Author Topic: Ricky O Racism Callout  (Read 19908 times)

ziggy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -217
Re: Ricky O Racism Callout
« Reply #30 on: April 29, 2021, 02:30:34 PM »
a lot of people enabling stupid shit here because they fetishize ‘east coast attitude’

Fhk

« Reply #31 on: April 29, 2021, 02:33:33 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
The golden age of skateboarding was, for the most part, a bunch of crews comprised of actual juvenile delinquents doing delinquent shit and there is little reason to believe many of them aged out of their delinquency.
[close]

This. The more you learn about any of these "classic" skate scenes the more you realize they were absolute hellscapes of male middle school maturity (even if some of them were adults). Not much better or inclusive than a 1980's high school football locker room, and in fact probably much worse. I'm glad i'm skating now, and not then.
[close]

Your assessment is 100% spot-on.
[close]
This assessment is 100% not spot-on for the Boston skate scene in this amazing era...with all due respect fellas. Diversity was in full effect and the skating the best the Northeast has ever seen.
[close]

ok, sorry.

"*with few exceptions, the crop of skateboarding cool-guy pros were some of the biggest doofusy, no-nothing, trashy assholes on par with the worse jocks, during a certain very exclusionary period of skateboarding"

*Boston
Hearing all of this I'm grateful I grew up where I did.. and couldn't afford road trips back then.

excitableboy

• Rep: 92
« Reply #32 on: April 29, 2021, 02:35:45 PM »
I type this while wearing a traffic shirt with him on it lol: Ricky is the perfect example of separating art from artist/skating from skater for me. Dude was absolutely amazing, deeply influential, and I fuck heavily with his ‘rules’ (no switch mongo, doing a trick in order to switch stance, etc.) but god damn does he seem to suck as a person/can’t grow up. Such a bummer. Prob not gonna be wearing the shirt much anymore :(

There is something to those rules until one becomes anal about them. Which I guess is exactly why Woeyola was the one to formalize them.

bigdave

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 180
« Reply #33 on: April 29, 2021, 02:38:54 PM »
a lot of people enabling stupid shit here because they fetishize ‘east coast attitude’

lol where are you at all seeing that
ok thanks

ballintoohard

« Reply #34 on: April 29, 2021, 02:56:05 PM »
I always wondered why Ricky had such shitty sponsors. New Deal wasn't really that big of a brand despite having some decent names. It seemed like he always ended up on squads that were low-key East Coast and went under and he branded it as trying to stay true to the scene, but I doubt that was the only reason.

Bay10Blues

• Rep: 5
« Reply #35 on: April 29, 2021, 03:07:35 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
The golden age of skateboarding was, for the most part, a bunch of crews comprised of actual juvenile delinquents doing delinquent shit and there is little reason to believe many of them aged out of their delinquency.
[close]

This. The more you learn about any of these "classic" skate scenes the more you realize they were absolute hellscapes of male middle school maturity (even if some of them were adults). Not much better or inclusive than a 1980's high school football locker room, and in fact probably much worse. I'm glad i'm skating now, and not then.
[close]

Your assessment is 100% spot-on.
[close]
This assessment is 100% not spot-on for the Boston skate scene in this amazing era...with all due respect fellas. Diversity was in full effect and the skating the best the Northeast has ever seen.
[close]

ok, sorry.

"*with few exceptions, the crop of skateboarding cool-guy pros were some of the biggest doofusy, no-nothing, trashy assholes on par with the worse jocks, during a certain very exclusionary period of skateboarding"

*Boston

I started skating in the late 80’s early 90’s in the southern east coast and traveled to most of the “big” scenes back then, DC, New York, Boston, SF, Philly and never had a problem with any of the folks in those scenes, even showing up as a total outsider. Show respect, get respect. We were offered floors to crash on, guides to spots, really anything you could ask for.  Diversity was significant for the time, especially in bigger cities. Yes, there were some tough guys everywhere, in our scene as well, but some of that came from the fact that we were constantly bombarded with attacks from normal folks and seen as delinquents just because we skated. Few and proud as skateboarders. You had to be able to stand up for yourselves. It wasn’t always a pretty scene, we were all screwed up one way or the other, but it was a big dysfunctional family in many ways.

All that said, no one I knew would have stood for the behavior being highlighted by this thread. You got your ass kicked for that racist shit, and banished.

Reed Richards

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 106
« Reply #36 on: April 29, 2021, 03:10:40 PM »
Met Ricky on a few occasions, he’s a strong personality for sure.  But that mfer is part Puerto Rican, not racist. He’s just an asshole.
Let me be the one to tell you, being Puerto Rican doesn't absolve anyone of racism.

Same thing happens with a lot of San Francisco bullshit past and present, and even some 1010 supporters in the industry.  It's just how it is in skateboarding.

I always wondered why Ricky had such shitty sponsors. New Deal wasn't really that big of a brand despite having some decent names. It seemed like he always ended up on squads that were low-key East Coast and went under and he branded it as trying to stay true to the scene, but I doubt that was the only reason.
It's like he's Henry Sanchez-lite.  Legendary talent but his shitty attitude kooked him out of the industry.  Ricky at least stayed on some fringe brands for awhile.

honey island

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 640
« Reply #37 on: April 29, 2021, 03:41:41 PM »
some one dm traffic like a man

Matthew_James

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -191
« Reply #38 on: April 29, 2021, 04:01:47 PM »
some one dm traffic like a man

Aren’t corporations technically people via corporate personhood? Traffic should make a Slap account and post here like a man, maybe they’ll finally resonate online with their target demographic for once...
At least when you're a washed-out hipster douchebag in NY, you can milk it at some decent looking, hard to skate spots. In LA you're just a tan-lined faggot in a school yard somewhere.

cky enthusiast

« Reply #39 on: April 29, 2021, 04:15:59 PM »
matt reason woulda never let us down like this

iwishilivedinfinla

« Reply #40 on: April 29, 2021, 06:42:05 PM »
Ah the Jovontae incident...

They mention it nonchalantly in the NSA contest article in the November ‘93 issue of Thrasher.

I had absolutely no qualms about being from Philly and 100% a Jovontae fan when I was younger.

love that Cylde is the next blurb after Ricky.

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -214
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #41 on: April 29, 2021, 07:05:57 PM »
Expand Quote

They mention it nonchalantly in the NSA contest article in the November ‘93 issue of Thrasher.

I had absolutely no qualms about being from Philly and 100% a Jovontae fan when I was younger.
[close]

I still have mine too. That was my first issue.
2022 Slap Fantasy Football Champion

Plan9Customs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 530
« Reply #42 on: April 29, 2021, 07:27:55 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

He also got his ass banned at Love as well for the same shit. Go figure.

Fletschinger

• Rep: 47
« Reply #43 on: April 29, 2021, 08:34:25 PM »
This probably isn’t for this thread, but I’ll always recall when Ricky said Kareem Campbell hadn’t done anything to deserve a pro shoe.  This was while Ricky rode for “kastell” ( can’t sell )    Anyone with that interview thing please post it.  I want to say it was in a slap mag but I could be wrong. I think he also said he’d never leave the east coast ever to skate and later was in Barcelona for a vox article.   I guess it’s East of the states..? 

pj chad

• Rep: 7
« Reply #44 on: April 29, 2021, 09:47:22 PM »
a friend rode for Traffic for a little bit and Ricky sure is interesting
lets just put it that way

Shaun Williams?

Someone in the comments of Clydes Instagram post says that they have seen that exact EMB footage of the whole Ricky incident. I’ll throw up $100 via Venmo to anyone who can locate that footage.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 264
« Reply #45 on: April 29, 2021, 10:16:53 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Shaun Williams?

Someone in the comments of Clydes Instagram post says that they have seen that exact EMB footage of the whole Ricky incident. I’ll throw up $100 via Venmo to anyone who can locate that footage.

What does Karl Watsons and Jovantae’s accounts get me?

Jovantae:

One story I’ve always heard about but have never heard your side of the story on was how things went down at Embarcadero with a young Ricky Oyola.

(laughs) I knew you were gonna bring this up. I always get asked about that and Steve Berra.

But the Ricky Oyola thing was crazy. He was taking photos down at Embarcadero one day while I was out skating. I didn’t even know who he was at the time. Nothing. But I remember he was trying to do the Gonz when, all of a sudden, I thought I heard somebody yell out the word, “Niggers!”

I thought I was tripping. I honestly didn’t even really pay any attention to it at first because there was no way that’s what was being said. But then I watched him try the Gonz again and when he bailed, I actually saw him screaming out the word, “Nigger!”

I was like, “What the fuck!?!”

But I still couldn’t believe it… and then he did it again!

That’s when I called him out. I walked him over to the other side of Embarcadero to talk and I ended up swinging on him. I swung my board straight at his head but he ducked. However, I just happened to be with one of my boys who had a pitbull with him… Ricky basically got chased out of Embarcadero. That was it.

I ended up seeing him a few years later at the Tampa Contest but he didn’t want to do anything. I heard he was talking shit but he didn’t want to do nothing when I saw him.

That shit’s crazy, though.

Yeah, Stevie was just telling me the other day another story about Ricky doing the same thing back at Love Park. Back when Stevie was a little kid and couldn’t do anything about it. He said that Ricky would do that all the time. Just punking people.

He couldn’t pull that shit in San Francisco. I think I was probably the last time he said that shit anywhere.

Karl:
And you were there for the Ricky Oyola incident as well, right?

Yeah, that was horrible.

Ricky was trying something over the Seven and for whatever reason, screaming “Nigger” was like his “Fuck” back then. So next thing we know, we’re just hearing this dude screaming “Nigger!”, like, multiple times. We couldn’t even believe it. It was like he had Tourette’s or something.

The first couple times, we’re just kinda looking at each other in disbelief. But then he screamed it again, Jovontae just starts chasing him. They’re fighting. They’re running around. They ran into the art gallery, which was always off-limits to skaters. They start fighting in there. It was wild, man.

And yeah, that stuff was always exciting, but at the same time, we liked seeing out-of-town pros come to the spot. Obviously, Ricky’s circumstances were a little different than Alphonzo’s case, but we’d always be a little bummed to see them getting into fights down there.

EdLawndale

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1094
    • My Wife avatar image
« Reply #46 on: April 29, 2021, 10:26:02 PM »
Imagine being so ignorant that you think being mad is an acceptable reason to repeatedly scream the n-word in public and believe that those who get offended by it are "tak[ing] it wrong."
"Was just about to say, wtf is up with this EdLawndale guy?"

Seadramon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 230
« Reply #47 on: April 29, 2021, 10:49:18 PM »
This thread is a good read.

Some shocking stuff in it. He really is a odd guy

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=54281.150

That thread was a horrible read. Just a bunch of babies feuding.

fredgallSOTY

« Reply #48 on: April 29, 2021, 11:04:59 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Max Murphy?
yep

dont wanna give away too much for the sake of Max, not like i have any intense dirt on ricky but from what i hear he just seems like a weird guy. not very nice. doesnt use very nice language.

TheLurper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 654
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #49 on: April 30, 2021, 12:47:40 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Why did Oyola tell BK this story? Did he expect BK to sympathize with him? Was he honestly surprised that local skaters didn't take the white guy screaming racial slurs at the top of his lungs the "right way"? What 21 year old dude goes into SF and starts spouting off slurs even if he is a racist dipshit?

Kind of reminds me of that stupid scene in Die Hard with a Vengeance where Samuel L Jackson has to save Bruce Willis because he is wearing a signboard with a racial slur on it in Harlem.

What happened with Kalis and Oyola at Love?

Oyola kind of sounds like he was the local racist "cool" guy that was super mean cause he was good at skateboarding and expected everyone to kiss his ass because he was good at skateboarding. Shit, I wonder how much further he would have made it if he was nice to people. Shit, I wonder if there could have been an Oyola DC shoe, if Williams and Kalis had been like, "Yea dude he rips and was super cool" rather than "yea, he's good, but he was fucking racist asshole."

Quote from: ChuckRamone
I love when people bring up world hunger. It makes everything meaningless.
"That guy is double parked."
"Who cares? There are people starving to death! Besides, how does that affect you? Does it lessen the joy of parking?

Bunk Moreland

« Reply #50 on: April 30, 2021, 01:30:50 AM »
Ricky hasn't done shit since EE3 and even back then it wasn't shit. Why is this dude still being talked about?

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1326
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #51 on: April 30, 2021, 01:59:33 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
[close]

Why did Oyola tell BK this story? Did he expect BK to sympathize with him? Was he honestly surprised that local skaters didn't take the white guy screaming racial slurs at the top of his lungs the "right way"? What 21 year old dude goes into SF and starts spouting off slurs even if he is a racist dipshit?

Kind of reminds me of that stupid scene in Die Hard with a Vengeance where Samuel L Jackson has to save Bruce Willis because he is wearing a signboard with a racial slur on it in Harlem.

Oyola kind of sounds like he was the local racist "cool" guy that was super mean cause he was good at skateboarding and expected everyone to kiss his ass because he was good at skateboarding. Shit, I wonder how much further he would have made it if he was nice to people. Shit, I wonder if there could have been an Oyola DC shoe, if Williams and Kalis had been like, "Yea dude he rips and was super cool" rather than "yea, he's good, but he was fucking racist asshole."
I just watched that Kalis Life on Video doc and the cut when they talk about Kalis being banished from Philly by Ricky is so weird. He alludes to the fact they didn't get along and maybe why but they fade that audio out and show a group photo with text explaining he had been banned but not why. I also don't remember it being mentioned in his Epicly Laterd but it's been a while since I last saw it.

On a related note, I thought Brian Bannon, the writer of the Thrasher NSA Am article, was straight up calling Ricky out in a sly way. He starts out with quoting Ricky's at the time current shoutout to Roger Browne, who I only just now know of from the Kalis doc, then says his favorite color is black and then prints the year old EMB story in one of the two journals of record in skateboarding. Ricky's politicking and Brannon puts him on blast.

Edit: I found this edit that has some great footage of Roger Browne ripping Philly in the 80s.
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #52 on: April 30, 2021, 02:58:58 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
[close]

Hang on.  McClane is forced to wear that sign otherwise another bomb will go off and kill people.   He’s not just doing it to rile people up, the terrorist did it because it such a blatantly provocative act that will get McClane’s ass kicked hard (and it seems a very German idea to do an American).   It is a lot more (for lack of a better work) cringey to see the N-word like that in this day and age, but that doesn’t mean it still isn’t the best Die Hard movie.   

Highonangeldust

• Rep: 625
« Reply #53 on: April 30, 2021, 03:04:43 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

Hang on.  McClane is forced to wear that sign otherwise another bomb will go off and kill people.   He’s not just doing it to rile people up, the terrorist did it because it such a blatantly provocative act that will get McClane’s ass kicked hard (and it seems a very German idea to do an American).   It is a lot more (for lack of a better work) cringey to see the N-word like that in this day and age, but that doesn’t mean it still isn’t the best Die Hard movie.
I photoshopped Ricky’s head on John McClane in that scene just to see what it would look like. Fuck, it was too much, That’s definitely the second best Die Hard though

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #54 on: April 30, 2021, 03:17:46 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]
I photoshopped Ricky’s head on John McClane in that scene just to see what it would look like. Fuck, it was too much, That’s definitely the second best Die Hard though

Hah being the 2nd best DH is a dubious honor, since there are only 2 good Die Hards.   I just think that DHWAV cuts out a lot of the fat the first Die Hard has.  The action literally starts in the first minute and goes from there.   Feels like a purer good time to me with one death scene that literally make me jump with how out of nowhere gruesome it was when I was watching it the other day

Highonangeldust

• Rep: 625
« Reply #55 on: April 30, 2021, 03:40:36 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

Hah being the 2nd best DH is a dubious honor, since there are only 2 good Die Hards.   I just think that DHWAV cuts out a lot of the fat the first Die Hard has.  The action literally starts in the first minute and goes from there.   Feels like a purer good time to me with one death scene that literally make me jump with how out of nowhere gruesome it was when I was watching it the other day
Fuck, you got me sold. I’m gonna pass out to that one right now. It’s on hulu. Love me some Sam Jackson. I totally forgot they made one where they were in Russia or some shit.

Youoverthere

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 165
« Reply #56 on: April 30, 2021, 03:47:09 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

He kinda got called out by a reader in the next month’s issue. Look at “grey area”
The old thrasher mail drops feel like an ancient slap forum ha!
« Last Edit: April 30, 2021, 04:05:57 AM by Youoverthere »

it must be crazy when chico sells you something and the tables switch from "give me my money chico" to "giving my money to chico"

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 107
« Reply #57 on: April 30, 2021, 03:52:58 AM »
Fuck. This thread got me bummed. Oyola's way of skating was my favorite. Got me inspired for years to roll around the city, doing simple shit fast. But I can't keep my sig after reading this, even though "separate the art from the artist" is my usual stance.
It's like someone said about the T-shirt. I'll still appreciate his skating but I'm not going to promote him.

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1430
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #58 on: April 30, 2021, 04:06:54 AM »
the guy has zero self awareness. shitposting on clydes account, what does the dude expect? i love ricky oyolas parts, but man, that guy is a caustic asshole to the max. and those dms were pretty bad as well. clyde rules for being real.

unlike with others, like duffel, it's hard to say if ricky could be redeemed of any of those transgressions, since he can't even own up to them correctly, instead he tries to rewrite history. he's either lying to clyde, or he's lying in that big brother blurb, it's probably clear which one is true due to clyde remembering the whole thing. it's possible that ricky regrets it for real, but even then it's crazy how tryhard he goes about changing that narrative. that's not how to resolve or put an end to this.

just shut your mouth if you don't want to or can't apologize for some reason, and if you apologize, just do that and don't say you're kind of sorry but then say everyone got the story wrong. wtf.

also not sure how guys all think about this, but when i generally think of apologies or explanations in contexts like this i'm usually not interested in those lengthy and wordy and vague, fake woke apologies. it would be better to keep it simple and just say yo i fucked up and i need to work on this. but there seems to be some standard formula, where the apology pretty much just covers the fact that people were offended, followed by tons of explanations why the alleged behavior was'nt so bad or not bad at all, that it's all just a misunderstanding and that the person has love and respect for everyone and all that shit. no motherfucker you don't respect nor careabout no one because it's obvious that you're not sorry for what you did to your victim, you are sorry about yourself and what you did to your reputation because you now fear losing business from that loss of rep.

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -214
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #59 on: April 30, 2021, 04:26:49 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
[close]

Lol at Ricky on DC. Ricky would’ve never gotten on DC.

Ricky was early 90’s good, but DC was an elite team by 98-99. He was 28 at that point and leagues behind Caine Gayle or Carl Shipman who were 11th and 12th men on that team.
2022 Slap Fantasy Football Champion