesn't always pop up though... any tips?
Took my boy to the park (not skatepark, nature park with little area where you can skate) and it was dope to just see him roll around with other skaters. He's only two and a half but you can see the stoke in his eyes. All the other skaters there were cool with him getting in the way or whatever and were really looking out for him when their boards flew out etc.

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

Paul Cicero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -287
« Reply #1154 on: May 07, 2017, 06:20:24 PM »
Skated flat at this little parking lot by my house to break in a new board/shoes combo.. That feeling when all your gear just works and confidence is high!  ;D

Esquivel

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 214
« Reply #1155 on: May 08, 2017, 01:32:13 AM »
It is not something i enjoyed today because today i'm at work but yesterday i finally learned fs crooked! Have been trying this trick for at least 20 years and have always been able to do  them nollie but now i can straight pop into one
Expand Quote
And people say weed makes you creative
[close]
Good weed does - these broke ass skateboard designers smokin spice

SodaJerk

• SLAP Pal
  • Butterscotch yo!
« Reply #1156 on: May 08, 2017, 04:24:32 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
[close]
[close]
nice! I'm 90% there with the backside version now, back truck doesn't always pop up though... any tips?
Took my boy to the park (not skatepark, nature park with little area where you can skate) and it was dope to just see him roll around with other skaters. He's only two and a half but you can see the stoke in his eyes. All the other skaters there were cool with him getting in the way or whatever and were really looking out for him when their boards flew out etc.
The difference between fs and bs is with bs you've got to snap your shoulders squarer with the board. With fs you can just sort of surf into it but backside once you slap pinch toe side on the front foot and heel side with your back foot and keep your shoulders square above the board.
I can do fs nosegrind slappies and it's just a matter of putting your front foot a little higher and committing, I can almost squeeze out slappy crooks, I'm working on them but one of my friends has them dialled so I'll ask him and report back.

shit_for_brains

« Reply #1157 on: May 08, 2017, 05:36:36 AM »
Catching kickflips on the way up

Krooked antihero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 158
« Reply #1158 on: May 08, 2017, 08:38:48 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
[close]
[close]
[close]
The difference between fs and bs is with bs you've got to snap your shoulders squarer with the board. With fs you can just sort of surf into it but backside once you slap pinch toe side on the front foot and heel side with your back foot and keep your shoulders square above the board.
I can do fs nosegrind slappies and it's just a matter of putting your front foot a little higher and committing, I can almost squeeze out slappy crooks, I'm working on them but one of my friends has them dialled so I'll ask him and report back.
I imagine tiny little bank next to curb so I can grind the "coping", it makes it somehow easier to me. Tight little curve just before curb and immediately getting youre shoulders linear with curb when you hit it should do the job. Oh, and front truck always first.
europe's like the capitol of england and france and whatever

It sucks getting old.

sharkin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 483
« Reply #1159 on: May 08, 2017, 08:42:34 AM »
Fakie fakie fakie

I've skated regular for so long, im trying to branch out and learning stuff fakie is making switch way less scary

S.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 71
    • Fotos avatar image
« Reply #1160 on: May 22, 2017, 12:29:41 PM »
skating alone in the park and being really into it without thinking about anything. I got so into it that I felt the movement and stuff and I even stopped thinking about which tricks I want to learn and I stopped being afraid of bailing. For me that is the best feeling just completely relaxing in the movement and doing tricks without consciously thinking about them. Like you only think in movement. I hadn't felt that in a long time. It was great!

shit_for_brains

« Reply #1161 on: May 22, 2017, 12:31:24 PM »
Humidity, falling, and losing my temper.

SodaJerk

• SLAP Pal
  • Butterscotch yo!
« Reply #1162 on: May 22, 2017, 01:31:44 PM »
The fact that I actually went skating. Got some tricks and hung out with the boys. New spot too. Ate shit once but it's all good. Haven't skated in over a month.

kook nukem

« Reply #1163 on: June 05, 2017, 10:31:23 AM »
Figured out that I sometimes don't pop my tail hard enough on flip tricks, which either makes them soggy, or I'll miss entirely. I was concentrating more on the flick. Took my new approach to a handful of flips yesterday and was super consistent and poppy. Felt so good!

kook nukem

« Reply #1164 on: June 05, 2017, 10:33:02 AM »
skating alone in the park and being really into it without thinking about anything. I got so into it that I felt the movement and stuff and I even stopped thinking about which tricks I want to learn and I stopped being afraid of bailing. For me that is the best feeling just completely relaxing in the movement and doing tricks without consciously thinking about them. Like you only think in movement. I hadn't felt that in a long time. It was great!
Getting into that flow state is the best. It's an addictive feeling.

Zimmer

• Rep: -9
« Reply #1165 on: June 05, 2017, 08:35:33 PM »
Today I enjoyed just how fucking hard skating is. I don't know if it was the bee sting on the back of my calf, or the coke and lasagne I ate before hand, but I just couldn't do it today! :o My legs were weak, my feet were flying all over the place, my pop was in shambles, just a wreck! Some days you have it, some days you don't.. That's what I enjoy, that skating doesn't present itself on a silver platter like some jolly rancher whore, you've gotta die first.

bad joke

• Rep: 156
« Reply #1166 on: June 05, 2017, 08:37:40 PM »
Today I enjoyed just how fucking hard skating is. I don't know if it was the bee sting on the back of my calf, or the coke and lasagne I ate before hand, but I just couldn't do it today! :o My legs were weak, my feet were flying all over the place, my pop was in shambles, just a wreck! Some days you have it, some days you don't.. That's what I enjoy, that skating doesn't present itself on a silver platter like some jolly rancher whore, you've gotta die first.

stop eating cocaine and your kickflips will improve

MC3

« Reply #1167 on: June 05, 2017, 09:59:25 PM »
knees weak, mom's spaghetti
(Cool Trick GIF)

Esquivel

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 214
« Reply #1168 on: June 06, 2017, 12:56:57 AM »
Local kid I've been skating with the last couple of years is growing older into a really good and humble skater. Gets me super stoked to see the next gen progressing the correct way (if there is such a thing) and yesterday's session was exceptional because of this.
Expand Quote
And people say weed makes you creative
[close]
Good weed does - these broke ass skateboard designers smokin spice

shark tits

« Reply #1169 on: June 14, 2017, 05:17:25 PM »
[last night] managed a bsts to fakie, first time in a yr or 2 on my little yellow curb. i should prolly skate other spots.
today, bombing a hill in traffic and a car left hand turned in front of me. i had to sharp carve in front of a stopped car and around the turning car. didn't spill my coffee and felt excited and deft. i know i'm not but i felt like i was.