Author Topic: What about God?  (Read 13376 times)

_UniversalTruth_

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 42
Re: What about God?
« Reply #210 on: February 12, 2013, 07:40:33 PM »
I also feel sorry for those who are discrimated against because of their sexual orientation, race or whatever.
But isn't it bizarre that a discussion about God is leading to being gay or not!?
It only shows once more that the institutions who claim to represent some higher power don't have any foundation and legitimation. All they represent is the middle ages and an old ass book which they interpret too damn literally instead of metaphorically.

If there is something like God, it doesn't need a bible/ koran, Santa Claus or Easter bunny. God would be a principle that exists within everything, disregarding human trations, value systems or personal interests. It's more like something that you can connect to by making individual experiences, whatever they might be. tha's my point of view.

i likes skooterboarding.. be lets friends :)

GZA liquidswords

« Reply #211 on: February 12, 2013, 07:44:40 PM »
 cant stand it when church people come to the plaza with jeebus brochures and try to convert people, thou shall keep thy religion to thy mothafuckin self

Cadillac Ranch Dressing

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 476
« Reply #212 on: February 12, 2013, 07:51:49 PM »
Expand Quote
It's funny/sad because I was raised in the church and loved it. Spent a lot of my free time there. Then my mom died of cancer. Several years after that I realized I was gay. Talk about bummed. All that time I thought I was special because the sin of lusting over women seemed to have just passed me by...little did I know. The church and religion got rid of ME, not the other way around. I went to the leaders of the church for help and they tossed me out. My family threw me out too. Everything I had been raised to believe in rejected me. And for anyone who brings that "gay is a choice" bullshit. If gay is a choice for me then it is for everyone else too, which means that when you go into a room you always find the men as attractive as the women...you just choose to get a boner for the women. I mean...why should I be so lucky to get this choice but you didn't? Trust me...I wouldn't EVER have chosen to be gay. In fact I tried and tried for the opposite to be true. Wasn't in the cards. And I prayed and cried over it until I was out of tears...no luck...God wasn't listening. To not accept myself was to spit in the face of God...to think I knew better than to accept what He created.

Simon, I appreciate your spirit and I think you're well intentioned, but religion sucks. It has destroyed far more lives than it has helped to build up. Talk to an "ex-gay" in the church and tell me he doesn't lisp. You can't. It teaches people like me to loathe themselves over something we didn't want in the first place...but something that is quite core to who we are. It was only when I learned to accept myself that I ever had anything close to a spiritual experience.

I am also in recovery from meth addiction...will turn 10 this year if I stay on the track I'm on. If God really hated me for being gay (which hasn't changed...still gay) he could easily have let me slip quietly into the grip of serious addiction. Instead I was given a moment of grace.

I pray now, but I don't know if it's to anything...I just feel like it helps me shift my perspective to something outside of myself. I ask for help in the morning and I say thanks at night. I don't try to convince others what they should or shouldn't believe. I live and let live. I can't stand spiritual people (yoga dorks and buddhist types come to mind) but don't deny that they have found something that works for them...so I do my best to not judge...I just take what works for me and leave the rest.

Like I said, I think you're intentions are good but this thread feels like proselytizing. Take care and congratulations on your sobriety. I know that is a hard-fought battle.
[close]

Hey buddy. Sorry to hear about the rough spots in your journey in life. I'm not an expert on this topic, but the former homosexuals that I have talked to have said that their sexual behavior wound up being the root of their emotional and spiritual problems. I have found personally that trying to obey the Bible the best that I can has helped me greatly in life. I know the Bible speaks a lot on sexuality, if your ever in the mood you might want to check out Romans 1:23-27 and 1 Corinthians 6:9. These passages have been a great help to a lot of people. peace.
Alright, time to stop posting.
"I got a fever and the only prescription is more Cadillac Ranch Dressing." - Jereme Rogers

weedpop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 308
« Reply #213 on: February 12, 2013, 08:00:16 PM »
The idea that God and science are intrinsically at loggerheads is really bizarre. hundreds of scientists like myself have a theist persuasion (aka belief in God(s)). For starters, Christians have driven scientific advances for thousands of years, including to this day. think about leading scientists today who are theists.... john polkinhorne, francis collins, john lennox, ard louis, william phillips...i'm just doing a boring list now but there are shizen loads so I find it embarrassing when suggest science and God are in two different camps. I did the alpha course and it made me reflect on what I actually believed in . and rather then just criticising peoples belief i realised that atheism is perhaps the mother of all faiths. challenging my lack of faith was the best thing i have done. hands down.

The existence of credible theist scientists doesn't really say anything about science or god, it just displays the malleability of human belief systems and our interesting ability to simultaneously accommodate different, sometimes contradictory ideas within our approaches to life. There's nothing in particular about empirical observation and hypothesis testing that denies the idea of God and/or final causes, however I do think that scientific practice is in many ways inherently opposed to religious practice (the latter being based around finding explanations for things that come from faith/cultural consensus rather than observation). It is undeniable that the conclusions arrived at by scientists of various disciplines throughout history have been in direct conflict with those espoused by religions (which may or may not have anything to do with God), and this is, I believe, why so many scientists have taken refuge in a vague "theism".

Seamus_McShamebag

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 855
« Reply #214 on: February 12, 2013, 08:04:17 PM »
This thread is great, it's a microcosm of the the type of shit that spawns hatred towards religious fundamentalist.  If Christian doctrine is correct then I'll be happily roasting in hell because clearly the company will be better there.

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 386
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #215 on: February 12, 2013, 08:07:55 PM »
Fuck you Simon. �You're not an expert on sexuality so how about you shut the fuck up and stop trying to force your religious beliefs on anyone, much less people that are constantly being told by the book your religion is based on and the heads of your religion (almost all denominations) that they're abhorrent. �How about you just accept homosexuals and treat them with love and respect instead of trying to change them and blaming their sexuality for "their emotional and spiritual problems?" �Maybe being told that they are eternally damned to hell for and should be ashamed of who they love and are attracted to, something that they cannot control, is the root of their emotional and spiritual problems? �You said God's and Gandhi's relationship is their business, so isn't it not your business how God feels about homosexuals?

Nice job sending GAY to check out some verses that condemn him to damnation because of his sexual orientation, by the way.  I'm sure that'll make him want to join your team.

dillanharp

« Reply #216 on: February 12, 2013, 08:25:32 PM »
The earth was formed roughly 4 and a half billion years ago through planetesmal collisions caused by gravity. Not a fucking ghost deciding to have a fucking ant farm. Really? why are we talking about this shit?

ChronicBluntSlider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #217 on: February 12, 2013, 08:42:36 PM »
Simon, I've been doing some praying. I asked God, Lord, there is an apparent mad man posting in your name on the Slap forum, preaching intolerance rather than love. I realize that sometimes prophets appear as mad men to ordinary people, so I ask you Lord, is Simon Woodstock doing your work? Woodcock? he said. What is this a prank? No, Lord, Woodstock. As I said, he is preaching intolerance in your name. Oh, Woodstock. Nay, he has been tricked by the devil. said the Lord. The devil? I asked. Yes the devil cloaks himself in my name so his deeds go unnoticed, but listen to his words, and look into his heart, and you'll see he is doing the work of the devil. Do not listen to Woodcock. He perverts the name of Christ. Tell those far and wide that Woodcock has been fooled by the devil.

The rest of the conversation was private. Thought I'd give you a heads up though.

MuchasGracias

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -140
« Reply #218 on: February 12, 2013, 08:46:19 PM »
Religion is bullshit, it only causes problems.

The earth was formed roughly 4 and a half billion years ago through planetesmal collisions caused by gravity. Not a fucking ghost deciding to have a fucking ant farm. Really? why are we talking about this shit?

ericw

« Reply #219 on: February 12, 2013, 08:47:53 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
It's funny/sad because I was raised in the church and loved it. Spent a lot of my free time there. Then my mom died of cancer. Several years after that I realized I was gay. Talk about bummed. All that time I thought I was special because the sin of lusting over women seemed to have just passed me by...little did I know. The church and religion got rid of ME, not the other way around. I went to the leaders of the church for help and they tossed me out. My family threw me out too. Everything I had been raised to believe in rejected me. And for anyone who brings that "gay is a choice" bullshit. If gay is a choice for me then it is for everyone else too, which means that when you go into a room you always find the men as attractive as the women...you just choose to get a boner for the women. I mean...why should I be so lucky to get this choice but you didn't? Trust me...I wouldn't EVER have chosen to be gay. In fact I tried and tried for the opposite to be true. Wasn't in the cards. And I prayed and cried over it until I was out of tears...no luck...God wasn't listening. To not accept myself was to spit in the face of God...to think I knew better than to accept what He created.

Simon, I appreciate your spirit and I think you're well intentioned, but religion sucks. It has destroyed far more lives than it has helped to build up. Talk to an "ex-gay" in the church and tell me he doesn't lisp. You can't. It teaches people like me to loathe themselves over something we didn't want in the first place...but something that is quite core to who we are. It was only when I learned to accept myself that I ever had anything close to a spiritual experience.

I am also in recovery from meth addiction...will turn 10 this year if I stay on the track I'm on. If God really hated me for being gay (which hasn't changed...still gay) he could easily have let me slip quietly into the grip of serious addiction. Instead I was given a moment of grace.

I pray now, but I don't know if it's to anything...I just feel like it helps me shift my perspective to something outside of myself. I ask for help in the morning and I say thanks at night. I don't try to convince others what they should or shouldn't believe. I live and let live. I can't stand spiritual people (yoga dorks and buddhist types come to mind) but don't deny that they have found something that works for them...so I do my best to not judge...I just take what works for me and leave the rest.

Like I said, I think you're intentions are good but this thread feels like proselytizing. Take care and congratulations on your sobriety. I know that is a hard-fought battle.
[close]
So it seems as if man failed you. God says in the bible that man will always fail us, but He never will (One example is Psalm 27:10). To me, it seems like your church didn't have Christ's love at the center....which is a real shame, and I'm honestly sorry that all had to happen. I feel as if my church handles homosexuality very well. They tolerate the choice even though they don't support it. They believe that everyone deserves Christ's love which is very important as well as Biblical.
[close]
I'm gonna go ahead and call you on this one, "tolerate" is a very easy way to say that they will never support it. I've been getting "tolerated" my entire life, I'm still "tolerated" by people who claim to love the sinner and hate the sin. I'm "tolerated" by the religious that turn their heads when I'm in public with my significant other, doing nothing but holding hands. I've been "tolerated" enough. Don't be fake to my face, I know what a majority (not all, I won't generalize, there are some very supportive religious people) of people with religion think. You might assume that I don't care what other people think and I shouldn't, and I don't as much now, but being bullied in jr. high getting called a faggot everyday is gonna leave some marks and some hostility. So I'm tired of being "tolerated" tolerating someone is being in the same room or sitting next to someone on a plane and hating it but not doing much to counteract it. If you believe that everyone is deserving of equal love and equal treatment then I want my complete civil rights now.

/rant

Tolerate: Allow the existence, occurrence, or practice of (something that one does not necessarily like or agree with) without interference.

With that being said, I don't have to agree with everyones beliefs. However, I'm still going to treat them like a normal person regardless of the choices they make in life. Just like you can tolerate my faith, even though you don't have agree/accept Christianity. I have plenty of friends that are gay and I thoroughly enjoy chillen with them.  I have no room to say that my lifestyle is better than anyone else's. I am no better than you.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 08:51:10 PM by ericw »

Simon Woodstock

• Rep: -35
    • Nowhere avatar image
« Reply #220 on: February 12, 2013, 08:53:43 PM »
Simon, I've been doing some praying. I asked God, Lord, there is an apparent mad man posting in your name on the Slap forum, preaching intolerance rather than love. I realize that sometimes prophets appear as mad men to ordinary people, so I ask you Lord, is Simon Woodstock doing your work? Woodcock? he said. What is this a prank? No, Lord, Woodstock. As I said, he is preaching intolerance in your name. Oh, Woodstock. Nay, he has been tricked by the devil. said the Lord. The devil? I asked. Yes the devil cloaks himself in my name so his deeds go unnoticed, but listen to his words, and look into his heart, and you'll see he is doing the work of the devil. Do not listen to Woodcock. He perverts the name of Christ. Tell those far and wide that Woodcock has been fooled by the devil.

The rest of the conversation was private. Thought I'd give you a heads up though.

hey chronic. tolerance works both ways, man. If all is tolerable (according to the contemporary understanding) then all is tolerable. Are you being intolerant towards my conservative views?

ChronicBluntSlider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #221 on: February 12, 2013, 09:12:31 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

hey chronic. tolerance works both ways, man. If all is tolerable (according to the contemporary understanding) then all is tolerable. Are you being intolerant towards my conservative views?

At first I was listening you out, then I was skeptical when you started denying science, then when started being cruel to the gay members of the forum in the name of Christ you just made me kind of sick. i would say the same to KKK who use Bible to justify racism, etc.

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 386
« Reply #222 on: February 12, 2013, 09:12:58 PM »
What a horrible logical fallacy Simon (which is something you're really good at).

You cannot espouse an intolerant view, a belief that there is something inherently wrong with a person because of their sexual orientation, which directly affects people's lives, and claim that us saying, "No--this intolerance will not be accepted." is the same thing.

EDIT: Completely misread that quote and didn't catch it until now.  Here's a better piece. http://www.atheistrev.com/2006/12/paradox-of-intolerance.html?m=1
« Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 11:27:05 PM by oyolar »

HeadInLionsMouth

• Rep: 142
« Reply #223 on: February 12, 2013, 09:34:54 PM »
I run with a thieving squad, and none of us believe in god

R.I.P. Big L

Also, I'm down with people who believe or don't believe - whatever. Where I take issue is when people who claim to adhere to a lifestyle centered on faith, by it's very nature a system of trust in unknowns, are so afraid of things that are new, strange (or unknown) to them that they act on that fear in a way harmful to others. It's hypocrisy and it's embarrassing.

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 158
« Reply #224 on: February 12, 2013, 09:51:52 PM »
He went to the temple where the money changers were, he took his hatchet and smash, smash, SUMAAASH!!!

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

sk8fool

• Rep: -30
« Reply #225 on: February 12, 2013, 10:58:09 PM »
I believe in the Jesus of the Bible, the Son of God. I believe he died for us all and was risen up on the third day by God the Father. He has ascended to heaven and now sits at the right hand of God the Father. He is awaiting your reply to his gracious gift of Salvation. Will you accept it? Believe me your life will be changed for the better in so many ways. Call out to God with all your heart, he is waiting.

Rockin Robbin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #226 on: February 13, 2013, 12:34:14 AM »
"Bake me a pie of love" - Steve Winwood

guy le douche

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 0
« Reply #227 on: February 13, 2013, 12:36:37 AM »
This video scientifically, historically and biblically proves that Jesus (and Hebrew Israelites) are black. I can hear a stupid Christian right now saying "Jesus's color doesn't matter"... Exodus 20:4 "Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth"

Monty Burns

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -325
  • Release the hounds
« Reply #228 on: February 13, 2013, 01:03:29 AM »
Always hate when shit like this comes up . Not really Like woodstock would come up with some great point that would convert all of us . Or like we would convince him to change his mind and see our point . I understand the need and the joy of having a conversation about things like this but when you are up against a " true beliver " its one sided and pretty shit

Ive read the bible 2 times and im sad to say thats 2 more times then alot of the christians who belive in Jesus and God . So many of ppl ive come across havent read it and when Ive asked why they havent read their most important book , they dont really have a good answer .

the book has some good points and rules to live by , and a boat full of bad ones . Christians also seem to pick and choose from the good stuff they want from the old and new testiment . Like saying god is about love and peace , pointing to the new testiment , when asked about all the shit that went down in old testiment , they say they follow the new testiment , not the old , but then they pick out tons old rules from the old testiment , and ignore other rules they dont follow .

From what ive read from the bible , one of the times it comes it says something like " a man should not lay with another man as he does with a woman "   well that would mean being gay is cool aslong as you are a woman  . still alot of bashing of female homosexuals then .

All my friends who are religius , muslim , christian , jewish . They NEVER push it on ppl , or even talk about it . They belive in it and are smart not to piss ppl off by talking about it . they keep it to themselfs . And I dont push my belifes on them either .thats why we are friends

take a lesson from them woodstock . When ppl talk all the time about happy they are or how good things are going from them I tend to belive that they forcing it too much . and lying . so when you are talking about how happy u are now and how shit things were , but now everything is good thanks to god ...

A god who is against other religiuns , against homosexuality , against science and awhole bunch of other stuff . fuck that god

Anyways , I would write other stuff , longer stuff but I mean cmon fuck it . Woodstalk is only making these threads and posts to promote his christian websites .

Ive found that liink hes posting in 3 or 4 random threads .

Grubby Mits

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -76
  • kim you need to leave him
« Reply #229 on: February 13, 2013, 02:26:34 AM »
This thread is great, it's a microcosm of the the type of shit that spawns hatred towards religious fundamentalist.  If Christian doctrine is correct then I'll be happily roasting in hell because clearly the company will be better there.

'When I die fuck it i wanna to go to hell
cause im a piece of shit it aint hard to fucking tell
it dont make sense going to heaven with the goodie goodies
dressed in white, i like black tim's and black hoodies
god would probably have me on some real strict shit
no sleepin all day no geting my dick licked
hanging with the goodie goodies loungin in paradise
fuck that shit i wanna tote guns and shoot dice
all my life ive been considered as the worst
lying to my mother even stealin out her purse
crime after crime from drugs to extortion
i know my mother wish she got a fucking abortion'

Beeda Weeda

« Reply #230 on: February 13, 2013, 06:57:14 AM »
slap, where actual gay men, minorities and transvestites get respect, but a faggot like simon woodstock are put in their place.

saucy ragu

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 515
« Reply #231 on: February 13, 2013, 07:20:27 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Jesus was anything but conservative.
Quote from: brent
sorrymom, when 112 sing to you what kinda feelin do it bring to you?

Seamus_McShamebag

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 855
« Reply #232 on: February 13, 2013, 08:44:14 AM »
This thread, as expressed through interpretive dance...

Act 1: Pages 1 - 2...

Act 2: Pages 3 - whatever...

sleepypancakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 228
  • Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #233 on: February 13, 2013, 08:50:17 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
So it seems as if man failed you. God says in the bible that man will always fail us, but He never will (One example is Psalm 27:10). To me, it seems like your church didn't have Christ's love at the center....which is a real shame, and I'm honestly sorry that all had to happen. I feel as if my church handles homosexuality very well. They tolerate the choice even though they don't support it. They believe that everyone deserves Christ's love which is very important as well as Biblical.
[close]
I'm gonna go ahead and call you on this one, "tolerate" is a very easy way to say that they will never support it. I've been getting "tolerated" my entire life, I'm still "tolerated" by people who claim to love the sinner and hate the sin. I'm "tolerated" by the religious that turn their heads when I'm in public with my significant other, doing nothing but holding hands. I've been "tolerated" enough. Don't be fake to my face, I know what a majority (not all, I won't generalize, there are some very supportive religious people) of people with religion think. You might assume that I don't care what other people think and I shouldn't, and I don't as much now, but being bullied in jr. high getting called a faggot everyday is gonna leave some marks and some hostility. So I'm tired of being "tolerated" tolerating someone is being in the same room or sitting next to someone on a plane and hating it but not doing much to counteract it. If you believe that everyone is deserving of equal love and equal treatment then I want my complete civil rights now.

/rant
[close]

Tolerate: Allow the existence, occurrence, or practice of (something that one does not necessarily like or agree with) without interference.

With that being said, I don't have to agree with everyones beliefs. However, I'm still going to treat them like a normal person regardless of the choices they make in life. Just like you can tolerate my faith, even though you don't have agree/accept Christianity. I have plenty of friends that are gay and I thoroughly enjoy chillen with them.� I have no room to say that my lifestyle is better than anyone else's. I am no better than you.
Which is why I didn't mean to generalize as all Christians being homophobic. But. A lot of Christians won't see it from my side either.

It's almost akin to telling a racist joke and then saying "Well, I have black friends so it's ok" when in reality it isn't. Discrimination is discrimination.

When you've been told your entire life, especially when you're younger, by people of "authority" and faith that you are an abomination of God, a sin embodied, something that they try and "cure" like you're a disease on the face of the planet; you don't really want to deal with those people, which is a fault of mine that I generalize now, out of anger or resentment or what have you, it's gotten better, in college I wouldn't even deal with religion in any form. But now, as I see my rights that I feel I am entitled to just like heterosexual people, stopped, almost every time they're put on a ballot as "defiling the sanctity of marriage" because of religion you tend to get alienated.  It's hard to describe it to people who haven't lived it, people who don't really know. I don't know of any other gay guys on here other than GAY and myself, and maybe Dylan Rieder if he lurks the boards, but that's beside the point.

GAY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 3337
  • Those that SLAP, can't.
« Reply #234 on: February 13, 2013, 09:06:11 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Hey buddy. Sorry to hear about the rough spots in your journey in life. I'm not an expert on this topic, but the former homosexuals that I have talked to have said that their sexual behavior wound up being the root of their emotional and spiritual problems. I have found personally that trying to obey the Bible the best that I can has helped me greatly in life. I know the Bible speaks a lot on sexuality, if your ever in the mood you might want to check out Romans 1:23-27 and 1 Corinthians 6:9. These passages have been a great help to a lot of people. peace.

Again, I think you're very well intentioned but you said it yourself: You're not an expert on this topic.

GAY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 3337
  • Those that SLAP, can't.
« Reply #235 on: February 13, 2013, 09:22:37 AM »
Also, I apologize to everybody about the fact that this has become a so focused on homosexuality, but it's the quickest way in our current climate of morality in this country to get people to come forward with that, "Love the sinner. Hate the sin" BS. If nothing else, at least Fred Phelps and the Westborough Baptist Church don't sit on some fence, refusing to take a stance. Obviously I don't agree with them, but I'd rather have someone call me a fag and scream into my face that I'm going to burn in hell than to deal with someone who's like, "Who am I to judge? We've all sinned and come short of the glory of God," while in the back of their mind thinking, "That poor queer...an eternity in the lake of fire, gnashing of teeth, the whole 9." I don't need your pity and I certainly don't need your tolerance. If you don't accept me exactly as I am, fuck off.

the snake

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 350
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #236 on: February 13, 2013, 10:37:29 AM »
GAY answer ;D

i'm joking, GAY, i wish you the best, dude

Cockaigne

• Rep: 0
« Reply #237 on: February 13, 2013, 01:08:32 PM »
I just found some semi-new Simon Woodstock footy:

dillanharp

« Reply #238 on: February 13, 2013, 01:52:35 PM »

Seems legit.

Buddha

• Rep: -205
« Reply #239 on: February 13, 2013, 11:14:44 PM »
"And I know god personally
In fact he let's me call him me"
-Saul Williams.