Author Topic: Bunker Down AWS Video  (Read 17613 times)

snowman600

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 734
Re: Bunker Down AWS Video
« Reply #90 on: October 30, 2015, 03:33:57 PM »
I really like what Nicholas Andrew Sadler was doing with the old Alien stuff like tourohio, cinematog. proj, life splicing, and the kotr edit. i feel like he probably had to tone down all the jarring neurotic sounds for this edit to give it a more positive, rejuvenated vibe. the Container tracks were a terrible idea. the artsy editing was too watered-down. Joey G killed it but no matter how hard they spin it, he'll always scream Habitat.

Oprah Winfrey

« Reply #91 on: October 30, 2015, 04:34:30 PM »
Brandon Nguyen should be on Foundation.

OldmanEpic

« Reply #92 on: October 30, 2015, 04:56:23 PM »
Wasnt feeling this video

Seems like the new crew is really good but maybe that was rushed?

I wanna like it, I just couldnt

BUT, that 50 50 nosewheelie was fucked

mini pebble

• Rep: -43
« Reply #93 on: October 30, 2015, 06:22:11 PM »
That was one hell of a Honda Element commercial

The skating and spots were dope, good filiming, editing OK, but the music was questionable. A fucking Dino song is a no brainer if they wanted continuity. That buzz saw effect killed my vibe.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2015, 06:34:48 PM by mini pebble »

lk130

• Topic and Post Probation
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -829
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #94 on: October 30, 2015, 08:00:54 PM »
Epic video, leveled me out and was higher than my expectations. Praise the thread
I need Cariuma -Me

yungxmulaxbaby

Aatila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -305
« Reply #95 on: October 30, 2015, 08:37:00 PM »
That was a solid promo.  To anyone bitching about the "old Alien feel".  Which one are you referring to?  The first go round with Pitre, Dyrdek, Blender, Turner, and Conklin?  The second one with "laser flip" Hayes , Kalis, Gall, and John Drake? The third with Dill, AVE, Berra and Kirchart?  The fourth where Dylan, Taylor, Salazaar, and Piscopo were on?  The teams been "revamped" for lack of a better term so many times over the course of 20+ years, there's always been a different feel.  Yeah Dyrdek dropped the ball, however, after watching that seems like they're headed in the right direction.  

finally someone fucking gets it!!! thank you +1 aliens been changing since the shit came out. Let these guys get their chapter

whoami

• Rep: -43
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #96 on: October 30, 2015, 09:08:16 PM »
Expand Quote
That was a solid promo.  To anyone bitching about the "old Alien feel".  Which one are you referring to?  The first go round with Pitre, Dyrdek, Blender, Turner, and Conklin?  The second one with "laser flip" Hayes , Kalis, Gall, and John Drake? The third with Dill, AVE, Berra and Kirchart?  The fourth where Dylan, Taylor, Salazaar, and Piscopo were on?  The teams been "revamped" for lack of a better term so many times over the course of 20+ years, there's always been a different feel.  Yeah Dyrdek dropped the ball, however, after watching that seems like they're headed in the right direction.  
[close]

finally someone fucking gets it!!! thank you +1 aliens been changing since the shit came out. Let these guys get their chapter

Thank you, I've been feeling the same shit. Alien has been around so long, it's not like the Dill and AVE era was the only one. I actually liked the video and it's good to see that they're still moving forward.

lk130

• Topic and Post Probation
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -829
« Reply #97 on: October 30, 2015, 09:40:14 PM »
It's really cool to see the visuals on it along with the sound its like the way skating should be shown potentially. .phenomenal really
I need Cariuma -Me

yungxmulaxbaby

Level 60 Dwarf Paladin

« Reply #98 on: October 30, 2015, 10:49:04 PM »
Expand Quote
I got to the flag raising and thought, "fuck this..."
[close]

So you watched the intro of a skate video and never got the actual skating? Cool.

I don't think Alien will turn any of these guys pro (although I could think of a couple of the guys that definitely deserve it) because they probably want to stay on the am route for a while, but the skating is awesome. So what about the editing. I think I care more about the new alien than Quasi.

shit_for_brains

« Reply #99 on: October 30, 2015, 11:27:16 PM »
I bought an AWS board today. Up yours.

witty pseudonym

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 42
« Reply #100 on: October 31, 2015, 06:19:28 AM »
That was great.  I really like watching lesser-known ams skate.  Seriously, there is nothing to complain about in that FREE 15 MINUTE SKATEBOARD PROMO THAT I WAS NOT FORCED TO WATCH.     

Bronson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 80
« Reply #101 on: October 31, 2015, 07:07:48 AM »
Still slightly undecided...Joey Guevara had a good part and the his song fit pretty well, kind of a timecode/early stereo vibe for some reason.

I feel the video could have used more clips to give little inside on the riders persona. I myself am not really familiar with these new dudes and one thing I always liked about the past line-ups AWS had were the seemingly interesting personalities and how they were portrayed, going all the way back to memory screen.

the snake

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 350
« Reply #102 on: October 31, 2015, 07:16:33 AM »
amazing clones, can't tell who had the best part

Candlespliff

• Rep: -4
« Reply #103 on: October 31, 2015, 09:12:55 AM »
Max Garcon is da bomb
reynolds eats fruit

dougDfresh

• Rep: -25
  • "...we are the dreamers of the dream."
« Reply #104 on: October 31, 2015, 10:33:28 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

......this

and needed more Paul Liliani...................................

A.J.K.

« Reply #105 on: October 31, 2015, 03:22:26 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

......this

Nobody is lamenting a change...You know when a band puts out a bunch of records that sound different, yet they all still sound like the band that put them out? This iteration of Alien is completely lacking that special, hard to identify quality. It's bland and offers nothing new in terms of filming, music, editing/art, or honestly even skating.

It's not the change everyone seems bummed on, it's the lack of ingenuity and quality control that sucks.

foureyedjim

« Reply #106 on: October 31, 2015, 04:29:00 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

......this

[close]

Nobody is lamenting a change...You know when a band puts out a bunch of records that sound different, yet they all still sound like the band that put them out? This iteration of Alien is completely lacking that special, hard to identify quality. It's bland and offers nothing new in terms of filming, music, editing/art, or honestly even skating.

It's not the change everyone seems bummed on, it's the lack of ingenuity and quality control that sucks.

The skating was just fine, the only reason everything is being blown out of proportion is because this is an alien video and the expectations that come with it.  Yeah, it didn't blow everyone's mind with its ingenuity, so it just sucks, no middle ground, right?
I'm also curious as to what you consider "new."  A New York video with everyone doing at least one wallie?  Arizona ditch skating?

360 frip

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -65504
  • -65 G 4 RYFE
« Reply #107 on: October 31, 2015, 08:18:20 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

......this

[close]

[close]

The skating was just fine, the only reason everything is being blown out of proportion is because this is an alien video and the expectations that come with it.  Yeah, it didn't blow everyone's mind with its ingenuity, so it just sucks, no middle ground, right?
I'm also curious as to what you consider "new."  A New York video with everyone doing at least one wallie?  Arizona ditch skating?

That's the problem though, think about all of the previous Alien/Habitat stuff. It has all been amazing. If you want something middle of the road, I suppose it's fine.

The art direction is also pretty average and feels like it is just an attempt to rehash the old alien aesthetic.

I think the next quasi flick will give you more of an idea of what alien should be.
"I DON'T WANT TO BELONG TO ANY CLUB THAT WILL ACCEPT PEOPLE LIKE ME AS A MEMBER." Groucho

"Sorry 360 frip, you are banned from using this forum!" HATE

Level 60 Dwarf Paladin

« Reply #108 on: October 31, 2015, 10:53:49 PM »
The problem is Alien died. We mourned, some more than others. They dumped their pros to reform a year later with a bunch of ams? That's the same shit 'es pulled...

I feel the same way about the new Alien as I do about bands that break up and then reform years later with the same lead singer and a bunch of different people. It's never the same, always kind of half assed and corny. Not taking anything from the riders, those guys are great, but I wish they had landed elsewhere.

foureyedjim

« Reply #109 on: November 01, 2015, 12:33:28 AM »
from my understanding alien never kicked anyone off. they just shut down completely and contemplated being done with it for good leaving the riders in limbo. this caused most of them to move on where they did and then when alien did decide to give it another go they went ahead and brought in some previous flow dudes to get it going because the old team had moved on. i think some of the old dudes were pissed about being left in the dark (cough gilbert cough chad) but oh well. alien was around long before they were around so alien continuing on without them doesn't matter to me. workshop is mike hill, not dill, ave, or chad.

Like I said, I didn't think the video was perfect, but I imagine some important people involved in the art direction left AWS along with their pros, so I wasn't disappointed by it like some others who may have had some unrealistic expectations. 

Either way, it seems there are plenty people out there stoked on the video so whatever.

Yu Dum

« Reply #110 on: November 01, 2015, 08:10:41 AM »
I enjoyed the skating, but I agree that the music and editing were pretty dull.
Going into this and expecting another instant classic is pretty naive. Hopefully they'll see the criticism and make changes where they're needed. Curious about what their next project will look like.

WantSomeSlaw

• Rep: -26
  • bohica
« Reply #111 on: November 01, 2015, 04:16:33 PM »
I did not expect to enjoy it as much as I did. Totally backing new AW
Shit could be worse

Jake From State Farm

« Reply #112 on: November 01, 2015, 05:55:11 PM »
worse than I expected

Stoeipoes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 53
« Reply #113 on: November 02, 2015, 03:59:49 AM »
I like Joey Guevara a lot
Bitches call me pussy, the horse filler.

felix.

• Rep: -34
« Reply #114 on: November 02, 2015, 04:37:46 AM »
WACK. I couldn't tell anyone apart, music was terrible, nothing memorable tricks wise and the editing was shit.

alien should of stayed dead.

Level 60 Dwarf Paladin

abudabi

« Reply #116 on: November 02, 2015, 03:23:58 PM »
"Maybe someone should hit up Quartersnacks to reedit this because they turned the shit show of “Mindfield” into something worth watching."
/opinion forever invalidated.

hufs calve muscles

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 47
« Reply #117 on: November 02, 2015, 03:33:32 PM »
Expand Quote
joey guevara had the best footage in this
[close]

Came here just to say this.

Dude is amazingly good.

Apart from that if it wasn't alien 2.0 and something else I would have liked it a bit better.

Just feels weird.

shit_for_brains

« Reply #118 on: November 02, 2015, 03:45:30 PM »
Is jenkem poaching ride channel writers?

Hash Slinging Slasher

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 93
« Reply #119 on: November 02, 2015, 06:46:19 PM »
"Maybe someone should hit up Quartersnacks to reedit this because they turned the shit show of �Mindfield� into something worth watching."
/opinion forever invalidated.

jenkem just kooked themselves into oblivion. mindfield is one of the greatest videos ever.