Author Topic: Friends of Newport Skatepark Donation Video  (Read 367 times)

Fast_Freddie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 61
    • SOMD Skateboard Association avatar image
Friends of Newport Skatepark Donation Video
« on: May 30, 2023, 06:49:31 AM »
Pretty awesome video and story behind the Newport skate scene relentlessly working with local government to build a modern concrete skatepark, which is long overdue!

My wife's parents live in Newport, RI and we go to visit often.  Donny Barley now lives in Newport as well, and has been a huge proponent of this project moving forward.

uesty

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 94
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Friends of Newport Skatepark Donation Video
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2023, 08:26:31 AM »
as a resident of rhode island this excites me  :D

IUTSM

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1406
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2023, 09:01:19 PM »
The ghost of skater island!

Hopefully they do it right
Well-defined ambiguity, I'm already on somebody's list as a casualty

Shitbag

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 162
  • A mystery wrapped inside a Twinkie
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2023, 10:08:41 AM »
I was born in Newport but left at 2 months old and have never seen it, I’ve heard it’s super nice.
Gonna have to make the trek there some day.

Jim and Dan

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 484
  • Twenty-six Conversions in A.D. 46
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2023, 10:48:12 AM »
as a resident of rhode island this excites me  :D

Agreed, but c'mon Newport already has a park... I think it's still there but haven't been down to 2nd Beach in quite a while.

As most are probably not aware, that park is/was complete garbage and would get completely buried in sand due to no protection from the beach. Even as a kid, who would happily skate any of the pre-fab concrete parks that are ubiquitous in New England (if you know, you know) I fucking hated the Newport one, the ground akin to the rock tar that they put on flat roofs and there were gaping cracks everywhere, no wonder the place was always deserted. Coming down here I'd just go to Skaters Island, Jamestown or any of the other pre-fab parks in the area.

But seriously I back it, maybe Pupecki can DJ the opening ceremonies when completed. Rhode Island has actually got some decent parks in the past decade so I have high hopes with Barley and The Package behind it, albeit I probably won't live here by the time it's completed.

@Shitbag Newport is just okay, kind of touristy and the gap between wealth and poverty in the area can be shocking at times given where you are, but the landscape is quite nice. I live on the island across from the island Newport is on (which is also very touristy in the on-season) and I rarely go over the bridge to Newport, especially during the summer because it is just mobs of people everywhere and the actual area of Newport can be hard to navigate with it being so tight.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2023, 11:07:40 AM by Jim and Dan »
Roll for Rusty, Frip, Dapple and Tate

"My boiz better take my body, and boardslide me down the fucking bridge, in San Francisco"

stephop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -387
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2023, 10:58:21 AM »
The island was great. OMF is super fun. Has something for everyone.

IUTSM

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1406
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2023, 09:15:18 PM »
I was born in Newport but left at 2 months old and have never seen it, I’ve heard it’s super nice.
Gonna have to make the trek there some day.

Its alright. Wouldnt say say super nice. Super expensive maybe, but meh. It can be fun to visit though
Well-defined ambiguity, I'm already on somebody's list as a casualty

Steely Daniel

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 458
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2023, 03:31:23 PM »
You know you're getting old and soft when you almost shed a tear watching a little kid do a nose stall on a curb.

As a fellow island dweller with a shitty skatepark I hope your project is successful!

Here's a little thread bump for good measure.