Author Topic: Austyn Gillette On his new shoe  (Read 7005 times)

veritas

Re: Austyn Gillette On his new shoe
« Reply #30 on: February 21, 2023, 03:34:03 AM »
Expand Quote
Materials
Every detail of the Gillette is considered, making it a highly functional skate shoe.
[close]

I know they're trying to justify pricing a stupid vulc at $120 but this "selling point" is hilarious.

Would be more impressive if there were a ton of details that nobody ever considered

SFblah

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 668
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #31 on: February 21, 2023, 05:06:02 AM »
I wish he woulda copied the Berle Pro.

shannamal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 353
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #32 on: February 21, 2023, 06:25:17 AM »
Expand Quote
every kid in costa mesa will be skating these the week they drop
[close]

I thought only female hairdressers between 25-35 lived in Costa Mesa.   

That’s my impression of it despite living not that far from it for 20 years

that's why when i was deep in my hoe phase, i thrived in costa mesa

i don’t think any of you are real, i think slap was invented by my mom to make me think people want to talk to me

dropintopileout

• Rep: -39
« Reply #33 on: February 21, 2023, 11:20:36 AM »
I honestly like the shoe I think it's a breath of fresh air, and when the rubber the wraps around matches the most upper materials like on the white ones they look pretty smooth, far less of a contrasting eye sore like the black ones. 

But come on $120? It's fascinating to me how a decision like this gets made. From my point of view globe kind of fell into obscurity by 2010. To be honest until I googled it to check i thought they might have went out of business. Didn't they sell long boards for a while?

So like who the fuck is going to be shoe shopping and stumble upon this shoe from a brand that has really no street/ fashion cred(from where i'm sitting please correct me if im wrong) and just be like yup this is worth 120 dollars? Most skates wont pay that, so is it for fashionista types? I dont know, seems like a really shitty idea to me. The top nike models, nyjah, ishod dont even run that. So why Austin Gillette thinks that his pro shoe on a brand that is far less recognizable than nike is worth 120 is beyond me.

Cool take on a shoe though.

versacekid420

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1261
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #34 on: February 21, 2023, 11:29:51 AM »
I honestly like the shoe I think it's a breath of fresh air, and when the rubber the wraps around matches the most upper materials like on the white ones they look pretty smooth, far less of a contrasting eye sore like the black ones. 

But come on $120? It's fascinating to me how a decision like this gets made. From my point of view globe kind of fell into obscurity by 2010. To be honest until I googled it to check i thought they might have went out of business. Didn't they sell long boards for a while?

So like who the fuck is going to be shoe shopping and stumble upon this shoe from a brand that has really no street/ fashion cred(from where i'm sitting please correct me if im wrong) and just be like yup this is worth 120 dollars? Most skates wont pay that, so is it for fashionista types? I dont know, seems like a really shitty idea to me. The top nike models, nyjah, ishod dont even run that. So why Austin Gillette thinks that his pro shoe on a brand that is far less recognizable than nike is worth 120 is beyond me.

Cool take on a shoe though.
im sure it was probably globe that set the price not him. As long as he gets paid I’m sure he doesn’t care

big_kev_215

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 746
« Reply #35 on: February 21, 2023, 11:35:10 AM »
Considering I’ve never seen someone wearing the rather inoffensive looking Glove Gillette Dover in real life, I can’t imagine how little I’m going to see these in real life

pbj

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 28
« Reply #36 on: February 21, 2023, 11:42:35 AM »
love a good rubber toe capped shoe. actually a little disappointed that trend has died down since it peaked last decade.
the grip/flick is unbeatable, with leather probably in second.

that said, the silhouette of the toe/sole is a little odd for me.
i'd be interested to see some monochromatic colorways, think i'd be a bigger fan of an all white/black shoe.

hadouken

• Rep: 54
« Reply #37 on: February 21, 2023, 04:40:34 PM »
Something strange is going on with the pricing I think, because they're AUD $129.

I understand Globe is an Australian company, but there's no way such a price disparity makes sense. The exchange rate should have them around US $80.

If they were US $120, that would put them up around AUD $180.

I could be wrong, but it seems like something might be lost in translation. Either that or I should become a reseller for these sure to be popular shoes.

&& lives to fuck the tits off new mums

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 860
« Reply #38 on: February 21, 2023, 07:01:05 PM »
Something strange is going on with the pricing I think, because they're AUD $129.

I understand Globe is an Australian company, but there's no way such a price disparity makes sense. The exchange rate should have them around US $80.

If they were US $120, that would put them up around AUD $180.

I could be wrong, but it seems like something might be lost in translation. Either that or I should become a reseller for these sure to be popular shoes.
I don't think there's ever been a consistent comparison between Aus and American pricing. Janoskis cost twice as much as vans old skools for the first few years they were out. DC Mike mo vs SB Koston was a massive difference too where in America they were about the same. Sometimes we just get shit cheaper down here (altho often way more expensive).
Funny if all the fuss over price was people were looking at the aud price

shitdick22

• Rep: 1
« Reply #39 on: February 21, 2023, 08:32:08 PM »
Haha yo fuck this dude

smellymoron69

• Rep: -16
« Reply #40 on: February 21, 2023, 08:53:23 PM »
Seeing the materials and knowing the reputation of Globe, I figured they were specifically trying to design a cheaper shoe. Really surprised by the price.

Also shoes seem to be trending back to bulkier now (Dunks/Forums, new Tiagos, etc). The low-profile design matches Austyn's style but seems stuck in the past a bit.

Pete

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 688
  • Free Max B
« Reply #41 on: February 22, 2023, 08:58:25 AM »
lol what the fuck is this man

Free max b
FREE MAX B

brucewillis

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 35
  • Die Hard. www.casualskateshop.com.br
« Reply #42 on: February 22, 2023, 10:10:45 AM »
Expand Quote
Going through 1000s of shoes over 22 years of skating would mean he was skating through, at the lowest end, 92 pairs of shoes a year, or 6+ a month. Wut?
[close]

i knew a vans am skater who claimed a pair of vans would last him 3 days before switching them out

hes unbelievably good & a good friend of bobby dekeyzer, so i believe him
So... Evan Hay?

YMCMB

• Rep: 49
« Reply #43 on: February 22, 2023, 10:51:59 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Going through 1000s of shoes over 22 years of skating would mean he was skating through, at the lowest end, 92 pairs of shoes a year, or 6+ a month. Wut?
[close]

i knew a vans am skater who claimed a pair of vans would last him 3 days before switching them out

[close]
So... Evan Hay?
I imagine he was wearing canvas shoes if its 3 days?

Style Police

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 792
« Reply #44 on: February 22, 2023, 11:51:58 AM »
I like the white ones. Would buy when they go on sale.

Watson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2271
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #45 on: February 22, 2023, 12:18:58 PM »

DCLOVE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -492
« Reply #46 on: February 22, 2023, 02:14:45 PM »
Just looked at a pair online and they’re already $20 off on sites.
PINE 2009, 2010, 2011, 2020, PINE STILL MAKIN' MONEY.

yghartsyrt

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 232
« Reply #47 on: February 22, 2023, 02:33:47 PM »
holy fuck, is this thing ugly.

Mr. Kamikazi

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -115
  • 1,2,3,4, tell the people what she wore...
« Reply #48 on: February 22, 2023, 02:50:32 PM »
I wish he woulda copied the Berle Pro.

If he could have, he would have.

Ed boy

• Rep: 80
« Reply #49 on: February 22, 2023, 04:40:53 PM »
I back it

Pretty different from everything out there

Current Capeless

« Reply #50 on: February 23, 2023, 12:02:01 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
So... Evan Hay?
[close]

they would be fine for every average skater, probably because they get floppy and for looks, i get it honestly, would do the same if i could

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1115
« Reply #51 on: February 23, 2023, 06:32:01 AM »
Never been my guy, not a fan.
I dunno if I’ll ever buy the shoes, I tend to get my stuff from shops, and I don’t see the ones near me stocking these. Buuuuuut, I like some of what they have going on. I like the Chet IV stuff (had em back when)…yeah, weird for me that globe has some interesting looking shoes.
There is for sure an air of…I mean some of this looks pretty ‘LA’ (I don’t know what I’m trying to convey here, maybe just slightly older ex-hipster…I’ve seen enough blundstones headed from the coding office, towards a weekend at the brewery, but I’ve never even been to LA so I’m an idiot). Some of the shoes might be enjoyed by gf’s which is borderline a violation. If you are not bumming your significant other with your skate shoes, just switch gears and put on some Clark’s.

Bet they skate decent.

Coping Grinder

• Rep: 16
« Reply #52 on: February 23, 2023, 07:02:15 AM »
Finally, someone has boldly asked the question:

"What if we made a skate shoe, where the entire shoe is the rubber sole?"

At least they're built to last.

doublesteveburger

« Reply #53 on: February 23, 2023, 07:23:28 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
So... Evan Hay?
[close]
[close]

they would be fine for every average skater, probably because they get floppy and for looks, i get it honestly, would do the same if i could

I can blow out a pair of vans pros in about two weeks if I'm skating every single day so this isn't baffling in the slightest. I'm not pro or am and don't have the luxury of skating all day everyday so an am could easily do this pair a week type thing easily.

TreyPhillip

« Reply #54 on: February 23, 2023, 03:22:30 PM »
Got a pair in hand (for free) and I have to say they are pretty nice. I doubt I woulda spent $120 or whatever the Canadian price would be but ima definitely skate em and see how they do.
The waxed canvas looks like it’ll hold up nice and the rubber has way more of a leather-y feel to it than expected. I can move my big toe and clearly see where it is for example. My only gripe is that they used the same outsole that’s on every other globe vulc, I really think a new mold woulda gone a long way, but at least they switched out the insole for something new and more substantial

YMCMB

• Rep: 49
« Reply #55 on: February 23, 2023, 04:35:49 PM »
Got a pair in hand (for free) and I have to say they are pretty nice. I doubt I woulda spent $120 or whatever the Canadian price would be but ima definitely skate em and see how they do.
The waxed canvas looks like it’ll hold up nice and the rubber has way more of a leather-y feel to it than expected. I can move my big toe and clearly see where it is for example. My only gripe is that they used the same outsole that’s on every other globe vulc, I really think a new mold woulda gone a long way, but at least they switched out the insole for something new and more substantial

Agreed on the outsole, whats the insole like if its different?

TreyPhillip

« Reply #56 on: February 23, 2023, 05:18:07 PM »
eliminate duplicates online
I doubt this pic helps much, but I wanna say it’s cushier and more dense without being too springy and sacrificing board feel.
A weird note, but outta the box they smelled exactly like a pair of strayes, (and I don’t usually remark on the smell of shoes) this leads me to believe maybeee the insoles are from the same factory. I don’t have any strayes on hand to compare tho.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1017
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #57 on: February 23, 2023, 07:26:24 PM »
How the mighty have fallen.

Watson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2271
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #58 on: February 24, 2023, 08:21:08 AM »
I doubt I woulda spent $120 or whatever the Canadian price would be

They're $120 US. They cost more than Tiagos so they would be $150 to $160 in Canada which is completely psychotic for that shoe.

Steely Daniel

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 463
« Reply #59 on: February 24, 2023, 09:37:26 AM »
Expand Quote
I doubt I woulda spent $120 or whatever the Canadian price would be
[close]

They're $120 US. They cost more than Tiagos so they would be $150 to $160 in Canada which is completely psychotic for that shoe.

The pricing on the site is fucked. They are $129.99 AUD which is about $87 US but the American store on the site has them listed at $120. If the shipping wasn't fucked it would be a better deal to buy them in dingo dollars. They'll probably end up being like $90 US $120 CAD otherwise I can't see them selling too many.