Author Topic: Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice  (Read 4141 times)

GOKU

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 113
Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice
« on: March 21, 2019, 05:54:45 PM »
Dope looking fast-paced Samurai game coming from the makers of Dark Souls! PS4 exclusive, unfortunately...

EDIT: JK it's also on Xbox One and PC, thanks camel filters for pointing that one out!

I can't decide if I should buy it yet or not... I haven't even finished my first campaign in the RE2 remake, let alone the 3 others/checking out the non-main game content!

My "backlog" (I don't know why, but I kinda cringe when using video game jargon haha. I especially hate the word "gamer") is too frickin' big. To the degree that it keeps me from getting 100% interested/invested in games. Or maybe it's just depression/anhedonia/getting old!
« Last Edit: March 21, 2019, 09:35:17 PM by GOKU »

puff daddy

• Rep: -13
  • all we do is watch mtv cribs
Re: Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2019, 07:12:38 PM »
looks amazing but ive never played a souls game so idk how they actually play. it got pretty good review saw alotta 9/10's for this. ill probably end up borrowing it from a friend 6 months from now
i feel u on the backlog tho it makes me feel guilty about buying new games when i already have so many i havent finished

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1180
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2019, 07:25:52 PM »
I thought Demons Souls and the first Dark Souls were amazing, but haven’t liked anything from them too much since.  Glad they are trying something new.
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1308
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2019, 08:03:45 PM »
Dope looking fast-paced Samurai game coming from the makers of Dark Souls! PS4 exclusive, unfortunately...

I can't decide if I should buy it yet or not... I haven't even finished my first campaign in the RE2 remake, let alone the 3 others/checking out the non-main game content!

My "backlog" (I don't know why, but I kinda cringe when using video game jargon haha. I especially hate the word "gamer") is too frickin' big. To the degree that it keeps me from getting 100% interested/invested in games. Or maybe it's just depression/anhedonia/getting old!
It's available on all platforms. I literally have it preloaded on my PC right now.

GOKU

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2019, 09:12:13 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
It's available on all platforms. I literally have it preloaded on my PC right now.

Oh dope! I guess I just assumed it was gonna be the same dealio as Bloodborne. I'd probably be more in touch if my laptop could run any frickin' games at all, heh. Can't even run Dark Souls 1 on this thing!

GOKU

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2019, 09:34:24 PM »
Uh ohhh, remembered I have $25 left from an Amazon gift card that I was unsure what to do with... I am gonna sleep on this before I take the plunge, lol

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2019, 06:43:58 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

Oh dope! I guess I just assumed it was gonna be the same dealio as Bloodborne. I'd probably be more in touch if my laptop could run any frickin' games at all, heh. Can't even run Dark Souls 1 on this thing!
no prob! I hate that exclusives keep people from playing great games. Btw they recently remastered dark souls 1 on PS4 if you’re still trying to play it

GOKU

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2019, 07:49:45 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

[close]
no prob! I hate that exclusives keep people from playing great games. Btw they recently remastered dark souls 1 on PS4 if you’re still trying to play it

Oh, I've got it. Also previously owned it on Xbox 360 and PS3, lol. I wanted it on my laptop because someone made a huge ridic expansive mod for the PC version called "Daughters of Ash". It's a total conversion, it's supposed to be like playing the game again for the first time!

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2019, 08:23:26 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]

Oh, I've got it. Also previously owned it on Xbox 360 and PS3, lol. I wanted it on my laptop because someone made a huge ridic expansive mod for the PC version called "Daughters of Ash". It's a total conversion, it's supposed to be like playing the game again for the first time!
Oh cool! I’ll have to check out that mod. Haha yeah I also owned the first dark souls multiple times. It’s a classic.

GOKU

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2019, 09:41:04 AM »
from r/darksouls

Here is a link with everything you should need. The mod is coming out for the remaster eventually, if you have that one on PC as well.

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2019, 10:23:30 AM »
from r/darksouls

Here is a link with everything you should need. The mod is coming out for the remaster eventually, if you have that one on PC as well.
That looks so dope. I have both remastered and prepare to die edition. PTD is pretty buggy without the dsfix mod so I might wait for the remastered version of this to try it out.

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 307
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2019, 12:59:48 PM »
I bought this today. First full priced new game I've bought in over a decade.

Now I have to get the kids off the TV...

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 144
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2019, 01:27:04 PM »
Im copping tonight  :)

Baron Samedi

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 372
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2019, 01:32:10 PM »
i'm playing the original DS1 remastered on Switch right now and love it. I'll probably pick this up since I'm a big fan of swords and samurai and ninja bad guys and all that shit

Willie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2019, 08:34:12 AM »
I played it for a few hours last night. It's taking some getting used to although it wasn't immediately impossible seeming like Bloodborne.

It's a lot like Ninja Gaiden in that you can get really overwhelmed by 2+ grunts. Ninja Gaiden gives you more effective crowd control options though, so in Sekiro it seems like your best option is to take out as many with stealth first.

It can be a bit of a pain seeing the enemies ahead because the graphics don't pop the way they did in Souls. There are also some weird character models and collision defects that look out of place on a big end of system cycle game like this.

The tutorials are a bit jarring and the plot is being given out in a less obtuse way that feels more video game-y than the Souls games. Yes, there is a mystery but you are getting NPCs telling you exactly why it's mysterious.

Overall, it feels more like Tenchu with a bunch of Souls conventions mixed in than vice versa.

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2019, 08:47:29 AM »
I played it for a few hours last night. It's taking some getting used to although it wasn't immediately impossible seeming like Bloodborne.

It's a lot like Ninja Gaiden in that you can get really overwhelmed by 2+ grunts. Ninja Gaiden gives you more effective crowd control options though, so in Sekiro it seems like your best option is to take out as many with stealth first.

It can be a bit of a pain seeing the enemies ahead because the graphics don't pop the way they did in Souls. There are also some weird character models and collision defects that look out of place on a big end of system cycle game like this.

The tutorials are a bit jarring and the plot is being given out in a less obtuse way that feels more video game-y than the Souls games. Yes, there is a mystery but you are getting NPCs telling you exactly why it's mysterious.

Overall, it feels more like Tenchu with a bunch of Souls conventions mixed in than vice versa.
Played for a couple hours and you pretty much nailed it. It seems like From is trying to adapt to an even bigger market but I don’t blame them. You can only run the “this game is harder and more hardcore than the previous” gimmick for so long before it becomes artificial.

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1180
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2019, 11:50:28 AM »
So is it worth getting?
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

Seadramon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 230
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2019, 07:35:03 PM »
Stealth/assasination games are not usually my thing but something about this game is endearing to me.

Maybe the samurai thing? I'm really drawn to those giant boss fights.

Willie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2019, 09:30:06 PM »
So is it worth getting?

I don't know if it was worth $60. I'm thinking I probably could have picked up Nioh from the bargain bin and waited a bit on this one.

Thrillho

• Rep: 133
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2019, 12:10:20 AM »
I can't help feeling like I'm being made fun of by the developers when everytime I sneak around the main path filled with enemies I'm then attacked by a knife swinging baby or a 9 foot tall chicken.

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2019, 12:13:29 AM »
Im a few more hours in and I gotta say, I really miss being able to spec my character how I want and not have to go down a skill tree. Maybe I'm just too entrenched in Souls.

Willie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2019, 08:08:09 PM »
I'm going to update this to say this game is hellishly hard. Like, in a sadomasochistic, not particularly fun way.

I'm probably only about a third of the way through but it's been brutal and I've thought about giving up. Multiple mini bosses are harder than Orphan of Kos/Darkeater Midir.

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2019, 10:10:52 AM »
I'm going to update this to say this game is hellishly hard. Like, in a sadomasochistic, not particularly fun way.

I'm probably only about a third of the way through but it's been brutal and I've thought about giving up. Multiple mini bosses are harder than Orphan of Kos/Darkeater Midir.
I feel you. One thing that has made it a tiny bit easier is to not just wait til the enemy has an opening to strike. Instead, be up in their faces and time your blocks with their attacks. Be sure to jump or dodge the attacks with the warning signs the game gives you. If you do enough timed blocks, their posture bar will fill and you can get a critical hit without even draining their life bar. If you back off, their posture can recover. Wont make this game easy but it will make it managable.

thebunnman

• Rep: -1
« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2019, 01:02:32 PM »

it gets kinda easier the further into u are imo, when u get used to the rhythm of deflecting and attack it gets way more satisfying, definitely helps when u get more health and gourd seeds as u go through too, i was worried at the start that it was gonna be impossible when i got further in but im enjoying it even more now and im pretty sure im near the end
« Last Edit: April 08, 2019, 01:05:07 PM by thebunnman »

GOKU

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2019, 11:38:34 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
it gets kinda easier the further into u are imo, when u get used to the rhythm of deflecting and attack it gets way more satisfying, definitely helps when u get more health and gourd seeds as u go through too, i was worried at the start that it was gonna be impossible when i got further in but im enjoying it even more now and im pretty sure im near the end

I have gotten decently far and have a pretty good feel for things... but I am still addicted to doing the same thing I did in all the Souls games and Bloodborne: rolling/strafing around with the O button and never using shields (Souls) or parrying (Souls + PARTICULARLY Bloodborne and Sekiro).

Love just squirming around like an asshole... and there's several Shinobi Tools I can use to stun mothafuggoz instead of parrying them. Also love dousing humanoid minibosses/bosses with oil and burning their asses. Then scaring beastly/demonic big bads with firecrackers and flame sans oil.

Love this fucking game, and I haven't touched it in like 4 or 5 days. Got the day off tmrw, probably gonna rock it for a couple hours and also potentially stream another skate video night later <3

slippy

• Rep: 87
« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2019, 12:16:06 PM »
Been loving this game, rang the demon bell in the area with the humanoid monks.  Makes the game harder but increases drops.  You can turn it off anytime too to nerf bosses back to normal.  10/10 this game fucks
people who refuse to use apple products can blow my fucking stupid hog

Willie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2019, 05:49:33 PM »
So I beat this a day ago and am still unsure about how I would rate it.

I certainly kept coming back for more but I did think some of the bosses were kind of bullshit. Like bunnman says, shit gets way easier when you have a decent sized life bar and healing gourds that actually do something (and plenty of them).

People say "git gud" but there is also a low of rote memorization of attack patterns which is made more difficult by having bosses with 4 fucking phases.

There's a bunch of stuff you're better off not even bothering with tackling until later like the Headless and there is shit like the Ghost Monk that I'd still be on if I hadn't looked up how to cheese. Completely skipped the big Dark Souls boss by making him glitch. Fuck him.

Going back in NG+ now to get the ending I missed and it's taken 30 minutes to do what took two weeks first time around. When you do get the rhythm it's way easier.

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2019, 05:28:17 PM »
So I beat this a day ago and am still unsure about how I would rate it.

I certainly kept coming back for more but I did think some of the bosses were kind of bullshit. Like bunnman says, shit gets way easier when you have a decent sized life bar and healing gourds that actually do something (and plenty of them).

People say "git gud" but there is also a low of rote memorization of attack patterns which is made more difficult by having bosses with 4 fucking phases.

There's a bunch of stuff you're better off not even bothering with tackling until later like the Headless and there is shit like the Ghost Monk that I'd still be on if I hadn't looked up how to cheese. Completely skipped the big Dark Souls boss by making him glitch. Fuck him.

Going back in NG+ now to get the ending I missed and it's taken 30 minutes to do what took two weeks first time around. When you do get the rhythm it's way easier.
I'm a seasoned souls veteran and have been having a hard time getting in the groove. Havent touched this in a week and I never would have thought this would be the case. Learning boss patterns just hasnt been as fun. I dont even mind long fights (ie Midir in DS3) but when the stupid red symbol blocks your view and you just have to guess what kind of attack is coming and what to counter it with, it's frustrating. I know you have to be in the right mindset for these games. I will definitely revisit when I feel differently.

slippy

• Rep: 87
« Reply #28 on: April 23, 2019, 03:20:52 PM »
For me it's been a lot more enjoyable as I utilize more skills for dealing with bosses.  For example the unblockable marker, if it's hard to tell whether it's going to be a jab to handle with a mikiri counter or a swipe to jump for you can try throwing shurikens to disrupt their attack animation.  Making good use of prosthetics greatly increased my satisfaction with the boss fights.
people who refuse to use apple products can blow my fucking stupid hog

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #29 on: April 27, 2019, 08:35:52 AM »
For me it's been a lot more enjoyable as I utilize more skills for dealing with bosses.  For example the unblockable marker, if it's hard to tell whether it's going to be a jab to handle with a mikiri counter or a swipe to jump for you can try throwing shurikens to disrupt their attack animation.  Making good use of prosthetics greatly increased my satisfaction with the boss fights.
That's a different approach. I need to try more of the skills out. I think I will give the game another go. I'm stuck at the armored guy you fight on the enclosed bridge. I guess you just have to block until his stance bar builds up, which is not my playstyle.