Author Topic: the Hateful Eight  (Read 2987 times)

dhaner

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -92
  • STAN
the Hateful Eight
« on: December 28, 2015, 06:36:02 PM »
8 out of 10 doggy
Stan

fulltechnicalskizzy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1936

Wizard Fight

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -191

Rockin Robbin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
Re: the Hateful Eight
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2015, 08:29:01 PM »
Screenplay was great, but I like it when Tarantino takes a sharp left from his previous film. This one felt too much like Django.

The Revenant, on the other hand...holy FUCK.
"Bake me a pie of love" - Steve Winwood

Ernie McCracken

• Rep: 35
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2015, 10:05:21 AM »
Screenplay was great, but I like it when Tarantino takes a sharp left from his previous film. This one felt too much like Django.

How so? Django was a big sprawling revenge western set in the south. Hateful eight is a claustrophobic mystery drama set inside one room during a blizzard. There really is no moral center like there was in Django.

Other than being a western, the two films are nothing like each other. Tarantino's biggest influences are westerns, so it was a given he was going to hateful eight and has already said he will do another so he can have 3 in his filmography and be considered a "western" director.

As for the movie itself, i recommend going to the theater to see the roadshow version in 70mm. The overture, intermission, and program make it seem like a nice little event.

Rockin Robbin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2015, 11:28:28 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

How so? Django was a big sprawling revenge western set in the south. Hateful eight is a claustrophobic mystery drama set inside one room during a blizzard. There really is no moral center like there was in Django.

Other than being a western, the two films are nothing like each other. Tarantino's biggest influences are westerns, so it was a given he was going to hateful eight and has already said he will do another so he can have 3 in his filmography and be considered a "western" director.

As for the movie itself, i recommend going to the theater to see the roadshow version in 70mm. The overture, intermission, and program make it seem like a nice little event.

You're not taking into account that most people are dumbasses who take things at surface level. Western, snow, Sam Jackson, Tim Roth doing his best Christoph Waltz, guns, racism, America. That's enough in common for people to compare the two.

I'm supremely jealous that you went to the roadshow version.
"Bake me a pie of love" - Steve Winwood

foureyedjim

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2015, 02:17:40 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

You're not taking into account that most people are dumbasses who take things at surface level. Western, snow, Sam Jackson, Tim Roth doing his best Christoph Waltz, guns, racism, America. That's enough in common for people to compare the two.

I'm supremely jealous that you went to the roadshow version.

These days I will rarely consider paying 10+ dollars to go see a movie in theaters.  Even for a whopping 15, the roadshow experience was fucking worth it.  Hearing Ennio Morricone in theaters is not going to happen again...

The dialogue was fun and it kept me interested through the whole 3 hours.

Tay

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2015, 05:21:17 AM »
Christ, this movie was brutal. Jennifer Leigh and Tim Roth were great.

360 frip

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -65504
  • -65 G 4 RYFE
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2015, 07:01:34 AM »
Enjoyed that. Pretty slapstick but the tension was really great.
"I DON'T WANT TO BELONG TO ANY CLUB THAT WILL ACCEPT PEOPLE LIKE ME AS A MEMBER." Groucho

"Sorry 360 frip, you are banned from using this forum!" HATE

scorpion1001

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 40
  • All Hail Carroll
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2015, 06:49:07 PM »
WALTON FUCKIN GOGGINS

get gnarly

• Rep: 9
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2015, 07:08:47 PM »
I died at Samuel L. Jackson saying dingus. Great experience with the overture and intermission!!!

360 frip

• SLAP Pal
  • -65 G 4 RYFE
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2015, 08:15:36 PM »
I died at Samuel L. Jackson saying dingus. Great experience with the overture and intermission!!!

Yeah, that scene was great. Samuel Jackson was really good in this. Quite impressive to make a film that exciting, set mainly in just one room. The Sheriff guy was funny too, played his character well.
"I DON'T WANT TO BELONG TO ANY CLUB THAT WILL ACCEPT PEOPLE LIKE ME AS A MEMBER." Groucho

Manolo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 467
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2015, 09:21:53 AM »
WALTON FUCKIN GOGGINS

WELL CUT MY LEGS OFF AND CALL ME SHORTY

Monty Burns

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -325
  • Release the hounds
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2015, 09:43:57 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Yeah, that scene was great. Samuel Jackson was really good in this. Quite impressive to make a film that exciting, set mainly in just one room. The Sheriff guy was funny too, played his character well.

This is kinda a response to what 360 Frip said about star wars , saying it was a rehash of ep 4 . Nothing is new under the sun .

Hatefull Eight is in some ways a rehash of Reservoir dogs .  , movie set in mostly one room , People who dont know or trust eachother , rough people working together ,  , sharp dialog . There is a traitor in in group , lots of violence , Argument about money / bounty . All of them dying , And some other stuff

Its Basically a murder mystery

Agatha Christie  made several books like this . "And Then There Were None"  " Murder on the Orient Express" . And a few others , these have also been made into movies , and so on . Plenty of movies from other directors and writers just like this

Anyways I super enjoyed The hatefull eight , Maybe not my fav of his movies but yeah it was a really good watch

360 frip

• SLAP Pal
  • -65 G 4 RYFE
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2015, 10:05:52 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

This is kinda a response to what 360 Frip said about star wars , saying it was a rehash of ep 4 . Nothing is new under the sun .

Hatefull Eight is in some ways a rehash of Reservoir dogs .  , movie set in mostly one room , People who dont know or trust eachother , rough people working together ,  , sharp dialog . There is a traitor in in group , lots of violence , Argument about money / bounty . All of them dying , And some other stuff

Its Basically a murder mystery

Agatha Christie  made several books like this . "And Then There Were None"  " Murder on the Orient Express" . And a few others , these have also been made into movies , and so on . Plenty of movies from other directors and writers just like this

Anyways I super enjoyed The hatefull eight , Maybe not my fav of his movies but yeah it was a really good watch

Monty, I wanted to love Star Wars, but it really wasn't that good.

Tarantino is patchy at best for me, but I enjoyed this.

A third Death Star (or is it technically a 2nd?) and you're calling this a rehash?

i wouldn't even say this was a great movie, but it shit on the new Star Wars .

French manicure

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 268
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2015, 10:25:30 AM »
Tarantino has been hit or miss lately for me; I wasn't the biggest fan of Django, but, I really enjoyed this.  Anytime I get to watch Jennifer Jason Leigh is a treat and this was no exception I thought she was great playing a not-so-ladylike outlaw.  I was bummed that Michael Madsen didn't get more screen time the dude is getting older and still oozes the cool factor (well at least for me anyways).

"Ole Mary Todd's callin', so I guess it must be time for bed..."

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 158
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2016, 10:04:49 AM »
WALTON FUCKIN GOGGINS
I still can't forgive him for killing Lem.

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2016, 03:38:11 PM »
Saw the Roadshow version, which I'm glad I did but pretty much hated the movie.

I actually liked the long, slow burn first half, but thought the explanation and resolution was dumb and stupidly nasty. I also know that people want "Tarantino dialogue" but where it got heavy handed and 21st century I started to wish he had just made a Leone western or a straight up exploitation movie (which I'm sure would never happen).

I liked Django a lot more, warts and all because at it had narrative momentum and you weren't trapped in the unenjoyable parts for an eternity.

I did like some of the running gags and the cinematography (which Tarantino has been on point with for the last 3 movies) and score were fucking tits.

Edit: One of my friends called it "The Thing meets Clue" which is oddly fitting.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2016, 07:39:47 PM by Willie »

iwishilivedinfinla

« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2016, 04:34:35 AM »
didn't hate it, didn't love it.  i LOVED the ride to the cabin.  when they got there, everything slowed down so such a slow pace i found myself on the cusp of getting bored... i never actually did but damn, i got close. 

great idea, great characters... just wasn't feeling the pacing.  but hardly a bad movie, just felt a bit insulting for three hours to pass and so little happening (but i know... that's the idea.)  also was bummed she ended up being the double crosser they made her out to be the entire movie... seemed very anti climactic.

dhaner

• Rep: -92
  • STAN
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2016, 09:20:01 AM »
didn't hate it, didn't love it.�  i LOVED the ride to the cabin.�  when they got there, everything slowed down so such a slow pace i found myself on the cusp of getting bored... i never actually did but damn, i got close.�  

great idea, great characters... just wasn't feeling the pacing.�  but hardly a bad movie, just felt a bit insulting for three hours to pass and so little happening (but i know... that's the idea.)�  also was bummed she ended up being the double crosser they made her out to be the entire movie... seemed very anti climactic.

I feel u .. that  it gets slow in some parts but its still good...
 Â but reservoir dogs back in 92 is so slow and stupid I've never watched reservoir dogs all the WAy thru ever to this day it sucks balls..
 Â hate reservoir dogs .. enjoyed hateful eight ..
Stan

Glue Reed

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 159
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2016, 07:48:09 PM »
didn't hate it, didn't love it.  i LOVED the ride to the cabin.  when they got there, everything slowed down so such a slow pace i found myself on the cusp of getting bored... i never actually did but damn, i got close.  

great idea, great characters... just wasn't feeling the pacing.  but hardly a bad movie, just felt a bit insulting for three hours to pass and so little happening (but i know... that's the idea.)  also was bummed she ended up being the double crosser they made her out to be the entire movie... seemed very anti climactic.

although I really enjoyed it, I agree with pretty much everything here.  I really enjoyed the slow-burn dialogue of the first half, and the first part of the second half got really good, then it kinda petered out.  anti-climactic is a good way to put it.  i sat on the edge of my seat waiting for the "holy shit" moment and it never really came.

also, i can't stand when he does that "clever quentin" shit, like put modern music in a period piece or random narration when it's not necessary.  if he could just tell a straight movie without trying to outsmart people it would've been better, a la Jackie Brown.

still, great score (obviously), great cinematography (especially the beginning) and great dialogue/acting.  definitely made me want to dig out some spaghetti westerns and start marathoning.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2016, 08:54:02 PM by bea! »

iwishilivedinfinla

« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2016, 03:13:17 AM »
modern music in a period piece

drives me fucking crazy too...