Author Topic: Weekend Buzz: Geoff Rowley and Chase Gabor  (Read 80995 times)

FrankAdams

Re: Weekend Buzz: Geoff Rowley and Chase Gabor
« Reply #180 on: August 21, 2013, 02:16:46 PM »
brink's initial response to people's reaction to the story and subsequent absence in this thread once shit got real (i'll say Mr. Oyola's input marks that point) suggests to me that he didn't think it was that big of a deal... i hope he's been drafting an apology or a disclaimer or SOMETHING. something needs to be drafted.

I'd hope so, but I doubt it. Brink comes off as someone who is owned now. I know that I've been passing out feelers around the web to see if anyone wanted to pursue the story further, because it's clear that Weekend Buzz isn't a haven of journalistic integrity. I mean seriously, they have Yary on the show. I did feel for Geoff though because he's a righteous cat.

the "lets derail this into talking about fucked up stuff that YOU did as a kid" reads like a berra damage control strategy. i can just see it in a manifesto on quelling insurgencies: "Alleviate stigma by normalizing behavior, show that it is common place and draw attention away from the original perp"

i noticed that Chase Gabor had an instagram post that said "Wanna see how many times I can blush in under 20 minutes?!?! Go check out the weekend buzz with.." which has now been deleted: lol @ "blushing" over screwdriver sodomy

the fact that this man is surrounded by very young children with no supervision is obvious, but should at least be stated. i personally dont think he would do something like that again in this day and age but they DO say people like that dont just stop...

Couldn't have said it better myself. It's genuinely frightening that Koston and Hawk would have a hand in something like this. Not too shocked about Berra though.

dillanharp

« Reply #181 on: August 21, 2013, 02:18:17 PM »
American Me was a very influential movie in the early 90's.

Thrillho

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 133
« Reply #182 on: August 21, 2013, 03:09:07 PM »

SEAN PABLO

• Rep: -78
« Reply #183 on: August 21, 2013, 05:11:24 PM »
stupid sodimizer

biggietoms

• Rep: 8
  • take acid
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #184 on: August 21, 2013, 05:18:40 PM »
Why the fuck was geoff even on there with this dude? Even before chase's law and order SVU story I was thinking this. Couldn't they have gotten somebody remotely as awesome as rowley to be a guest!!??

FrankAdams

« Reply #185 on: August 21, 2013, 08:59:41 PM »
Why the fuck was geoff even on there with this dude? Even before chase's law and order SVU story I was thinking this. Couldn't they have gotten somebody remotely as awesome as rowley to be a guest!!??

Because they were filming for his Battle Commander (such an insipid name) and y'all know the Berrics is how skateboarders define skateboarding. Berra's gonna unite us all.

the canadian suit

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 145
  • Always lurking.
« Reply #186 on: August 21, 2013, 11:41:57 PM »
BUT WHAT DOES STEEZUS CHRIST THINK ABOUT THIS.
p-shuvs and v-flips

Charles Smith

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -26
« Reply #187 on: August 21, 2013, 11:48:24 PM »
BUT WHAT DOES STEEZUS CHRIST THINK ABOUT THIS.

i thought it was steezus crust... is that a different dude? wait, no. i don't care.

« Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 11:50:50 PM by Charles Smith »

Beer Keg Peg Leg

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -35
« Reply #188 on: August 22, 2013, 12:04:03 AM »
Expand Quote
On a sidenote, it seems that Brink doesn't work for Emerica anymore, not really my business but I was wondering if Emerica was firing people to save money or if it was for other reasons...
[close]

I quit Sole Tech a few weeks ago. Time to move on.

As for the rest of this thread and people addressing me ... I don't know what I am supposed to say. I thought perhaps the words "shocking" and "do not condone" in my original post would make it pretty clear that the story is insane.

But that said, what am I supposed to do? I don't know the whole story, it happened ages ago, I am not the authorities. I still adhere to my original statement that kids do FUCKED UP shit. I've heard so many fucked up stories in my life and know people who have done crazy shit or had crazy shit happen to them that I dunno ... I guess sometimes maybe I am numb to it. But I dunno. Maybe I should say one more time that what happened with the screwdriver is totally fucked!

It sucks that this had to happen to someone. I've been bullied and had lame shit done to me. Nothing that crazy but it sucked nonetheless.

My intention was never to come off "flippant," but when you are doing an interview and you have a show to produce, you have to keep going, and you can't make your guests feel like they should shut up ... you have to roll with it, keep them comfortable and keep them talking.

Was I supposed to get up and punch Chase? Am I supposed to call the police? I mean, what are you guys doing about it? I am as empowered or powerless as you all.

To address being "owned" and not doing "real journalism" and "silent PR" and all that stuff ...

Well, there's a time and a place to "keep it real" and a time and a place to do your job and look out for yourself and not do or say shit that is gonna jeopardize anything you are doing. I've burned a lot of bridges by "keeping it real" over the years and it's not fun. Hopefully you all know the difference ... if you are a waiter and a customer is being an asshole, you suck it up and do your job. You don't go off on them so they never come back and get yourself fired ... to have a career in skateboarding, you have to play along somewhat. And EVERYONE plays along. If that's being "owned" then I guess I'm guilty. And me telling you that is me keeping it real. I know a lot of people who tell you to their face how "core" they are and shit, but really they are just yes men company boys. And they are everywhere.

As for real journalism ... no such thing really exists in skateboarding. But you could always check out my entire portfolio from the last 14 years on my website and decide if what I do in skateboarding and beyond is "real journalism" or not. But that seems to be something that's all opinion-based anyway. The fact that this came out on my show might actually be considered "real journalism." Something relatively gnarly was uncovered. You know?

As for me being silent and PR-ing myself ... If I was worried about PR for myself, I clearly wouldn't have taken an unpopular stance in this thread. If I was "owned" I would just agree with everyone.

To the guy who defended me, that's rad. You explained my thoughts exactly. Thank you.

To the rest of you, it's cool. I get it. I get how shit can come off sometimes ... on my show, on this forum and so on. I bet if I were to sit down and talk to some of you one on one the experience would be totally different and the discussion would be cool and intelligent and we'd agree and disagree and be cool.

I was only suggesting we tell fucked up stories from our childhoods because it seemed like a good segway and a chance for a lot of good reading material, not to take any heat off me or Chase or whatever. No one TOLD me to write that. There's no Berra "damage control" conspiracy. Haha.

I am not too big or too cool or too proud to apologize. If for some reason my reactions, or lack thereof bummed you guys out or made you think I'm lame, dude, that sucks and I'm sorry. Keep on keeping on.

I work for Element now. Still doing the show of course and all my other little side projects. Really hyped on the new rider announcement coming too. If any of you are going to be at the East Coast tour stops or Street League say whats up! I don't carry screwdrivers. Only a camera.

-Brink

TommyDuggs

• Rep: 1
« Reply #189 on: August 22, 2013, 12:12:55 AM »
Can't hate on you brink. I agree with the fact that there's literally no good way to deal with a situation like that given the position you're in.

smokecrack

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -160
« Reply #190 on: August 22, 2013, 12:13:49 AM »
Expand Quote
On a sidenote, it seems that Brink doesn't work for Emerica anymore, not really my business but I was wondering if Emerica was firing people to save money or if it was for other reasons...
[close]

As for the rest of this thread and people addressing me ... I don't know what I am supposed to say. I thought perhaps the words "shocking" and "do not condone" in my original post would make it pretty clear that the story is insane.

But that said, what am I supposed to do? I don't know the whole story, it happened ages ago, I am not the authorities. I still adhere to my original statement that kids do FUCKED UP shit. I've heard so many fucked up stories in my life and know people who have done crazy shit or had crazy shit happen to them that I dunno ... I guess sometimes maybe I am numb to it. But I dunno. Maybe I should say one more time that what happened with the screwdriver is totally fucked!

It sucks that this had to happen to someone. I've been bullied and had lame shit done to me. Nothing that crazy but it sucked nonetheless.

My intention was never to come off "flippant," but when you are doing an interview and you have a show to produce, you have to keep going, and you can't make your guests feel like they should shut up ... you have to roll with it, keep them comfortable and keep them talking.

Was I supposed to get up and punch Chase? Am I supposed to call the police? I mean, what are you guys doing about it? I am as empowered or powerless as you all.

To address being "owned" and not doing "real journalism" and "silent PR" and all that stuff ...

Well, there's a time and a place to "keep it real" and a time and a place to do your job and look out for yourself and no do or say shit that is gonna jeopardize anything you are doing. I've burned a lot of bridges by "keeping it real" over the years and it's not fun. Hopefully you all know the difference ... if you are a waiter and a customer is being an asshole, you suck it up and do your job. You don't go off on them so they never come back and get yourself fired ... to have a career in skateboarding, you have to play along somewhat. And EVERYONE plays along. If that's being "owned" then I guess I'm guilty. And me telling you that is me keeping it real. I know a lot of people who tell you to their face how "core" they are and shit, but really they are just yes men company boys. And they are everywhere.

As for real journalism ... no such thing really exists in skateboarding. But you could always check out my entire portfolio from the last 14 years on my website and decide if what I do in skateboarding and beyond is "real journalism" or not. But that seems to be something that's all opinion-based anyway. The fact that this came out on my show might actually be considered "real journalism." Something relatively gnarly was uncovered. You know?

As for me being silent and PR-ing myself ... If I was worried about PR for myself, I clearly wouldn't have taken an unpopular stance in this thread. If I was "owned" I would just agree with everyone.

To the guy who defended me, that's rad. You explained my thoughts exactly. Thank you.

To the rest of you, it's cool. I get it. I get how shit can come off sometimes ... on my show, on this forum and so on. I bet if I were to sit down and talk to some of you one on one the experience would be totally different and the discussion would be cool and intelligent and we'd agree and disagree and be cool.

I was only suggesting we tell fucked up stories from our childhoods because it seemed like a good segway and a chance for a lot of good reading material, not to take any heat off me or Chase or whatever. No one TOLD me to write that. There's no Berra "damage control" conspiracy. Haha.

I am not too big or too cool or too proud to apologize. If for some reason my reactions, or lack thereof bummed you guys out or made you think I'm lame, dude, that sucks and I'm sorry. Keep on keeping on.

I work for Element now. Still doing the show of course and all my other little side projects. Really hyped on the new rider announcement coming too. If any of you are going to be at the East Coast tour stops or Street League say whats up! I don't carry screwdrivers. Only a camera.

-Brink

(i'm addressing the highlighted part)

this is what i sincerely do not understand. i know you have a job to do and you're not trying to jeopardize what you have going for yourself, but no one in that room felt the need to call him out on this? it's not about shutting him up or punching him, it's about standing for something and speaking up when you should. maybe i'd understand where you're coming from if it was, let's say, your boss Tony, but it's the fucking filmer for The Berrics. what power or influence does this man have in skateboarding that puts you in a situation where you feel like you can't speak up on his bullshit? if he would have said that he drugged and gang-raped a woman in college, would you have manned up and challenged him or would you just try to keep the guest comfortable and talking?

i know you don't want to lose your job and you don't want to make it awkward for your guests, but he's the one who made things weird by telling the story in the first place. i, as a viewer, would have found it perfectly fine to at least question him on this instead of acting like it's no biggie.

(one last thing: how did the Ride Channel let this air and why do they feel it's ok for him to share this story to thousands of kids out there?)

shitsandwich

• Rep: -53
« Reply #191 on: August 22, 2013, 12:27:58 AM »
I see where your coming from Brink but yeah its just weird how Ride Channel let that out. I wonder if Chase regrets saying that shit...

GeorgeHanson

« Reply #192 on: August 22, 2013, 12:44:26 AM »
Rob "Chris Hansen" Brink.

GatorsGhost

• Rep: 116
    • Chilogy avatar image
« Reply #193 on: August 22, 2013, 12:51:27 AM »

Jackburton

« Reply #194 on: August 22, 2013, 01:00:11 AM »
Even if it was a joke it should have been edited out...  Also, making jokes to cover up a mistake gets old real quick. 

able

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 636
  • omm nom
    • able Skate Mag avatar image
« Reply #195 on: August 22, 2013, 01:19:21 AM »
^brink just said he doesn't do the editing.

ableSkateMag.com

Mark Renton

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 288
  • Choose life.
« Reply #196 on: August 22, 2013, 05:07:29 AM »
Hahaha I love how no one actually even blamed Erica for not doing or saying anything. All faults on poor brink!
video tape yourself saving monks. dont just do it. make sure its caught on film.

Turtle Boy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 171
« Reply #197 on: August 22, 2013, 05:30:50 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Well, there's a time and a place to "keep it real" and a time and a place to do your job and look out for yourself and not do or say shit that is gonna jeopardize anything you are doing. I've burned a lot of bridges by "keeping it real" over the years and it's not fun. Hopefully you all know the difference ... if you are a waiter and a customer is being an asshole, you suck it up and do your job. You don't go off on them so they never come back and get yourself fired ... to have a career in skateboarding, you have to play along somewhat. And EVERYONE plays along. If that's being "owned" then I guess I'm guilty. And me telling you that is me keeping it real. I know a lot of people who tell you to their face how "core" they are and shit, but really they are just yes men company boys. And they are everywhere.

-Brink

Thanks for the answer and good luck with Element, I guess you must have a lot to do with them.

Concerning the story with Chase, I think nobody here has any idea of what or when it actually happened, if Chase made some excuses, or if he is in good terms with said boy. Maybe Chase was 12 and the boy was 10, which is no excuse, but everybody here is acting like Chase did it yesterday to a 10 year old boy after giving him some candies...

The way Chase told that story is still quite eshocking, because it seems like no big deal, but I find everybody here judging quite fast on a story in which we know absolutely no details.

That being said, I'm not defending neither Brink (who needs no defense), nor Chase who is definitely a creepy motherfucker that works for another creepy guy.

Now I'd like to know if "Useless Wooden Bench" has ever been molested by Chase.

The Nose Face

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 8
« Reply #198 on: August 22, 2013, 07:43:38 AM »
Brink - it'll all go away if you post a fit.

twitchflip

• Rep: 58
« Reply #199 on: August 22, 2013, 08:46:11 AM »
chase "phillips head" gabor

Fenzadill

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 91
  • lemme get the 4 dollar one
« Reply #200 on: August 22, 2013, 09:49:55 AM »
I ain't mad at you Brink.  It's like you said, you got taken by surprise. 

HOWEVER, what I find fascinating about this whole situation is everyone glossed it over just like you di.  I dunno, where I'm from screwdriver rape is a pretty big deal, and the perpetrator of said crime would be punished, little kid or not.  In literally any other walk of life, a person who admits on camera to forcible sodomy experiences substantial backlash and probably loses their job and serves time, BUT WHATEVS THIS IS SK8ING GONNA GO PRACTICE MY BACKTAILZ
example. i cant cast a spelll or love potion on a girl and she falls total in love for me
but i can show a girl my tv youtube clip on my or her phone. but there's a difference ok

StimCoCruzer

« Reply #201 on: August 22, 2013, 10:06:47 AM »
these people were "just doing their job" too Brink. what would the world be like if that excuse didn't exist?

think of the children Brink

Sarcasm

• Rep: -9
« Reply #202 on: August 22, 2013, 11:41:19 AM »
He'll Chase ya with a screwdriver...
It's fucked up that after he told the story he was laughing about it. He could've easily said, "no, I'd rather not tell this story either" or do we blame the editor? What was he thinking while going through the footage? Oh this story about putting a screwdriver through a kid is hilarious that's going in the show for sure? Either way I'm steering clear of that Chase fella. I can't even look at a screwdriver the same anymore, I'm sorry Brink.

i used to skate

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -27
« Reply #203 on: August 22, 2013, 12:01:17 PM »
i dont really understand the people who say it shouldnt have been included.

maybe from a business/reputation standpoint, it would have been wise to omit it (but maybe not because look at all the attention its getting), or maybe if you think kids are gonna see this and think its okay and do it themselves (doubtful)

if you think brink etc glossed over the issue, editing it out really would have been pushing it under the rug. the people should know

TommyDuggs

• Rep: 1
« Reply #204 on: August 22, 2013, 02:29:28 PM »
He'll Chase ya with a screwdriver...
It's fucked up that after he told the story he was laughing about it. He could've easily said, "no, I'd rather not tell this story either" or do we blame the editor? What was he thinking while going through the footage? Oh this story about putting a screwdriver through a kid is hilarious that's going in the show for sure? Either way I'm steering clear of that Chase fella. I can't even look at a screwdriver the same anymore, I'm sorry Brink.
WHICH END WOULD YOU CHOOSE?

via

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 239
« Reply #205 on: August 22, 2013, 02:42:45 PM »
It should have been left in there, just so it's known that dude is fucked up.

But as far as brink saying he doesn't do the editing, I'm going to go out on a limb and say he sees the episodes before they go online. Plenty of time to say "hey, maybe we should leave the rape part out."

But from a business standpoint, ill say this is probably the most viewed episode ever, now.

If it bleeds (analy), it leads.

This could also be the end of candid weekend buzzes. Most big time skateboarders have some bit of a PR person, or at least a team manager/life coach. They will all be scripted and product placement now.

"Don't pull a Chase Gabor, your board sales can't take a hit"

goosey

• Rep: 4
« Reply #206 on: August 22, 2013, 02:43:52 PM »
i'm assuming/hoping it was through the trousers

wallieD

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -191

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 385
« Reply #208 on: August 22, 2013, 07:26:26 PM »

Thanks for the answer and good luck with Element, I guess you must have a lot to do with them.

Concerning the story with Chase, I think nobody here has any idea of what or when it actually happened, if Chase made some excuses, or if he is in good terms with said boy. Maybe Chase was 12 and the boy was 10, which is no excuse, but everybody here is acting like Chase did it yesterday to a 10 year old boy after giving him some candies...

The way Chase told that story is still quite eshocking, because it seems like no big deal, but I find everybody here judging quite fast on a story in which we know absolutely no details.

That being said, I'm not defending neither Brink (who needs no defense), nor Chase who is definitely a creepy motherfucker that works for another creepy guy.

I know you said "which is no excuse," but why even mention it then?  Being sexually assaulted or raped by another child doesn't make it any less traumatic for the victim.  That kid doesn't walk home and go "Well that sucked, but good thing it was only a 12 year old!  If he was 30, then I'd be traumatized!  I'm a-ok now!"

FrankAdams

« Reply #209 on: August 22, 2013, 07:33:34 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I know you said "which is no excuse," but why even mention it then?  Being sexually assaulted or raped by another child doesn't make it any less traumatic for the victim.  That kid doesn't walk home and go "Well that sucked, but good thing it was only a 12 year old!  If he was 30, then I'd be traumatized!  I'm a-ok now!"

Honestly, does his second reply really surprise you? It shouldn't. This whole affair is disappointing, but no skin off my balls. I've unsubscribed from Ride and haven't been to The Berrics website since BATB2. I've not lost sleep over their content nor should anyone. As to why was Erica accused, I believe I made mention of her culpability at least once, but let's be serious here. She's just eye candy. You've heard her questions. I expect nothing from someone like that. Brink can string sentences together, and is usually a smart and thoughtful guy.