Author Topic: The Official Extremely Sorry Thread  (Read 49574 times)

SlutBang666

Re: The Official Extremely Sorry Thread
« Reply #390 on: October 16, 2009, 03:21:29 PM »
Did anyone else notice Luan barley grinds or slides on anything that he dosen't have to. Tech tricks get kinda lame when you tink the ledge.

Vans.and.Vnecks

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -8
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #391 on: October 16, 2009, 05:27:34 PM »
No. I've watched it multiple times and didn't see any barley grinds. If you meant to say barely grinds, then I still have to disagree with you.

Sidewayslurkzine

« Reply #392 on: October 16, 2009, 05:54:26 PM »
Lance Mountain

ThatOneGuy

• Rep: -29
« Reply #393 on: October 16, 2009, 07:32:00 PM »
blew mindfield out of the water.

Hell no. Watching Mindfield would STILL get me more hyped to go skate than Extremely Sorry, and that shit came out over a year ago.  Flip fucked this one up with the editing, end of story.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2009, 07:34:32 PM by ThatOneGuy »

Gomez

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -441
« Reply #394 on: October 16, 2009, 07:44:53 PM »
^^ over a year ago?  ::) and at least when the intros were done in the flip video, they didn't throw in random claymation skits into the middle of the part. all i have to do watching extremely sorry is skip over the intros and i can just watch the rest of the part without interruption.
NickDagger's review was spot on so I'm not going to write a full part by part analysis...

Rowley - the song actually suits his part in the same way that his really sorry part did. I wouldn't dream of listening to the track exclusively but it it went well with his skating. The 180 between the containers is one of the gnarliest things ever done in skateboarding.

Luan - watch the feet, mute the volume, ridiculous skills.

Ali - Pink panther ruined it. The skating was really sick though. He truly is an original.

Appleyard - song was actually quite good. As Nick said it wasn't ground breaking but his style is ridiculously smooth and his part is probably one of the one's I'd actually watch again.

David Gonzalez - Beast.

In general I'll give it a good pass. Like, the clay stuff wasn't as bad as expected, it certainly was more tame than the intros in 'Sorry'. It's obvious the hey-day of the Boulala/Bastien/Arto/Penny antics from Sorry can't be recreated. Those days were magical in their own respect and obviosuly you're not going to get the same resulting antics with the likes of Bob and Louie. Saying that maybe the younger skaters will come to be a bit more tight knit and the 'team feeling' might evolve. I just think this is what's lacking these days with videos/teams. There seems to be less emphasis on teams with a bunch of guys that actually skate together and now it seems the 'international' feel has taken over. Not that there's anything wrong with the aforementioned, but I think it kind of goes against what a team is supposed to be. I suppose that's why Girl/Chocolate still works.

Oh and how horrific was that song in the outro - what was it like fucking R&B or something?
first fs flip nosegrind on a handrail i've ever seen, biggest tre flip noseslide on a handrail i've seen before, i can't remember previously seeing a switch tailside 270 out on a handrail or a switch 180 5050 nollie back 180 out on a hubba. on another note, i thought it was weird that the nollie back noseblunt, very rarely done, on that sylmar rail was sort of just thrown into the beginning, but the tre flip lipslide on it was double angled and slow mo'd and one of the last tricks in the part.

still though, i agree with you on videos these days. probably why all of the baker/deathwish videos are instant favorites for me.

Tuna

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 225
« Reply #395 on: October 16, 2009, 09:05:00 PM »
^^ over a year ago?  ::) and at least when the intros were done in the flip video, they didn't throw in random claymation skits into the middle of the part. all i have to do watching extremely sorry is skip over the intros and i can just watch the rest of the part without interruption.
Expand Quote
NickDagger's review was spot on so I'm not going to write a full part by part analysis...

Rowley - the song actually suits his part in the same way that his really sorry part did. I wouldn't dream of listening to the track exclusively but it it went well with his skating. The 180 between the containers is one of the gnarliest things ever done in skateboarding.

Ali - Pink panther ruined it. The skating was really sick though. He truly is an original.

Appleyard - song was actually quite good. As Nick said it wasn't ground breaking but his style is ridiculously smooth and his part is probably one of the one's I'd actually watch again.

David Gonzalez - Beast.

In general I'll give it a good pass. Like, the clay stuff wasn't as bad as expected, it certainly was more tame than the intros in 'Sorry'. It's obvious the hey-day of the Boulala/Bastien/Arto/Penny antics from Sorry can't be recreated. Those days were magical in their own respect and obviosuly you're not going to get the same resulting antics with the likes of Bob and Louie. Saying that maybe the younger skaters will come to be a bit more tight knit and the 'team feeling' might evolve. I just think this is what's lacking these days with videos/teams. There seems to be less emphasis on teams with a bunch of guys that actually skate together and now it seems the 'international' feel has taken over. Not that there's anything wrong with the aforementioned, but I think it kind of goes against what a team is supposed to be. I suppose that's why Girl/Chocolate still works.

Oh and how horrific was that song in the outro - what was it like fucking R&B or something?
[close]
first fs flip nosegrind on a handrail i've ever seen, biggest tre flip noseslide on a handrail i've seen before, i can't remember previously seeing a switch tailside 270 out on a handrail or a switch 180 5050 nollie back 180 out on a hubba. on another note, i thought it was weird that the nollie back noseblunt, very rarely done, on that sylmar rail was sort of just thrown into the beginning, but the tre flip lipslide on it was double angled and slow mo'd and one of the last tricks in the part.

still though, i agree with you on videos these days. probably why all of the baker/deathwish videos are instant favorites for me.

yeah and that shit was in his transworld street skater of the year interview back in 03 or somethin.

Smurph

• Rep: 30
« Reply #396 on: October 17, 2009, 12:16:38 PM »
[/quote]
Oh don't get me wrong, I think Appleyard is sick but it was kind of what you'd expect from him. 'Ground breaking' wasn't meant in a frivelous sense. If something is ground-breaking it's proper shit-your-pants type amazement.

Oh and if you want to see an awesome flip front nosegrind, see Kirchart's section in Mindfield.

And for reference, Kirchart's backside flip at the end is a fine example of underwear-debasing-material.

Gomez

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -441
« Reply #397 on: October 17, 2009, 12:27:57 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Oh don't get me wrong, I think Appleyard is sick but it was kind of what you'd expect from him. 'Ground breaking' wasn't meant in a frivelous sense. If something is ground-breaking it's proper shit-your-pants type amazement.

Oh and if you want to see an awesome flip front nosegrind, see Kirchart's section in Mindfield.

And for reference, Kirchart's backside flip at the end is a fine example of underwear-debasing-material.
it was a fs flip nosegrind, not a kickflip front nosegrind.

Smurph

• Rep: 30
« Reply #398 on: October 17, 2009, 01:19:55 PM »
My mistake. Appleyard is rad.

sk8fool

• Rep: -30
« Reply #399 on: October 18, 2009, 05:09:02 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

David Gonzalez - Beast.

[close]

[close]

yeah and that shit was in his transworld street skater of the year interview back in 03 or somethin.

The Nollie Back Noseblunt was a recycled clip from Volcom Chichagof. I think it was apples ender in that.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1582
« Reply #400 on: October 18, 2009, 11:20:45 AM »
i've watched gang of fourstar three times and I haven't made it through this one completely yet. 

Tuna

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 225
« Reply #401 on: October 18, 2009, 12:18:37 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

David Gonzalez - Beast.

[close]

[close]

[close]

The Nollie Back Noseblunt was a recycled clip from Volcom Chichagof. I think it was apples ender in that.

I'm pretty sure it was in some australian video actually that had a lot of the same clips as chichagof.

alrightythen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -21
« Reply #402 on: October 18, 2009, 03:18:47 PM »
Just watched Rodrigo's part for like the 10th time. God DAMN there's some good shit in there.

It would be nice to be able to watch it with the sound on, but I guess we can't have everything...

jeremyrandall

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 67
    • Ninetimes Skate Shop avatar image
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #403 on: October 18, 2009, 03:28:40 PM »
Expand Quote

David Gonzalez - Beast.

[close]

There's a few guys out there who are SOOO FUCKING GOOD at skateboarding and make it look so easy that they can do groundbreaking shit and you hardly even notice.  It takes like two or three watches to realize how fucking insane the tricks they do are cause they are doing them so easily.  Apples is definitely one of those guys.

tonysean

« Reply #404 on: October 18, 2009, 05:13:38 PM »
the music sucks so much
i watched it on mute pretty much the whole time

Thom Verlaine

« Reply #405 on: October 18, 2009, 08:50:57 PM »
Are your wheels made of teflon?
You skate tight trucks, don't you.

The board doesn't flip... you're puzzled!

MyUserName

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 176
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #406 on: October 19, 2009, 08:10:27 AM »
Does the DVD have any bonus footage?

...does anyone want to upload it?

GnarlesManson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -118
« Reply #407 on: October 19, 2009, 10:40:58 AM »

its throwaway footy from louie and luan, and trailers.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 689
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #408 on: October 19, 2009, 12:19:34 PM »
is the stand by me song a cover by lemmy ????

alrightythen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #409 on: October 19, 2009, 01:24:33 PM »
yeah, i thought it turned out quite well

popeyesfriedchicken

• Rep: -250
« Reply #410 on: October 19, 2009, 02:08:27 PM »

got my copy in the mail today...  bummed that the "bonus" is only like five minutes of throwaway footage.  you'd think since it took them five years to make this video it would be a b roll section longer than mind field.  oh well. 

krewkruxklan

• Rep: 17
    • SUPRFI$CAL avatar image
« Reply #411 on: October 19, 2009, 02:12:00 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
yeah, i thought it turned out quite well
best song in the entire video

cats is nice but I aint seen god since hova spit that navy blue to me
SUPRFI$CAL

« Reply #412 on: October 19, 2009, 02:25:29 PM »
That Lemmy song was the best song in the vid. Rest of the soundtrack sucked dicks bigtime!!! Someone make a good remix of rodrigos part!!!!!

alrightythen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #413 on: October 20, 2009, 02:53:31 AM »
agreed, wasn't that stoked on the editing

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
« Reply #414 on: October 20, 2009, 08:37:41 AM »
cant believe so many people were bummed on the music i tohught it suited the video very well especially lance mountain's song it was rocking. louie's song was good too. i liked the editing in that video it was more like the 90s, bringin it back

jeremyrandall

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 67
    • Ninetimes Skate Shop avatar image
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #415 on: October 20, 2009, 09:40:09 AM »
The real bummer was Shane Cross's part.  All that animation ruined some really really good footage.  And I talked to a filmer/editor friend of mine who told me that would seriously be at least a hundred hours of editing work to make all that shit.  Talk about a WASTE of time.

I'm sure they wanted to do something special since it was his last part ever and all...but that was the WRONG CHOICE!!

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
« Reply #416 on: October 20, 2009, 10:57:24 AM »
i thought it was kind of cool but i really doubt it took 100 hours

Carrolls Chesthairs

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 120
« Reply #417 on: October 20, 2009, 10:59:33 AM »
at least rowley and apples had watchable parts

kevbo999

« Reply #418 on: October 20, 2009, 11:14:09 AM »
I'm thinking there's still a lot of unseen Shane footage out there.  I mean he'd been rocking the long hair and party shirts for awhile, but Let's Live and the Flip vid only had a few clips of "recent" Shane.  Even if it's throwaway it would get me more stoked than his craziest jumps.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
« Reply #419 on: October 20, 2009, 11:19:31 AM »
shane cross looks a lot like herman and trepasso from far away