Author Topic: Guy Mariano on Chinese Skateboarding Reality TV Show  (Read 1806 times)

links, pics, and quotes

Guy Mariano on Chinese Skateboarding Reality TV Show
« on: July 11, 2019, 12:55:13 PM »
http://www.jenkemmag.com/home/2019/07/11/china-now-skateboarding-reality-show/

The show’s producers have made efforts to reduce the kookiness factor by inviting actually good skateboarders to compete and consulting with people who work with real skate brands in China, such as Vans. They also filmed a segment with Guy Mariano in which he dresses up as a monk and leads a series of skate challenges on ledges, flat bars, and other obstacles.

« Last Edit: July 11, 2019, 05:43:29 PM by links, pics, and quotes »

pdknox

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 6
Re: From Jenkem - China Now Has A Skateboarding Reality TV Show
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2019, 01:33:01 PM »
that second video isnt bad but itd be better if dyrdek was hosting

Cool Ceith

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 614
  • Did someone say sassy?
Re: Guy Mariano on Chinese Skateboarding Reality TV Show
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2019, 12:03:29 AM »
One In a Mirrion?

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1570
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2019, 04:23:10 AM »
From the article:

“This could be a good way for people to understand skateboarders more in China. Just because it’s so frowned upon here,” Johnny said. “Chinese people think you’re just a person who has nothing better to do. You don’t have a job, you don’t have a family, you just play your skateboard.”

When did skateboarders start caring about how the average joe perceives them, exactly? Why does skateboarding have to be branded to the masses? I'm not certain selling out is the only possible progress. Sometimes I actually do really miss the (obviously long gone) pre-THPS days when nobody had a fucking clue what it was that we were doing up their street trying to jump onto everything. I don't want to get kicked out of spots by dads who think they can give me tips on back tails because they've seen a few on TV, to have to resort to a skatepark full of the motherfucker's offspring on scooters, unmonitored. I'm all for as many kids as possible to ever get to catch a glimpse of skating and start doing it, but only if there's something special left in it that they can find and grow from; and I'm all for social harmony, but going at it that way just dilutes the culture and ensures that it never leaves the mall again.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2019, 04:25:29 AM by silhouette »

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 263
  • tiger style
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2019, 04:36:14 AM »
the olympics are going to be weird

thebunsman69

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2019, 04:51:42 AM »
"Mariano faced backlash from the show's producers after he asked if his assistant went pee-pee in his coke..."

S.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 71
    • Fotos avatar image
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2019, 05:35:31 AM »